March 28, 2024, 05:09:46 PM

Author Topic: Jack stripped of transport  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Jack stripped of transport
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
Jack Warner stripped of transport.
Anika Gumbs-Sandiford and Brent Zephyrine
T&T Guardian.

Jack Warner resigned from the world’s football governing body—FIFA—to serve the people of T&T he has been reportedly stripped of the transport portfolio.

Top Government sources told Sunday Guardian that a decision was taken to split Warner’s ministry, assigning transport duties to Public Transport Services Commission chairman Devant Maharaj.

Sunday Guardian understands that the shift in the ministry came as a surprise to many, given that Warner continues to be rated as the best performing minister even before he opted to relinquish his FIFA duties.

Warner received the news during a marathon closed door meeting with Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and other government ministers at Diplomatic Centre, St Ann’s yesterday. Sources said Warner was upset over the move. The mood at Diplomatic Centre yesterday was one of mixed emotions.

While some ministers were clearly in upbeat mood, others shied away from the media. Confirming the reshuffle, Agriculture Minister Vasant Bharath said only: “There has been some restructuring and the Prime Minister will announce.”

But disappointment was etched on the face of Health Minister Therese Baptiste-Cornelis who later put on a brave smile for the media. The normally plain talking Health Minister only waved as she existed the PM’s residence.

Minister in the Ministry of Labour Rudy Indarsingh confirmed that he will continue to function where he was placed. Sporting the broadest smile among all the Ministers was Minister in the Ministry of Tourism Dr Delmon Baker who said: “Everything went excellent, excellent,” before exiting the compound.

Sports Minister Anil Roberts gave the thumbs up sign as he made his way out. He was heading for Tobago to participate in last night’s Congress of the People debate. But it was not all smiles for Minister of Tourism Dr Rupert Griffith. Asked if his portfolio had been taken away, the Minister replied: “An old battle-axe like me would wait and see.”
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:52:21 AM by Flex »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Jack stripped of transport
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:44 PM »
We can’t carry Jack on our backs—Ryan

By Black_Jacobin
Created 2011-06-26 05:23
Published: Sun, 2011-06-26 05:18
Submitted by Black_Jacobin on Sun, 2011-06-26 05:23

Political scientist Dr Selwyn Ryan says this is not “a banana Republic” and that Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar should “bite the bullet” and “try to persuade” the embattled Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner to “respond positively to a red card. If the bullet is not bitten at this point in time and there are further embarrassments down the road, the Prime Minister would regret not having accepted the advice of those who felt that Jack Warner should be thanked for his services as a Minister and put out to pasture,” he said. Ryan was responding during a telephone interview yesterday surrounding reports that Persad-Bissessar’s Cabinet realignment involved her stripping Warner of the transport portfolio which currently falls within his ministry.

He said it was “no good for the image and reputation of the country and the Government to be carrying Jack on its back” given the “baggage that he is carrying”.  He said it sends “bad signals” to both the local and international public. Ryan said: “Warner was still an elected Member of Parliament and that would remain, but as a member of Government it’s the wrong signal to send to a whole lot of other people and there would be a price to pay. “It cannot be said that the taking away of that particular portfolio (transport) is a result of what has happened in respect of FIFA. “That would have happened normally as a result of other kinds of considerations,” he added.

While Ryan contended that Persad-Bissessar may “have reservations facilitating his removal from Cabinet “having regard to the fact that Jack works hard,” there was always the possibility of conflict given the many hats Warner has worn. He said he was among those adamant a year ago when members of the Opposition (in particular) had raised concerns as to whether Warner was capable of functioning effectively as Works and Transport Minister, FIFA vice president, Concacaf president and president of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) respectively. “I anticipated that at some point, this sort of thing would happen and one would be at odds with the other. “My own feeling is that he should have been stripped of both parts of his portfolio,” Ryan said.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
Well boy jack, when it rains it pours.   :whip:   :devil:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
CAL board is the reason why Jack had transport removed from his portfolio.

No other justification will hold, the PM gave him Works, Transport and allowed him to continue running CFU and CONCACAF.

With all the football portfolios removed she then splits his ministry. Go figure
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:43:59 PM »
Everybody gleefully read past "reportedly"...

