March 29, 2024, 03:30:15 AM

Author Topic: Man gets 19 years for killing US girl in Tobago (in 2005)  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
Man gets 19 years for killing US girl in Tobago (in 2005)
« on: May 16, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_caribbean_us_teen_killed;_ylt=ArICiefp0tCF517EDdeKmu62GL8C;_ylu=X3oDMTNjMjByNmI1BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNTE2L2NiX2NhcmliYmVhbl91c190ZWVuX2tpbGxlZARjY29kZQN0b3BnbXBlBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA21hbmdldHMxOXllYQ--

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad – A judge on Monday sentenced a man to 19 years at hard labor for stabbing to death an American teenager on the southern Caribbean island of Tobago.

Sean Antoine, 28, was convicted in April of killing 14-year-old Kitty Pepe of Keene, New York. They had dated previously but had broken up before he repeatedly stabbed her on July 1, 2005, at the home where she had been staying with her mother in the seaside town of Charlotteville.

Antoine faced a possible death sentence if convicted of murder, but jurors convicted him of manslaughter after he testified the girl had taunted him, a defense that outraged the girl's family. The lesser charge meant he could be sentenced to as little as the time he had already served since his arrest.

Justice Geoffrey Henderson said at the sentencing hearing in Scarborough, the capital of Tobago, that Antoine did not deserve the lesser charge of manslaughter and the sentence was intended to send a message it is inappropriate for men to be involved with underage girls.

Wayne Sturge, Antoine's attorney, told The Associated Press after the hearing that he considered the sentence reasonable and did not plan to appeal. Under the laws of Trinidad and Tobago, he will only have to serve about 14 years of the sentence.

Kitty had visited the island occasionally since 1997 while her mother worked on sea turtle conservation efforts in Tobago, which had long been considered peaceful but has been shaken by a number of violent attacks on foreigners in recent years.

The girl's family previously said they were hoping that Antoine would be sentenced to life in prison because of the violence in the attack.
(Associated Press)

De fella shoulda get planass, cuava whip, red ants, bachack, head in ah latrine and some angry mob therapy added to his prison time.

Schupid dunce fella.

Blessings and enjoy de day.
Richard G.
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Man gets 19 years for killing US girl in Tobago (in 2005)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
Justice Geoffrey Henderson said at the sentencing hearing in Scarborough, the capital of Tobago, that Antoine did not deserve the lesser charge of manslaughter and the sentence was intended to send a message it is inappropriate for men to be involved with underage girls.

I'm surprised that the judge could essentially overrule the jury's verdict... but heartily applaud the sentence.  With any sentence there is a range of penalties, ranging from the minimum (time served) to a maximum.  My guess is that the 19 yrs lies closer to the maximum.  In fact, now that I do the math, the max was probably 25 yrs (assuming he's been incarcerated since 2005 and was given credit for time served). 

The judge is absolutely right in saying men have no business dealing up with underaged girls.  Frankly the jury's verdict that this was manslaughter is outrageous... this simply doesn't appear to be a case of "adequate provocation" on the victim's part... assuming there was any to begin with.  Sensible decision by the defense attorney too.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »
I always thought that the word "OBZOCKY" was a word made up by Trinidadians but only found out to-day that its an old English word,well,well yuh learn something everyday.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
I AM THE MOTHER OF A MURDERED DAUGHTER

Heather Pepe is in pain. She bears a pain that time cannot heal, an anguish that causes her insides to boil and her usual composure to dissolve in a sea of tears. Hers is a pain that only a mother who has lost a child could understand. It is a pain that she wishes no other human would ever have to bear.

At 38, Pepe is slowly coming to terms with the loss of her firstborn daughter and best friend, Kitty Nickole who was murdered in 2005.

Earlier this year on May 16, 28-year-old Tobagonian Sean Antoine, was sentenced to 25 years in prison on the lesser count of manslaughter. He is expected to serve 19 years as the previous six were spent awaiting trial. According to media reports, Antoine claimed he was in a relationship with the young Pepe before her death.

Her mother tells a different story.

Prior to her daughter's death, Pepe, who is North American by birth, lived in Charlotteville with Kitty where she was actively involved in the conservation of sea turtles.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Express Woman from her home in Melbourne, Florida, Pepe said she first visited Tobago together with her daughter in 1995 and immediately fell in love with life on the island. She said an early decision was taken to stay longer on the island and eventually make it home.

