April 23, 2024, 12:09:04 AM

Author Topic: Sport reporter Trujillo passes away  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sport reporter Trujillo passes away
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:20:50 AM »
T&T Guardian

The T&T Guardian lost one of its most senior and popular reporters when Gregory Trujillo succumbed to his illness, pancreatic cancer at San Fernando General Hospital on Thursday night. He was 60. Trujillo had been diagnosed with the illness in 2009 and subsequently had surgery the same year. In December, he travelled to the United States to have a PET/CT Scan, which is not available in T&T. He is survived by his son, Dario, daughter, Rosario, brothers, Brian, Paul and David, and sisters, Charmaine, Carol and Joan. Trujillo joined the Guardian’s Evening News staff in the 1980s and later returned to contribute to the sports desk in 2007.

A graduate of Belmont Intermediate, now Belmont Secondary School, he played football for Colts Sports Club, Falcons Sports Club and Queen’s Park Cricket Club in the 1960s and 70s. Speaking to the Guardian yesterday, Trujillo’s son Dario said that his father was a generous and caring man. “He was an individual who touched many lives and showed love for everybody. I would say he would do anything to help anybody. That’s how he will be remembered by his friends and family.”

Guardian sports editor Valentino Singh added that he was a hard working employee who put the newspaper first.“Although he was ill, he remained committed to his job. Even towards the end, he found time to be in the office because he had the paper at heart. He was an allround writer who covered every sport and will be sorely missed by his co-workers.” His funeral will be held at Clark and Battoo Chapel, Tragarete Road on Thursday at 10 am.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sport reporter Trujillo passes away
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »
T&T Guardian

The T&T Guardian lost one of its most senior and popular reporters when Gregory Trujillo succumbed to his illness, pancreatic cancer at San Fernando General Hospital on Thursday night. He was 60. Trujillo had been diagnosed with the illness in 2009 and subsequently had surgery the same year. In December, he travelled to the United States to have a PET/CT Scan, which is not available in T&T. He is survived by his son, Dario, daughter, Rosario, brothers, Brian, Paul and David, and sisters, Charmaine, Carol and Joan. Trujillo joined the Guardian’s Evening News staff in the 1980s and later returned to contribute to the sports desk in 2007.

A graduate of Belmont Intermediate, now Belmont Secondary School, he played football for Colts Sports Club, Falcons Sports Club and Queen’s Park Cricket Club in the 1960s and 70s. Speaking to the Guardian yesterday, Trujillo’s son Dario said that his father was a generous and caring man. “He was an individual who touched many lives and showed love for everybody. I would say he would do anything to help anybody. That’s how he will be remembered by his friends and family.”

Guardian sports editor Valentino Singh added that he was a hard working employee who put the newspaper first.“Although he was ill, he remained committed to his job. Even towards the end, he found time to be in the office because he had the paper at heart. He was an allround writer who covered every sport and will be sorely missed by his co-workers.” His funeral will be held at Clark and Battoo Chapel, Tragarete Road on Thursday at 10 am.

RIP Breds,you have done yoeman service to those you have touched,my relationship with you will not end here,you will always be remembered for the good old days.To the family accept my condolences.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
RIP  :( 

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
R.I.P. Mr Trujillo.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
RIP
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
RIP... and condolences to family.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
RIP... and condolences to family.

cosign

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:20:59 PM »
RIP ball jumbie. Thanks for the fun Sunday morning games in the savannah. Thanks for Burrokeets. God Bless!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
Ah know this is ah sad affair so i wont turn it into a fiasco, but i have tuh say, that this is one of the reasons i "CANNOT", and i repeat, CANNOT, live in trinidad and tobago. ah simple thing as a pet scan machine they cant purchase and bring in the country.   :joker: :joker:  DO YOU KNOW HOW SHAMEFUL THAT SOUNDS??!!

is real monkeys running that place yes.                      May GOD grant you peace mr trujillio.  my sympathy's  to his family.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:18:24 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
respect...worked with him at The Guardian
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 04:54:40 PM »
Ah know this is ah sad affair so i wont turn it into a fiasco, but i have tuh say, that this is one of the reasons i "CANNOT", and i repeat, CANNOT, live in trinidad and tobago. ah simple thing as a pet scan machine they cant purchase and bring in the country.   :joker: :joker:  DO YOU KNOW HOW SHAMEFUL THAT SOUNDS??!!

is real monkeys running that place yes.                      May GOD grant you peace mr trujillio.  my sympathy's  to his family
        :beermug: :beermug:

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »

is real monkeys running that place yes.                      May GOD grant you peace mr trujillio.  my sympathy's  to his family.

