April 28, 2024, 07:14:24 PM

Author Topic: 2011/12 Premier League Thread.  (Read 36409 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2011/12 Premier League Thread.
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:48:18 AM »
2011/12 Premier League.

Saturday, 13 August

Blackburn v Wolves
Fulham v Aston Villa
Liverpool v Sunderland
Manchester City v Swansea
Newcastle v Arsenal
QPR v Bolton
Stoke v Chelsea
Tottenham v Everton
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United
Wigan v Norwich

Saturday, 20 August

Arsenal v Liverpool
Aston Villa v Blackburn
Bolton v Manchester City
Chelsea v West Bromwich Albion
Everton v QPR
Manchester United v Tottenham
Norwich v Stoke
Sunderland v Newcastle
Swansea v Wigan
Wolves v Fulham

Saturday, 27 August

Aston Villa v Wolves
Blackburn v Everton
Chelsea v Norwich
Liverpool v Bolton
Manchester United v Arsenal
Newcastle v Fulham
Swansea v Sunderland
Tottenham v Manchester City
West Bromwich Albion v Stoke
Wigan v QPR

To be updated.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:57:04 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011/12 Premier League Thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:21:03 AM »
Steups. Newcastle then Liverpool then Man U? I guess Gunners will get them out of the way early.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
Well it look like we going to see Stoke on TV the first day back since they playing Chelsea
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »
Big games the second weekend.  I reckon there will be no runaway leader again next year.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
Steups. Newcastle then Liverpool then Man U? I guess Gunners will get them out of the way early.

Arsenal will be lucky to come out of that glut with 5 points. ;)  Not a very easy start for them. 

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
Anyone bold enough to make predictions of how this season would end?

Here are the teams (Alphabetical), I will make my predictions 1 week before kick off when the squads are mostly finalized  ;D

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Bolton
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Newcastle
Norwich
QPR
Stoke City
Sunderland
Swansea
Tottenham
WBA
Wigan Athletic
Wolves

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
how much so for a prem game tkt?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »
Wouldn't mind that if they could run the lower placed teams afterwards. They have no right not getting more than 5 though.

Arsenal will be lucky to come out of that glut with 5 points. ;)  Not a very easy start for them. 

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
EPL ticket prices
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:43:44 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xr_HT521p9w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Xr_HT521p9w</a>
Interesting discussion on EPL prices and FIFA corruption.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:48:06 AM by Jah Gol »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Recent Search For Playmakers
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
The Prem's most wanted players
By Michael Cox
Special to ESPN.com
July 12, 2011

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6761599/playmakers-samir-nasri-luka-modric-high-demand-epl-michael-cox

In term of transfers, football clubs seem to go through crazes. The January transfer window was all about strikers, with Fernando Torres, Andy Carroll, Edin Dzeko, Darren Bent and Luis Suarez all changing hands for more than 20 million pounds each. In fact, those five transfers contributed to 159 million pounds of the record 225 million spent by Premier League clubs in that month.

Now, it's the game's playmakers who are all the rage. The two most interesting (or most tedious, depending upon your take on transfer rumors) potential intra-Premier League transfers involve Samir Nasri and Luka Modric. Furthermore, the biggest name likely to leave the league is Cesc Fabregas, and the biggest possible incoming transfer would be Inter's Wesley Sneijder, or perhaps Valencia's Juan Mata.

Those five players all have individual qualities, but there are some obvious similarities between them. They're all very short, for example -- at 5-foot-10, Nasri is the tallest. But more importantly, they have excellent technique -- each one specializes at playing short, quick passes while on the move. And there's a pre-requisite for being able to showcase that ability. You need to be intelligent enough to take up good positions, to find space between the lines, and to receive the ball in a manner that allows you to naturally help the ball onto a teammate, or to enable you to turn toward goal.

