March 28, 2024, 04:25:32 AM

Author Topic: TTFF business must be placed in the open  (Read 8583 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFF business must be placed in the open
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:53:37 PM »
By Lincoln Phillips (T&T Guardian)

Taking T&T football forward - Part 2

When asked what would I do if given the opportunity to make policy for the TTFF, the first thing I say is to take the business of the TTFF out into the open. A clearly defined constitution would be written and federation matters should be discussed under the plain sight of anyone who wishes to view the proceedings. Agendas and minutes of board meetings would be posted on the TTFF website and meetings themselves would be streamed online. At the same time, the first order of external business would be to pay the 2006 World Cup and 2010 Digicel Cup players and in conjunction with correcting that injustice, the ledger of the TTFF should become public record complete with clearly defined revenue streams and expenditures.

Such should be among the first moves to help lift the veil of secrecy and lack of accountability that has become an all too familiar trademark of the TTFF and its more senior policy makers. Most important, I would like to see a new ethos that embraces good governance over cultivation of power. Once establishing a firm, transparent, and efficient business model, attention should be turned to implementing a technical programme that reaches out to other stakeholders of football such as the professional clubs, the SSFL, and government. Coaching development protocols that seek to promote development on the grassroots level as well as on the elite level should be put forth and supported within the first year of a new federation regime. Extensive player identification programme networks to scout and discover any player eligible to represent T&T must also be a part of a player development programme that includes a national player academy as the centerpiece of its technical development system.

Finally, it would do our football well to establish T&T as a destination point for international club teams for exhibition matches and training camps so that our local players will be exposed to the best possible level of competition. All of these endeavours must be clearly presented to the public through digital and traditional media means. It would also do the federation well to help provide PFL and Super League franchises; including the players, marketing assistance to help create reasons why the public should come and support local football. Whether establishing relationships with communities located within close proximity to their club or taking better care to cultivate and craft their own skills, the local professional footballer must realise they are their own and the league’s best salesmen. For the most part this does not exist and match attendances reflect the public indifference.

None of this can be accomplished without a clear mandate from a public that demands a lot from its leaders as well as themselves. Once such a social compact is created, the imbalance that currently exists within our football will soon be fixed. However, until leaders and institutions are continuously held accountable to uphold their end of the bargain, the public will only have themselves to blame and we may be forever relegated to the abyss of lowered expectations when the world hears our name. That would be a shame because of what we have shown we can do.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:59:05 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: TTFF business must be placed in the open
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »
:thumbsup:

Ah like this!

Like LP just read Kicker's critical post and asked Tallman to post this or what?  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
Just as I thought!  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
I understand this was part of the same article that was printed earlier. The Guardian decided to publish it in two parts. But it is funny how it seemed to address Kicker's complaints.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
I understand this was part of the same article that was printed earlier. The Guardian decided to publish it in two parts. But it is funny how it seemed to address Kicker's complaints.

Kicker jumped the gun but this part 2 of LP's article simply kicks Kicker's initial complaints to the curb!!   :devil:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »
By Lincoln Phillips (T&T Guardian)

Taking T&T football forward - Part 2

None of this can be accomplished without a clear mandate from a public that demands a lot from its leaders as well as themselves. Once such a social compact is created, the imbalance that currently exists within our football will soon be fixed. However, until leaders and institutions are continuously held accountable to uphold their end of the bargain, the public will only have themselves to blame and we may be forever relegated to the abyss of lowered expectations when the world hears our name. That would be a shame because of what we have shown we can do.

This is a cultural problem. We probably need a "MLK" type leader to accomplish this. But he is spot on.

Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
I don't believe TTFF board meetings should be open to the public, however, the minutes should be available for view. Certainly, accounts should be published yearly and there should be an annual public inquiry hosted by the Minister of Sport to question the financial and philisophical decisions made.

The rest makes sense to me. We have 4 seperate entities running football: TTFF, Pro League, Super League and schools. On TTFF board there should be an appointed liaison for all 3 league systems.

We need to consolidate our football and streamline the path from schools to professionalism.