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
u cant have one financier(jack) bumping heads with another financier(issa) hence the separation...now devant gonna pain all d ptsc buses massala yellow

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
u cant have one financier(jack) bumping heads with another financier(issa) hence the separation...now devant gonna pain all d ptsc buses massala yellow

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »
The PM is scheduled to address the Nation at 8pm across all television networks.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »
So any word?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »
So any word?

CABINET CHANGES:
Colin Partap now Minister in the Ministry of National Security.
Dr Delmond Baker is now Minister in the Ministry of Finance.
Caroline Seepersad-Bachan is now the Minister of Public Administration.
Devant Maharaj appointed as Minister of Transport.
Dr Fuad Khan is the new Minister of Health.
Gender, Youth and Child Development Ministry Created.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs now expanded to include Information. Nicole Dyer-Griffith to be appointed as Senator and Parliamentary Secretary in the same.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »
So any word?

CABINET CHANGES:
Colin Partap now Minister in the Ministry of National Security.
Dr Delmond Baker is now Minister in the Ministry of Finance.
Caroline Seepersad-Bachan is now the Minister of Public Administration.
Devant Maharaj appointed as Minister of Transport.
Dr Fuad Khan is the new Minister of Health.
Gender, Youth and Child Development Ministry Created.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs now expanded to include Information. Nicole Dyer-Griffith to be appointed as Senator and Parliamentary Secretary in the same.
Jairam Seemungal, MP - Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »
So where Subash. Nicole Dyer-Griffith lawddddddddddd
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »
So who now in Energy? I guess Rupert keep he wuk.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »
Kevin Ramnarine is now Min. of Energy... well look ting.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:01:43 AM »
well dis "realignment " real 4COP.. erm ??? COP  :-\ , but I did see dat comin from far.............. this is d beginning of d end for COP as presently constituted  dey presence in the Govt has been further compromised.......we know for a fact dat if the COP pull out d Govt atleast one elected member will defect to d UNC ..........dat whore following d money and influence where ever it go especially, since his lips seems surgically attached to Jack's ass/ball, but den a gettin d vibe dat moves afoot in d unc to put d "back in jack knife  ;) " now dat he wounded and if dat were to come to pass his jester would no doubt follow.

interesting days ahead folks
I pity the fool....

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:22 AM »
The Prime Minister is so personally compromised and indebted to so many people that these jokey appointments, and reshuffles and scandals will continue. She behaves like a man who ignores a problem until the pain is unbearable before seeking treatment. Not a word about Warner or Mohammed.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »
The Prime Minister is so personally compromised and indebted to so many people that these jokey appointments, and reshuffles and scandals will continue. She behaves like a man who ignores a problem until the pain is unbearable before seeking treatment. Not a word about Warner or Mohammed.

sometimes i see it in her face...she's trapped

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
So Kamla shuffle things around to hire COP people... since she hire Dyer she could have hired Rocky also.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
So Kamla shuffle things around to hire COP people... since she hire Dyer she could have hired Rocky also.

COP peeps eh happy.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:38 AM »
Thats is the thing, COP making noise. They move Seepersad-Bachan and revoke Watson senatorial appointment.

COP CRIES FOUL
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/COP__cries__foul-124577224.html

By Renuka Singh
June 26, 2011

A LETTER of complaint from the Congress of the People (COP) denouncing changes in the People's Partnership administration was delivered to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar last night.

The letter was drafted by the executive members of the party after an impromptu closed-door meeting at the Tunapuna constituency office of the political leader Winston Dookeran yesterday.

Sources said the letter, drafted by Dookeran, party chairman Joseph Toney and deputy political leaders Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan, Robert Mayers and Prakash Ramadhar and others expressed "strong disagreement" on the Parliamentary changes that surfaced after Saturday's reshuffle.

The letter outlined the party's overall dissatisfaction with the reshuffle and that the move resulted in a worrying "reduction of COP presence" within the coalition's Government representation.

The letter, sources said, identified as a source of discontent, Seepersad-Bachan's removal as the Minister of Energy and the proposal to move her to the Ministry of Public Administration.

Sources said it referred to the reshuffle as an "exercise (that) was not conducted in the spirit of the coalition", and called for an immediate meeting between the COP leadership and the Prime Minister "before the finalisation" of the re-appointments.

Seepersad-Bachan, who initially refused the new ministerial portfolio made the last minute decision yesterday to accept it.