When the mother and daughter first moved to Tobago, Kitty was enrolled as a student at the Seventh Day Adventist School in Charlotteville. She later attended Speyside High School.

Kitty's education was not only academic, as her mother was often involved in a number of environmental projects on the island.

In 1998, Pepe, a registered fisherwoman in Tobago, who was always passionate about environmental preservation, became involved in the protection of sea turtles and joined the newly formed group Save our Sea Turtles (SOS) in 2000. As her work in North East Tobago grew, Pepe joined the board of Environment Tobago and was about to be named Honorary Game Warden. Together with Kitty and fellow environmentalist Patricia Turpin, they formed a group assisted by Gervais Alkins and Tanya Clovis of SOS. The group was registered as North East Sea Turtles (NEST) in 2008. Kitty never knew of the group's official formation.

"She was my only child," Pepe could barely contain her emotion as she spoke about the daughter she had lost. "I don't think I will ever know unconditional love that strong again."

To Pepe, Antoine's sentencing brings a clichéd and anticlimactic conclusion to six years of torture — his sentencing could never erase the pain she felt or bring her daughter and best friend back. She would never see her daughter grow to become an adult, get married, have children or even realise her dream of becoming a marine biologist and seeking employment in Sea World in the US.

"I dreamed she would always be right there in my life," Pepe's laughter was sad.

As she spoke of the days leading up to her daughter's death, her voice became heavy with guilt. She blames herself for failing to take more decisive action earlier when they first sensed trouble.

According to reports, the man who took Kitty's life was in a close relationship with the teenager. Pepe says differently.

"I know that, as with any teenager, there is a possibility that something went on that I didn't know about, but I believe with all my heart that nothing was going on sexually between them," her voice trembled as she spoke.

Nevertheless, Pepe said she knew something was not right.

"I know that days before she was killed, he was acting strange and Kitty had told me that he was bothering her and trying to be around her every time he saw her," she said. "I understood that he had tried to give her a watch and that he was upset that she refused it. I was going to talk to the police about it, but Kitty said that would upset him and it would just make it worse. Charlotteville is so small and everyone is family and I knew she did not want to create a scene, but my God, that was the biggest mistake I ever made and I will live with that forever."

On the day of Kitty's death, Pepe said she had left home with her Tobagonian boyfriend (now husband) Dasa to watch tamboo bamboo in the village. Kitty remained at home.

"She locked the door behind us and I told her she could have no friends over," Pepe said. She sobbed. "I made her unlock the door three times to kiss her. She turned to my boyfriend the third time and said, 'Oh my God, my mom has Mommy OCD, she has to kiss me 100 times before she goes away!' I rattled the door to check the lock and walked away."

That was it.

Later that evening, as Pepe and her boyfriend listened to the mesmerising beat of the tamboo bamboo drums, Kitty's life was snuffed out. It was a cross she carried alone in the years following her daughter's death.

Pepe said she learned of Kitty's murder later that evening when, walking up the hill to their apartment, she noticed a large group of people gathered outside. She sensed immediately that something was wrong, though at first she feared there had been a fire. As her knees weakened, her first thought was for her daughter, but nothing could prepare her for the news she would receive and the manner in which it was delivered.

"A guy passed us and said, 'Like Kitty's dead'," Pepe said simply.

Just like that.

No preamble.

No conciliatory gesture.

Just the exchange of casual news from one villager to the next.

Struck by the news, Pepe said she was thrown almost into a stupor.

"I do not know if I even understood the words," she said through her tears. "My blood got hot and a burn started in my belly as I tried to make my way up to the house. The police wouldn't let me in and I was hysterically screaming for my baby. I was screaming to my boyfriend to see if Kitty was in there, if she needed me, if she was dead. He jumped up to look in the window and when he did, he collapsed to his knees and hung his head down. I knew she was dead. I screamed to go to her and that she belonged to me. A sergeant showed up and walked me to the door and as he was prying the door open, I saw her body through a crack. What I saw, what a mother should never see, is imprinted in my mind forever, but I still cannot process that it was real. It's too awful for me even to describe."