Crazy thing is, the systems in place, it just needs people under the ages of 80 to streamline it. You have a strong school system. You have a competent semi professional league. You have a potentially good professional league. Just stop them working seperately. Stop promoting yourselves and start to promote T&T football as one entity. You also need a TTFF board member responsible for facilities and maintenence. Then you could think about bringing over foreign club teams. Finally you need a TTFF marketing/business manager to make dollars & cents decisions based on making a profit and sustainability, who would also work with the leagues to income/sponsorship could trickle down.

So you would create a package where, say, BP would be main sponsor of the National Team, sponsor the FA Cup and a School trophy at a cost of, say $2 million per year. Then Digicel would be official T&T communications provider, sponsor Pro League, sponsor Super League cup and maybe the National Schools Academy (which would be the base for the U15's, U17's, U19's) This would also have a ProLeague/Super League draft each year a la NFL)

And you just continue to create packages for sponsors that benefit all tiers including girls soccer. A uniform provider, soft drinks provider (companies like SM Jaleel could attach a different brand to each tier, such as a power drink to the seniors, right down to Chubbys for the under 9's)

This can be done. But the old russian/FIFA style of old man governance must be replaced by fresh younger talent and supported initially by govt.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:06:35 PM »
I don't believe TTFF board meetings should be open to the public, however, the minutes should be available for view. Certainly, accounts should be published yearly and there should be an annual public inquiry hosted by the Minister of Sport to question the financial and philisophical decisions made.

The rest makes sense to me. We have 4 seperate entities running football: TTFF, Pro League, Super League and schools. On TTFF board there should be an appointed liaison for all 3 league systems.

We need to consolidate our football and streamline the path from schools to professionalism.

Crazy thing is, the systems in place, it just needs people under the ages of 80 to streamline it. You have a strong school system. You have a competent semi professional league. You have a potentially good professional league. Just stop them working seperately. Stop promoting yourselves and start to promote T&T football as one entity. You also need a TTFF board member responsible for facilities and maintenence. Then you could think about bringing over foreign club teams. Finally you need a TTFF marketing/business manager to make dollars & cents decisions based on making a profit and sustainability, who would also work with the leagues to income/sponsorship could trickle down.

So you would create a package where, say, BP would be main sponsor of the National Team, sponsor the FA Cup and a School trophy at a cost of, say $2 million per year. Then Digicel would be official T&T communications provider, sponsor Pro League, sponsor Super League cup and maybe the National Schools Academy (which would be the base for the U15's, U17's, U19's) This would also have a ProLeague/Super League draft each year a la NFL)

And you just continue to create packages for sponsors that benefit all tiers including girls soccer. A uniform provider, soft drinks provider (companies like SM Jaleel could attach a different brand to each tier, such as a power drink to the seniors, right down to Chubbys for the under 9's)

This can be done. But the old russian/FIFA style of old man governance must be replaced by fresh younger talent and supported initially by govt.

Niceness!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
Kicker jumped the gun but this part 2 of LP's article simply kicks Kicker's initial complaints to the curb!!   :devil:

Not really eh but arrite arrite haha.. he startin' tuh talk tuh meh lol...Keep it coming  ;D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:58:49 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »

Yuh have it cork soldyah
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:06 PM »
All I know is that TTFF should have term limits. 2 four year term and out.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »
Lincoln is suggesting a public company approach to the TTFF... Idealistic I suppose...Also very costly...Football governance and development and how it's intertwined with everything else pertaining to T&T's social construct is an area that I'm very passionate about. I think yuh actually have to peel the onion back a layer (or a few layers) deeper than what Lincoln is talking about here... I think there's a large disconnect between what we want/expect from our governing authorities, and what is most reasonable to expect given the society we're dealing with...It's tough to propose model solutions to an audience that doesn't appreciate the value of the model, and probably isn't equipped to sustain it....which is why I hinted in my rant in the other thread, that we need a reform on a greater level... one that will steer us in the direction of becoming a 1st class nation...and then our football will benefit from that....The beauty of it is that I think they will work hand in hand so that one doesn't have to be achieved in absolute before the other, and each can help to propel the other.  

A common perspective that the shortcomings of our football are reflective of the shortcomings in our society, but then when we come to address football issues, we talk about things that for the most part pertain directly to football- Yuh can't have it both ways...which is why I said earlier that it's easy to be visionary in the diagnosis and myopic in the treatment.

