April 28, 2024, 08:46:13 PM

Author Topic: 2011/12 Premier League Thread.  (Read 36417 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: 2011/12 Premier League Thread.
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
Tevez letting his feet do the talking. Hattrick today! The Tevez, Aguero Yaya, Silva combination, is a dam scary quartet
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:58:00 AM by Observer »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2012, 07:59:22 AM »
Managers like Arry, Pardew, Daglish can only takes teams so far with their rah, rah tactics. They are great for lifting sides and creating excitement but then they hit the ceiling.

Pardew is the clown who never gave Tevez or Macherano run because he didn't think they were good enough. He did the same shit with Ben Arfa because he didn't like his game. Tevez when he finally get a run bailed West Ham out of relegation and now Ben Arfa giving Newcastle a chance tuh get CL ball next season.

Disagree with this.. Actually thought Pardew did a great job managing Ben Arfa..

Ben Arfa is one of, if not the most talent player on that Newcastle side, but coming off that leg break he wasn't operating 100%.. Wasn't getting back on defence and was upsetting the balance. Plus the team was clicking with the 4-4-2 formation earlier in the season with Ba and Best up top. To start Ben Arfa in that system means he would be severely weakening the midfield.

Now that Ben Arfa back up to full fitness and also tracking back on defence, he blazing. I glad he wasn't rushed back earlier.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2012, 08:48:13 PM »
Premier League superstars snubbed in legends list
Premier League 20 Seasons Awards: Top players miss out on player shortlist
By Mark Bollons  April 17, 2012

The Premier League have opted to celebrate its 20th anniversary by producing a number of awards, with some open to public voting and others selected by a panel of experts.

It’s this aforementioned panel who will get the opportunity to vote on who is the best player in the English top flight over the past two decades, with a shortlist of ten already provided and selected.

Those players are: Dennis Bergkamp, Eric Cantona, Ryan Giggs, Thierry Henry, Roy Keane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes, Alan Shearer, Patrick Vieira and Gianfranco Zola.

All of these are quality players in their own right, but it’s the omission of several big names which has raised eyebrows over where the decision for this original ten has come from.

With that in mind, GMF picks the five best players NOT on the list of all-time greats, despite their sizable achievements in the division.

Steven Gerrard – Liverpool

404 appearances; 89 goals

One of the biggest names to miss the cut is Liverpool’s captain fantastic, with Gerrard spending over a decade at the top after making his debut for the Merseysiders in 1998.

He took the armband at Anfield in 2003, and when fully-fit provided goals and assists alongside an all-action style that made him a firm favourite with fans not just of the Reds.

Without ever winning the league, Gerrard has finished second on two separate occasions, and also provided a handful of the league’s best memories over the past two decades.

Frank Lampard – West Ham United & Chelsea

519 appearances; 151 goals

The England international has been a prolific goalscorer throughout his time in the English top flight, reaching double figures in each of the last nine seasons with Chelsea.

After making his debut with West Ham United in 1996, the central midfielder spent five years at Upton Park before moving to west London, where he has since won three domestic titles.

With more goals than any other midfielder in the history of the league, Lampard’s omission from the list is a major surprise, as he continues to be a mainstay of one of the biggest sides in the country.

Wayne Rooney – Everton & Manchester United

314 appearances; 141 goals

Rooney burst onto the Premier League scene as a teenager at Everton, scoring a last-minute winner against Arsenal at the tender age of 16. He scored 15 goals in two seasons before Manchester United spent big to bring the player to Old Trafford.

Under Sir Alex Ferguson, the England international has flourished, hitting double figures in all eight of his seasons with the current champions – including this term. With 24 so far, he’s on course to beat his personal best of 26 in a single season, as Rooney shows signs of getting better and better.

Given his rapid rise to prominence, as well as his involvement in every title race since his arrival at United, the 26-year-old can feel hard done too as a legitimate top ten contender.

Sol Campbell – Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Portsmouth, Newcastle United

494 appearances; 23 goals

With no defenders on the original shortlist, a handful of players in the position are up for consideration – including Tony Adams, Rio Ferdinand and John Terry.

However, the longevity of Campbell, coupled with his ability to produce a standard of excellence at a number of clubs, makes him a worthy candidate despite a disappointing career-end at Newcastle.