Never before has there been such an emphasis upon possession in football. It's only a couple of decades since English football was still based around long balls and big, powerful strikers, but now possession football is overwhelmingly popular for the most successful sides. Last season's top six Premier League clubs are also the six that had the highest average possession. In fact, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Liverpool are the only six clubs that averaged more than 50 percent of possession in 2010-11. With that in mind, it's obvious why these clubs are so keen to have gifted playmakers among their ranks.

There are two types of playmaker, however: controlling playmakers and incisive playmakers. The former generally sits deeper and dictates the pattern and tempo of the game, while the latter is more likely to thrive between the lines and play intricate passes through the opposition defense. There are players who can play either role, and some who play something of a hybrid of the two. But it's important to remember that the term "playmaker" can refer to two very different functions.

The ultimate example of the controlling playmaker is Xavi Hernandez. He'll finish the game with exceptionally high passing figures -- last season, he played 110 passes per game with a completion ratio of 94 percent -- but he didn't record a miraculously high number of assists (just seven).

Compare that to Real Madrid's Mesut Ozil, who finished with 17 assists, but with only 40 passes per game at 85 percent completion. Their stats are completely different, because they are completely different players who play completely different roles -- and yet, they'd both still be referred to as playmakers.

This is where the English footballing lexicon can be slightly restrictive. Italians, for example, differentiate between a trequartista like Francesco Totti, who plays high up the pitch between the lines of opposition midfield and defense, and a regista, generally used for those who play much deeper, such as Andrea Pirlo.

The confusion can unfairly change how a player is viewed. On the subject of Modric's possible move to Manchester United or Chelsea, some have pointed out that he has low goalscoring and assist records at Tottenham, recording just three of each last season. However, playing delicate through-balls in the final third is plainly not his main job at Spurs -- that task falls to Rafael van der Vaart, who played as a classic No. 10 between the lines. Modric was instructed to sit deeper, and knock balls out to Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon on the flanks, in addition to playing passes in toward van der Vaart.

Modric's low goals and assists statistics should be used to illustrate the role he plays, not to criticize his contribution, because he is a controlling playmaker, like Xavi. He recorded more passes per game than any other Tottenham player last season, 62.5 -- which, incidentally, is more than any Manchester United player. Its best contender on that measure was Paul Scholes, who played 61.7, demonstrating exactly why United would want Modric to be Scholes' replacement.

It can work the other way, too. When Kaka joined Real Madrid, there were complaints that he wasn't really taking a hold of games, making himself the key player. But that view misunderstood the role he'd played at his previous club, Milan. There, he'd had at least two passers playing deeper than him, Clarence Seedorf and Pirlo, and sometimes a third when Manuel Rui Costa was at the club. Kaka left dictating the game to those players, and instead focused his play in the final third. Granted, he has never hit the heights at Real -- partly due to Ozil's rise -- but anyone expecting him to be "in charge" of the game was never going to get their wish, even if he'd been a success.

Some play a hybrid of the two roles. This was probably more common a decade ago, when the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Rui Costa and Carlos Valeron could all be said to broadly control a game, and yet also provide moments of magic to claim assists. Barcelona's Andres Iniesta is perhaps a similar example today, but there seems to be more of a divide between the two types of playmakers. The game has gotten faster, and with defenses playing deeper (as evidenced by the fall in the number offsides over the past few years), the midfield zone has become larger. Couple that with the popularity of 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3, and there's another midfield slot up for grabs, furthering the differences between different types of midfielders.

All this results in one main thing, however: an increase in the number of technically gifted midfield players. For that, we should all be grateful.

Michael Cox is a freelance writer for ESPN.com. He also runs zonalmarking.net.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:46:31 PM by Dansteel - The Iceman »

giggsy11

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »
League will be extra tough/competitive this year. Refs will still be shite; and the lines persons will still bottle it! I feel most of the middle to lower tier sides best chance of scoring goals against the stronger sides will be via set plays. Good to watch once they don't take points of my United side.  ;D

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
Aston Villa needs tuh just go down already! What a waste of a club-can't see them doing much this season.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
Villa did well to fight off an ascendent Fulham club today... but having lost damn near everybody from last season it will be a fight for them the rest of the way.  Only Newcastle management has been poorer.

