April 27, 2024, 02:32:04 AM

Author Topic: Who will take up Boldon's baton?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Who will take up Boldon's baton?
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:05:44 AM »
Who will take up Boldon's baton?
By Garth Wattley
Story Created: Jul 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM ECT
 Story Updated: Jul 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM ECT

The feet are moving fast again.The world over, running tracks and jumping pits from Rome to Kingston are full of activity as athletes do their thing.

Most of them are building up to next month's IAAF World Championships of track and field which will be held in Daegu, South Korea, from August 27 to September 4.

There really is no shortage of activity.

'World Championships' are now as run-of-the-mill as one-day international cricket matches. Almost every sport has them.

There is a world champion for everything, even for the American basketball league (Isn't it presumptuous for the NBA winners to be declared world champions?).

But boxing takes the cake. There can be a world title on the line virtually every month given the plethora of weight divisions and boxing organisations that have spawned over the years.

And with 24-hour television capturing almost everything international sport has to offer "live", it is easy not to bother too much with world championships. After all, the Olympics in London are coming up next year.

However, track and field's second biggest meeting—the World Champs—still catch my fancy. Maybe it is because of the great variety that exists. The track championships are a series of events within an event. It is like a mini Olympics.

For those who like the really fast action, there is the 100 metres which, especially because of Usain Bolt, is over well before you can count to ten!

But there is also the 400 metres, a fast one-lapper, a real lung-burster with strategy. But if you want a race of tactics and drama, try an 800 or 1,500 metres clash of the world's best.

It can also be a thing of beauty to see how jumpers soar through the air after sprinting into a leap, especially the triple jumpers. Then there is the human drama.

The range of emotions that success and failure can produce are writ large on the faces and in the body language of athletes when gold medals and records are on the line.

I can still see Michael Johnson's face, his eyes ready to pop out of his head, muscular arms spread wide and raised to the sky as he glanced at the electronic timer which read: "19.32" at the end of the 1996 Olympic 200 metres final in Atlanta.

Then there was Derek Redmond, the British quarter-miler whose hamstring failed him during his semi-final heat at the Barcelona Games in 1992.

His face was etched in the deep pain caused both by the injury and the dashing of his medal hopes. He limped to the finish line, his father coming onto the track to help him to get there.

It is hard not to empathise, even though you are watching by tube from thousands of miles away. The nature of track and field is such that it can suck you in emotionally.

The emotions can really get on edge when the athletes concerned are those in whom one has particular interest.

Ato Boldon's fast feet and glib speech made it impossible for people here to be passive onlookers once he stepped onto the track. In every World Championship or Olympic race in which he competed, Ato had thousands of people following his every rapid step. Things have not been the same since he left the stadium.
Yes, Richard Thompson has since emulated the Olympic 100 metres silver medal Boldon earned in Sydney in 2000 by getting one in Beijing three years ago.

And T&T have also earned 4x100 Olympic and World Champs silver and Worlds bronze in the 400 metres (Renny Quow) and 400 hurdles (Josanne Lucas) since Ato retired to the commentary booth.

As yet, though, no one has been able to take up the mantle of main medal hope.

Give it to Ato—whether or not he is your pick as the country's best-ever athlete—he has been the most consistent sprinter in local history.

The current bunch, as promising as some of their performances have been, will have much to do to get close to his record. And matching his charisma is a near impossibility.

Gold, however, produces sufficient sparkle of its own. The public will settle for just the wins.

But purely in terms of results, the past three years have been disappointing for T&T's male sprinters.

Thompson, who set the bar very high for himself in Beijing, is still not a consistent sub-ten man. He opened the current season with a windy 9.91 victory in Louisiana. But the "Torpedo" has not managed to earn gold since.

Instead, he has been forced to race behind a number of different opponents, mostly the fast men from Jamaica, his best since the 9.91 being 10.05 that got him fourth spot behind Asafa Powell (9.91), Nesta Carter (9.93) and Michael Frater (10.01) at the Aviva Grand Prix on Sunday.

Keston Bledman has had some brighter moments than the Torpedo in the 100m. He has dipped under 10 twice--a wind-assisted 9.99 and a legal 9.93 at a meet in Florida in May.

He also clocked 10.09 in Reims, France to finish behind Antiguan Daniel Bailey (10.05) and former Olympic champ Justin Gatlin (10.08). But to earn a medal in Daegu, even to get to the final, Bledman will have to up the pace even further.

The sprint relay looks T&T's best bet for a medal from the men at this stage, although a healthy Quow can never be discounted because of his sheer determination.

Jehue Gordon, whose 2011 preparations started late because of surgery last year, will take some time to get fully up to speed in the 400 hurdles.

