March 28, 2024, 03:48:46 PM

Author Topic: T&T to face Haiti in Port-au-Prince on Aug 10  (Read 9293 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T to face Haiti in Port-au-Prince on Aug 10
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s Team will help mark the return of international football to the  Sylvio Cator National Stadium in Port-Au- Prince since last January’s devastating earthquake with a friendly international against Haiti’s Senior Team on August 10.

The game will also be Otto Pfister’s first since he took charge of the “Soca Warriors” earlier this year.

TTFF Technical Adviser Keith Look Loy said the game was confirmed on Friday and the T&T team will comprise of its best available players including those based overseas. Both teams will also meet in a return match at a date to be confirmed.

“We’ve agreed to play there on August 10th in Port-au-Prince. The venue has been used a shelter since then and we are looking forward with great anticipation to that day. Despite the tragedy of the 2010 earthquake, they remain one of Caribbean football's powers. At the same time, playing the Haitian national selection in Haiti, and on such a meaningful occasion, allows us to demonstrate our solidarity with the Haitian people in a tangible manner, and via a medium that they will readily appreciate - football. This will undoubtedly be a tough match and a good measure of where we are immediately prior to the beginning of World Cup 2014 qualification” Look Loy told TTFF Media.

It had been mentioned earlier that talks had been ongoing with Central American teams but they all proved to be unavailable on the FIFA date.

“We have no problems playing against Haiti. They have proven to be formidable opponents and have started their World Cup preparations and will take this match seriously in their own backyard. It will be a massive occasion for the players and the people of Haiti on that day,” Look Loy added.

T&T last played Haiti on August 10, 2008 at the same stadium, losing the friendly 1-0.

Haiti is currently coached by Brazilian Edson Tavarez and among their recent call ups for a 1-0 loss to El Salvador in February included Jean-Francois Lescinel of English club Swindon Town as well as Kenold Versailles of US club Rochester Rhinos, same as T&T duo Kendall Jagdeosingh and  Yohance Marshall, James Marcellin of Portland Timbers, Mechack Jerome of Orlando City (team of Kevin Molino and Devorn Jorsling) and goalkeeper Steward Ceus of MLS club Colorado Rapids. Some of their other international include Sporting Braga midfielder Joseph Peterson and defender Judelin Aveska of Argentine club Independiente . Haiti defeated Qatar 1-0 in a friendly in Doha last November.

The T&T senior team has been in training twice per week at the Ato Boldon Stadium and Pfister will select his squad for the encounter later this month.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T to face Haiti in Port-au-Prince on Aug 10
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
 ::) and D Bullsh!t begins..why am I not surprised that this is D best we can do!!!... :rotfl:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »
Nothing wrong with playing Haiti. They will give our current team a good run. The issue with everyone, I suppose is, we behind all the contenders in terms of preparation and match practice. For a country that has WC experience and a FIFA official who could have used his influence to get some decent oppostion for our prep. for Brazil, we are ver much behind the curve !!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »
Well get excited d morning of d 10th when I hear d game is on.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
Will get excited when I see who the Coach Pick.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:07:20 PM »
haiti have grounds to train on ??? or they just travelling from game to game ??

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:10:59 PM »
::) and D Bullsh!t begins..why am I not surprised that this is D best we can do!!!... :rotfl:
      Have patience Breds,it going to get better,TTFF/FIFA cleaning up their act,no more Bullsh!t.  

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »
Don't know why men fretting.  Haiti is always a tough opposition, especially at home.  Their squad seems to be decent, and they'll probably be well coached. 

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
haiti have grounds to train on ??? or they just travelling from game to game ??

it may have been better to play dat game in Trinidad or Miami ,I cyar see our foreign base risking playing in Haiti.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 02:14:47 AM »
Well get excited d morning of d 10th when I hear d game is on.
How allyuh so hard to please.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »

T&T last played Haiti on August 10, 2008 at the same stadium, losing the friendly 1-0.

Didnt we play them in the digicel cup qualifiers last year under Latapy??
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 06:53:04 AM »

Didnt we play them in the digicel cup qualifiers last year under Latapy??

Yes, and we beat dem 4-0. He is referring to de last time T&T played Haiti in Haiti. Is jes dat de sentence not written properly.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »
Everybody wants the Warriors to play on 10 August and playing Haiti in Port-au-Prince will be as hard as the come and will be excellent preparation for the World Cup qualifiers to follow in September. Equally, the people of Haiti have suffered for centuries for reason that we will not discuss here. The ONE things that unites all of them and brings some measure of joy to their very difficult lives is Football. To participate on the reopening of their national stadium after the devastation of the 2010 earthquake - an unprecedented  natural disaster tragedy on top of the man-made disaster that is their politics and history - is an honour for the people of Trinidad and Tobago and the Warriors. Whatever one's attitude toward the TTFF it should be possible to understand all of this, to support the match, and to wish the Warriors well in it.