Keep this discussion going...      

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
Lincoln is suggesting a public company approach to the TTFF... Idealistic I suppose...Also very costly...Football governance and development and how it's intertwined with everything else pertaining to T&T's social construct is an area that I'm very passionate about. I think yuh actually have to peel the onion back a layer (or a few layers) deeper than what Lincoln is talking about here... I think there's a large disconnect between what we want/expect from our governing authorities, and what is most reasonable to expect given the society we're dealing with...It's tough to propose model solutions to an audience that doesn't appreciate the value of the model, and probably isn't equipped to sustain it....which is why I hinted in my rant in the other thread, that we need a reform on a greater level... one that will steer us in the direction of becoming a 1st class nation...and then our football will benefit from that....The beauty of it is that I think they will work hand in hand so that one doesn't have to be achieved in absolute before the other, and each can help to propel the other.  

A common perspective that the shortcomings of our football are reflective of the shortcomings in our society, but then when we come to address football issues, we talk about things that for the most part pertain directly to football- Yuh can't have it both ways...which is why I said earlier that it's easy to be visionary in the diagnosis and myopic in the treatment.

I think the public model in a mold of Barcelona can be an interesting approach to consider for a restructured TTFF. In many ways, it may actually appeal to non-locals especially if the prospectus is trustworthy. More Than A National Passion can be our version of Mas Que Un Club.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »

Without the suggested transparency, given the history of the TTFA/TTFF what else?  How do you garner support and confidence and corporate input without such a stance?

IT appears that you are now pointing out our character flaws as a society..lol

Do you believe that sport can be a catalyst for change in a society?  Do you believe that sport can impact positively on young people?

You want football to benefit from a change in our society as a whole, yet you are prepared to distance yourself from the impact football can have on our society?

Lincoln started the letter by stating he was pointing out the way to move/propel football in T&T forward.   He stated that football organization is a microcosm of our society.   You demand peeling the onion layers off, and delving deeper...now you starting to sound philosophical...and waxing cliches

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:58:14 AM »
Phillips get mouth now. All the time the man use to run and hide in my back office.

He writing more articles than he did when he was Technical Director.

I want Lincoln to open his books first, compare the 7 years he worked here as TD, took tax payers money and see if it equals to the amount of work he did for it. Did he earn it, I doubt he did.

He was part of my regime, then he smelt the rat and retired early before getting the axe and now he running off his mouth. All the time he was silent like a mouse.

Tell Lincoln to justify his salary vs his work he did here.

Jack will raise again !!!
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 06:23:46 AM »
Phillips get mouth now. All the time the man use to run and hide in my back office.

He writing more articles than he did when he was Technical Director.

I want Lincoln to open his books first, compare the 7 years he worked here as TD, took tax payers money and see if it equals to the amount of work he did for it. Did he earn it, I doubt he did.

He was part of my regime, then he smelt the rat and retired early before getting the axe and now he running off his mouth. All the time he was silent like a mouse.

Tell Lincoln to justify his salary vs his work he did here.

Jack will raise again !!!

First of all, you are talking unmitigated ta-ta.  Lincoln never retired nor did he resign.  His contract with the TTFF was not renewed based on the so-called facts that there was no funding to renew his contract!

Go back into your corner yuh blasted asswipe.

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 06:40:20 AM »
First of all, you are talking unmitigated ta-ta.  Lincoln never retired nor did he resign.  His contract with the TTFF was not renewed based on the so-called facts that there was no funding to renew his contract!

I am sorry if I offended you Lincoln defender.

But Sportt was paying Lincoln not the TTFF, they are not broke, get your facts straight, you are talking none sense and words are flowing out your ass like water from a stand pipe.

Lincoln was not going to be offered a renewed contract and knew that. He saw out his contract and then left for the US.

I hear Lincoln taking credit for T&T teams qualifying for the World Cup, youth and senior I wonder if he will take credit for the team failure too.

Jack will raise again !!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:45:36 AM by Jack Horner »
Jack Warner will rise again and the world will beg him him to return and he will say "NO".............

