April 27, 2024, 10:20:24 PM

Author Topic: Looter: It was like ‘Christmas in July’  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Looter: It was like ‘Christmas in July’
« on: July 15, 2011, 05:42:14 AM »
Looter: It was like ‘Christmas in July’
By DARCEL CHOY Friday, July 15 2011

Residents who live in the vicinity of the Quality Cash and Carry supermarket, Tumpuna Road, Arima, continue to risk their lives and health as they loot grocery items left behind after a fire on Tuesday.

Early Wednesday morning, a massive crowd swarmed the supermarket and overpowered security guards to steal several items. Yesterday, a smaller crowd returned with the hope that police officers who were on the premises would give them the opportunity to take remaining items. One woman who admitted she took a number of items including soap and tuna on Tuesday, said it was her right to get more items.

“You know how much money I spent in this grocery, this was the only grocery I used, and now it is gone. I don’t see what is wrong with us trying to get something out of it. It is practically our right to go in that grocery and take groceries,” she said. She disclosed that on Wednesday night the police allowed several persons to enter the compound and take what they wanted.

“People were in here coming out with big bags and loading it into their cars, people make their name in here. We were in there with flashlights as it was very dark, taking whatever we could find and now they don’t want to let us back in. I do not think that is very fair of them,” she said. Another woman said she was able to get a ham which she baked and served to her family.

“It is like Christmas in July, and the ham tasted very good, I hope we could get some more stuff today,” she said.

As the group waited, a car drove onto the compound and two men were seen going into the burnt building and coming out with big bags and loading them into the vehicle. One woman after seeing this, begged a security guard to let her in, she then went through the bags that were brought out by the men, and took 11 tins of sardines, a bottle of bleach, two cans of insecticide, and a can of air freshener. When approached, one officer said they were giving some people a chance to take items, rather than allowing it to go to waste. When the owner Feeroz Khan was contacted he said it was up to the police officers to do their job, but admitted he was not concerned about the grocery items, but of the people’s safety.

“Those items are of no value to us, it is not something we could sell again, but that building is not safe, the floor and the walls could collapse at any minute.

The food they are taking are not safe, they have been exposed to a lot of heat, smoke and water which will make it not fit for human consumption, and people need to be aware of that,” he said. Fire officials admitted the building was unsafe and recommended that the building be demolished as soon as possible before anyone gets hurt.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.newsday.co.tt/crime_and_court/0,143908.html

this is the type on mentality that have our country in this state  :-[

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Looter: It was like ‘Christmas in July’
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »
What a degenerate culture. Civilization is elusive to us.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:38:06 AM »
Allyuh fellahs  a little too critical
That type of mentality would manifest itself in any country across any ethnic group on the planet

Poor people + limited access to 'free groceries' = human nature
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 07:59:27 AM »
That type of mentality would manifest itself in any country across any ethnic group on the planet

Nah man that is inexcusable behaviour. Going on what the article saying there were security gaurds. The proprietors have the right to protect their property including their whatever goods they could salvage. It can't be that somebody else misfortune gives license for a free-for-all. Dem eh hungry either, dey greedy and wotless.   

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:09:22 AM »
I eh defending their actions per se...seems like police let some people troo and brace odders

The 'wham to my turn?' mentality is not endemic to T&T
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »

Nah man that is inexcusable behaviour. Going on what the article saying there were security gaurds. The proprietors have the right to protect their property including their whatever goods they could salvage. It can't be that somebody else misfortune gives license for a free-for-all. Dem eh hungry either, dey greedy and wotless.   

I see both sides... I was in the same camp as you until I read where de owner say he eh care about the food items.  That being the case let the people have it... as long as they prepare to deal with the risks (building collapse, bad food) and consequences.  Bet if something happen half ah dem go bawl... "I doh know why they let people go in that unsafe building and eat all dat spoil food... guvahment need to do something about this!!"

I eh go lie doh... dem coming off real desperate.

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
Early Wednesday morning, a massive crowd swarmed the supermarket and overpowered security guards to steal several items. Yesterday, a smaller crowd returned with the hope that police officers who were on the premises would give them the opportunity to take remaining items. One woman who admitted she took a number of items including soap and tuna on Tuesday, said it was her right to get more items.

“You know how much money I spent in this grocery, this was the only grocery I used, and now it is gone. I don’t see what is wrong with us trying to get something out of it. It is practically our right to go in that grocery and take groceries,” she said. She disclosed that on Wednesday night the police allowed several persons to enter the compound and take what they wanted.

this thinking is what I really take issue with...
how could it be your "right" to enter someone else premises and take what don't belong to you???

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »

Bull shit...when the tsunami hit Japan there were lines of people patiently waiting for food and water...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:20 AM »
tell dem call meh naaaaaaame!!!!!!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »

Bull shit...when the tsunami hit Japan there were lines of people patiently waiting for food and water...

True, but there was no grocery store TO loot....or even acquire basic needs from. They lined up for water etc. that was trucked in from outside the affected area.

Hypothetically, if there was one grocery store left battered yet standing with a few goods inside after that tsunami. I'm of the opinion that those folks would not have stood in a queue to get at the items.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »
I remember when the US invaded Iraq and the Iraqis  ;D were looting the Americans in class said that the Iraqis were so uncivilized. That something like that could NEVER happen in the USA, then Katrina struck.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »
I remember when the US invaded Iraq and the Iraqis  ;D were looting the Americans in class said that the Iraqis were so uncivilized. That something like that could NEVER happen in the USA, then Katrina struck.

The Iraqis were looting the National Museum... with a clear goal of profiting by selling their cultural heirlooms.  I tend to agree that that's not very likely to happen in the US... unless the museum is located somewhere in the hood.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »

The Iraqis were looting the National Museum... with a clear goal of profiting by selling their cultural heirlooms.  I tend to agree that that's not very likely to happen in the US... unless the museum is located somewhere in the hood.

These were stores and grocery they were looting. The pics were of people carrying television and other things.....as far as I remember.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
These were stores and grocery they were looting. The pics were of people carrying television and other things.....as far as I remember.

Okay... I obviously can't say it didn't happen, I just remember them looting the museum, and I mihself thought that was kinda low and shameful since it was clear the intent was to then re-sell these items on the black market.

truetrini

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 04:15:35 AM »
When Saddam fell, the Iraqi people looted everything they could get their hands on.  Instructions to the troops were to leave them alone.  Rumsfeld said "things happen."

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
Allyuh comparing Tsunami, Japan Earthquake and Katrina to a bun down grocery store in Arima???

steups... I agree with the below:

degenerate
whey boy!

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »

I tend to disagree. In a country where money is king this can easily happen and you  never know how people will react when they are desperate. The difference is ...in the USA there is recourse. It you get caught stealing from the museum.....know that Uncle Sam coming for his pound of flesh.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »

You believe that .Those items where taken by way more powerful ppl .Items belonging to Baal and the whore of babylon her self.Some even beleive that the whole war was started just to get back those said items !
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:48:53 PM by Quags »

1]; } ?>