April 29, 2024, 05:49:44 AM

Author Topic: Mohamed Bin Hammam and Jack Warner charged by FIFA over alleged bribes  (Read 107415 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts: Awesome impact on local football
« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2011, 05:33:01 AM »
Asked whether he thought Warner should continue to hold the posts of FIFA vice-president and Works Minister, Roberts said he saw no problem with it.

aaaaahhhhh boy Anil, yuh eh disappoint at all.  Hear what jokey bout this eh, the COP in a statement say he should step aside, but the man who running to lead the party say he eh see no problem with the situation.....ah guess Anil running a campaign of "new politics"??   ::)

Whey de COP people on this forum......talk to me folks, all yuh really serious about electing this man as leader??   ??? :-\

Anil is de new Hulsie Bhaggan......... a renegade........ doing his own ting

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
This could be no more evident than Blatter's press conference which is a classic, you simply don't treat the international press like that without any payback.

It is only a matter of when not if FIFA has it house cleaned for it, maybe this is the tipping point maybe not.  But the likelyhood is that when it does happen the poorer football nations will suffer due to the perception or otherwise of the "tainted funding" recieved in the past and how the present voting system has helped.

I honestly think this will be Blatter's downfall, the degree of pomposity was just astounding... what with the talk of "this is FIFA house" and "you cannot question me, I am the President of FIFA".  You'd think the press was changing money in St. Peter's Basilica, and questioning Christ himself.  It would be funny if he wasn't being so dead serious.  John Cleese, Eric Idle and the rest of the Monty Python crew could not have written a more farcical script.  Under different circumstances you'd half expect him to look into the camera at the end and say "live from Zurich, this is Saturday Night!".

Yeah I now read it and as much as we like to beat Jack, Blatter prove that he is the grand puba of boldfaced contempt. It almost making Jack a sympathetic figure, almost.

That interview was shocking.

Most of us here does dismiss all FIFA bobol as par for the course because we so accustom to Jack but I wonder how much effect this will have on more casual observers in the general public. People who hear talk about FIFA but never pay attention. For example, I never paid attention to the Olympic bidding process even at the height of their scandal yet they were forced to make changes.

The big difference I could see is that although FIFA has a higher profile the Olympics, has different stakeholders, specifically the US who regularly bids to host and is the biggest rights purchaser. They must have been forced into action.

In FIFA the biggest stakeholder is UEFA and they well in cahoots, and the others just happy to get money kicked back to them every year. Just yesterday I hear Beckenbauer fully supporting Bladder and Platini saying nothing. Of course Germany get World Cups in 74 and 2006 (while England can't get one since 1966) and France get 1998 so Sepp done buy their support/silence.

It will be interesting to see if them men start getting pressure from their home nations.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jack Warner's travel company arranged flights for Fifa delegates to meeting where alleged bribes took place

Allegedly, CFU members were told if they did not book through SIMPAUL, they would not receive a refund. In Bin Hammans report to Ethics Committee there was apparently $100,000 difference between what he paid to Warner and the actual cost!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
this has gone from the realm of embarrassment to the realm of ???

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/31/fifa-in-crisis-live-blog

" In what has to be the most hilarious development so far (in an admittedly highly competitive and crowded field) Jack Warner has insisted to the Caribbean Football Union that their Fifa delegates must vote for Sepp Blatter in tomorrow's presidential decider (coronation). If you need reminding this is the same Sepp who must be stopped, according to Warner, and who announced JW's suspension following Chuck Blazer's allegations of bribery.

Here's the line from Sb from Reuters:

Suspended CONCACAF president Jack Warner wrote to members of the Caribbean Football Union on Tuesday reminding them that they should vote for incumbent Sepp Blatter in FIFA's presidential election.
    Warner, who was provisionally suspended on Sunday pending an ethics committee investigation into allegations of bribery, asked Caribbean Football Union members not to protest against his suspension during the FIFA congress.

and in the latest development Chuck Blazer is claiming that Warner has violated the Fifa ban. 
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

" In what has to be the most hilarious development so far (in an admittedly highly competitive and crowded field) Jack Warner has insisted to the Caribbean Football Union that their Fifa delegates must vote for Sepp Blatter in tomorrow's presidential decider (coronation). If you need reminding this is the same Sepp who must be stopped, according to Warner, and who announced JW's suspension following Chuck Blazer's allegations of bribery.

