April 28, 2024, 08:33:14 PM

Author Topic: Rambachan gets doctorate from failed University  (Read 2195 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rambachan gets doctorate from failed University
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Communications Surujrattan Rambachan has received a Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Business Administration by distance education from an institution incorporated in Hawaii and closed down by the US authorities seven years ago. Rambachan told the Sunday Guardian yesterday that he received the doctorate from Pacific Southern University (PSU) in 1989, which would have been when he was serving as T&T’s Ambassador to Brazil. Recently, Rambachan was entrusted with disseminating information to the nation on matters of public interest but has failed to clear the air on his PhD qualification. PSU, which was operating as an unaccredited institution from 1995, was shut down by Hawaiian authorities in April 7, 2004. In a High Court judgement between the state of Hawaii and PSU, the institution was closed for operating an unaccredited degree granting institution in or from the State of Hawaii or under the ostensible authority of the laws of the State of Hawaii.  An excerpt from the judgement states: “All defendants immediately cease conducting any and all business activities in the state of Hawaii, including the operation of any unaccredited degree granting institution.” Although the institution was incorporated in Hawaii, PSU was based in the state of California. The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs revealed that civil penalties under the judgement were repaid in full.

Students warned against registering
The mill is among several unaccredited higher learning institutions listed on a number of Web sites—
search Pacific Southern University-http://hawaii.gov/dcca/ocp/udgi/lawsuits/psu and http://www.degreeinfo.com/distance-learningdiscussions/24945—pacific-southern warning students against registering. It is alleged that thousands of people yearning to attain status fork out thousands of dollars in return for flashy accolades. Rambachan’s Curriculum Vitae posted on Facebook had failed to disclose where he attained his PhD, only stating it was done via distance education. Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley had first raised the issue about the minister’s qualification, calling on the Prime Minister to clear the air. Rambachan, however, confirmed to Sunday Guardian yesterday that he attained his PhD from PSU.

First class honours at UWI
Investigations by Sunday Guardian revealed that nine years after Rambachan received First Class Honours with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Management Studies, he successfully went on to pursue his Masters in Business Administration at the University of Western Ontario, Canada.  It was on his return from Canada that Rambachan, who has been described by his peers as “an exceptional student”, registered in 1980 to pursue his PhD at UWI. “Whenever we needed assistance we would go to him to help us,” one of his peers revealed yesterday. “His first and second degrees are solid, he earned First Class Honours,” he recalled. Further probing revealed that at the time, now head of the Integrity Commission Eric St Cyr, a then research officer at the Institute of Social and Economic Research at the UWI was Rambachan’s supervisor when he registered to pursue his PhD. The Commission chairman confirmed to Sunday Guardian that he was appointed to supervise Rambachan but refused to divulge why he never received his doctorate.  Pressed further as to why Rambachan abandoned pursuing his PhD, the Integrity Commission head replied only: “That’s a long time ago. I was his supervisor once, and Dr Deosaran then supervised him. Dr Deosaran took over supervision when I left the university. There are three examiners on a doctoral thesis. It was not completed up to when I left the university; he had not completed the work for the degree up to the time I ceased being his supervisor. One of the examiners was Prof Wineridge; I cannot recall the names of the others.” Investigations further revealed that St Cyr retired from the UWI in 1992. 

Rambachan tells a different story
However, Rambachan tells a different story of his 400 plus page thesis disappearing while under the watch of a Sri Lankan professor and found weeks later on the third floor of the library of the university. However, while registered as pursuing a doctorate at UWI in 1987, Rambachan opted to accept the diplomatic posting of Ambassador to Brazil under the then National Alliance for Reconstruction administration. Upon his return from Brazil in 1990, Rambachan began displaying a booster credit to his curriculum vitae—a PhD in Business Administration from distance education. However, unlike his Cabinet colleague Dr Roodal Moonilal who proudly displays his exemplary credentials after receiving an historic PhD cum laude distinction in Development Studies from the Government of the Netherlands Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, details surrounding Rambachan’s PhD are questionable. Whether Rambachan is offering consultancy services, or delivering addresses at functions, his portfolio has stuck to a particular pattern. Brochures, programmes, even his résumé have failed to list the institution from which Rambachan attained his PhD—only stating by distance education. However, his other academic achievements are listed in detail.

