April 27, 2024, 07:38:21 AM

Author Topic: Stern Interview  (Read 8198 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stern Interview
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »
The examples you gave are of active players who never stopped playing or were always on the team. not the same is it ? Stern worked his way off the team ..remember ?? and not for the first time .. so your examples should be of players in similar circumstance. this is more like resurrection  rather than  continuation ....and that is  my point ?

we are rebuilding here, or supposed to be , ...is Stern a part of that ? is it for his leadership skills that he is maintained ? why not use the younger kenwyn Jones for that ...and try to focus on the future with young aspiring talent ?

No I cant support a call for Rocky , Star that he was , but like Kwai chang Cane used to say ..." grasshopper it is time for you to leave the kung Fu  temple "  :beermug:

Lol. I hear you. But Stern hasn't played himself off the team until someone else plays them self onto it. It's not like other players haven't gotten a look. Things rough with our talent pool.

...agreed. How do we increase the pool though if we stick to the old stagers ? You know that dwight could probably make the team playing midfield as well dont you ? ..but where would we be going with that approach ?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
The bottom line is that any team needs a blend of youth and experience. That blend is down to each individual coach. For all we know, Pfister may play Stern in midfield, using him to put his foot on the ball and make nice little through passes while the youthmen do the running.

For any squad, and I have been around many, from premiership to kids sunday league, its good to have the senior players around, even if they only play a 10 minutes now and again. I remember playing as an under 15 and my entire team moved up to under 17, but as I qualified by 1 day to remain in under 15's the coach asked me to stay back and captain the "youngsters". 2 years age difference is a lot at that age!! We did well, but personally, I felt I lost out as I struggled the next year in the U17's. But that principle is sound from a squad perspective.

Whatever else you say about Stern, he is the only current player with over 100 caps. That experience is valuable, which is why Beckham is still invited to train with the England squad.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 10:01:55 PM »
Say what allyuh want, John on that team.   :beermug:
at this rate we might as well bring back Latapy yes ! where we going wid Stern ?? back to the future ??

If he trains hard and is better than the younger players, why not pick him?

Yuh think Liverpool will have a big game and play Hendedrson instead of Gerrard because they looking to the future?  Or Chelsea with Sturidge and McEchrean instead of Drogba and Lampard??

If he not performing, then drop him.........but if he is doing well in training, then the man should play, talk done!!

ah loveit!!

...and he might be better than the young players at this time but  when he finally retires he may have retired more young players who gave up serious training because of lack of opportunity. It was the same when he was a young player trying to get a break ...many of us had to make noise for him because he was from El and east ...this is a cycle breds ...lets not continue to moonwalk in our approach to achieving success ....too often we seem to be going forward while sliding backwards ....just so you dont miss the pun ... :beermug:

Disagree with this big time. If you give up because you didn't get the opportunity you missing the point of what it means to be a professional and what competition is all about.

I agree with you ..but you know what ..many of them do ! Have you never had to talk to a young person who was ready to give up ? I have had many ...all it takes is a little encouragement for them to give of their best. The converse is sadly also true ...all it takes is a little discouragement for them to give up .

Not every athlete is a brian lara who could keep on making centuries while not being selected to the west Indies team .
Let me go back to the original argument ..Stern is neither the present nor the future of Trinidad football but will always be a great contributor to past teams . I therefore do not see his selection to the present national team scenario as a positive move ...

I don't think people are saying he is the present or future, but rather if he shows in training that he is better than the young players they're open to idea of making him the present.

When I think about this argument, it reminds me of Arsenal. You can give young players a chance and let them get more experience from an early age, hoping that they develop into top players. Some will turn out like Fabregas and shine, some will turn out like Senderos and flop. But in order to give them the chance, sometimes Arsenal had to let the Vieira's and Henry's move on. Even though they might still have had something to contribute to the team. In the end they've developed some good talent, but at the same time they haven't won anything in a long time.