Suspended CONCACAF president Jack Warner wrote to members of the Caribbean Football Union on Tuesday reminding them that they should vote for incumbent Sepp Blatter in FIFA's presidential election.
    Warner, who was provisionally suspended on Sunday pending an ethics committee investigation into allegations of bribery, asked Caribbean Football Union members not to protest against his suspension during the FIFA congress.

and in the latest development Chuck Blazer is claiming that Warner has violated the Fifa ban. 

I always thought Jack would  still be clinging to power and gradually ride out into the sunset while controlling the TTFF behind the scenes for years to come. After being virtually untouchable for so long who would have thought he would become the global poster boy for inept circus clown. Justice being served, and he eating his come-uppence right in front the entire world.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile

I always thought Jack would  still be clinging to power and gradually ride out into the sunset while controlling the TTFF behind the scenes for years to come. After being virtually untouchable for so long who would have thought he would become the global poster boy for inept circus clown. Justice being served, and he eating his come-uppence right in front the entire world.

I am not sure what this letter does for his reputation other than coming across as a fool IMO.

Warner this afternoon made public a letter he had written to the 25 members of the Caribbean Football Union - an action in itself that could be a breach of this suspension - urging them to vote for Sepp Blatter in tomorrow's election and make no protest.

The letter states: "I, Jack Warner, a servant and believer in the principles of this beautiful game do humbly besiege you, my brothers and sisters from the Caribbean Football Union to desist from initiating any protest action at tomorrow's FIFA Congress.
"I know many of you are hurting and it is only human nature that you would want to demonstrate your anger but despite all we must not fuel a fire set by others to incinerate all that we strive for.
"At our last meeting we agreed as a union to support the incumbent Joseph Sepp Blatter in his quest to regain the presidency. I wish to assure you nothing has changed - our mandate was set then and despite it all we must fulfil it.
"The battles I have fought over the last week are my burdens to bear; my shoulders are broad and skin is insulated to the verbal attacks I am subjected to daily. This is now my battle. I am humbled by all the support I continue to receive. Let us not be detracted for your duty is to football."

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile

The Tsunami turn out to be not even ah piss in ah pot.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
The USSF is serious about getting Jack out.  Blazer is not backing down at all!  He on Jack trail like Matelot.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Wha bout...if they was always going to vote for Sepp.

Just trying to MILK Bin Hamman for all he have and take his gifts.

Jack is the man who had to orchestrate it ....but Blazer, Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos and Bahamas ent get the memo to take the money and hush they arse.

Why yuh feel Lisle Austin want Blazer to explain...is cause he shit up the plan.

End of the day...Sepp get his last 4 yrs...ride out into the sunset.

Bin Hamman feel he have Concacaf support...next election he look to share the wealth when he win and share out some of the transportable Quatar stadiums after the WC. Concacaf feels good, justifies their .5 place spot and gets the benefit of a few goal projects.

Everybody happy...all pockets fat...and ting in order.

Dat was d original plan.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jack in this game long time.

And everybody know this is no news.

Jack get in charge by promising favors/ bribery of all the west indian nations in the first place.
So how this come to be news

Fifa on the whole corrupt and Jack is the chief

Why else would they run and vote on 2-3 world cups all at the same time. It is to maximize the money.

Jack know he time coming soon and Blatter know he was leaving so they look to get all they could get before the day come.

All these men just greedy beyond everyday comprehension.

I hope FIFA collapse and something else form up

Let we look to start something and maybe we could charge a registration fee

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
I am not sure what this letter does for his reputation other than coming across as a fool IMO.