Rowley witch-hunts?
And, the very outspoken Rambachan, has further failed to quell widespread public speculation and to cap the Opposition’s theories regarding the authenticity of his PhD as he continuously dodges revealing the institution that bestowed the prestigious honour. Instead of clearing the air on the issue, Rambachan opted to shy away from it. In fact, confidential notes obtained by Sunday Guardian that had been sent to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar briefing her on how to respond to various news headlines, included a statement not divulging the institution where Rambachan attained his PhD.  In an e-mail sent by the ministry’s parliamentary secretary Nicole Dyer-Griffith, who works under Rambachan, the PM was advised to respond to the allegations as follows: “Surely there are other issues on our national landscape to engage our attention, other than Dr Rowley’s never ceasing witch-hunt theories.

Dr Rowley: It’s a dangerous trend
Commenting on the issue, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley described the outcome as “dangerous.”
“A trend is developing in this country where people wanting to misrepresent their qualifications. It is a dangerous thing because it could result in people being put in positions on the understanding that they have the training and the skills that go with those qualifications. In some instances the consequences could be dire.”

Rambachan responds

Q: In light of calls for you to clear the air on your PhD certification you acquired via distance learning, could you say at what university you attained the qualification?
A: 1989. Pacific Southern University which was approved by the California department of post secondary education and I graduated by presenting a thesis on Motivation which I defended before a panel of professors in California.

Sir, could you say who supervised you?
It was supervised by the university. I cannot remember the professor right now. 

Why did you opt to stop pursuing your PhD at UWI after doing quite a lot of research?
I did a lot of research there after I lost elections in 1981. I lost my job at UWI, then I went back to try and pursue my PhD at UWI and they were getting difficulty to get a professor to supervise the thesis.
There was a professor (name called) from Sri Lanka who was head of the department and they lost my thesis. Finally, some months later they found the second volume of the thesis—because it was almost about 400 and some pages—on the third floor of the library among books. You can verify a lot of this from Dr Ramesh Deosaran. And so I dropped it, then I picked up back the thesis and I started to work again because my research was done at Neal and Massy Automotive industries then.

What was your thesis at this point?
New theory linking work as leisure.

Was Prof Deosaran your supervisor?
No, he was not my supervisor, but I was trying to get him and I discussed with him supervising it and then I just dropped it.

According to UWI records your thesis did not meet the criteria, at which point Dr St Cyr was your supervisor. Is this true?
Well, I never got to the point of defending the thesis which was Motivation, the link between work and leisure.

Rambachan’s qualifications

Personal Information Affiliation: UNC-A

Dr Surujrattan Rambachan is an Organisational Management Development Consultant by profession. He holds a First Class Honours Degree from the University of the West Indies, as well as an MBA from the University of Western Ontario, Canada and a DBA by Distance Education. Dr Rambachan also holds a Certificate in Export Planning and in Alternative Dispute Resolution. He is a Certified Trainer in the Models for Management Programme of Teleometrics International. In addition to the above, Dr Rambachan was the Academic Consultant to Roytec and a Consultant to the Royal Bank of Trinidad and Tobago. Dr Rambachan also functioned as a Management and Leadership Development Consultant to the Arthur Lok Jack School of Business, formerly the UWI-IOB.

Positions held
• Mayor of the Borough of Chaguanas 2003-2009
•Minister in the Ministry of Industry, Enterprise 3 April, 1990—19 November, 1991
•Ambassador to Brazil 1987-1990 (Info courtesy Facebook)

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rambachan gets doctorate from failed University
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »

??? ???
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »
Hm.

Thing is...he got his PhD in 1989.
The university was shut down in 1995.

