June 16, 2024, 02:03:12 AM

Author Topic: Most expensive Benchwarmers in Football?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Most expensive Benchwarmers in Football?
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »
Who is your #1 pick for milking d paycheck but always on d bench?? I not talking injured players..I talking underutilized. Sometime come on in d last 2 minutes of d game or aint even suit up..

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Most expensive Benchwarmers in Football?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »
Who is your #1 pick for milking d paycheck but always on d bench?? I not talking injured players..I talking underutilized. Sometime come on in d last 2 minutes of d game or aint even suit up..

Nobody cyah beat Winston Bogarde when he was at Chelsea...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Bogarde#Abroad

Bogarde signed for Chelsea in 2000–01, after following the advice of compatriot Mario Melchiot to join him at the London club.[3] He was signed when Gianluca Vialli was manager — although the latter had no idea the transfer was happening, it arguably being conducted by director of football Colin Hutchinson.[4] Emerson Thome, also a centre-back, was shipped off to Sunderland.[5] Only weeks after signing his contract with the club, newly-appointed manager Claudio Ranieri wanted the player to leave.[6]

According to Bogarde, it would be next to impossible to find a team that would offer him a contract comparable to the one he had at Chelsea; he was astounded at the salary the club had agreed on, as his value depreciated severely due to lack of first-team action. He decided to stay at Chelsea honouring his contract to the letter (as he could not get a similar salary anwhere else) and appearing to training every day, but only played for the team very sparingly.[7] Of his contract he said, 'Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract'. In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period. Furthermore, Chelsea won a domestic trophy during this period triggering a bonus payment in agreement with his contract, despite Bogarde not featuring at all for Chelsea that season.[8]

After playing as a substitute against Ipswich Town on Boxing Day in 2000,[9] Bogarde only made one more appearance for Chelsea's first team before his contract expired in July 2004; it was also made from the bench, against Gillingham for the League Cup, on 6 November 2002.[10]

During his period at Chelsea, the club repeatedly tried to offload Bogarde because of his inflated wages. When there were no takers, Chelsea demoted him to the reserve and youth teams in an effort to force Bogarde to leave. He also became a figure of ridicule in the English press for his alleged selfishness.[11] Of the derision he received at the hands of the press, Bogarde responded, 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care.'[12]

On 8 November 2005, Bogarde announced his retirement from professional football having failed to reach an agreement with a club since leaving Chelsea.[13]
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »
waayyz...dat winston fellah win hands down

I eh blame him though, de man know he hit de lottery....to throw salt in dey eye he shoulda get ah part-time wukk sellin insurance or someting
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
waayyz...dat winston fellah win hands down

I eh blame him though, de man know he hit de lottery....to throw salt in dey eye he shoulda get ah part-time wukk sellin insurance or someting

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »
dutty iz ah arse ;D ;D :rotfl:
I pity the fool....

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »
Wha bout Bogarde kill de discussion in one shot. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »
Wha bout Bogarde kill de discussion in one shot. 

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »
Joe Cole ain't too far behind.  90,000 pounds a week to play in the reserves and Europa.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
Man Shitty sure to have a few.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »
David Batty in the latter part of his Leeds Utd days... club getting demoted and going into bankruptcy and he say no, I staying on the bench till the contract end.

1]; } ?>