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 06:48:25 AM »

But Sportt was paying Lincoln not the TTFF, they are not broke, get your facts straight, you are talking none sense and words are flowing out your ass like water from a stand pipe.

Lincoln was not going to be offered a renewed contract and knew that. He saw out his contract and then left for the US.

I hear Lincoln taking credit for T&T teams qualifying for the World Cup, youth and senior I wonder if he will take credit for the team failure too.

You still talking mess, because if the TTFF eh paying him why must he open his book before the TTFF. He have nothing for the TTFF because his employers were the government. His reviews must/should fall under the MoS, not the tiefing TTFF.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 06:59:26 AM »

Ah thought yuh say he "smelt the rat and retired early before getting the axe"?  If yuh going to talk shit then at least try yuh best to keep yuh story straight.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
Not only that..THE CONTRACT Lincoln signed was with the TTFF and lets get the facts straight..the TTFF ALWAYS paid Lincoln Phillips...always.

The SPORTT gave the TTFF a development fund and out of that the TTFF paid Phllips.

Every check he ever got wa from the TTFF.

Now that YOU have the facts go back in yuh hole.

They DID not renew his contract..he eh leave, he eh resign nutten....

Jack like Crix...he eh rising he fall flat.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:25:54 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:28:04 AM »
Without the suggested transparency, given the history of the TTFA/TTFF what else?  How do you garner support and confidence and corporate input without such a stance?

Do you believe that sport can be a catalyst for change in a society?  Do you believe that sport can impact positively on young people?

You want football to benefit from a change in our society as a whole, yet you are prepared to distance yourself from the impact football can have on our society?

Lincoln started the letter by stating he was pointing out the way to move/propel football in T&T forward.   He stated that football organization is a microcosm of our society.   You demand peeling the onion layers off, and delving deeper...now you starting to sound philosophical...and waxing cliches

What philosophical cliches I waxin' partner? I don't think you read me carefully - never once did deny societal flaws...and the answer to all 3 of your questions is yes (IMO)... and if you check what I wrote in the other thread I said that the two go hand in hand and can propel eachother.... Again I not disagreeing with what he's saying.  I think the question (and where there can be differing views) is where is the best starting point... I like the idea of the public model- just saying it's costly...and idealistic given the parties involved...like it or not, that's the reality.  What's the point in discussing stuff like this if we can't honestly acknolwedge the challenges. I'm just adding my thoughts to it- I think your high regard for LP making yuh a lil defensive.  You're addressing my post as if I'm claiming to have all the answers...If I doh just nod my head and applaud then everything I say is subject to some kinda berating?   What's the point of a discussion....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:34:07 AM by kicker »

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »

What philosophical cliches I waxin' partner? Again I not disagreeing with what he's saying. I like the idea of the public model- just saying it's costly...and idealistic given the parties involved...like it or not, that's the reality.  What's the point in discussing stuff like this if we can't honestly acknolwedge the challenges. I'm just adding my thoughts to it- I think your high regard for LP making yuh a lil defensive.  You're addressing my post as if I'm claiming to have all the answers...If I doh just nod my head and applaud then everything I say is subject to some kinda berating?   What's the point of a discussion....

lol I was merely pointing out the inconsistencies of your comments..no defense here.  Lincoln is a big man if he so desires he can come here and defend himself..I..I am well aware that you have agreed with Lincoln, just wondering why you saying the same thing and yet say is cliches and philosophical this and that...dais all

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
TC,
     I still don't see your point. He was paid by TTFF thru SPORTT. OK. TTFF got tax payers money to pay him. Because of LP name and stature the TTFF would not try to short change him. But the fact is LP could not get  his job done effectively because he was kept at arms length by the TTFF head honcho. It appears jack did not care either way. LP salary not coming from his pocket. It was gov't money. Now he in gov't he could dictate the terms. But all this is speculation on our part. Only jack and LP know the real story.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 07:39:37 AM »

lol I was merely pointing out the inconsistencies of your comments..no defense here.  Lincoln is a big man if he so desires he can come here and defend himself..I..I am well aware that you have agreed with Lincoln, just wondering why you saying the same thing and yet say is cliches and philosophical this and that...dais all

Not inconsistency - just differ in where we think the ideal starting point is.  I never opposed transparency of the TTFF, and I never suggested that achieving it wouldn't have a positive effect on the bigger picture.  I just pointed out an obvious challenge and suggested that maybe the root of problems such as a lack of transparency lies deeper in our societal flaws, and hence may require addressing on a level beneath just changing the by-laws of the organization.  