Just something to consider. It might have been "accredited" when he did his study there.

But also consider this from 1:23
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDp0kep1u84&amp;feature=player_embedded#at=80" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jDp0kep1u84&amp;feature=player_embedded#at=80</a>
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »

??? ???

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Eleanor Wint supervise my research 4 meh 1st degree in 1992 and Kwame Charles for meh M<BA in 2002 and dem was real PHd. Yuh doh 4get dem people because dem does determine yuh future what grade yuh get etc etc etc.

Not 2 mention Wint take a pilgrimidge to Ethipio in d middle of d dramma and could not get a flight bck. u tink I go 4get dat? Is like Sarah cyah answering what newspaper she does read.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:21:10 AM »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
I really don't see what the big deal is.  Since he had a professor supervising his PhD via distance learning it's entirely plausible that he wouldn't remember the specific name of the Professor... especially since it was a diploma mill.  Not knowing any better he probably thought it was more legit than it was... plenty students does get ketch by dem diploma mills... especially today with the internet.  Besides, as Bourbon say... it very well could have been accredited back then.  Note it wasn't shut down for reasons related to its academic standards/accreditation, but for operating in HI while actually being based in CA.

As for the degree... unless the position he's serving in requires a PhD... or he has served in a position which required a PhD... and the PhD is bogus then this is all a tempest in a teapot.  They shouldn't focus on whether the school was shut down or not, but whether it was properly accredited when it granted the degree.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12608083
1 March 2011
That situation in Germany is a red-herring and really has no relation to Rambachan's situation...  Guttenberg committed fraud in obtaining his credentials... he had a right to step down or be fired.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:29:32 AM by Bakes »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »
I really don't see what the big deal is.  Since he had a professor supervising his PhD via distance learningit's entirely plausible that he wouldn't remember the specific name of the Professor ... especially since it was a diploma mill.  Not knowing any better he probably thought it was more legit than it was... plenty students does get ketch by dem diploma mills... especially today with the internet.  Besides, as Bourbon say... it very well could have been accredited back then.  Note it wasn't shut down for reasons related to its academic standards/accreditation, but for operating in HI while actually being based in CA.

As for the degree... unless the position he's serving in requires a PhD... or he has served in a position which required a PhD... and the PhD is bogus then this is all a tempest in a teapot.  They shouldn't focus on whether the school was shut down or not, but whether it was properly accredited when it granted the degree.

Tough to believe, even with distance learning.  Your advisor is intimately involved in not only aiding in defining and directing your thesis, but it's modification, and your eventual defense.  Maybe distance learning changes some of that but I can't see it...to be partially facetious, it's sort of like being married for 4-6 years, living apart from your spouse and forgetting who the heck it was you were married to years after the divorce  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »
Tough to believe, even with distance learning.  Your advisor is intimately involved in not only aiding in defining and directing your thesis, but it's modification, and your eventual defense.  Maybe distance learning changes some of that but I can't see it...to be partially facetious, it's sort of like being married for 4-6 years, living apart from your spouse and forgetting who the heck it was you were married to years after the divorce  ;D

I don't think it's tough to believe at all, never did the distance learning thing... but I'm sure any reputable institution would ensure that their students are being closely monitored and supervised.  But of course the "reputable institution"  part is the rub, isn't it?  This is an obvious diploma mill we talking about here... and practices from 22 years ago.  Maybe he was closely monitored and only pretending he cyah remember the professor name... but given the totality of the circumstances I don't have a hard time believing him.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
I really don't see what the big deal is.  Since he had a professor supervising his PhD via distance learning it's entirely plausible that he wouldn't remember the specific name of the Professor... especially since it was a diploma mill.  Not knowing any better he probably thought it was more legit than it was... plenty students does get ketch by dem diploma mills... especially today with the internet.  Besides, as Bourbon say... it very well could have been accredited back then.  Note it wasn't shut down for reasons related to its academic standards/accreditation, but for operating in HI while actually being based in CA.

