April 19, 2024, 07:26:12 AM

Author Topic: Government Intervention  (Read 2356 times)

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Government Intervention
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:32:08 AM »
Should the government by extension the NAAA interevene to protect our young athletes from being destroyed by these foreign universities. I proposed that the government through the NAAA starts to fund the scholarship of these athletes by arranging aggrements with these foreign universities to help the further development of our athletes. For instance Baylor University is a very good university for quarter milers but for a 800m runner like Gavyn Nero was it the best fit , most time our athletes takes up scholarship that are being offered but the coaching in the area they specialize in is not up to par so our athletes actually decline from the level when they left Trinidad. Can anything be done that we can send our best athletes to the school that coaches the best for that discipline , Even if it means the gov't picking up the Tab , they already pick up the Tab for academics, who usually turn around and end up working in the states , so thereby adding no value back into our economy, While the athletes can add value by representing us on the world stage.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Government Intervention
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 12:45:04 PM »
Ultimately, an athlete's decision to attend a university is his/hers and the parents choice.

I was recruited by 8 schools, most of them D1 but it was up to my family to research the school's academics and coaching credentials in an age without the internet. The club I ran for did have some returning athletes who were able to advise to some degree, and others already in university who were in a position to "sell" the benefits of attending their school.

I think the element of advise is most valuable in helping athletes and parents understand the "deal" they are signing up for. The athlete gets a free education, the school commands that the athlete put their athletic goals alongside education (ie going to practice, competing at most/all scoring meets all in an effort to build the school's athletic prominence). They need to determine whether the coach thinks small picture (run as many meets and score as many points for the school), or big picture (I have an athlete who may be good enough to compete for the his/her country after the season so I have to be pick the meets that satisfy all parties - state, conference, regionals, NCAAs, without burning them out)

Ultimately football, baseball, and basketball programs serve to attract academic students, alumni and sponsoring businesses to WINNING schools. Everybody wants to be associated with WINNERS. They spend money on tuition, research, scholarships, and facilities. That's the overall goal of an athletic program and thereby the university.

Whether the T&T government or the NAAAs have the where-with-all to recruit and build a network of former athletes by event/conference/school who can advise aspiring athletes (via a forum or in person) is a good question. I think that collective advise would do well to help athletes make decisions on where is best for them (athletically, socially,  academically, and post-athletic career wise).

As far as some kind of scholarship fund that ensures athletes have more leverage in a decision than the recruiting school or schools, a business case for economic and/or intangible benefits for athletic excellence would have to be made by a PASSIONATE NAAAs to the line minister, or a Minister to his/her PM. After all we are talking about taxpayers' money. Where they have not done such a good job is convincing the private sector to get more involved in such ventures.

Jamaica understands the model much better. Athletic prowess like reggae has attracted curiosity around the world and have as a result impacted their tourism product, people want to know where Bolt grew up, what he ate, where he trains, what makes him and other Jamaicans great athletes. In addition, when you have a world renowned icon or area of excellence (T&F), leveraging it for product/service marketing is only made easier, so the marketing money flows in to JA athletics. Without much mineral resources, Jamaicans have already mastered marketing, and it is now even easier when you have a hook.

Whether those in the T&T government, private sector or the governing athletic bodies can connect the dots between athletic excellence and economic and social value is a good question.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:03:44 PM by STMB »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »
Jussbless, politics and athletics don't mix!!!!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
Jamaica has a lot of mineral resources. Bauxite and gypsum come to mind readily! We just dont do a good job of managing it.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:22:12 AM »
Jamaica has a lot of mineral resources. Bauxite and gypsum come to mind readily! We just dont do a good job of managing it.

A bit like most countries in Africa!  :-X
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
Well that's what happens when you put politicians in charge of economies, whether for commodities or sport.
Most of them ignore the technocrats (permanent secretaries) and others in-the-know and make decisions to further their interests, forgetting that they are public SERVANTS, but I preach to the choir, allyuh don know that

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »
NAAA can't even intervene to protect athletes from having to run trials 2 weeks before worlds, you want them to help with NCAA issues?  :rotfl:

Monkey know what tree to climb. They holding this money they give yearly over the athletes' heads to force them to run....even if it means (and will almost certainly mean) ZERO medals for TNT this worlds.

Remember I said it.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
Well to be fair, the mismanaged postponement of the national champs is due to (i) the HC track not being ready on time and (ii) the lack of foresight to have at least another certified/in condition/available stadium for the meet.

So who really finances, manages, or controls the track laying project or the preparation/certification of stadia?
Is it the NAAAs, the SPORTT company (whatever it's called), or the Minister of Sport and his PS?