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:07 AM »

Not inconsistency - just differ in where we think the ideal starting point is.  I never opposed transparency of the TTFF, and I never suggested that achieving it wouldn't have a positive effect on the bigger picture.  I just pointed out an obvious challenge and suggested that maybe the root of problems such as a lack of transparency lies deeper in our societal flaws, and hence may require addressing on a level beneath just changing the by-laws of the organization.  

I was referring to your comments that we have societal flaws and before that was critical of Lincoln for suggesting the same, saying you have heard it all before etc.  That is my point

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 07:43:51 AM »
TC,
     I still don't see your point. He was paid by TTFF thru SPORTT. OK. TTFF got tax payers money to pay him. Because of LP name and stature the TTFF would not try to short change him. But the fact is LP could not get  his job done effectively because he was kept at arms length by the TTFF head honcho. It appears jack did not care either way. LP salary not coming from his pocket. It was gov't money. Now he in gov't he could dictate the terms. But all this is speculation on our part. Only jack and LP know the real story.

What is your point?   The TTFF hired Lincoln, and however they got funded THEY paid him!  He was never an employee of the GORT...never.  Always a TTFF employee....  For all the years the TTFF has been in operation how did they fund their programs?  Yuh feel is not the T&T Government?

The fact is and the point is, saying he was paid by the government is false!

Lincoln could not sue the Government for failure to default on his pay check if he did not get paid for months etc.   His contract was with the TTFF and they were his employees and they paid him..this is such a simple concept.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:45:51 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
referring to your comments that we have societal flaws and before that was critical of Lincoln for suggesting the same, saying you have heard it all before etc.  That is my point

Again - I didn't criticize him for suggesting it.  I criticized what he said for what I found was a lack of substance behind suggesting it.  Yes we know our society is flawed... If yuh put the full stop after that and move on, then that's not enough IMO. i.e. let's actually look into some of these flaws and draw some connections between them and the shortcomings in our football administration.  That's when I gave some examples off the top of my head of areas where we fall short as a nation - some directly related to football, most not...let's put them out there and start connecting the dots...short of that we just recycling the broad sweeping criticisms of T&T e.g. we too wotless, we too shortsighted, we have a fete mentality etc...

truetrini

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
referring to your comments that we have societal flaws and before that was critical of Lincoln for suggesting the same, saying you have heard it all before etc.  That is my point

Again - I didn't criticize him for suggesting it.  I criticized what he said for what I found was a lack of substance behind suggesting it.  Yes we know our society is flawed... If yuh put the full stop after that and move on, then that's not enough IMO. i.e. let's actually look into some of these flaws and draw some connections between them and the shortcomings in our football administration.  That's when I gave some examples off the top of my head of areas where we fall short as a nation - some directly related to football, most not...let's put them out there and start connecting the dots...short of that we just recycling the broad sweeping criticisms of T&T e.g. we too wotless, we too shortsighted, we have a fete mentality etc...

Even if I agree with what you said you came back and repeated what he said....???

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »
Even if I agree with what you said you came back and repeated what he said....???

If you think so then fine, I disagree.  I've said a few times that I don't disagree with his overall premise - so naturally I would echo (some of) his sentiments.  Nothing that I wrote was intended to be a substitute or an improvement on what LP wrote....just posting off the cuff and giving some examples of things I would like to hear from someone go into some kind of detail on..... someone who appears to want to inspire some kind of consciousness. Maybe we have a disconnect because you don't seem to be interpreting my posts correctly, and I don't really understand your fixation.  I am not the topic of discussion here. 

Offline Jack Horner

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 09:09:59 AM »
I don't lie, the TTFF/Sportt was not going to renew Lincoln contract, he had no choice in the matter.

Jack will raise again !!!!!!!!

1]; } ?>