"If it was up to me personally, I would not accept it. But I am a member of the COP and as such I must be guided by my executives. But if it was just up to me I would have been out of there," she said yesterday.

"There was no justification for it. There is so much unfinished work in the Ministry. But again I will be guided by the COP and the spirit of coalition. I have to stay," she said.

Seepersad-Bachan said she had no problem with her new Ministry, but was not happy with the way the reshuffle was handled.

"Yes I was taken by surprise. There was no reason for it, given the track record we were building," she said.

"In the interest of structure and cohesion of the People's Partnership it is important that I stay in Cabinet and therefore I will take the position. I will humble myself and take the position," she said yesterday.

Seepersad-Bachan said she returned from London on Friday night and attended Saturday's meeting without any idea of what to expect.

Dookeran, who also returned to the country on Friday night, said yesterday he was at Saturday's meeting at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann's during the reshuffle process. He said he was not previously informed of any intention to move Seepersad-Bachan from the Ministry of Energy.

"We met today (yesterday) to discuss the issue of the Cabinet reshuffling, but we have nothing further to say at this point," he said.

A source close to Seepersad-Bachan said she was not given "any good reason" for her removal.

"The Energy Ministry was getting so many positive reviews in the past year. Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) was beginning to grow and now all of a sudden they changing the face of the Ministry. That could shake the confidence of people willing to invest millions of dollars in the country," a Ministry source said.

Another senior COP member, Senator Prof Patrick Watson, was axed after Saturday's reshuffle.

Watson said he would wait for the final say to come from the Prime Minister, but said he was informed that his appointment would be revoked.

"I was not an elected Member of Parliament. I was there at the Prime Minister's behest. The Prime Minister giveth and the Prime Minister taketh away apparently," he said in a brief telephone interview yesterday.

Watson said he would have more to say once the Prime Minister confirmed the new positions and new removals.

"I don't want to preempt what she would say, but I was informed that the PM was going to the President and have my appointment revoked. I am unhappy, but only because now a lot of people could turn around and say "we told you so"," he said.

"But it is becoming quite evident that it was COP that is now hung out to dry," Watson said.

News of a Cabinet reshuffle and other changes emerged on Saturday after the Prime Minister summoned her Cabinet and Government Senators at the Diplomatic Centre.

Three new ministers are scheduled to take the oath of office this morning, at Knowsley building, Port of Spain some three hours before the ceremonial opening of the 10th Parliament.

Minister of Health Therese Baptiste-Cornelis, Minister of Public Administration Rudrawatee Nan Ramgoolam, Watson and Subhas Panday were all axed, making way for the four new senators – Devant Maharaj, chairman of the Public Transport Service Commission (PTSC), to assume the portfolio of Minister of Transport, Verna St Rose Greaves to assume the portfolio of Gender, Youth and Child Development Minister, Nicole Dyer-Griffith and Terrence Baynes.

Former deputy speaker of the House of Representatives Dr Fuad Khan will assume the portfolio as Health Minister. Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Legal Affairs, Jairam Seemungal was also tipped to replace Khan as Deputy Speaker.

Panday confirmed that his appointment was revoked. Public Utilities Minister Emmanuel George will replace him.

Sources told the Express that Baptiste-Cornelis, Ramgoolam and Panday were all offered diplomatic postings.

Panday, who also served as Minister in the Ministry of National Security, said he declined the offer to serve as the Consular General to Toronto and will return to his family's private law practice.

"In the one year (I served) I enjoyed it, made good contacts, was able to help the police and prisons and I wish my successor good luck. I want to thank the Prime Minister for the opportunity to serve the country. My loyalty remains to the party and the Prime Minister," Panday said in a brief telephone interview.

Sources said Baptiste-Cornelis was offered a diplomatic posting to Geneva and Ramgoolam to New York.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
From hero to zero..!!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:39:05 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »
Jack is a Hero in Chaguanas, dem people love him. My bredda say road pave whey it eh have no house, soon it will not have a pot hole or dutt, or gravel road in he constituency.

DYER IS A HUGE MISTAKE.... Dey have Shelly Dass frequenting DC, sampling restaurant after restaurant, ah still yet too see she wukk (yes ah macoing she)

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
Jack is a Hero in Chaguanas, dem people love him. My bredda say road pave whey it eh have no house, soon it will not have a pot hole or dutt, or gravel road in he constituency.