Of the new boys... QPR looks nice in their swanky hoops (very reminiscent of Reading, only better executed), but Bolton open up a welcome can of whup-ass today.  They looked dreadful and out of sorts at the back.

QPR and Wigan on now (game delay)... Wigan looks poor, no other way to say it.  I remain a fan because of Lawrence and Martinez, but they look poor.  Franco di Santo and Victor Moses looked real bright today... and they'll need to, with the departure of N'Zogbia.  Rodallega will need all the help he can get, and from what they put on display today... they have a very long way to go.  They also went out and got the keeper they wanted in Al Habsi, and all he did today was gift Norwich an equalizer in the first half stoppage time.

Happy for Paul Lambert though... his side have fight in them, if not much quality.

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
Wigan, Blackburn, Aston Villa need tuh leave via the trap door and give some other sides a chance tuh try dey luck! Dey just tired!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 02:21:59 PM »
Somehow ah post in de wrong thread...

If allyuh not watching... allyuh missing a heck of a game between Man City and Swansea... good lawd!!  City hit everything but the back of the net in the first half... I lost count of how many times defenders fling they way in front a shot in the box.  When is not that, is the post, the crossbar (twice)... and then the Swansea keeper. 

Man, Swansea have a star on their hands in Michel Vorm.  He's Holland 3rd string keeper but with this promotion to the EPL he has a chance to make a real name for himself.  He's very strong in the box, in terms of decision-making and presence... not afraid to take a hit (unlike another over-hyped shitsnake who name we won't call right now).  Early he was shaky on some of his passes out the box... kicking a couple balls out of bounds, but he's settled in nicely.  He has about3-4 saves already in the first half, and the only times he was beaten (Silva, Barry), the crossbar save him.

All that aside, Swansea playing a real nice brand of football... best of the three promoted squads on present form.  Their two forwards, Sinclair and Dyer have world class pace, plus they young and confident with the ball... really nice to watch.

You are correct on all of your points!!!

Very exciting game

Dzeko just score off a rebound off Johnson shot.  Keeper unlucky to parry the shot away from goal, but right into the path of Johnson.  To make matters worse for Swansea, Mancini taking off De Jong to bring on Aguero... going in for the kill.

-------------------

3-0 City now... Aguero come on and in 10 mins he score and set up Silva.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:31:01 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »
I was now coming to post about this game. Aguero making mas, though to be fair Man City should have put this away in the first half. The Swansea keeper Vorm has been working hard and doing well.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »
Balotelli looking sour as hell on the sidelines.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
I was now coming to post about this game. Aguero making mas, though to be fair Man City should have put this away in the first half. The Swansea keeper Vorm has been working hard and doing well.

That eh even doing him justice... my goodness this youth real saving.  Just now Yaya had a free kick that off a back pass, so the ball was spotted inside the box.  Ball deflect off the wall and keeper was leaning the wrong way.... somehow he got a hand on the ball... literally one hand, and stop the ball just on the goal line.  He get undone by a bit of misfortune (making up for the two shots of the crossbar), but he real save today.

EDIT:

Nah... dis is advantage now...

Aguero score again... 2 goals and an assist 4-0 City.

Carlos who?

Swansea are a bit hard done by the scoreline, but mark my words, they will give a lot of teams pressure this season.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:52:29 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
I do't think Swansea were hard done by the scoreline at all.This could have easily been 6 or 7 nil.
Yeah the keeper real save, but City real throw away too.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
I do't think Swansea were hard done by the scoreline at all.This could have easily been 6 or 7 nil.
Yeah the keeper real save, but City real throw away too.

Is it "throw away" if defenders fling theyself in the way of a shot or if the keeper save it?  Outside of Dzeko trying to walk the ball in the net I can't think of any chance that city had that they squandered... the definition of "throw way" to me.