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 02:04:40 PM »
Haiti in Port-au-Prince aint bad but dont hype we up with top European opponents just say friendly aug 10

football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »
Read the reports again. No-one ever referred with certainty to any specific opponent. It's all, and always, subject to availability and negotiation. In the end, as you say, Haiti in Haiti ain't bad. Not at all...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 02:44:37 PM »
it may have been better to play dat game in Trinidad or Miami ,I cyar see our foreign base risking playing in Haiti.

What "risk" would they be taking exactly?

Everybody wants the Warriors to play on 10 August and playing Haiti in Port-au-Prince will be as hard as the come and will be excellent preparation for the World Cup qualifiers to follow in September. Equally, the people of Haiti have suffered for centuries for reason that we will not discuss here. The ONE things that unites all of them and brings some measure of joy to their very difficult lives is Football. To participate on the reopening of their national stadium after the devastation of the 2010 earthquake - an unprecedented  natural disaster tragedy on top of the man-made disaster that is their politics and history - is an honour for the people of Trinidad and Tobago and the Warriors. Whatever one's attitude toward the TTFF it should be possible to understand all of this, to support the match, and to wish the Warriors well in it.

Excellent post.

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 03:01:10 PM »
Thank you Bakes...

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
What WC qualifiers , and against whom may i ask ?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
What WC qualifiers , and against whom may i ask ?

the groups have not been drawn yet .... but WCQ starts in sept

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28CONCACAF%29#First_round
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:03:57 PM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
play de fitball
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
A match against a full-strength Haitian side would be a formidable test for a team that has been dormant for over 8 months. The fact that it is in Haiti as part of a commerative re-opening of the Haiti national stadium makes the match all the more poignant; it goes beyond being a mere exhibition. Perhaps The Clinton Global Initiative can play a role in supporting the game.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Ah see they have we in the same group as guatemala, what ah ting. we have tuh make sure and win every game and win big too. or else guatemala would top the group and we'll never hear nor see the end of dat sorry sap preccio.

panama        - antigua barbuda           - puerto roco

Canada             - guyana            - barbados

el salvador       - suriname            -  cauracao

grenada          - stkitts nevis        - st vincent & gren

T&T                -  guatemala         - cayman island

haiti                - dominica            - nicaragua

they just waiting for the last six teams to finish qualifying ah guess, but @ least we have 3/4 of the groups in round two as to give us and idea of who we will face.

it would be nice "if" we could top the group and be put in the cuba honduras group,  :praying: BC that USA costa rica group is the group of two deaths.

mexico - jamaica

USA  - costa rica

honduras - cuba

who allyuh think would make it into the hexogonal ?  would be interesting to see what allyuh think. fill in the blank spaces if you will ppl

i woild like it to look like this after all is said and done.

mexico       jamaica          haiti         el saldaor

USA          costa rica       panama       grenada

honduras     cuba           canada           T&T
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:15:46 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »
Ah see they have we in the same group as guatemala, what ah ting. we have tuh make sure and win every game and win big too. or else guatemala would top the group and we'll never hear nor see the end of dat sorry sap preccio.

panama        - antigua barbuda           - puerto roco

Canada             - guyana            - barbados

el salvador       - suriname            -  cauracao

grenada          - stkitts nevis        - st vincent & gren

T&T                -  guatemala         - cayman island

haiti                - dominica            - nicaragua

they just waiting for the last six teams to finish qualifying ah guess, but @ least we have 3/4 of the groups in round two as to give us and idea of who we will face.

it would be nice "if" we could top the group and be put in the cuba honduras group,  :praying: BC that USA costa rica group is the group of two deaths.

mexico - jamaica

USA  - costa rica

honduras - cuba

who allyuh think would make it into the hexogonal ?  would be interesting to see what allyuh think. fill in the blank spaces if you will ppl

i woild like it to look like this after all is said and done.

mexico       jamaica          haiti         el saldaor

USA          costa rica       panama       grenada

honduras     cuba           canada           T&T

those are just groups based on ranking a team would be drawn at random from eat group 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
So Trini 2014 what yuh saying is that the top teams in pot 4 from the 2nd rounds could go up against each other? if it's a random darw then you could see teams like a T&T, panama, el salvador, canada in the same group? and we could also see a cayman island , turks and cakos, bahamas and st vincent & gren group ? i seriously doubt that's how it will go down.

i think the teams in pot 4 which is raked 7 to 12th will be the six teams that will be separated and the teams ranked 13 to 18th from pot 5 will line up in rank order against the teams from pot 4 and same for pot 6 and 7.

i could be wrong but this makes better sense to me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:28:57 PM by just cool »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 11:41:21 PM »
I spoke to Pfister today at the North East vs Joe Public friendly. Very approachable guy with lots of stories to tell. Nice sense of humour too. Had some interesting insights on player preperation and psychology.
Has a good sense of the players available to him and he said every game gets 100% dedication and he will not select a "make do" team. Every team he selects will be his strongest available, so don't expect too many local lads!