Warner this afternoon made public a letter he had written to the 25 members of the Caribbean Football Union - an action in itself that could be a breach of this suspension - urging them to vote for Sepp Blatter in tomorrow's election and make no protest.

The letter states: "I, Jack Warner, a servant and believer in the principles of this beautiful game do humbly besiege you, my brothers and sisters from the Caribbean Football Union to desist from initiating any protest action at tomorrow's FIFA Congress.
"I know many of you are hurting and it is only human nature that you would want to demonstrate your anger but despite all we must not fuel a fire set by others to incinerate all that we strive for.
"At our last meeting we agreed as a union to support the incumbent Joseph Sepp Blatter in his quest to regain the presidency. I wish to assure you nothing has changed - our mandate was set then and despite it all we must fulfil it.
"The battles I have fought over the last week are my burdens to bear; my shoulders are broad and skin is insulated to the verbal attacks I am subjected to daily. This is now my battle. I am humbled by all the support I continue to receive. Let us not be detracted for your duty is to football."

Jack really feel any CFU rep was going to bat for him after he get de-clawed? Like he forget FIFA representation is about following the leader and he ent the leader no more.

The whole FIFA thing distastefull intrute and although these developments delightful the sobering thought is that nothing will change. Even if Sepp go the next man will be just as bad because all them who reach the top corrupt by everyday standards. Is only in FIFA where that kinda horse trading and favour granting is considered business as usual.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Jack is the man who had to orchestrate it ....but Blazer, Puerto Rico, Turks and Caicos and Bahamas ent get the memo to take the money and hush they arse.

Why yuh feel Lisle Austin want Blazer to explain...is cause he shit up the plan.

Bin Hamman feel he have Concacaf support...next election he look to share the wealth when he win and share out some of the transportable Quatar stadiums after the WC. Concacaf feels good, justifies their .5 place spot and gets the benefit of a few goal projects.

Dat was d original plan.

That sound about right.

Except.....dem fellas doh lapse on dem kinda "memos"

Ah tink wha happen is dat Jack is de one get played.

That "MAY" have been the original plan....but Blatter know his reelection wouldnt be a shoo in.....given the image problems FIFA has, he needed to run a campaign that could rally the forces.  And what better way to do that than to run on a campaign of cleaning up FIFA's image by stamping out corruption?  That would be his legacy.  But for the plan to wuk, they needed a fall guy.  A big enough fish to make it APPEAR that they serious.

Guess who?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Dat was d original plan.

That sound about right.

That "MAY" have been the original plan....but Blatter know his reelection wouldnt be a shoo in.....given the image problems FIFA has, he needed to run a campaign that could rally the forces.  And what better way to do that than to run on a campaign of cleaning up FIFA's image by stamping out corruption?  That would be his legacy.  But for the plan to wuk, they needed a fall guy.  A big enough fish to make it APPEAR that they serious.

Guess who?

Lee Majors aka d 6 millin dollar man?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

but despite all we must not fuel a fire set by others to incinerate all that we strive for

:rotfl: Language boy! A scintillating ca-ca-phony of purple prose. Jack striving for Shakespearean heights and end up channelling Harlequin Romance. He must be hire diamond trim to write he speeches
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
[. Jack striving for Shakespearean heights and end up channelling Harlequin Romance.
:D

De Funny ting is ah hearin real allegations of Qatar buy dey world cup....but nobody mentionin russia.

Russia get dey own legit? or dey fraid putin poison some people if he country name get call
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Jack does look like a real mad man when backed up into a corner

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
[. Jack striving for Shakespearean heights and end up channelling Harlequin Romance.

De Funny ting is ah hearin real allegations of Qatar buy dey world cup....but nobody mentionin russia.

Russia get dey own legit? or dey fraid putin poison some people if he country name get call

nah, dey more interested in Tennis

Mysterious posters of Putin, Medvedev in tennis whites to be removed

National Post May 31, 2011
The Russian government ordered the removal Monday of mysterious posters depicting the country’s rulers in matching tennis shorts. Billboards with the logo of the department store TsUM were on display in central Moscow. They show President Dmitry Medvedev holding a tennis racket, while Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is empty-handed. The store said it had nothing to do with the ads. The posters include the address of the website Monolog.tv. The poster’s creator called them “street art … I took the two most famous people in our country ... who are completely isolated from the world of fashion and show business,” the artist wrote.