I say Swansea were hard done by the scoreline because the match wasn't quite as one-sided as the scoreline suggests.  There's no way they were as bad as QPR was on the weekend.  Aguero just came on and changed the whole game.  If you ask me I think Silva's goal should not have been allowed.  On review the linesman got it right, but from clear across the field a solid 90% of the ball was across the touchline... if it's that close then proper call (imo) is to call the ball out of play... just as if 90% of the ball is across the goal line the proper call woiuld be to call it a goal.

Aguero's first goal was a killer, but that third goal forced Swansea to chase the match even harder...  resulting in more opportunities for City.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
Dzeko is a rank shithong and will be banished to the bench before the season ends.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

giggsy11

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
If Chelski had cooled dey heels dey may have had Aguero instead of Torres. He would have been cheaper, and bring more to the side. Hate that he is at City but happy he is not at Chelski.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
Anyone bold enough to make predictions of how this season would end?

Here are the teams (Alphabetical), I will make my predictions 1 week before kick off when the squads are mostly finalized  ;D

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn
Bolton
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Newcastle
Norwich
QPR
Stoke City
Sunderland
Swansea
Tottenham
WBA
Wigan Athletic
Wolves

Big Up!

Here is my BOLD prediction for the end of the season  :devil:

1. Man City
2. Arsenal
3. Liverpool
4. Man Utd
5. Chelsea
6. Tottenham
7. Stoke City
8. Everton
9. Bolton
10.Blackburn
11.Fulham
12.Sunderland
13.Swansea
14.Wolves
15.WBA
16.Newcastle
17.Wigan Athletic
18.Aston Villa
19.QPR
20.Norwich

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »
Look forward to checking out Man City play just to see what they have and watch them fail! Hope Bolton take it to them today.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
City looks ridiculously good... it's astounding how much they have improved.  They just drop 4 goals on Spurs in just under an hour of play.  Talk about rampant... you can completely throw out that opening loss to United in the Community Shield, they are a completely different team from just two weeks ago, scary as that is.

Dzeko with the natural hat trick and Aguero with his second in three games.

giggsy11

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:16 AM »
Ah feeling sorry  for Spurs-dey have some players who just not worth having on that side-surprise, surprise dey English! Crouch and Lennon! Crouch tro way a header from a sweet cross from Bale; which is suppose to be his strength/slash reason for getting picked. Lennon one day he show up, one day he doesn't-today he didn't. And he of course went to the famed English school of decision making; just like Theo Walcott!
Spurs in fairness this is only their second game of the season but if they don't improve it will be a long season, and they will be in more trouble if they sell Modric. They will become another mid level side!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:56:23 AM by Giggsy11 »

giggsy11

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
City gets very sloppy and slack when they have leads-it came back to bite dem against United. Playing against sides as good as United with that type of mentality will lead to losses.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »
Nasri become the serious playmaker today. He set up three. City movement was impressive and Dzeko was confident enough to get in the box and play there, which is what he does best.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
Nasri become the serious playmaker today. He set up three. City movement was impressive and Dzeko was confident enough to get in the box and play there, which is what he does best.

I thought Dzeko was going to pop dung, but it's clear he's their number 1 striker right now... Nasri fit in like he's been playing there all his life... same for Aguero.  And imagine Tevez yet to take the field and Balotelli riding pine.

As I type....

Dzeko with a 4th in stoppage...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »
City looks ridiculously good... it's astounding how much they have improved.  They just drop 4 goals on Spurs in just under an hour of play.  Talk about rampant... you can completely throw out that opening loss to United in the Community Shield, they are a completely different team from just two weeks ago, scary as that is.

Dzeko with the natural hat trick and Aguero with his second in three games.

No lie, I didn't expect them to look this good. If they build on this form.. look trouble. Arry needs to shut he c**t in the press and start concentrating on he team. Man like ah attention whore!

Spurs have real dead weight to get rid off.

1]; } ?>