April 28, 2024, 02:25:48 PM

Author Topic: WHO VEX LORSE  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
WHO VEX LORSE
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
WHO VEX LORSE
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/WHO_VEX_LORSE-123727229.html

By Joel Julien           joel.julien@trinidadexpress.com
June 12, 2011

THE BATTLE LINES have been drawn for what is expected to be a heated war for control of Tobago between the Orville London led-Tobago House of Assembly (THA) and the Kamla Persad-Bissessar led-People's Partnership Government, with Persad-Bissessar announcing plans to "fully operationalise" the Office of the Prime Minister on the sister isle.

Persad-Bissessar's announcement came on the heels of claims by London that the Central Government has shown "disrespect" with its continuous attempts to encroach on the THA's jurisdiction and undermine its authority.

On Friday, London signalled his intention to take the Central Government to court for its decision to open a CEPEP office in Tobago without the approval of the THA.

Persad-Bissessar came out in battle-mode on Saturday night during a political meeting held at Tamarind Square, Scarborough, to celebrate the People's Partnership coalition government's first year in office.

In relation to London's proposed legal action against the Government for the establishment of the CEPEP office in Tobago, a tough-talking Persad-Bissessar said:

"He says he wants to take us to court. Well a courthouse is a place of justice. And, guess what, I have plenty court clothes so I don't fraid no courthouse."

Persad-Bissessar described London's actions as "self-serving tunnel vision" and said this type of mentality "is what has hindered the development of Tobago for so long".

"This is not about turf; this is not about fighting for turf. This is about service to the people of Tobago," Persad-Bissessar said to loud applause on Saturday night.

Persad-Bissessar said she would not "bow" to London's pressure describing him as a "stumbling block" to Tobago's progress.

"I am not here to bend or bow to the Chief Secretary or his Deputy. I am not here to pander to their insecurities. I am here to serve you, the people of Tobago and Trinidad. And you know the saying 'who vex lorse', but have no fear keep the finger ready, keep it clean because I know you will ensure that London bridge is coming down," Persad-Bissessar said.

"This is a government of the people, by the people and for the people of Tobago and Trinidad. So let me tell you something I am going to fully operationalise the Office of the Prime Minister right here in Tobago and let them object to that. It will not be a dummy office," Persad-Bissessar said.

Persad-Bissessar said London's rumblings were only caused as a result of the loosening grip of the People's National Movement (PNM) in Tobago.

In the 2010 general election, the Tobago Organisation of the People wrestled the two Tobago seats from the PNM. The THA elections are carded for 2013.

"That is their problem. London bridge is falling down, the writing is on the wall and surely as day follows night Ashworth Jack will become the majority leader of the THA," Persad-Bissessar said.

Jack, the political leader of the TOP, which is the Tobago arm of the five-party People's Partnership coalition, is currently the Minority Leader in the THA.

"Change is not coming to Tobago, change is already here in Tobago," Persad-Bissessar said.

Persad-Bissessar also waded into the London's grouse that the THA has no say in the appointment of State boards in Tobago.

She listed the appointment of George Stanley Beard as chairman of the Tourism Development Corporation as one example of the equitable treatment of Tobagonians in the selection for State boards. Beard is also the chairman of the TOP.

"On every State board let me tell you we have a representative of Tobago on the board," Persad-Bissessar said.

"I bet you when I come to open the long-awaited Scarborough Hospital they will object to that too. But I am putting them on warning I will come to Tobago to open the Scarborough Hospital," Persad-Bissessar said. The hospital is scheduled to be opened on November 1.

"I just want to tell you for way too long the PNM tolerated you but we want to let you know you are an integral component in the partnership," she said.

Persad-Bissesser said her frequent visits to Tobago and the fact that the two Tobago Members of Parliament (MPs) are in her Cabinet are testament to her love for Tobago.

She said of the 16 items listed in the People's Partnership 2010 general election manifesto, 11 have already been completed after only one year in office.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WHO VEX LORSE
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
If is one segment of society enjoying this government is the newspapers. Every day it have some new comess to hear bout....increasing sales.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:45:18 AM »
If is one segment of society enjoying this government is the newspapers. Every day it have some new comess to hear bout....increasing sales.