Trapped in her own hysteria, Pepe attempted to hang herself with a clothesline. The next she remembered, the young mother was lying in hospital and screaming for her daughter's body again.

With Kitty's death, the nightmare that trapped Pepe had only just begun. She then had to undergo the torture of learning the identity of her daughter's killer, making the connection with the man she had previously thought of reporting to the police and then suffering through six years awaiting the trial and conviction of manslaughter.

And while she left the island after Kitty's death, returning to the US where she would be closer to family, for several years Pepe was unable to shake the nightmare that clutched at her heart.

She described the ordeal suffering through the trial and reading reports of the case as sickening and exhausting.

"People were told what the murderer who was facing death row said and the papers printed it," she said. "I was never asked and I don't think I was ever quoted. Most of all, Kitty could not speak a word for herself. It really was disgusting and painful. What made it worse was a few of the comments to the misleading articles that said I should also be held accountable… don't they think I was? Other than Kitty, who suffered the greatest loss? I have taken much of the responsibility, not because of what people heard was going on, but because as her mother my only job in this world was to keep her safe and she is dead. I did not need the added insult of speculative reports and the comments to them insinuating that I let her have sex with some older guy and got her killed."

Still, despite the anguish that she continues to bear, Pepe said she has forgiven her daughter's killer. She has however expressed dissatisfaction with the court's ruling.

"I never fought for the death penalty," she said. "If I could trade his life for hers, I certainly would have, but it would not bring her back. I did want it acknowledged that he murdered her and that he should be imprisoned for life for taking her life and mine and for the pain caused to all those who love her. I understand there is an automatic death penalty in Tobago for murder, so I understand the lesser charge of manslaughter, even though that's not what it was. I even understand the sentence, BUT the lesser charge due to provocation both shocked and infuriated everyone. Provocation means that any reasonable man would have done the same thing. Really?"

With her daughter gone and the case concluded, Pepe is slowly rebuilding her life.

"Before Kitty died, I always felt I would die if she did," she said sadly. "I didn't die. I kept going. I became very close to God and asked to be forgiven my trespasses so I could meet her again. God asks us to forgive those who have injured us in order to be forgiven our trespasses. So, as much as it hurt me, I did the best I knew how. I gave it all to God and let Him take it from there. There is always pain, always a storm and a constant longing for my precious daughter, but I was also given friends and family who love me, a husband who supports me and a son (born 2009) who I love very much. If I sit in anger about it every day, I will only paralyse myself and hurt those who love me."

Today, to ease her pain, Pepe is writing a book on her life with her daughter, promising to include stories of pirates, fishing and the turtle flippers that her daughter thought was a mermaid when she was little. She continues to view the people of Charlotteville, Tobago as family.

"Families argue and go through tough times and good times and weddings and deaths and that's what we had been through together," she said simply. "Although things and people are changed in my eyes forever, I will always have friends in Tobago."
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »
These foreign does feel that BC it's the caribbean that ppl are docile like cows and chickens, not knowing is the same mind set as anywhere else but in ah more sleepy environment. i dare any MCFKR tuh come round my teenage daughter lemme put ah pump action in he fackin stink mout.

sorry fuh she though. that young boy had to be ah mad MDFKR or @ least missin ah bunch ah screws. she shoulda pay some body tuh kill dat though, he shoulda never make it to court.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
These foreign does feel that BC it's the caribbean that ppl are docile like cows and chickens, not knowing is the same mind set as anywhere else but in ah more sleepy environment. i dare any MCFKR tuh come round my teenage daughter lemme put ah pump action in he fackin stink mout.

sorry fuh she though. that young boy had to be ah mad MDFKR or @ least missin ah bunch ah screws. she shoulda pay some body tuh kill dat though, he shoulda never make it to court.

What if the girl go around the guy?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »

They put something in de water down by allyuh or what?

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »
Unf**king real. How is stabbing a child repeatedly manslaughter, and not murder?? The girl taunted him is the reason? Are you serious? Shes a child!!
Hart for president

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »

They put something in de water down by allyuh or what?

Is that not a legitimate question?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »

Even if de li'l 14-year old girl "go around the guy" that doesn't mean that:

a) he as a big hard back man shoulda know better than to not mess with she
b) whether she went around him, or he around she that doesn't excuse or justify him murdering her.