At this point, therefore, Kelly-Ann Baptiste is the one who seems closest to taking up the baton from Ato.
She has been genuinely world-class this year. In four starts, Baptiste has won three times and two of those victories have come against quality opponents.

World No.1 Carmelita Jeter beat her at the Jamaica International Invitational in May, but Baptiste clocked 10.94 in finishing second. Since then, she has turned back Veronica Campbell-Brown and Kerron Stewart at the Areva meet this month (10.91) and has also won races in Reims (11.11) and Arkansas (11.56).

Baptiste only got to the semi-finals at the last World Championships in Berlin. In Daegu, though, she could have a much better time.

The next Ato Boldon may be taking on an entirely different form.
garth.wattley@trinidadexpress.com

AirMan

Re: Who will take up Boldon's baton?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
Boldon was the last World Champion we had at senior level...and that was way back in 1997...

The baton should have been passed long time...but wait ah almost forget our youth development is not good

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
Boldon was the last World Champion we had at senior level...and that was way back in 1997...

The baton should have been passed long time...but wait ah almost forget our youth development is not good

I think the problem is the transition from junior to senior. Same thing in Football.

It seems as if the sports that helped forged Trinidadian national identity, is on a decline in Trinidad. I sick of reading about colonial cricket in the sports section. Our sports section is starting to resemble the sports sections in Bim newspapers. lol.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
I find that headline could have been chosen better  :-[
BORN TO DO IT

Offline trace1906

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:53:26 AM »

Why specify 'youth'? Tell me which aspect of our development is good? Well it seems to me that the NAAA does not want that baton to be passed this year because for the life of me i can't understand why they are pressuring our overseas athletes, insisting that they HAVE to come home for Nationals. Did they consider Worlds in rescheduling? It is not their fault that Trinidad was not ready at the normal scheduled time for which they all had made themselves available! And if all but the ground was ready for June why d games ha to push back 2 months? Don't they care about our athletes' preparation? Do they understand what it takes to deliver at this level of competition? That as professionals, their entire year of track is carefully planned way in advance? Why throw the athletes off so close to Worlds for a nationals that IMO will not paint any new picture in terms of who can and should represent us?  ???

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:17:42 AM »

Why specify 'youth'? Tell me which aspect of our development is good? Well it seems to me that the NAAA does not want that baton to be passed this year because for the life of me i can't understand why they are pressuring our overseas athletes, insisting that they HAVE to come home for Nationals. Did they consider Worlds in rescheduling? It is not their fault that Trinidad was not ready at the normal scheduled time for which they all had made themselves available! And if all but the ground was ready for June why d games ha to push back 2 months? Don't they care about our athletes' preparation? Do they understand what it takes to deliver at this level of competition? That as professionals, their entire year of track is carefully planned way in advance? Why throw the athletes off so close to Worlds for a nationals that IMO will not paint any new picture in terms of who can and should represent us?  ???

Simple answer! Lack of brain cells & ego problems!

Same problems we've been having for umpteeth years with the fellas running the TTFF!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »

Same problems we've been having for umpteeth years with the fellas running the TTFF!

Cyah agree wit u if Track and Field get d kind of support that Football got over d yrs then u can compare. I have interacted wit Serrette, Baboolal dem fellas heart in d right place, cyah say d same bout Scamps etal.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »

Cyah agree wit u if Track and Field get d kind of support that Football got over d yrs then u can compare. I have interacted wit Serrette, Baboolal dem fellas heart in d right place, cyah say d same bout Scamps etal.

Ok cool. I stand corrected then but this latest scenario is most disappointing!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:57:26 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »

one ah dem men who does bother me about dey hero will gladly pick up yuh baton  lol  hahahahaha

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
I agree with this article a little, especially with the fact that no one has taken over as a consistent world beater like ato, but i disagree with the gloom and doom that it projects. 

Ato has been flying the flag high for many championships on his own for close to a decade, and i agree that he has set a high standard.  But in the Boldon era, who else was a "top level" athlete?

Since Ato has retired, we have more althletes that can challenge to be among the elite.  Remy Quow, Ronell Sorrillo, Richard Thompson, Ayanna Alexander, Kelly Ann Baptiste, Jehue Gordon, Keston Bledman and our mens and women 4x100m teams all have realistic expectations of making the finals of their event at the World Championships.

While none of them (barring kelly ann) can consider themselves genuine title contenders, who else made the finals of their pet events while ato was competing?

Correct me if i am wrong, but we have had representation in every world championship and olympic 100m and 4x100m final since Ato Boldon has retired. 

This article would have been more appropriate in the post Hasley Crawford era, before Boldon arrived.

ah loveit!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:

1]; } ?>