April 19, 2024, 01:45:21 PM

Author Topic: You make the call: Chris Birchall's tackle on Patrick Nyarko  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
You make the call: Chris Birchall's tackle on Patrick Nyarko
MLSsoccer.com

Another MLS weekend, another talking point centered around a referee's decision.

On Saturday, in the LA Galaxy's 2-1 defeat of the Chicago Fire, LA midfielder Chris Birchall was cautioned for a late and reckless challenge on Chicago's Patrick Nyarko.

But take a look at the tackle again. Do you think it warranted the yellow card caution he received, or do you think the referee should have shown Birchall a red card? Should Birchall have received more than just a red — further punishment, perhaps?

Nyarko himself has his own opinion: “I don’t know why it was a yellow card. I thought he should’ve been sent off."

If you were the ref, what would you have shown: yellow or red? Let us know!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xI0IsQn1dcA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xI0IsQn1dcA</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: You make the call: Chris Birchall's tackle on Patrick Nyarko
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Agricultural
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
Reminds me of that tackle Yorke put on that player from Guatemala in one of our 2010 world cup qualifiers during the Hex!

Maybe the ref was surprised by a white guy with a Trini accent so decided to go soft on him!!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »
I think I woulda give him yellow just like the ref.  Tackle was late but he didn't lift his foot to takle but instead swept.  So while it look a lil reckless is a genuine attemt and he simply fanned on the ball.  If his foot came up I would have said red as it could be interpreted he was never really going for the ball.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
The speed the guy was going at made it look a lot worse than it was, but trust me, all of us in here know that if that had happened with one of our players we would have been baying for blood. i think Birchall has a reputation as being a decent fella, that probably played in his favour.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
Allyuh real bias yes, that was definitely ah red card together with suspension. birchall coulda break the fella's legs if dude didn't leave his feet. definitely a wild man tackle.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:29:02 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
pause dat video at exactly 1 second...obviously birchall was after the ball. looks worse that it is.  man got to ball first and jumped cuz he KNEW tackle was on and coming...steups...some people never play hopscotch and talking shit, but card could have been justified either way.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
Straight red. No effort to get the ball. Birchie like he realize he wasn't getting to the ball and lost he mind. High up clash of shin pads. Straight red. Ref probably feel no real malice just mistime and give him a break.
Two islands are better than one.

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
Straight red. No effort to get the ball. Birchie like he realize he wasn't getting to the ball and lost he mind. High up clash of shin pads. Straight red. Ref probably feel no real malice just mistime and give him a break.

steups how yuh go say no intent to get de ball....there was every intent, he was jes real slow getting there

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
No doubt in my mind. Wreckless challenge, could have pulled out, straight red......until I watched it in slow motion. Then I realised that although Birchall was a little late, he was attempting to play the ball. Nyarko's speed and skill made it look a lot worse. If I was his coach, I'd probably not want him to make those kind of challenges. As we can see, Nyarko easily saw the challenge coming and if Birchall hadn't fouled him, Nyarko would have space to run into.

truetrini

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
No doubt in my mind. Wreckless challenge, could have pulled out, straight red......until I watched it in slow motion. Then I realised that although Birchall was a little late, he was attempting to play the ball. Nyarko's speed and skill made it look a lot worse. If I was his coach, I'd probably not want him to make those kind of challenges. As we can see, Nyarko easily saw the challenge coming and if Birchall hadn't fouled him, Nyarko would have space to run into.

exactly, he was going for ball all the time, fella got there in front and pushed ball away Birchall made contact, but Nyarko saw it coming long time...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:13 PM »
Maybe the ref was surprised by a white guy with a Trini accent so decided to go soft on him!!  ;)

Except he has a British accent  ;D

I say straight red, but glad he only got yellow 'cause I bias fuh we boy lol....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:18:40 PM »
Steups ..... straight red. That was excessive, not to mention potentially career ending.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »
Gentile would be proud.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
That's a yellow. You have to be crazy to say that's a red card. It's not even a tackle. It's a swing and miss at the ball. His whole body movement and posture is kicking the ball away.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »
That tackle came in 94 mins into the game as well. I think it could've gone either way but maybe it came down to how the ref was handling the game. If he let things go earlier, he prolly didn't see it necessary for a red.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
If he had tackled Beckham, he prob. would have gotten the red.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
pause dat video at exactly 1 second...obviously birchall was after the ball. looks worse that it is.  man got to ball first and jumped cuz he KNEW tackle was on and coming...steups...some people never play hopscotch and talking shit, but card could have been justified either way.
:yapping: You just like tuh hear yuh self bark yes. whether ah fella played marbles alone and never kicked ah soda can in his entire life, that would never change the fact that the tackle, whether he intended to get the ball alone, was still ah reckless challenge and birchall coulda broke the guy's legs if he never left his feet on time. end of fackin story!

that was ah wildman challenge, ball or no ball.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:34:40 PM »
Allyuh real bias yes, that was definitely ah red card together with suspension. birchall coulda break the fella's legs if dude didn't leave his feet. definitely a wild man tackle.

Nah it looks worse than it is... kudos to the ref in hindsight because he got it right the first time w/o the benefit of replay.  I watch this earlier today when Tallman post it, and stopped the video between :01 and :02 just as Birchall made impact.  He was just a hair late and his foot never left the ground, never showed his studs.  As Midknight say, the speed of the play made it look a lot worse. 

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:35 PM »
If he had tackled Beckham, he prob. would have gotten the red.

Correct!! Especially after pleding to the ref in a Trini accent!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:29:10 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
In open play it looks terrible.- Straight red. In slow mo it looks reckless but non malicious -Yellow Card.. Ref no slo mo so he lucky to have  gotten a yellow and not red. De dude however did ride de challenge and as such helped it to not be as bad as it could have been. Take Time de Birchall!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 02:57:58 AM »
red card  and 6 months...shelling peas
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 04:14:22 AM »
Birchall playing bush league in the off season? That tackle reminiscent of some wild man tackle yuh does see in them league.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 05:44:51 AM »
Good to see Birchy playing with Passion- Trini accent - Please- Straight red.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 06:54:18 AM »
That is a straight red card for me.

Allyuh could pause video and rewind all allyuh want, this isn't NFL and the referee isn't officiating with video replay. Whether or not his intent was to go for the ball, the challenge was poorly timed and reckless.

If "intent to go for the ball" was the sole deciding factor in every straight red, then straight red cards would hardly exist. Example, what makes that tackle any different from the red card tackle Shawcross put on Aaron Ramsey?? Besides, any professional footballer worth his salt knows how to take a player out making it look like he going for the ball.

Not saying that was Birchall's intent but I'm sure looking at the replay he would feel lucky to have escaped a red.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »
No blood no foul  ;D

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »
Sorry, but as much as ah love Birchie, that is a red card. He get away dere
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »
Yellow Card

1. No studs
2. No intent
3. 1-footed
4. Nyarko's speed shifted right before the tackle
5. Nyarko made it look worse than it was (not to influence the ref, but prob moreso to limit the damage)
6. Birchall's reaction, reputation play a part. He also hurt himself on the play. Yellow is enough punishment
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:57:29 AM by supporter »
Hart for president

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
If he had tackled Beckham Donovan, he prob. would have gotten the red.

fixed

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
To many of us living in the USA to long. That in NOWAY is a red card. Birchall did not tackle the player, he swung at the ball.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>