Whatever the NAAA's level of competency (or lack thereof) to properly administer track and field meets and promote athlete development, they may be mere scapegoats here, as they truly do not control any kind of sizable budget to ensure these larger/infrastructural requirements.

They live by the grace of the Ministry of Sports because other than maybe just SAGICOR, T&T private sector just does not give a shit about track & field because there is no business advantage for them (their children into swimming, track cycling, triathlons club cricket, field hockey and rugby). It is only after an athlete wins on his own that corporate sponsors jump only on that one athlete's back for the ride until well the success is over then they disappear again.

On another note, so KAB can't medal????? Just looking at her eyes, you could see that Tobagonian bad mind and ambition. Josanne surprised us in 2009, I wouldn't bet against KAB either.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:44:04 PM by STMB »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »
Well to be fair, the mismanaged postponement of the national champs is due to (i) the HC track not being ready on time and (ii) the lack of foresight to have at least another certified/in condition/available stadium for the meet.

So who really finances, manages, or controls the track laying project or the preparation/certification of stadia?
Is it the NAAAs, the SPORTT company (whatever it's called), or the Minister of Sport and his PS?

Whatever the NAAA's level of competency (or lack thereof) to properly administer track and field meets and promote athlete development, they may be mere scapegoats here, as they truly do not control any kind of sizable budget to ensure these larger/infrastructural requirements.

They live by the grace of the Ministry of Sports because other than SAGICOR, T&T private sector just does not give a shit about track & field because there is no business advantage for them (their children into swimming, track cycling, triathlons and rugby). It is only after an athlete wins on his own that corporate sponsors jump only on that one athlete's back for the ride until well the success is over then they disappear again.

On another note, so KAB can't medal????? Just looking at her eyes, you could see that Tobagonian bad mind and ambition. Josanne surprised us in 2009, I wouldn't bet against KAB either.

Why would you think that the NAAA might be a mere scapegoat in this scenario? The NAAA whether they have a sizable budget or not should have a vested interest in protecting the limited infrastructure they may have access to. By sitting back and throwing your hands up while stating "daiz de government own we cyah do nothing if they want to keep a concert" is a big cop-out. The NAAA for to long has been a passive on-looker as athletes struggle to put the country and themselves on the map.

At some point the NAAA need to step up and become much more involved and invested in the future of the athletes and the sport. The only direction the finger should be pointing is to them. Their job is to provide proper infrastructure for athletes to gain some form of success through training and competing. It is letting the NAAA off their responsibility for athletes when saying they are severely limited in what they can do to ensure that athletes prepare themselves properly. For far to long the NAAA (despite the various leaders)has been twiddling their thumbs while athletes carry them to success.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:55:50 PM »
Not so. Look I am not defending the NAAA, I am just looking at this realistically.

If tomorrow the NAAAs were to guff up/man up and go to the Ministry and say so on and so on needs to change and be in pace for quality T&F, and the Ministry decide they don't want to act, what can the NAAAs do. NOT A DAMN THING. They have no real power.

I do think they need to be inventive at recruiting outside of their immediate group for leadership. As far as I know the NAAA votes their leaders from club representation that include parents, coaches, parents who become coaches, and past athletes. Most of them have not historically had deep connections or influence in business in T&T. Track & field is a poor man's sport (a pair of spikes, jogging shoes, a singlet and shorts).

They need to either change their selection process or attract people from outside of the home-grown athletic fraternity. People who in their everyday career manage, plan, attract sponsorship, sell a vision, or plain just have school-boy/girl networks in T&T business.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »

They live by the grace of the Ministry of Sports because other than SAGICOR, T&T private sector just does not give a shit about track & field because there is no business advantage for them (their children into swimming, track cycling, triathlons and rugby). It is only after an athlete wins on his own that corporate sponsors jump only on that one athlete's back for the ride until well the success is over then they disappear again.

Why would you think that the NAAA might be a mere scapegoat in this scenario? The NAAA whether they have a sizable budget or not should have a vested interest in protecting the limited infrastructure they may have access to. By sitting back and throwing your hands up while stating "daiz de government own we cyah do nothing if they want to keep a concert" is a big cop-out. The NAAA for to long has been a passive on-looker as athletes struggle to put the country and themselves on the map.

At some point the NAAA need to step up and become much more involved and invested in the future of the athletes and the sport. The only direction the finger should be pointing is to them. Their job is to provide proper infrastructure for athletes to gain some form of success through training and competing. It is letting the NAAA off their responsibility for athletes when saying they are severely limited in what they can do to ensure that athletes prepare themselves properly. For far to long the NAAA (despite the various leaders)has been twiddling their thumbs while athletes carry them to success.

Boss post Elan...why dse sports organizations in T&T ALWAYS crying for government intervention?  And when shit is being done to promote fete over sport dey doh whimper..suck asses and bottom lickers. 