Honestly... I don't see what the question had to do with the issue... hence my response.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:44:33 AM »
But that's a lil girl in trute, especially after watching her photo's. Ah big name go let ah lil girl like that provoke him, in fact he shouldn't even put himself in a position for her to provoke him when she's 14 years of age. How ah big man could be dealing wid she????

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 12:59:45 PM »
But that's a lil girl in trute, especially after watching her photo's. Ah big name go let ah lil girl like that provoke him, in fact he shouldn't even put himself in a position for her to provoke him when she's 14 years of age. How ah big man could be dealing wid she????

Doh pay that shit no mind... "adequate provocation without an opportunity for cooling off" is a the requirement for voluntary manslaughter.  The defense lawyer know the only way to save that murderous dog from the noose was to push that "she provoke him" talk.... and dem dotish jurors buy it.  Glad the judge give him 20 years in he ass... ah hope they do fuh him in jail.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »

Doh pay that shit no mind... "adequate provocation without an opportunity for cooling off" is a the requirement for voluntary manslaughter. 

which is absolutely ridiculous...it shouldnt be applicable when youre dealing with a minor. Whats more is that he was in an illegal relationship with her to begin with, no? Where are the rape, child endangerment charges added on to his measly sentence?
Hart for president

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »
which is absolutely ridiculous...it shouldnt be applicable when youre dealing with a minor. Whats more is that he was in an illegal relationship with her to begin with, no? Where are the rape, child endangerment charges added on to his measly sentence?

The mother disputes that they were in a relationship and I'm not sure there was any evidence of sexual activity between them.

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »
I always thought that the word "OBZOCKY" was a word made up by Trinidadians but only found out to-day that its an old English word,well,well yuh learn something everyday.

Yuh talking shit about dat and most importantly, why does it have any relevance to this thread?  You is a very special kinda kayt hole yuh know....?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
A guy his age with that strong of an attraction to a girl that young, and murders her after "provocation" clearly has mental issues...like diagnosable mental issues.  Sounds like he needs treatment.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »

Yuh talking shit about dat and most importantly, why does it have any relevance to this thread?  You is a very special kinda kayt hole yuh know....?
Ent...I read dat and say wtf dat have tuh do wid anything here

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »

Even if de li'l 14-year old girl "go around the guy" that doesn't mean that:

a) he as a big hard back man shoulda know better than to not mess with she
b) whether she went around him, or he around she that doesn't excuse or justify him murdering her.

Honestly... I don't see what the question had to do with the issue... hence my response.

Bakes, I not saying he right yuh know. Don't get me wrong. It's just I had a discussion with a therapist who worked with sex offenders and I find there are somethings that's just wrong when it comes to certain situations similar to these. That's all.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 09:20:10 PM »

The mother disputes that they were in a relationship and I'm not sure there was any evidence of sexual activity between them.

How did the guy get into the house? The mother said she checked the door 3 times to make sure it lock? She also said the officer was "prying open the door.......". These two things kinda telling me the girl either let him in (although the mother said the daughter told her the guy was creeping her out but not to go to the police) or he sneak in a window.

There is no way this guy should have gotten Manslaugther. I would like to see the case file or whatever they call the stuff from court. He should be in comdemn on Frederick St.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
I have ah feeling the case was tried in Tobago...and yuh know how Tobagonians kinda insular when they ready. Maybe that is what save him from de noose, they wanted to punish him but look out fuh him at the same time.  Other than that I can't see how anybody in dey right mind could look at that little child and say she 'provoke' he into killing she like that.  That verdict is beyond shameful.

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »
well we doh have the luxury of what transpired fully in the court room, but hi defence if it was that he was taunted...makes me go hmmm..not to mention the judge seemed surprised he got off the murder conviction...sad all around....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »
well we doh have the luxury of what transpired fully in the court room, but hi defence if it was that he was taunted...makes me go hmmm..not to mention the judge seemed surprised he got off the murder conviction...sad all around....

Nah not that he was taunted... that he was provoked.  The classic manslaughter scenario is a man coming home to find he wife in de bakefowl wid anodder man and losing it.  Hence "adequate provocation without opportunity for cooling off."

1]; } ?>