If again... Is wotless they wotless. Peace to the bredrin. Past here present there very painstaking indeed,another genuine brother has left us
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:33:58 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
Only met Gregory once, when North East presented him with a cheque towards the cost of the scan. however, I was touched by his humility and the respect he attracted from football people. From speaking with him he seemed a real a gentleman. RIP.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 05:27:35 AM »
RIP Mr. Trujillo.   Be easy, Dario.  Your father made a difference.

Offline ironman

• Full Warrior
  • dont joke with u life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:16 AM »
RIP Greg Trujillo
tell them it was me

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 10:57:16 AM »
Yes I do believe that is monkeys that have been running TT and that has been going on for about 50 years,give this lot of monkeys some time and they may just buy the machine.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lee Sing remembers Trujillo as true sportsman
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 06:06:28 AM »
Lee Sing remembers Trujillo as true sportsman
T&T Guardian

EULOGY FOR THE LATE GUARDIAN REPORTER GREGORY TRUJILLO

I first knew Gregory Trujillo at Rosary Boys’ RC School. Gregory and Brian attended Rosary Boys’ RC School and his sisters attended St Roses Girls’ Intermediate. At Rosary Boys’ Gregory was in my opinion and recollection a smart person. Academically he was always in the top 10. Gregory was just as successful on the field of sport at Rosary as he was at Belmont Intermediate where he blossomed into one of the finest players/sportsmen our school has produced. I have always thought of Gregory as a gifted person with the talent to run, skip, and jump, play football and cricket. In my mind’s eyes he was a super hero of sorts. This against the background of my own inability to be as capable of matching my friend stride for stride. We left Rosary Boys’ together and journeyed to Belmont Intermediate, where we sat in the same bench at Form One and again in Form Two and then for some strange, unexplained reason, I was skipped to Form Four and the closeness of the relationship diminished, but we remained great friends. I continued to look on and write my pieces for the notice board from the editor as Gregory Trujillo blazed a trail for himself as a super sports personality within the Belmont family. This was to climax when we got past our long list of contenders to move into the Inter Col Championships in 1968.

At the heart of all of this was our Gregory Trujillo and so on that memorable evening in 1969 when we clenched the Inter Col title, Gregory was there and as always, demonstrated a disciplined approach to winning. In my mind, I could still see him without much fanfare, but with methodical discipline assisting his captain Gordon Husbands, in keeping our team together, playing always for the team and never for himself. He was in my view the ultimate team player. His conversion rate was high and to his contribution to our team, Kelvin “Skip” Lawrence said: “Gregory never missed; he was a clinical marksman, often jumping the height of players twice his height.” And so, he partnered with Wayne Lewis and Ron La Forest upfront in 1969 to lift the Inter Col trophy. A year earlier. Gregory was on the 1968 Colleges League Team partnering with Alvin Henderson, with support coming from Calbert Brooks and Leo Brewster for the Inter League Haywood Shield. This in itself was quite an achievement.

Following his successes at College’s League he played for Queen’s Park Cricket Club with his skipper of 1969 Gordon Husbands and George Romano. He also had a stint at Colts and Falcons. But who really was this chap: Gregory Trujillo? Gregory Trujillo was born on February 21, 1951 to his parents Amoy and Gerald Trujillo. He was the third child in a family of seven children—four boys and three girls. He was married to Joanne Farrell on June 30, 1974 and from this relationship came two (2) children—Dario and Rosario. It is instructive, Gregory passed away on June 30, 2011—precisely thirty-seven years to date, following his marriage. Gregory often spoke of his offsprings with the pride and joy of any loving and caring father. I recall the magic of the moment when he first introduced me to his eldest—Dario. I never forgot the smile or the expression of contentment of our friend, who was super proud of his son Dario. He was a sports journalist respected and loved within the profession and he came to the profession of sports journalism more qualified than many. Gregory knew sport, understood sport and could write and speak on any sporting discipline with the same degree of professionalism.