Whilst he’s cast as the villain at Spurs now, he had eight years of great success at White Hart Lane before leaving for Arsenal, where he won two Premier League titles and was part of the ‘invincibles’ side.

He also showed his value in later years with Portsmouth, helping the Fratton Park outfit avoid relegation for three consecutive seasons. It was no coincidence that the season after he left, the club went down.

Gary Speed – Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United, Bolton Wanderers

534 appearances; 82 goals

It would be easy to dismiss Speed’s inclusion as a sentimental touch, but the midfielder truly was one of the Premier League’s great players during 16 seasons in the English top flight.

After starting life with Leeds United, the former Wales manager moved to Everton in 1996, and after two seasons at Goodison Park made the switch to Newcastle United, where he shined under Sir Bobby Robson in particular.

Following six seasons at St. James’ Park, he went to Bolton Wanderers and became the experienced head in midfield as the Trotters defied the odds under Sam Allardyce.

His death in November 2011 was a shock to the football world, but remembering his achievements as a player would have been a timely – and more importantly fair – refection of his efforts on the pitch.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

giggsy11

« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »
All omitted not better than any selected. End of story!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
QPR beating everybody  :o
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2012, 08:13:07 PM »
I now watching footage of the press conference after the wolves- man city game.
I feeling it for Terry Connor. Relegation real hurting him. He was always in a bad position though.
Wolves play a better brand now than with Mick McCarthy, but without the results.

I have this feeling the board fired Mick to ensure there was no miracle finish, but since his start with the club, they were working on a skeleton budget. Them doh want a coach, they want a magician.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
I feeling it for Terry Connor. Relegation real hurting him. He was always in a bad position though.
Wolves play a better brand now than with Mick McCarthy, but without the results.

I have this feeling the board fired Mick to ensure there was no miracle finish, but since his start with the club, they were working on a skeleton budget. Them doh want a coach, they want a magician.

I feel it for TC... he was put into a situation in which he would never succeed, but at least he gets to say that he had a bit of managerial experience in the Prem.

Side note:

Say what you want about the English broadcasters... nobody in my mind is better at what they do.  Today's game was played under overcast skies before the heaven's opened up in the second half.  After City's second goal (sealing Wolve's relegation) the commentator said:

"Clouds are forming over Molineux... meteorologically and metaphorically."  Brilliant.

Meanwhile his analyst could go 2-3 minutes without saying anything... you almost forget that he's there, until you need some moment of insight, which he timely offers.  So much better than the constant, breakneck chatter of the Americans AND latino announcers.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
Bakes, bro. You ever listened to Ray Hudson on Goltv????

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »
Arsenal striker Robin van Persie was named the English Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) player of the year, yesterday, after scoring 27 league goals to revive his club's season.

The PFA's Premier League team of the year

Joe Hart (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Vincent Kompany (City), Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle United), Leighton Baines (Everton); David Silva (City), Yaya Toure (City), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Gareth Bale (Tottenham); Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »

I feel it for TC... he was put into a situation in which he would never succeed, but at least he gets to say that he had a bit of managerial experience in the Prem.

Side note:

Say what you want about the English broadcasters... nobody in my mind is better at what they do.  Today's game was played under overcast skies before the heaven's opened up in the second half.  After City's second goal (sealing Wolve's relegation) the commentator said:

"Clouds are forming over Molineux... meteorologically and metaphorically."  Brilliant.

Meanwhile his analyst could go 2-3 minutes without saying anything... you almost forget that he's there, until you need some moment of insight, which he timely offers.  So much better than the constant, breakneck chatter of the Americans AND latino announcers.

I eh think people fault the brit commentary for lack of creativity, eloquence/articulateness - Brit commentators generally present very well.... I think however that they are sometimes viewed as a bit narrow-minded in their views of the game, more specifically very pro Brit and everything associated with it (strong proponents of the british style of play for e.g., or overly anxious to label a player like Lampard or Bale or Rooney as the best in the world etc...).  That said, I think there might just be a few that spoiled it for the larger lot...Martin Tyler for e.g. I find always had a very global appreciation for the game, not to mention his commentary is very easy on the ear - arguably the best of our generation. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »
Bakes, bro. You ever listened to Ray Hudson on Goltv????

Deeks, Ray Hudson good for his funny comments... that doesn't mean he's a good commentator.  Personally, I could do without the shouting and hyperventilation, but that's just me.