Nah d online edition good enuff. No need 2 buy papers.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:16:19 AM »
I vex and Ashworth Jack goh lorse....paging fellow forumite Signal, paging Signal....come in Signal.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:18:36 AM »
I vex and Ashworth Jack goh lorse....paging fellow forumite Signal, paging Signal....come in Signal.....
I don't want to jump out of myself playing Tobagonian but I think the Prime Minister's approach is 100 % wrong. I have no problem with an Office of PM in Tobago but you must respect the THA as well.  The language used is decidedly undiplomatic and confrontational. I think it is disrespectful to the Chief Secratary and the THA.

Even PNM governments had to respect the THA and did their best to avoid conflict. The PM is either naive or simply doesn't care because London is PNM.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:30:01 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:02:19 AM »
I don't want to jump out of myself playing Tobagonian but I think the Prime Minister's approach is 100 % wrong. I have to problem with an Office of PM in Tobago but you must respect the THA as well.  The language used is decidedly undiplomatic and confrontational. I think it is disrespectful to the Chief Secratary and the THA.

Even PNM governments had to respect the THA and did their best to avoid conflict. The PM is either naive or simply doesn't care because London is PNM.

Of course is because London is PNM. Jack say nutten 4 Point and I hear dey eh get no money for Borough Day. So Brown/Signal all yuh betta vote TOP 4 THA elections otherwise all yuh go eat d bread d devil ...
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »
UNIONS DON’T SCARE ME
By Clint Chan Tack Tuesday, June 14 2011

AFTER declaring over the weekend that she would not bend or bow to Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Chief Secretary Orville London or his deputies, Prime Minister Kamla Persad- Bissessar remained in a fighting mood yesterday, this time declaring she was not intimidated by threats from the labour movement to destabilise the country.

Oilfield Workers Trade Union (OWTU) president general Ancel Roget recently said the labour movement was not accepting Government’s proposal of a five- percent wage increase which was accepted by the Public Services Association (PSA).

Major trade unions are promising to step up protest action, but Roget has said the movement will announce its full plans at Sunday’s Labour Day celebrations at Charlie King Junction in Fyzabad.

However, the Prime Minister yesterday said she is not worried about the threats coming from the labour movement which had strongly endorsed the People’s Partnership on its campaign to government in 2010.

“They have always done that on Labour Day so I don’t think there is anything new this year. They are free and entitled to put forward the view of their members,” she told reporters after the ceremonial opening of the Caribbean Investment Forum (CIF) at the Hilton Trinidad, St Ann’s.

She made the same declarations, as she did in Tobago over the weekend in response to criticisms from the leadership of the THA, that her Government represented everyone and not just a few.

“We have a duty to all the people of Trinidad and Tobago and we will continue to discharge our duty in their best interests given the circumstances that we find ourselves in terms of our economy at this time,” she said.

Earlier in her speech at the investment forum, Persad-Bissessar maintained a commanding tone, even defending workers and calling on investors to respect their rights.

“I wish to reiterate to the business community, however, that while the Government of Trinidad and Tobago welcomes investment and investors, this is with the understanding that the laws of the country will be respected and that investors will subscribe to ethical business practices and demonstrate respect for workers and for the environment,” she said.

Government’s goal was to create an enabling environment for investment and preferred to not be “in the business of business”.

She said her administration was keenly aware that “investors want speed with respect to the timeliness of decision-making and responsiveness with respect from the state authorities”.

While encouraging investments, Persad-Bissessar said this country remained committed to protecting its rights.

“ Trinidad and Tobago has a long history of respect for the sanctity of contracts, property rights and the independence of the Judiciary. This is not about to change,” she declared.

Even so, Persad-Bissessar assured local, regional and international stakeholders that Trinidad and Tobago’s legal environment also protects their interests.