He knew sport, because he was himself an excellent sportsman. Long before golf became the sport of the “nouveau riche” Gregory could follow a tournament and report the details with the same ease he reported on the more naturally common games of football and cricket. I remember Gregory and I met up at Mt Irving Golf Club too many years ago to recall the date, and he tried his best to get me to understand the game. We parted and I still did not come to grips with the rudiments of the game of the rich and wealthy. As the tournament progressed I read the reports during the days that followed under the byline of Gregory Trujillo. Despite his sporting prowess I believe Gregory brought to our school, our teams and our lives a quiet, happy spirit that always seemed to permeate the spaces he shared with others. I could recall many scuffles at school—some of them I might have started, some the other Gregory, that is, Rousseau might have started; but I could never recall Gregory being engaged in conflict. He always brought a richness of spirit to the game, to the occasion and the moment. He had his own unique strength, which he shared with all who interacted with him. But Gregory was only a human beings and like all humans, had some weaknesses which greatly affected him; but to his eternal credit he conquered and for this we were all very happy; but more importantly he earned for himself renewed respect from many.

Gregory for nearly three years battled pancreatic cancer and did so against all odds. Kelvin “Skip” Laurence testifies he never disconnected from God’s love and leadership: “He demonstrated that nothing and nothing done can separate us from God’s love in Christ Jesus.” He truly took the step of faith in repentance and must have pleased the Father enroute to God’s favour. Despite all his trials Kelvin, who I believe, is truly the keeper of our several generations at Belmont and Ministers in his own special way, further testifies that “Gregory knew God could not bless that which was unclean, so he shook off all unrighteousness.” Skip continues: “At arguably the ‘lowest point’ of his life’s journey, he established the word, will and purpose of God in nearly every action.” During the last five years I spoke to Gregory often. Sometimes he would drop in on me, but there were times we just spoke on the phone.”

As a believer myself, I came to appreciate our conversations with a deeper sense of understanding of the changes my friend had gone through during his life. Towards the end, he spoke of a contentment and understanding of life in a manifestation I have come to recognise that has had special meaning. I truly believe Gregory was at peace with his family, his friends and had made peace with our ultimate Father. On occasions he would say to me: “Louis I know God has kept me alive for a reason; I should have been long gone.”

He kept his faith to the end and I am satisfied he surrendered to the greatest of all architects in peace and fulfilment I am advised by his daughter Rosario that his last sentence was: “I just want to be free.” And so on June 30, 2011, the day of his youngest brother’s birthday and 37 years to date of his marriage, he was freed from all his pain and suffering and was indeed free. I did not know Gregory was called “Spanish,” but Rosario says everyone called him Spanish. She makes the point that “He was a good man, always ready to give advice and offer information about his past and present life.” Gregory was very active as a teacher and lecturer to Narcotics Anonymous classes. So concerned had Gregory become, he studied for and was certified in Narcotics and Drug Abuse at UWI. Our friend and brother is credited with having helped dozens of addicts recover and return to normal happy lives. We who knew him will undoubtedly miss him, as he was a special person with an equally special spirit. How we use this experience with Gregory to enrich the lives of others is our challenge as we say fond farewell my brother. Until we meet again—play to your hearts delight and continue being the marksman so aptly described by Kelvin.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pint-sized person, gallon-sized heart—Gregory Trujillo
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »
Pint-sized person, gallon-sized heart—Gregory Trujillo
By Hannibal Najjar (T&T Guardian)

I preface this most deserving tribute to my friend Gregory Trujillo with a statement that has always been the driving force in my life. The statement gives me the passion in all of my life’s undertakings—it reads—“The hunger for love is greater than the hunger for food” (Mother Theresa). To feel loved, appreciated, and cared for without a need to reciprocate or repay, yields ominous joy and a conviction that the recipient contributes, thrives, and conquers. That is what this tribute is all about. The decades of the 60s and 70s produced a foray of formidable football fellows in T&T. They developed their skills, love and passion for the game in high school and club rivalries that our nation has been unable to reproduce in the 40-to-50 years since. Gregory Trujillo was one of those players. A simple and humble person with an engaging smile who, in his playing days followed by his days as a sports journalist with the Trinidad Guardian, did what he could to always promote football and the qualities that made fine men in T&T.