Sorry Mods ... could not resist Putin this here  :angel:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile

Dat was d original plan.

That sound about right.

Guess who?

:thumbsup:
Dais it right they!! Jack get played big time!!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
Chicken has come home to roost.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Jack really feel any CFU rep was going to bat for him after he get de-clawed? Like he forget FIFA representation is about following the leader and he ent the leader no more.

I don't think this letter is about that. It have 3 possibilities for the medium term 1) Sepp back in charge and Jack in exile 2) all of them get kicked out 3) Sepp back in power and Jack get forgiven. As unlikely as the last option is it's the only way Jack could still be in the mix when the dust settles. I think when the fight had just start he had delusions that he coulda push out Blatter.

The charge that Jack on the hook for is for bribing people to vote against Blatter. I think this is just an attempt to discredit that charge.

the real tragedy is that 208 FAs couldn't come up with a better cast of characters to choose from.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chicken has come home to roost.

after reading the latest letter to the CFU

Look like de chicken climb in ah red and white box wit medium fries
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

*cough* *cough*

Doh expect to hear dat kinda talk from Jack anytime soon  :whistling:

Warner meets Putin in Moscow

http://www.newsday.co.tt/sport/0,129900.html
Thursday, October 28 2010

FIFA vice-president Jack Warner met with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin at the Presidential Office in the Kremlin, Moscow on Tuesday afternoon.

Warner was officially invited to Moscow by Putin since May, but the long-standing football administrator declined at the time due to the Trinidad and Tobago General Election campaign, and his subsequent initiation period as Minister of Works and Transport.
[continued]

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
REPORTS OUT OF THE UK:  Jack Warner is now in full support of Sepp Blatter
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:20:02 PM by Babalawo »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Jack promise a "Tsunami."

Blatter must be stopped.

Now vote for Blatter, all in 24 hours.

I have a feeling dey make up behind closed doors.

Sepp cah afford for Jackos to spill de beans.

jack just had to get put in he place and know not to go against Massah Sepp. Now that he know it and the Asian fella get kick to the side is business as usual. But if JW family could sell tickets illegally and Jack barely get a rap on the knuckles - dey could easilly brush away the $ 1 million Sepp give to CONCACAF.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile

Blatter must be stopped.

jack just had to get put in he place and know not to go against Massah Sepp. Now that he know it and the Asian fella get kick to the side is business as usual. But if JW family could sell tickets illegally and Jack barely get a rap on the knuckles - dey could easilly brush away the $ 1 million Sepp give to CONCACAF.

VB

Are you hoping this is the case or you're simply speculating?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Blatter must be stopped.

VB

Everything in this thread beyond the news reports is speculation - and entertaining to a point.

The way I read it: Jack try to stab Sepp in the back, Sepp backup plan Chuck stab Jack in the back, Jack then break out the threat of the nuclear option. (If I going down, all ah we going down, tsunami etc) Everybody now slowly backing away from the Mexican standoff, claiming it was all just a big misunderstanding.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mohamed Bin Hammam’s anger at campaign of 'dirty tricks' in race for Fifa presidency
By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter in Zurich10:34PM BST 31 May 2011 Comment
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/8549068/Mohamed-Bin-Hammams-anger-at-campaign-of-dirty-tricks-in-race-for-Fifa-presidency.html

Mohamed Bin Hammam stood down from the Fifa presidential election race to prevent Qatar’s successful 2022 World Cup bid campaign facing further investigation by the world governing body, sources close to the process have told Telegraph Sport.

Bin Hammam withdrew his challenge to Fifa president Sepp Blatter early on Sunday, hours before he was suspended pending an investigation into bribery allegations.