-----------------------------------------

Kicker, the biggest proponents of the "Premier League is best, Roone/Lampard is the best" kinda talk is the former players who now working as commentators.  Their bias is understandable to the extent that it's a normal human thing.  Even then, the bias towards English players is true of only a minority (from my own unscientific observation), most call the game as they see it. 

Couple weeks ago man was talking about the bias against Balotelli, well just yesterday during the Spurs v. QPR broadcast the lead commentator referred to Joey Barton as the most troubled player in the English game.  He actually used another term that escapes me right now, but it made clear that Barton is viewed as the player with the most issues on and off the field.  Men who claiming that the English media thinks their own players are the best clearly don't read the dailies.  Rumors of English bias might be founded in truth, but they remain grossly exaggerated.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
Martinez should just tell them fellas they in the relegation zone from day one.
Another year, another Wigan escape.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
Not safe yet. . .but they showin promise
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
Martinez should just tell them fellas they in the relegation zone from day one.
Another year, another Wigan escape.
Wigan need a goalscorer. Plenty of those 1-0 and 2-0 losses they suffer coulda be 3 points if dey had somebody to convert dey chances. Dey playing desperate now.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »
Suarez might be a racist SOB, but he can certainly play football.

He jess humilate the Norwich keeper from the halfway line for his hat trick.

3-0 to Liverpool.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »
April 30, 2012

BIG FINISH

As the Premier League approaches its end games, TV goes all in

By Grant Wahl

The final Sunday of the EPL season is often one of the most dramatic days in sports, and U.S. soccer fans learned last week that for the first time, they'll be able to see every minute live. When the league's 20 teams take the field at 10 a.m. EDT on May 13, all 10 games will be aired, using nine Fox-owned channels plus ESPN2. NFL, take note: It's the one time each season that every game takes place at the same time, the better to prevent shenanigans and keep eyes glued to the standings.

At the top, Manchester United and Manchester City, separated by three points heading into their April 30 showdown, could be playing, separately, for first place as Arsenal, Newcastle, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea jockey for two Champions League spots. Meanwhile the bottom three finishers will be relegated to England's second tier. Wolves have secured their place among that lot; two other castoffs are likely to come from Blackburn, Bolton, QPR or Wigan (celebrating on Relegation Sunday 2011).

Fox plans for live look-ins and cutaways, a new perspective on the season's final day-a view, incidentally, that fans in England won't have the real-time luxury of seeing.

http://www.sportsillustratedeverywhere.com/issues/protected/com.timeinc.si.web.inapp.04302012/big-finish-15078.html (subscription required)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »
Is it me or does Brad Freidel sound like he has a hint of an English accent. I can definitely tell that he's American, but the American accent does not sound as strong as someone who has grown up in the USA all his life.

Interesting.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2012, 09:29:46 AM »
Sandro just vomit in the area. I sure the keeper relishes the thought of having to slide out in that to get the ball.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
Sandro just vomit in the area. I sure the keeper relishes the thought of having to slide out in that to get the ball.

Also, players have to run and/or make all sort of plays over it.

Good thing there are showers for the players after the match.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
Is it me or does Brad Freidel sound like he has a hint of an English accent. I can definitely tell that he's American, but the American accent does not sound as strong as someone who has grown up in the USA all his life.

Interesting.

Yes, he does, and has had it for a while because ah did notice it a few years ago.  I eh sure how long he's been playin' in England,  (now check.....15 years now) but say wha. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »

Interesting.

Yes, he does, and has had it for a while because ah did notice it a few years ago.  I eh sure how long he's been playin' in England,  (now check.....15 years now) but say wha. 

What about our man Dwight.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »
Di Santo goal yesterday...best goal celebration I've seen in a lil while  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ToA38nMHMVU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ToA38nMHMVU</a>

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »

Bitter, you feel dem English care one ass about that? Dem throwing frame in that normal, get stuck in mate..

Trust me, footballers on the whole, (but English footballers moreso) have ah rhell long rope when it come to nastiness.

Like I remember a time playing a Sunday League game in London and as goalkeeper I warming up in the 6 yard box.. When i look good, i see a big, wet, smoldering pile of dog shit sit down right there in the goalmouth..