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 12:28:19 AM »
Sportt should take MAJOR blame for not having the track ready, and NAAA for the dumbest decision in recent memory. This was NOT the fix. It made a bad situation worse.

SMTB is right. I have not agreed with the many who have said this but it's true:

NAAA needs someone at its helm who commands respect in the track and field world globally (and no, I am not campaigning for the job because it's not a job I would EVER want, when I said I was done I meant it after the last basket I took/was given) as well as will make corporate TnT want to get on board.

Jamaica has both.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 05:59:16 AM »
Sportt should take MAJOR blame for not having the track ready, and NAAA for the dumbest decision in recent memory. This was NOT the fix. It made a bad situation worse.

SMTB is right. I have not agreed with the many who have said this but it's true:

NAAA needs someone at its helm who commands respect in the track and field world globally (and no, I am not campaigning for the job because it's not a job I would EVER want, when I said I was done I meant it after the last basket I took/was given) as well as will make corporate TnT want to get on board.

Jamaica has both.
This time I am in agreement with Ato but I dont think it actually need someone that commands respect in the track and field world persay, but someone with a drive to propel track and field forward and the ability to get it done. In other words , someone that loves the sport more than money or more than the love of promoting themselves, that actually put the sport on the front burner over everything else.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:00:32 AM »
One thing that is interesting and continues to dog athletics is the following:

The relevant Ministry administers both Sport and Culture.

Culture as it pertains to promoted Carnival fetes in need of a venue is a PROFIT center (people making money)

Sport on the other hand is still viewed as a COST center (funding of teams, programs, looking for subventions, etc)

Until someone can illustrate to the government, private sector how Sport can become a revenue source it is most likely doomed to play second fiddle to the fetes in the stadia.

When I watch the Diamond League, I see people not just being entertained but being wowed by the best there is, so they come out in the tens of thousands. It's like going to see Cirque du Soleil, you do not know what to expect but you know it is going to be great, and the magic changes every year with new but consistently great talent.

Believe it or not, for the younger ones in here, in the 70s (when there was only channel 2 and 13, no satellite dish, no cable TV, no internet, no US programming of NBA basketball/formula one car racing, etc) sport used to be the best deal in town on a Saturday afternoon other than a double feature movie at your local cinema.

I witnessed crowds like you see in Jamaica champs replete with people climbing on the roof of the Arima velodrome to see Leslie King battle Daniel Morelon in the match sprint, Hasely Crawford battle Steve Williams then Steve Riddick in what we thought was a new WR though it was a wind aided HT 9.8, twice in one weekend (Williams beat Crawfie in 9.9 and they ran a rematch the next day which Crawfie won in 9.8 sec) You could not find standing room in the house.

When there used to be Relay Championships (a points and trophy meet), clubs would bring their "Best Village" drumming and rhythm sections and it was mas in the place. There was even a DJ spinning tunes downstairs. Men would come up to you to buy you an Apple J if you won your race because there was also a "horse race" betting pool in the place. Same thing at Southern Games with the likes of Horace Tuitt cutting some Kenyan backside in the 800, or down in Point Fortin or Palo Seco. Communities used to come out to support athletes, and I think it was because they came to see and witnessed QUALITY track and field and cycling, much like they enjoy in Europe on a grander scale today.

It is however a harder sell for people today given the amount of additional entertainment and distraction, so you have to work harder to market such events as REVENUE makers.

Jamaica has invested in quality coaching, effective catchment mechanisms to find those jewel athletes from small, gotten long term sponsors for track meets, made track and field main stream, and made the Champs an "intercol-style" competitive meet, that fuels, attracts and recycles the talent pool.

Look we have the quality in T&T but it only comes along every 10 years it seems. With all of JA's history in sprinting, none has run as fast as Ian Morris still. And well, we still hold the 100m junior WR. It is just a matter of making this more of an assembly line where, as an example, a triathlete like Gavyn Nero could find out he could be a star track and field athlete and not get lost in a sport that may not have maximized his talents.

But I digress.......
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:24:22 AM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
God stufff STMB!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »
 Hasely Crawford battle Steve Williams then Steve Riddick in what we thought was a new WR though it was a wind aided HT 9.8, twice in one weekend (Williams beat Crawfie in 9.9 and they ran a rematch the next day which Crawfie won in 9.8 sec) You could not find standing room in the house.

Saw that in Arima. That was total madness. That is when Spoerts was king, not now.

Offline trace1906

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 06:07:02 AM »
[/quote]

Our athletes (the main contenders) are very much uncomfortable with the situation and share Ato's sentiments. They are messing big time with our medal hopes. Set a quacks in dis place yes. I thought WI cricket was bad >:( :( :-[

1]; } ?>