March 29, 2024, 04:18:53 AM

Author Topic: Bunji Garlin will soon be no more  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bunji Garlin will soon be no more
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
Bunji Garlin will soon be no more
By Aba A. Luke (T&T Guardian)

Antonio Alvarez, known in the soca world as Bunji Garlin, will soon morph into another being. His transformation was initiated with the chopping of his dreads some two months ago, and via twitter on June 27, the artiste announced that his metamorphosis would soon begin. “The time of metamorphosis is here. New name coming soon, new image came last night… Presidentially Madderific, new slangs, new words,” he tweeted.

Bunji sends strong signal

In a quick chat with the T&T Guardian, the man who in 2011 told his detractors to “Hold A Burn,” explained that on Sunday during his first major performance in T&T following Carnival 2011, the formal attire he donned at the Basia Beat Breast Cancer concert was exactly what the public could look forward to in the future. “The vibe was light during my performance with the band, and I’ve decided to keep that in motion. I’m going with a full metamorphosis,” he assured. In recent months, Alvarez has been tweeting hard, blowing up the online social world with tidbits about his wife’s home cooking, his daughter’s appearance at the band’s rehearsals, and even offering solid words of wisdom in many instances. Monday’s tweet was, however, a signal that the new and improved “fireman” as he’s fondly known, will soon be unveiled, complete, he said, with a new name, a new musical edge and a new dress code he referred to as the “Presidential Swagg.”

Birthday bash in New York

The band returned to Trinidad from Summer Splash in St Thomas, to perform at the cancer awareness fund-raiser at the Queen’s park Savannah on Sunday, and Alvarez explained that the team would be on the road again soon, as they were scheduled to perform at Outrageous in Red in Barbados. Additionally, he’s busy with preparations for his birthday celebration, which takes place at New York’s Club VIP on July 23. “Makamillion, TC, Shal, Problem Child and a lot of other artistes will be there. New York was the original place for the party and it’s always a good stronghold,” he highlighted. On his planned metamorphosis, the soca impresario assured that it is a “process in progress.” He said he could only speak for himself, but hinted that wife Fay Ann Lyons was also tweaking things a bit to ensure bigger strides in the year ahead.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:02:05 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji Garlin will soon be no more
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
wuh? he goin an sing gospel?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:02:19 PM by Tallman »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »

Ah thought it was only me. Dat is de fuss ting dat come tuh mind when ah see de outfit.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
:rotfl: you like shit in trute

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
"Presidentially madderific"... "Presidential swag"... how old is dis fool?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

At least yuh didn't get ah " Blrrrrrt, Fiiyyyuuuuhhhh"
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »

LOL... ent!  Nah but seriously... I used tuh real love Bunji, right before he morph into dat Fire Man nonsense.  "War Song" to me was one of the more innovative and socially conscious soca songs to come along in quite some time.  Ma$termind is a pardna ah mines from NY too so I was real happy tuh see them pairing up.  But I eh know... is like from dat high Bunji just kinda regress and no longer creating... juss recycling, finding new ways to present the same material.  Would like to see a more mature, socially-conscious, dynamic artist.  And socially-conscious eh mean yuh have to try and be like Bob Marley or Singing Sandra... yuh could still sing yuh party music, just like Maximus before he fall off de grid.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

Then he will be goin bck 2 his beginnings.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »

LOL... ent!  Nah but seriously... I used tuh real love Bunji, right before he morph into dat Fire Man nonsense.  "War Song" to me was one of the more innovative and socially conscious soca songs to come along in quite some time.  Ma$termind is a pardna ah mines from NY too so I was real happy tuh see them pairing up.  But I eh know... is like from dat high Bunji just kinda regress and no longer creating... juss recycling, finding new ways to present the same material.  Would like to see a more mature, socially-conscious, dynamic artist.  And socially-conscious eh mean yuh have to try and be like Bob Marley or Singing Sandra... yuh could still sing yuh party music, just like Maximus before he fall off de grid.

Maximus Dan is no more! He is now known as Mx Prime and with the change of name he seems to have fallen off the hit music grid! Maybe Bunji wishes to do the same!  ::)

Ah didn't realise that Machel's little free style on Bunji in the Soca Monarch earlier this year and winning the $2mil instead ah him woulda lead Bunji to do all ah this nah?!  :o

Bunji really take that picong Machel give him to heart yes! Guess we only have Machel to blame for all his, he really advantage them badly this year!!  :devil:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:40:33 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »

Maximu Dan is no more! He is now known as Mx Prime and with the change of name he seems to have fallen off the hit music grid! Maybe Bunji wishes to do the same!  ::)

Ah didn't realise that Machel's little free style on Bunji in the Soca Monarch earlier this year and winning the $2mil instead ah him woulda lead Bunji to do all ah this nah?!  :o

Bunji really take that picong Machel give him to heart yes! Guess we only have Machel to blame for all his, he really advantage them badly this year!!  :devil:

I was thinking the same thing......where Machel say "we tired of the fire lyrics" in de freestyle verse
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »

Maximu Dan is no more! He is now known as Mx Prime and with the change of name he seems to have fallen off the hit music grid! Maybe Bunji wishes to do the same!  ::)

:rotfl: machel abusing him this carnival season really getting to the man heart. First he cut his dreads now this. trying to shed memory of a terrifying past lol

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 07:29:34 AM »
d man just want an image change. i doubt he take on any thing machel say. d music changing, and trinis taste in music changing too. so to stay relevant, d man just evolving wid d times

love bunji still
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »
d man just want an image change. i doubt he take on any thing machel say. d music changing, and trinis taste in music changing too. so to stay relevant, d man just evolving wid d times

love bunji still

i feel so too...plus his hairline was gradually receding so he had to cut that dread

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
(sung tuh de chune of Papa Chunks)
Some say ah trim, because hairline receding
Some say ah get ah bad horn, and it bleeding
Ah setta bullshit on Facebook ah reading
Thank God fuh de twitter every evening
Some say ah cut meh hair because ah lorse tuh Machel
Four Soca Monarch is two million as well

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150693371450394" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.facebook.com/v/10150693371450394</a>

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150693371450394" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.facebook.com/v/10150693371450394</a>

ah nice lil piece ah re-mix dey  8)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

My favorite Bunji song - the first one.  Very touching and I like when he big up Mickey and Stephan (Trottman) in the full version....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:37:14 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 09:54:28 AM »
darn machell put it on bunji like dat ..Just hope di man a guh pull a kartell
war
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>