DYER IS A HUGE MISTAKE.... Dey have Shelly Dass frequenting DC, sampling restaurant after restaurant, ah still yet too see she wukk (yes ah macoing she)

i clean forget about her...how could i...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

Dem sent she DC. I eh realize dat.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »

Hold up, hold up.....she didn't go in a private capacity??   :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 08:55:33 AM »

I THOUGHT SO.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »

I THOUGHT SO.

have you heard of the term lobbyist...?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »

I THOUGHT SO.

have you heard of the term lobbyist...?

Yesssssssssssss but did not know she was 1.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Warner gets shaft from PM Cabinet
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:53 AM »
Jack Warner gets shaft from PM Cabinet
By: Anika Gumbs-Sandiford (Guardian).

The overwhelming popularity of Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner has a part to play in him being cut down to size in the recent Cabinet reshuffle.

A plan, Sunday Guardian understands, was hatched to frustrate Warner out of the Kamla Persad-Bissessar led People’s Partnership (PP) Government, mere weeks after her resigned as vice president of FIFA. There had been rumours circulating more than six months ago that the PM had plans to split Warner’s ministry.  Warner however, was unaware of this.

High ranking party sources confirmed to Sunday Guardian that certain senior Cabinet colleagues took issue with Warner’s performance and growing popularity, especially among the grassroots. Warner’s popularity had also begun to overshadow Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar who is the leader of the PP coalition government. Warner’s increasing popularity was working against the image of the Prime Minister and decisive action had to be taken to change this. 

There has been “a cabal” within the Cabinet made up of at least three members who have the ears of the PM. It was based on the advice of these individuals, party sources said, that Persad-Bissessar made some of the “shocking changes” within the PP Government.

And Warner is not the only Cabinet member they have been attacking. Sunday Guardian also learnt the ongoing row with Caribbean Airlines Ltd (CAL) chairman George Nicholas who is a huge financier of the PP,  also played a role in the decision to shaft Warner. 

Stabbed in the back

Party sources, upset by the moves against Warner, felt he is being “stabbed in the back with a knife” by some of his own colleagues whom he spent “time and money to propel into high office”. Political scientists/analysts, polls and surveys have all rated Warner as the best performing Minister since the PP triumphed over the People’s National Movement (PNM) administration in the May 24, 2010 general election.

The recent Market Facts and Opinions Poll rated Warner as the best performing Minister in the Cabinet. While the findings revealed the Prime Minister’s rating and popularity fell from 68 to 54 per cent because of her handling of controversial matters. “Since assuming office in 2010 the Ministry of Works and Transport is the best performing ministry. The Prime Minister never had any issue with that ministry until last month; she boasted of the efficiency of that ministry.

“Throughout the world the Ministry of Works and Transport has a natural fit so the decision to split the ministry is really not justified. There is much more than what meets the eye,” an upset party source stated.

Meanwhile, economists have also questioned the feasibility of the move, given that the Works and Transport Ministry plays a major role in a booming economy. According to Dr Dhanayshar Mahabir a decision to split a ministry must guarantee a greater level of efficiency. He said only the Prime Minister would be able to explain her actions given that such an issue did not arise with the Ministry of Works and Transport. 

Pressure from Cabinet colleagues

Sunday Guardian understands that no justification was given for the splitting of the ministry when the Prime Minister met with her Cabinet two Saturdays ago, firing some ministers and shifting others. Warner, well-placed insiders said, took issue with the move and questioned the rationale. “Warner has been under pressure from his Cabinet colleagues who envy him for the way he performs in his ministry,” a source said.

Their actions have left Warner “angry and frustrated,” a Government official said.  There have also been claims of funds being held back from Warner to start major projects under his ministry. Only recently, government officials confirmed that Warner’s ministry escaped a $50 million fine for barely being able to meet the stipulated timeline to commence construction of the billion-dollar San Fernando to Point Fortin Highway project. Sunday Guardian understands the ministry has been forced to continuously forward various pieces of correspondence to the Ministry of Finance requesting funding for various projects.