His withdrawal means Blatter will stand unopposed in Wednesday's election, but came only after discussions between Bin Hammam and the Emir of Qatar, who backed the bid with huge financial and diplomatic resources.
Qatar’s World Cup bid has been the subject of repeated corruption allegations, all denied. With Bin Hammam himself the subject of allegations that he offered $1 million in bribes to Caribbean football officials, there was concern in Qatar that Blatter and the Fifa executive might use the threat of an investigation into the bid as leverage against Bin Hammam.

Sources in the Bin Hammam camp have told Telegraph Sport that he sacrificed his personal ambition “in the national interest”.

Bin Hammam agreed to step down, but only reluctantly as, according to close confidants, he is deeply angered by what he feels is a politically-motivated campaign of dirty tricks against him.

The concern in Qatar is that the electoral politics could impact on Qatar’s success, which was achieved despite the objections of Blatter and the Fifa general secretary Jérôme Valcke.

Blatter had hoped bin Hammam would withdraw following a meeting between the Fifa president and the Crown Prince of Qatar on May 12. When he did not, Blatter’s camp became increasingly concerned at the president’s prospects of winning a fourth term.

Bin Hammam declined to comment on his reasons for withdrawal, but there is huge anger within his camp at recent events, which they believe are the product of an orchestrated campaign by Blatter and his allies to prevent him contesting the election.

“Blatter’s game plan from the start has been to prevent Mohamed getting to the ballot box on Wednesday,” said a Bin Hammam confidant. “They knew that if he did, then Bin Hammam would probably win, and until this week Blatter did not seem to have a ‘Plan B’.”

In his appeal document filed on Monday, Bin Hammam described the allegations as “paltry and phoney manoeuvre”, claiming: “It is obvious that the allegations have been submitted to discredit Mr Bin Hammam as a candidate for the forthcoming elections to the Fifa presidency.”

The Bin Hammam camp are convinced that he was in a strong position to win, with an estimated 70-80 votes assured in Africa and Asia, bringing the victory target of 105 into sight.

They insist that his popularity is the product of 20 years building relationships and he offered an alternative to Blatter, who they say after 13 years in the post has lost popularity.

With the Concacaf votes crucial to Bin Hammam’s chances of success, they claim that the visit to Trinidad to lobby the Caribbean Football Union was legitimate and justified, and that it could not have been held without the support of Jack Warner, the CFU president.

They also point to the absence of any evidence directly linking Bin Hammam to the $1 million bribe money.
Bin Hammam certainly retains allies within the Fifa executive committee, among them Egypt’s Hany Abu Rida and Jacques Anouma, of Ivory Coast, who have spent time with him at the Baur Au Lac Hotel, in Zurich, this week.

Blatter has denied any involvement in orchestrating the allegations against Bin Hammam, describing them as “ludicrous and completely reprehensible”.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The warlordism that undermines football
By Mihir Bose
Published: May 31 2011 21:39 | Last updated: May 31 2011 21:39
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3a813c9c-8bb7-11e0-a725-00144feab49a.html#axzz1NyBVYHZ4

Fifa struts about on the world stage as if it is the Vatican of sports – a nation state that does not have territory or an army, but one that brooks little questioning of its authority and which through football can reach places no one else can. Its problem is that unlike the Church of Rome, Fifa has never acquired moral authority. And there is no evidence that, despite facing its gravest crisis, Fifa is prepared to accept that its moral standards may be deficient.

Instead, it continues to insist it is so unique it is answerable only to its own members, or the “football family”, to use Fifa’s favourite phrase. Like the sort of extended family that has gone out of fashion even on the Indian subcontinent, it bristles at the very thought that non-family members may have any right to pry into its affairs, let alone say how it must behave.

This was most evident on Monday night in Zurich as Fifa’s president Sepp Blatter addressed a press conference. Just over 24 hours earlier the organisation’s ethics committee had cleared him of wrongdoing in an alleged corruption scandal but suspended two members of its executive committee: Jack Warner, Fifa’s vice-president from Trinidad and the Qatari head of the Asian Federation, Mohamed bin Hammam. Mr bin Hammam, who was contesting the presidency against Mr Blatter, also withdrew from the race allowing the latter an unopposed fourth term.