The one thing he said that struck home is that lack of facilities is no excuse. He said Ghana only has two football stadiums, so T&T have better facilities, however, African players play with immense passion for the game and he seems to feel that T&T players don't have that.

I feel if he can build a strong nucleus, he may produce the results we all want.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 12:48:02 AM »
I spoke to Pfister today at the North East vs Joe Public friendly. Very approachable guy with lots of stories to tell. Nice sense of humour too. Had some interesting insights on player preperation and psychology.
Has a good sense of the players available to him and he said every game gets 100% dedication and he will not select a "make do" team. Every team he selects will be his strongest available, so don't expect too many local lads!

The one thing he said that struck home is that lack of facilities is no excuse. He said Ghana only has two football stadiums, so T&T have better facilities, however, African players play with immense passion for the game and he seems to feel that T&T players don't have that.

I feel if he can build a strong nucleus, he may produce the results we all want.

False starter.  Ghana may lack internal facilities on par with Trinidad but their talent pool is larger and deeper than we have ever had... in part due to the fact that there is an establish pipeline of players headed off to European clubs.  One may argue that the talent is inherent and must be there before scouts evaluate it... but at the same time there must be scouts on hand to evaluate and be willing to give a player a chance.  I'm not sure that we're on an equal footing with the Ghanaians on that front. 

That said, there still is merit to his point... and perhaps it points to better support and development within Ghanaian football of whatever natural talents may be there.  In that regard we fall woefully short.  Additionally, as a people we can be dispassionate to our detriment... we're too laid back and easy going and not enough of us are hungry enough to see football as a way out.

Perhaps.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 02:51:01 AM »
Nothing wrong with playing Haiti. They will give our current team a good run. The issue with everyone, I suppose is, we behind all the contenders in terms of preparation and match practice. For a country that has WC experience and a FIFA official who could have used his influence to get some decent oppostion for our prep. for Brazil, we are ver much behind the curve !!!

We do not have a Fifa Official!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 02:53:25 AM »

Ah aint sure de earthquake was not man-made as well nah president. Spot on with the political mayhem though.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 04:13:31 AM »

We do not have a Fifa Official!

My bad!. When he was a FIFA official!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pfister to take strong squad to Haiti
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
Pfister to take strong squad to Haiti
T&T Express

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Otto Pfister will travel to Port-au-Prince to face Haiti on August 10, with his best available players in what will be his first friendly international since taking charge of the "Soca Warriors.'

Pfister said on Saturday that he was anticipating the encounter as he sets about the putting together of the team for the upcoming 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

"It's a good opportunity for us to get a friendly international on the FIFA date. I am happy about that because we need to be playing matches as this is the way for us to evaluate where we are in our preparations and for me to have a closer look at the players, especially the ones from overseas," Pfister told  TTFF Media.

"Okay it's going to be in Haiti and it's going to be a bit of an occasion there for them, being the first match at the stadium since the earthquake and we are honoured to be part of that but the most important thing for me and the team is the preparations for the World Cup qualification. This will not be an exhibition game for us because we have our work to focus on and that means working towards getting the best team ready for the qualification.

"Haiti will be ready for the game also because they are very passionate about football and they will not make it an easy game at home, so for me it's going to be an interesting match and a match that will be useful for our preparations," Pfister added.

Some of the overseas-based pros who have already trained under Pfister in June include the Ipswich Town duo of Carlos Edwards and Jason Scotland, as well as other European-based pros Khaleem Hyland, Lester Peltier and Darryl Roberts who is currently in search of a club. Pfister has also met with Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones and has kept tabs on the players based in the United States as well as Kazakhstan-based defender Robert Primus.

Roberts added that he has settled in under Pfister's charge.

"It's been pretty decent training under him. Obviously he comes with a big background and track record and he knows what he is about. He knows what he wants for the team and how he would like us to play and approach the game.We as players just need to respond to that and the sessions have been useful over the past few weeks.Once we go into a game situation then we will now have a better idea of how we are progressing in terms of understanding how he wants the team to play," Roberts said.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>