So to use it as an analogy for Trinidad, we want to give young players experience but we need to balance that with our desire to win games and qualify for the World Cup. And from what we see, our depth of talent is not sufficient enough that we feel it's worth letting a player like Stern go IF he has something to contribute to the team. I don't think the argument here is as much about Stern as it is about the principle of the thing.

And you used Dwight Yorke and Hutchinson as examples, but look at Alex Ferguson and a player like Van der Sar. With the amount of young talent in Man Utd squad its arguably more reasonable for Ferguson to let younger players takeover the reigns. But he still keeps the Scholes, Giggs etc around the team and plays them in the big games because sometimes that experience is what you need to win on the day. Just as Sterns experience MIGHT be what we need to get past a Guatemala or something in a crucial qualifier. 

Point is, if he shows that he can contribute he might be useful. It doesn't mean we don't give young players opportunities. That's what friendlies and squad rotation is about. But if you have a young player who gives up because Stern is around he feels like he hasn't been given a chance, then he probably doesn't have the mental strength to succeed as a footballer. 

excellent points  :beermug:

trinbago doesn't have a population of 120 million, that you can just cast aside talent and say they can wait for players who on the way out

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
Whatever else you say about Stern, he is the only current player with over 100 caps. That experience is valuable, which is why Beckham is still invited to train with the England squad.
Marv is as much a current player as Stern.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »
Allyuh ain't see is the boss taking him through the paces or what?  If the boss like what he see I ain't want to hear no talk.   ;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2011, 01:38:41 AM »
I still remember El Salvador in El Salvador...  :-[

everytime yu remember dat yu mus remember di two against guatemala at the end of di game when we were down 2-1 with five or 6 minutes left in the game..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »
Yuh might be right bout having experience on d team is a plus.  I like Stern sometimes, but his experience is useless since he have absolutely no leadership qualities.  Hence d reason he doh get d cyaptin armband ah tall.  I have played with many players who played with Stern during the last world cup we went to, and d consensus was d same....  ah matter ah fact, some players don't even respect him.  Yuh never see when Stern score against mexico and he cus way d whole covered stands???? lolololololol Wha kind ah leadership is dat?? I know strikers who play alongside d man and he didnt even talk to dem.. (which is fine, but d animosity shouldn't be on d field too) At least it had Yorke and Latas dey to calm him lil bit, even doh he use to be stick up under dem like ah tail...  But nutting wrong wit dat, ah jes cyah see his experience helping unless he change he ways...  Hopefully he mature ah lil bit, and start taking players under he wing.  Yuh never know, maybe he might drop back and play ah midfield.. lol

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:56 AM »
Yuh might be right bout having experience on d team is a plus.  I like Stern sometimes, but his experience is useless since he have absolutely no leadership qualities.  Hence d reason he doh get d cyaptin armband ah tall.  I have played with many players who played with Stern during the last world cup we went to, and d consensus was d same....  ah matter ah fact, some players don't even respect him.  Yuh never see when Stern score against mexico and he cus way d whole covered stands???? lolololololol Wha kind ah leadership is dat?? I know strikers who play alongside d man and he didnt even talk to dem.. (which is fine, but d animosity shouldn't be on d field too) At least it had Yorke and Latas dey to calm him lil bit, even doh he use to be stick up under dem like ah tail...  But nutting wrong wit dat, ah jes cyah see his experience helping unless he change he ways...  Hopefully he mature ah lil bit, and start taking players under he wing.  Yuh never know, maybe he might drop back and play ah midfield.. lol

valuable experience to pass on indeed :-\ leggo d love affair people, in 2005 he was as good as his supporting staff...we all know who dem was ;D if we could roll back d clock and take yorke an latas out d equation......hell take LATAS out d equation, who here go put d head on ah block and say d result would be d same...who?
I pity the fool....