“From the start it has been a struggle for him to get funding. It is over six months the ministry had to wait to get the first cheque to start a major project and now a decision has been taken to split the ministry causing other projects to go on hold. Everything is in limbo,” a senior ministry official said. Contacted for comment on the withholding of funds from Warner, Minister of Finance Winston Dookeran said: “It’s a process and the PS is in charge.” Only two state boards now under Jack

Warner, who headed the largest ministry in the PP Cabinet was previously in charge of 16 state boards—among them the controversial CAL board headed by Nicholas—now only has two boards under his purview in the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure—Maintenance Training and Security (MTS) and the National Infrastructure Development Company (Nidco).  According to the ministry’s Web site the state boards that fall under the portfolio of Works and Transport are:

•Caribbean Airlines

•Port Authority of T&T

•Airport Authority of T&T

•Air Transport Licensing Authority

•Licensing Authority of T&T

•Pilotage Authority

•Public Transport Services Corporation

•Transport Board

•T&T Civil Aviation Authority

•The Vehicle  Maintenance Management Corporation of T&T

•Maintenance Training and Security Company

•National Infrastructure Development Company

•National Helicopter Services Ltd

•Liat (1974) Ltd

The split in the ministry would now see the majority of state boards falling under the purview of former Public Transport Services Commission (PTSC) chairman Devant Maharaj who joined the PP Cabinet as Transport Minister. Maharaj, the former president of Global Organisation of People Of Indian Origin, got the nod from Warner when he was selected to head the PTSC board which previously fell under his portfolio.   

Well placed sources confirmed yesterday that the Prime Minister was expected to disclose on Thursday under whose control several of the state boards now fall. However, Sunday Guardian understands, the Prime Minister did not attend the weekly Cabinet meeting due to the flu.

The PM is expected to clear the air on the shifting of the state boards between Warner and Maharaj. Several attempts to contact Warner yesterday proved futile. Voice messages left on his cellular phones went unanswered up to late yesterday. Attempts to contact the Prime Minister were also unsuccessful.  Calls to her cell phone went unanswered.

Warner wants VMCOTT, Licensing, PBR

Party sources further revealed that Warner wrote to the Prime Minister last week requesting that he retain the following:

•VMCOTT

•Licensing Authority of T&T

•Control of the Priority Bus Route.  However, sources said, he has not received any response. 

Warner, sources further revealed, also met with Maharaj last week indicating the agencies he would like to retain. Contacted yesterday, Maharaj declined to confirm whether he had discussions with Warner regarding the issue. Evading the question, and directing all questions to Warner, Maharaj replied: “My position is I did not appoint myself, it was the Prime Minister. The allocation of portfolios is the remit of the Prime Minister. It is not under my purview and I would not be presumptuous.”

Analyst on Warner:

It does not pay to be popular

Giving his take on the issue, political analyst Dr Selwyn Ryan said it is not the first time a minister has been ‘cut down to size’ for being more popular that their political leader. Ryan said a similar situation occurred under the former PNM regime when then finance minister, Wendell Mottley was rated as the best performing MP over former political leader Patrick Manning following a poll conducted by himself.

Ryan explained: “It happens from time to time when a member of the party becomes more popular than the Prime Minister, steps are taken to change this. The popularity is seen as not being in the best interest of the Prime Minister.

The truth is, Mr Warner is very popular in certain sections of T&T; whether he is going to form his own political party is a whole other issue. The splitting of the Works and Transport Ministry has taken some shine off his ball. That ministry is the power base of the Cabinet and the minister is very instrumental in making decisions. By splitting the ministry Mr Warner has suffered diminishing status.”

Rampersad: It will not make him less popular

While expressing a somewhat different view, political analyst Dr Indira Rampersad said while Warner’s popularity was due to his dedication to serving people, the splitting of the ministry was aimed at quelling the ongoing dispute between Warner and the CAL board.

“I do not think splitting his ministry would make him any least popular. Warner’s popularity is not just the role he plays in his ministry but the way he goes out to help constituents. He has been rated as the best performing minister and MP because his popularity stemmed from constituents who never received such  support from any other MP. In addition, he is reaching the grassroots people.  “Whether his popularity is a threat to Prime Minister I do not think so....”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »
I have to admit that I too found it curious, a) that she decided to split the Ministry; b) that she put him in charge of the lesser portfolios.  Clearly she seems to be cutting him down to size.  One year in and already the coalition is coming apart at the seams.

1]; } ?>