Agree completely.

1. His story sounds plausible, people do forget stuff, this was over 20 years ago.

2. The uni may have been valid back then. And it was 1989 - no internet to double and triple check everything.

3. His PhD seems unnecessary for his job and thus irrelevant anyway

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
FACT...that was never a real University.

Fact"  It was never accredited

Fact:  it is a degree mill that offered degrees through "work experience."

Fact"  Anyone who did a real PhD will tell you the name of their adviser....even through distance learning.

Fact:   That mill was shut down in Hawaii and it never had ONE employee in Hawaii...it said it was a California school yet its head office was in Turks and Caicos and Malaysia.

Fact;  they were sued by Hawaii and anyone who received a diploma from there was paid 1000.00 when they returned their fake diploma.

http://hawaii.gov/dcca/ocp/udgi/lawsuits/so_pac_u

http://hawaii.gov/dcca/ocp/udgi/lawsuits/PSU

"7 . Defendants shall immediately cease conducting any and all business
activities in the state of Hawaii, including the operation of any unaccredited degree granting institution. Defendants further agree that they shall not claim to operate any unaccredited degree granting institution under the color or authority of the laws of the State of Hawaii. Upon entry of this judgment, Defendants shall take whatever steps are necessary to immediately voluntarily dissolve Southern Pacific University, Inc. as provided for in Hawaii Rev. Stat. Chapter 415."

Defendant SPU is not now and never has been accredited by a
recognized accrediting agency or association recognized by the United States Secretary of Education."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:16:28 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 03:33:48 AM »

Agree completely.

1. His story sounds plausible, people do forget stuff, this was over 20 years ago.

2. The uni may have been valid back then. And it was 1989 - no internet to double and triple check everything.

3. His PhD seems unnecessary for his job and thus irrelevant anyway

His job does not require a PhD but....he has been presenting himself as a PhD for the past 30 years. He is a fraud and should be ridiculed as such. From his profile he is obviously very proud of his academic achievements

It is unlikely that the University was ever accredited. Rambachan knows as much that is why he never gave details of his "PhD".

There is no way he could have been unaware that this was not a real degree. After fighting up for almost 10 years and not finishing a PhD he would know that a place that gives you a degree without any research, within the span of 3 years, is a fraud. He was just happy to go along with it for the pips of putting Dr. before his name.

It also seems that he just represented his thesis on Motivation to this new course of study. Personally I doubt he even presented a thesis and just used the title but either way that is not original research and no real school, or real advisor would accept it.

Also it seems he has a thesis management problem. For some reason he submit his thesis, without making a copy, to the Sri Lankan professor...surprise it gets lost.

Now, after earning his PhD, he obviously never kept a copy otherwise he could read it and see who his advisor was.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 06:17:06 AM »
Now, after earning his PhD, he obviously never kept a copy otherwise he could read it and see who his advisor was.
:rotfl:  :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
:rotfl:  :beermug:

:rotfl: LEAVE D FELLA WIT HE PERSONAL HYGIENE DEGREE

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »

lol, I didnt realise that was written on it  :beermug:  :rotfl:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »

His job does not require a PhD but....he has been presenting himself as a PhD for the past 30 years. He is a fraud and should be ridiculed as such. From his profile he is obviously very proud of his academic achievements

It is unlikely that the University was ever accredited. Rambachan knows as much that is why he never gave details of his "PhD".

There is no way he could have been unaware that this was not a real degree. After fighting up for almost 10 years and not finishing a PhD he would know that a place that gives you a degree without any research, within the span of 3 years, is a fraud. He was just happy to go along with it for the pips of putting Dr. before his name.

It also seems that he just represented his thesis on Motivation to this new course of study. Personally I doubt he even presented a thesis and just used the title but either way that is not original research and no real school, or real advisor would accept it.

Also it seems he has a thesis management problem. For some reason he submit his thesis, without making a copy, to the Sri Lankan professor...surprise it gets lost.

Funny stuff
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>