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
Allyuh ain't see is the boss taking him through the paces or what?  If the boss like what he see I ain't want to hear no talk.   ;D

ah hope you eh makin ah case for pensioners here ?? Boss is 73 ... :devil:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »

ah hope you eh makin ah case for pensioners here ?? Boss is 73 ... :devil:
President of the TTFF is 80 ..Coach is 73 ...maybe we looking for an over 30  captain to complete the trend .... Brazil allyuh better look out we coming !! " Youth is wasted on the young "

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 01:15:37 PM »

f#ck allyuh
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »
Jai...see, now we have vision?   We didn't have vision when they put Latas as coach?  FROM  JUMP everybody did know Latas wasn't ready.  But we were willing to give him ah bligh and hope for the best.  Right?  Well give Stern a bligh nah and hope for the best.  At least we have a coach
Lefty you self, turning back clock an ting, like if that matters.  :devil:  Let me put it this way..Who else we have that could buss the net like a fit Stern?   And doh gimme no potential, possible talk eh!

And Kiffy that talk you talking dey is small ting.  Man ain't talking to me?..scheuups.  So what if Stern ain't talking to me dais he business...Stern ain't picking the team.  Is situations like that is when you perform and make them want to talk to you.  You don't cry about that like a lil punk.  There are no handouts in football.  Respect is earned.  Buh what the jail I hearing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:21:04 PM by Preacher »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
Jai...see, now we have vision?   We didn't have vision when they put Latas as coach?  FROM  JUMP everybody did know Latas wasn't ready.  But we were willing to give him ah bligh and hope for the best.  Right?  Well give Stern a bligh nah and hope for the best.  At least we have a coach
Lefty you self, turning back clock an ting, like if that matters.  :devil:  Let me put it this way..Who else we have that could buss the net like a fit Stern?   And doh gimme no potential, possible talk eh!

And Kiffy that talk you talking dey is small ting.  Man ain't talking to me?..scheuups.  So what if Stern ain't talking to me dais he business...Stern ain't picking the team.  Is situations like that is when you perform and make them want to talk to you.  You don't cry about that like a lil punk.  There are no handouts in football.  Respect is earned.  Buh what the jail I hearing.

Dont label me in dat preacher ....I always criticized Latapy as coach ...Go check it out . I also criticize the appointment of this fella as coach too ...So if you didn't know ...now you know . You seem to have settled on de " give de man a chance approach " so we will clearly differ. " At least we have a coach " ....???
That is to be proved ... .

I have been saying for years we need a developmental coach to implement a developmental programme. I not in this today for today ting. You should know that of me by now ...I around long time saying de same ting !  So I not on dis coach go take we brazil bandwagon.

It is because of what I see as the right approach...the one everyone else ..Jamaica. mexico...USA , costa Rica etc..is using that i disagree with de moonwalk approach. Look Mexico send an under 22 team to Copa America ...dem yutes getting to play against the best in south america ...you could be like Robinho...etc...is de message ...

Costa Rica ..same ting ..dey send ah youth team ...when dey meet we they go be tinking ...we play against better than dem already .....confidence high ...

You telling me on one hand we qualify an under 17 team, under 20 team  to youth WCups  and it eh have no yutes dey to work with ?

this is not really about Stern ...this is about an approach which has failed to stimulate interest in T&T football ... look how dey flocking to see young Brazil eh ? ...you tink it eh have better old stagers dan some ah dem who starting ? but de coach thinking bout de WC to be played in Brazil . You tink Fabiano  and  Kaka kyah make dat team ? you really tink so ? but dey watching though ....

Batista send his under 25 team on a european tour ...he leave messi, tevez, arguero etc...all ah dem home ...he thinking bout de next wc when some of these present players might be out ....

What is our approach ? well we might be arguing about something that may never take place ...maybe the coach may see rebuilding as the key ? So I dont see him as the solution but I could be wrong ...so I could leave dis argument here ...man could always say and old Beenie and some old stagers did work for we ?? ...and i will say ...what happen after when  all ah dem retire ??

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
I hear yuh brother.  I agree we need young blood.  But it is what it is with T&T football.   :beermug: BUT!!!!  Yuh fas and out af place to be talking about Mr. Pfister like that.  What yu mean "we'll see?"   :devil:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:36:20 PM by Preacher »

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
If argentina still putting faith in a 38 year old Zanetti who is we??

