April 19, 2024, 09:01:38 AM

Author Topic: NY Knicks 2011-2012 Thread  (Read 2822 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NY Knicks 2011-2012 Thread
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
Breaking news: Donnie Walsh out as GM according to the NY Times.

Other offseason development: Team chose to pick up the $14m option on Chauncey Billups for next season. The alternative was a $3m buyout.

edit: from the NY Times blog

In a surprising announcement, the Knicks announced late Friday morning that Donnie Walsh would be leaving his post as team president when his contract expires at the end of this month. The team characterized Walsh’s exit as by mutual agreement between him and the team’s principle owner, James L. Dolan.

(Use of "principle" and not "principal" by the Times).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:45:34 AM by daryn »

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NY Knicks 2011-2012 Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
Sell the team Dolan....yuh big bafoon......

That man killing the Knicks dread.... steups.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
"Surprising" my ass... Dolan undermined Walsh's independence and authority with the trade for Carmelo, Howard Beck (Times NBA writer) himself was speculating on how this would affect both Walsh and D'Antoni's futures with the team.  How is this therefore surprising?  And we eh even get into Walsh's health issues.  Also the buy-out option on Chauncey would have been $4 million, not $3m.

Dolan is a jackass and he's running the franchise into the ground.  I'm not a fan of Anthony so perhaps I'm being unnecessarily negative, but we paid $65m for a one-dimensional, temperamental player, gave up 2 high draft picks and 4 young talented players... and all we get to show for it was 4 facking playoff games.  Thanks Dolan... yuh moron.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 05:52:35 PM »
Doh frighten, Isiah to de rescue

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:14:33 PM »
Daryn, any news on de bush bath?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
knicks played like a bunch of bitches in there playoff against Celtics..I like them but hate f**kin see dem play.. dey a re a bunch of f**kin wutless players.. and doh talk bout the coach.. Knicks remind me of watching TNT football team play.. both team plays wid no f**king heart at all.

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:15:16 AM »
Daryn, any news on de bush bath?

Funny.

But seriously I believe that the key for the franchise is to reverse the curse of the OJ car chase which you might remember interrupted game 5 of the '94 finals. The Knicks won that game but then proceeded to lose the final two games of the series. From that point on the franchise's fortunes declined at a slow but steady rate*.

I'm trying to get Al Cowlings to drive a White Ford Bronco (preferably the same one) in reverse in the opposite direction.

*-with the exception of the unlikely run to the finals, as a #8 seed, at the end of the lockout-shortened, and anomalous '99 season.   

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:32:31 AM »

MIAMI -- Knicks owner James Dolan should fly to Miami, grab the South Beach three-star championship blueprint and toss it into the turquoise ocean.

It does not look like the way to go for the Knicks, who boast two stars in Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire and have contemplated adding a third, with the rest of their 2012 cap space, in Chris Paul. But at what expense?

IT TAKES A TEAM: While Miami relied on the Big Three, the Mavs won the title by surrounding Dirk Nowitzki (second from left) with complement players like Brian Cardinal (left), Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and Shawn Marion.
The LeBron James-Dwyane Wade-Chris Bosh experiment failed not only because "King" James choked, but also because the Heat had no supporting cast to perform the Heimlich. Whether Miami president Pat Riley can add solid complements without cap space is questionable.

None of the Big Three will be traded this summer, but if the star trio does not win the 2012 championship, the concept may be scrapped.

Late Sunday night, Riley's wife, Christine, approached a James confidant and whispered: "You learn more from losing than winning."

Knicks outgoing president Donnie Walsh has given strong recent hints adding Paul may not be in the plan, especially with the new labor agreement shrinking their 2012 cap space. Better to spend the cap room on three solid contributors.

"You really need all the pieces or roles filled to win a championship," Walsh told The Post yesterday. "Miami gave it a great run, though, with what they had."

In his conference call 10 days ago announcing his impending resignation, Walsh was prescient about the series while giving strong indications the Knicks need role players -- not Paul.

"The stars do what they do," Walsh said. "They score. But a lot of the basketball game is being won by the guys that fill in the blanks. We need to get those guys or find them if they're on the team right now. So that's the job now.

"We have the stars. They will do what they do. And we're lucky to have them," Walsh added. "But you need more than that. So that's the job. And that's how I've felt about this since the day we did the [Anthony] trade."

Miami's entire cap space went to the Big Three -- nothing left for established role guys. They had no point guard or center and a terrible bench. It was damning that starting point guard Mike Bibby received a DNP in desperation Game 6 on Sunday. Of the nine players who played in Game 6, three went scoreless -- starting center Joel Anthony, Mike Miller and Juwan Howard. Ex-Knicks castoff Eddie House played 21 minutes, taking big shots in the fourth quarter.

Yes, Dirk Nowitzki played better than any of Miami's Big Three, but the Mavs came at the Heat in waves. Sixth Man Jason Terry and guard J.J. Barea lit them up. Jason Kidd was poised and clutch. Center Tyson Chandler seemed to keep alive every ball in the fourth quarter.

After their Sunday collapse, Wade and Bosh got it. James? Not quite yet.

"Personally we all are individuals that become a team," Wade said. "Same with Dallas. They had to put pieces together to get a championship. They did great signing Chandler this summer, probably the thing that helped them get to this point. No matter what caliber of a player it is, everyone fits. It's like a puzzle. And their pieces came together a little bit better than ours at the end."

Bosh added: "They were the better team. I mean, there's no hiding. We've got a lot of work to do. We have to go back to the drawing board."

When James was asked what it will take to win a championship, he used the word "I" eight times in his response.

In the condensed version, James said: "I got close. Won two more games than I did in '07. And hopefully next time I get here, I'll win two more games than I did in '11."

Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said the Mavericks' triumph was a vote for team basketball winning over superstar talent, talking up "the purity of our game."

"I'm so proud of what our team stood for," Carlisle said. "I kept having people come up to me the last three days, 'Hey there's billions of people rooting for you guys.' And we could feel it. We knew it was very important we won this series for those reasons. Because of what the game is about and what the game should stand for."

marc.berman@nypost.com

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »
Good article Weary...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:11:15 PM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:07:48 AM »
[I'm trying to get Al Cowlings to drive a White Ford Bronco (preferably the same one) in reverse in the opposite direction.

Wouldnt that scenario include OJ saving two people from a violent crime first?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 08:58:43 AM »
[I'm trying to get Al Cowlings to drive a White Ford Bronco (preferably the same one) in reverse in the opposite direction.

Wouldnt that scenario include OJ saving two people from a violent crime first?
:devil:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
no issues with anthony playing for the knicks but we need a leader and neither of the big 2 are leaders

time to get a genuine leader on the floor and some young legs to surround anthony and amare

1]; } ?>