Against such a background any head of state might have been expected to sound a note of contrition, or at least make an admission of some responsibility for the mess that has made Fifa the lead item in the world’s media for all the wrong reasons. Yet Mr Blatter presented himself as a man far too busy running his country of football to be bothered by the corruption charges. If all this reinforced his image as the ultimate Teflon politician, his purpose was also to exploit the fact that Fifa is an utterly dysfunctional organisation.

Fifa’s 2010 post-tax profit of $202m makes it a reasonably-sized company, except that Fifa, like a Victorian maiden reacting to the word sex, calls profit ”result”, as if it was a football score. Its accounts run to 116 pages detailing the millions it makes from the World Cup, but give very sparse details of all the other events that lose money, or of what its officials and executives earn. The message Fifa gives is that it likes making money but not the burden that goes with it – the need for transparent corporate governance.

Similarly, the congress, which meets today, has little effective power. Apart from electing a president, it is often a case of the congress proposes and one of Fifa’s many confederations disposes. This was most evident three years ago when Mr Blatter got the congress to approve a rule change that would force clubs to have more homegrown players. Mr Blatter, ever the populist, was responding to demands that the huge increase in foreign players in European clubs was affecting the strength of national teams. Uefa, European football’s governing body, aware it would run foul of the Rome Treaty’s enshrining of the free movement of labour, objected vehemently and the proposals were forgotten.

For all Mr Blatter’s pose as a head of state he cannot even select his own government. The members of Fifa’s executive are elected not by the congress but by the confederations. Some of the elections are curious to say the least. So the British home nations have four seats on Fifa and elect their own Fifa vice-president to the executive. In return for this privilege, the four British home nations are not allowed to vote in the Uefa elections that choose the other seven European Fifa executive members.

This has encouraged the growth in many confederations, of leaders who are more like regional warlords, each with their separate power-bases. In many ways the meeting in Trinidad between Mr bin Hammam and Mr Warner where the alleged vote-buying took place exemplified this syndrome because both were presidents of their confederations at the time. Even if there was no corruption, this was effectively a trade-off. Mr Blatter may now sound like the leader of a fractious coalition government, complaining he cannot choose his own cabinet, but he knows the system cannot change.

Western pressure, particularly if it is translated into action by sponsors, may force Fifa in Zurich to reform. But for real reform the rule of Fifa’s far-flung warlords must end. Mr Warner may be suspended from Fifa but what about his cabinet post in Trinidad where he is also chairman of the prime minister’s party? The Trinidad prime minister, unlike David Cameron, the UK prime minister, is not only not calling for Fifa reform but is keen to keep Mr Warner in his cabinet.

But much as meaningful reform of Fifa is to be desired, it is impossible to achieve. Mr Blatter may pose as the pope of sport, but Fifa lacks a college of cardinals necessary both to control the pope and reform the organisation.

The author is writing a book about the failure of the spirit of sport

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Blatter must be stopped.

VB

Everything in this thread beyond the news reports is speculation - and entertaining to a point.

The way I read it: Jack try to stab Sepp in the back, Sepp backup plan Chuck stab Jack in the back, Jack then break out the threat of the nuclear option. (If I going down, all ah we going down, tsunami etc) Everybody now slowly backing away from the Mexican standoff, claiming it was all just a big misunderstanding.

For real, everything in here is speculation, why yuh asking the man if he speculating too  :rotfl:

Anyhow, I dont think Jack was ever gonna stab his boy Sepp  ;D

Jack was doing to MBH de same ting he did to England. And Sepp woulda be cool wid dat, cuz as Jack said in his email, the vote woulda end up with Sepp anyway. And MBH was not really a serious threat to Blatter...even the other Asian/Arab countries had already pledged support to Blatter (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9341291.stm).

But Chuck came and f**ked things up.

1]; } ?>