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
Allyuh see the way Colombia was playing. That is what Patcho was trying to teach them boys. But is either he was not good or them boys head too hard. take your pick.  :devil:

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 05:08:05 AM »
If argentina still putting faith in a 38 year old Zanetti who is we??

Fitz man put ah smiley face or a wink after that nah man:) Zanetti doh get tired atall, Stern aka "Mahal", not so much:)

Let Otto give de man ah chance if he want nah, he obviously see something in Stern dat he feel he could use.
Who knows it might take a first half of football for him to realize he mistake, OR (!!!) to make himself look like a genius!!!

"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
Allyuh see the way Colombia was playing. That is what Patcho was trying to teach them boys. But is either he was not good or them boys head too hard. take your pick.  :devil:

I will go wit Mats eh good to meh grave he was not good.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
If argentina still putting faith in a 38 year old Zanetti who is we??  ;D :devil:

Fitz man put ah smiley face or a wink after that nah man:) Zanetti doh get tired atall, Stern aka "Mahal", not so much:)

Let Otto give de man ah chance if he want nah, he obviously see something in Stern dat he feel he could use.
Who knows it might take a first half of football for him to realize he mistake, OR (!!!) to make himself look like a genius!!!

Hard luck fella, I go fix it  :devil:

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
this is not really about Stern ...this is about an approach which has failed to stimulate interest in T&T football ... look how dey flocking to see young Brazil eh ? ...you tink it eh have better old stagers dan some ah dem who starting ? but de coach thinking bout de WC to be played in Brazil . You tink Fabiano  and  Kaka kyah make dat team ? you really tink so ? but dey watching though ....

I agree with you to an extent. The difference is that when you talking about Brazil, the youth that coming through their ranks and getting national team call ups are the ones who have the ability. So when you throw them in the national team is to give them experience.

So its the same with Trinidad. Bring through the youth that have ability. Unfortunately it seems that coaches (except maybe Maturana) coming here and not seeing enough in the young players to integrate them. Sad to say. Maybe as you mentioned earlier they give up because they aren't given the chance when they expect it. The ones who do that need to be a more persistent and patient.

Fabiano and Kaka might make the Brazilian national team under a different coach. Maybe the can't anymore, I don't follow those players. But even if they could, they are not being replaced by youngsters who are a step down from them in their level of play, and they aren't being replaced by players who aren't good enough to get the results the team needs. And that's the two things any coach going to be thinking about when he has to make the decision between a Stern John and young local player.

As you say, this is not about Stern himself. And I'll make it clear that I am not a fan of Stern John. But at the same time, if Stern gets back to a decent level of fitness, I will be hesitant to put player like Jorsling ahead of him in an important national team game. Because from what I've seen, A league is rubbish compared to International football, and scoring goals Orlando Pirates/against Caribbean opposition doesn't necessarily translate into performing against the US, Costa Rica etc. On the other hand, I might be more likely to put a Darryl Roberts in ahead of Stern cause he's played in the Dutch League against better opposition and did well.

Basically my point is, a principle is a principle. But the fact-specifics matter. Or to put it another way, I'm all for giving young players a chance, but not just for giving them a chance sake. Development is important, but results are as well. And its possible to balance both with a mix of experience and youth. That's the coach's call.

Is it that you see young players who are good enough that considering Stern's inclusion shouldn't even be an option? Maybe we agree in principle and that is the real difference between your opinion and those you are open to including Stern. Sad to say, I'm not that confident in a lot of the young players in our national team setup. And maybe that's with good reason.

ps. The other thing is I don't think that developing players is the responsibility of a national team/coach.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:55:24 PM by dwn »

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 01:13:36 AM »
Stern can't be serious. We, Trinidad, CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT beat Mexico and the USA. Right now, Mexico is playing in Copa America, with their Under 23 Squad against South American opposition with their top squads. US and Mexico are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ahead of the curve and we cannot catch them.

Stern should he ashamed of himself saying that, we, TnT, could match the likes of Mexico and US. They will always and forever crush us.

We, TnT, are SIMPLY NOT READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1]; } ?>