Now i rhell lost as to how to deal with this eh cause the pitch is in the middle of a savannah, it have no leaf around to pick it up and the game a couple mins from starting.. And i only envisioning having to try to dive around it or everybody kicking that shit in the area and spreading it all over..

I walk out the goal about 2 meters and then call over to the right back and pretend as if i didn't see it before... Ah typical hard nose English youth, i bawl out "Yo, what's that there mate??"...

You know the man is to walk over to it, watch it and with no kinda hesitation pick up the whole pile with his bare hands and fling it off to the side.. Then rub off his hands on the back of his pants and run back over to the right back position normal and formal.. Rhell nastiness ting dread. There is a reason why i duck every overseas tour dem men had and leave dem without a keeper, not me and dem men concept of humor especially when dey get drunk.

I had a pardner who used to play league ball with Gillingham just before Sancho reach there and he used to give me some dressing room stories that yuh mightn't be able to hear on a full stomach. Trust meh hoss, dey nasty.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2012, 07:44:30 AM »
British

Bitter, you feel dem English care one ass about that? Dem throwing frame in that normal, get stuck in mate..

Trust me, footballers on the whole, (but English footballers moreso) have ah rhell long rope when it come to nastiness.

Like I remember a time playing a Sunday League game in London and as goalkeeper I warming up in the 6 yard box.. When i look good, i see a big, wet, smoldering pile of dog shit sit down right there in the goalmouth..

Now i rhell lost as to how to deal with this eh cause the pitch is in the middle of a savannah, it have no leaf around to pick it up and the game a couple mins from starting.. And i only envisioning having to try to dive around it or everybody kicking that shit in the area and spreading it all over..

I walk out the goal about 2 meters and then call over to the right back and pretend as if i didn't see it before... Ah typical hard nose English youth, i bawl out "Yo, what's that there mate??"...

You know the man is to walk over to it, watch it and with no kinda hesitation pick up the whole pile with his bare hands and fling it off to the side.. Then rub off his hands on the back of his pants and run back over to the right back position normal and formal.. Rhell nastiness ting dread. There is a reason why i duck every overseas tour dem men had and leave dem without a keeper, not me and dem men concept of humor especially when dey get drunk.

I had a pardner who used to play league ball with Gillingham just before Sancho reach there and he used to give me some dressing room stories that yuh mightn't be able to hear on a full stomach. Trust meh hoss, dey nasty.

is it true they have bad teeth?  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »

Daiz rell nastiness in trute. I always have to remember not everyone has the same standards of hygiene (I could relate my own stories of what I have experienced in the USA, even at work). This is another reason why I could see the wisdom in washing one's hands before eating.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

Interesting.

What about our man Dwight.

Ah did purposely leave Dwight out of it because.......but since yuh mention it....Dwight was talkin' he British twang after about a few months in England.  :rotfl:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
Cisse had 2 great goals against Chelsea today, but the 2nd one take the cake! Goal of the season!  :beermug:  :thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/ysuQdnA2X_Y

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
Cisse had 2 great goals against Chelsea today, but the 2nd one take the cake! Goal of the season!  :beermug:  :thumbsup:

Big Up!

Who dis man feel he is in true?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »

Big Up!
Crouch better.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
Fantastic end to the season shaping up. Only Liverpool have something in the bag. Everybody else to meet a season goal or fll flat.

United/City - Title or salt

Arsenal - 3rd place is success. 4th place is worry. 5th or 6th place is disaster

Tottenham - likewise

Newcastle - 3rd place is a dream, 4th place is success, 5th place is still a damn good season, 6th place
would be disapointing but not disastrous

Chelsea - Champions league would be a dream, 4th place is success, FA Cup good, no CL qualification is a disaster

At the bottom Wigan is as good as up even though they need 4 points to confirm. Blackburn, QPR, Bolton and Villa just don't have the form for 3 of them to pass Wigan. One maybe, two possible, 3 not likely because QPR would have to get something from City and Bolton would have to get something at Stoke, not likely.

Happy to see Wigan stay up, and glad to see Blackburn go, Seeing Villa go with them would be funny but unfortunately it probably is not going to happen so one of QPR or Bolton will go.

I know everybody want United to go so I not shamed to say that i would love to see Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in Europa league next year.

Bayern for CL, Newcastle in 3rd and Tottenham in 4th would be a dream outcome.

The worst would be Arsenal in 3rd and Chelsea winning the CL.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>