“We value good corporate social responsibility and reward it by our commitment to long-term relationships,” she declared.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
I don't want to jump out of myself playing Tobagonian but I think the Prime Minister's approach is 100 % wrong. I have no problem with an Office of PM in Tobago but you must respect the THA as well.  The language used is decidedly undiplomatic and confrontational. I think it is disrespectful to the Chief Secratary and the THA.

Jah, I go agree with yuh with the confrontational and I'll say somewhat undiplomatic.  However, she is the PM of Trinidad AND Tobago so I don't really see what the problem is.  Tobagoians always complaining about the fact that they are neglected (yes I agree) so what is the problem now?  Why do we need a THA anyway?  Just a thought?  Why can't the Central Gov't run both islands...  We both not that large anyway.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »

Jah, I go agree with yuh with the confrontational and I'll say somewhat undiplomatic.  However, she is the PM of Trinidad AND Tobago so I don't really see what the problem is.  Tobagoians always complaining about the fact that they are neglected (yes I agree) so what is the problem now?  Why do we need a THA anyway?  Just a thought?  Why can't the Central Gov't run both islands...  We both not that large anyway.

I go leave dis for de resident Tobagonian ambassador to answer. But trust me....it eh dat cut and dry.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »

I've been wondering if is how the media writes it why she sounds so, but to me she does come off as undiplomatic, I'll even say crass, both in what she says and how she says it. I'm not sure she means to be that way, just her speaking style needs some refinement.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Ashworth better shut this woman up before she cost him the Chief Sec chair..Personally i dont have a problem with the PM opening an office in Tobago,because central govt still has some responsibilities in Tobago under the 7th schedule of the THA Act....but when it comes to opening a parallel CEPEP office ....nah she overstepping she self dey...but then again, if she didnt have the backing of Ashworth and the TOP executive no way , no how she could have made such disrespectful comments while in Tobago.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:10 PM »

Jah, I go agree with yuh with the confrontational and I'll say somewhat undiplomatic.  However, she is the PM of Trinidad AND Tobago so I don't really see what the problem is.  Tobagoians always complaining about the fact that they are neglected (yes I agree) so what is the problem now?   Why do we need a THA anyway?  Just a thought?  Why can't the Central Gov't run both islands...  We both not that large anyway.
As I indicated I have no problem with the establishment of an Office of the Prime Minister in Tobago , incidently neither does the Chief Secretary. The issue is the manner in which it is being done.

You sort of answered your own question here. A local administration is better placed to respond to local issues than a distant one. But if I read what you're saying correctly more functional local government in Trinidad and Tobago is important.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 05:47:07 PM »
Thanks Jah.  You said it nicely....

Arimaman, the THA is the Tobago version of local government in Trinidad but with more power.  In fact, I have heard it said many times that the local government system in Trinidad should be modeled after the THA.

For example, when Trinis was ketching dey nenen to get Passports, Tobagonians had no problems.  As soon as they introduced appointment systems for passports was pressure in Tobago.  The Min. of National Security still has jurisdiction over those matter in Tobago.  See my point.  In fact, I find more power should be given to local government bodies.....not just the THA....

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »
Thanks Jah.  You said it nicely....

Arimaman, the THA is the Tobago version of local government in Trinidad but with more power.  In fact, I have heard it said many times that the local government system in Trinidad should be modeled after the THA.

For example, when Trinis was ketching dey nenen to get Passports, Tobagonians had no problems.  As soon as they introduced appointment systems for passports was pressure in Tobago.  The Min. of National Security still has jurisdiction over those matter in Tobago.  See my point.  In fact, I find more power should be given to local government bodies.....not just the THA....

Fair enough.  But since when does the major establishment need approval from the minor establishment?  Tobago has no sustainable economic model to maintain itself, therefore, it really needs Trinidad to maintain itself.  Thus, if yuh want the money yuh have to abide by the rules of the governing body.  That said, you guys are much much closer to the situation and have a better pulse or understanding of the issues.
Arimian to meh heart

truetrini

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
Tobagonians eh going and voter PNM anytime soon...she knows that and she will make them pay.  Jack and he frens will win....

1]; } ?>