Gregory left this life last June 30. When he had called me to tell me about his illness, we shared a silence across the ocean that separated us, he in T&T and I, in St Louis, Missouri.

The mutual silence marked our reminiscing of the years we had played together, our off-the field encounters, and sharing when I coached national and local club football in Trinidad and abroad. During our call we talked finances, medication, personnel involved, and related ergonomics that were associated with his new challenge. He was not full-time employed and his hospitalisation made matters challenging. There, a thought surfaced and I told him that I would get back to him on it. We spoke of his two children, Dario and Rosario, and, I obtained their phone numbers for further contact. In discussing the personnel involved, I learnt that my good friend Dr Alvin Henderson was involved with his case, and that pleased me. As Gregory requested, we prayed on the phone and I asked God to increase my understanding in matters as this, as my friend was hurting. He concluded, “Hanni, I love you man”, words that still soothe my ears and bring peace to my spirit. “Love you too Gregory, even if you belonged to the other Saints”—Belmont, not St Mary’s—we chuckled at this tease.

Acting on the “thought” that surfaced during that phone call, I spoke to my good friend, Mr Norman Sabga of the ANSA-McAL Group, and asked him to contact Gregory. Norman delivered on his word encouraging Gregory and expressing gratitude for his service to the company. Gregory called me to tell me how happy Norman’s call made him. A few days later, as Gregory prepared for surgery, I spoke with Rosario at the hospital and she told me that he was in such good spirits. I write this article as a tribute to Gregory and a fading era in T&T football. CIC and Belmont, a rivalry built on a love for life and the game, respect and a desire to excel and exceed, and, a need to play against and beat the best to become the best. It was an era in which we did not just shrug off losses, but one that epitomised the ecstasy of victory and the agony of defeat because we appreciated the quality of the “opposition.” Just today, as we put Gregory’s remains (ashes) to rest at the Lapeyrouse Cemetery, Kelvin “Skippy” Lawrence and Brian Trujillo (Belmont), and Ian “Charla” Dore and myself (CIC) and daughter, two sisters, wife, and mother, stood side-by-side respecting the near, unconquerable opposition of death.

Yes, 1960’s and 1970’s CIC and Belmont (and QRC)—an Intercol and League rivalry that recognised that bragging rights require you to play and beat the best. Alvin Henderson, Ian Bain, and Michael Cooper, Steve Waldron, Russell Teixeira, Wayne Dopson, and Mark Kendal (CIC) and, Winfield St Hill, George Romano, Gordon Husbands, Kelvin “Skippy” Lawrence, and Ian “Phil” Garcia (Belmont) did; Trevor Leiba, Luciano Woodley (CIC) and Wayne Lewis and Brian Trujillo (Belmont) did; and though I was an active “Fellow” of the earlier-mentioned CIC teams, I cherish isolating the next matching pair—Hannibal Najjar (CIC) and Gregory Trujillo (Belmont) did. Apologies are extended to all those “Fellows” that were not mentioned in this tribute—unquestionably, you have all made Trojan’s contributions to this game, country, and “love affair”. Thank you Belmont! As this photo of our 2007 Old Boys Ash Wednesday match reminds me, young men or older, we love the beautiful game. Thank you for your gentle-spiritedness and laughter and for our meaningful discussions that we always shared, as one might imagine was taking place from the looks of this photo. Gregory Trujillo, you will be missed for I believe that you and the entire Trujillo clan lived out the Bible verse of Micah 6:8, that we “Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God”.

I hope that I have not caused you hurt or disappointment in our times spent together. Thank you Gregory!

Late Trinidad Guardian sports reporter Gregory Trujillo,
left, chats with Hannibal Najjar at the 2007 Old Boys Ash
Wednesday football match.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 09:30:32 AM »
Rest in peace amigo!!!

1]; } ?>