April 27, 2024, 08:44:39 AM

Author Topic: 2011 US College season thread  (Read 4446 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
2011 US College season thread
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:00:41 PM »
2010 thread here: http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=50824.0

University of Montevallo
Montevallo announces nine men’s soccer signees

The University of Montevallo men’s soccer team has announced the signing of nine recruits for the upcoming 2011 season.

The group includes three forwards, four midfielders, one defender and a goalkeeper hailing from England, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, Ireland and the United States. Seven are coming in as true freshman, while two of the nine are Division I transfers.

The list of signees include Ricky Davey, Thomas Davis, Brad Davies, Patrick Dougall, Guiliano Frano, Jonathan Hilton, Shane Howard, Alex Morton and Kyle Stuller.

Dougall is a midfielder from Petit Valley, Trinidad & Tobago. He is a crafty, athletic midfielder with the ability to break down opposing teams with intelligent passing or creative individual attacking. He sees the field well and has the ability to finish anytime he is around the box. Patrick will be studying business management with the support of his parents Desmond and Natalie as well as siblings Carol and Hayley.

Dougall is a seven-time MVP with La Foucade Soccer. He was also named the Most Promising Player at La Foucade four times.

Jackson (Miss.) State
North Davidson's Salandy excited about her soccer future

Shakirah Salandy didn't start playing soccer at North Davidson until her junior year, but her background in the game runs much deeper.

On Tuesday night, she'll have a chance to show her skills as one of two area players — along with Megan Flanders from East Forsyth — in the annual East-West Girls All-Star Game at UNC Greensboro. Kickoff is set for 6:30.

Salandy, who has signed to play soccer at Jackson (Miss.) State of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, led North Davidson with 29 goals last spring and helped the Knights to a 14-6-1 record and an NCHSAA playoff berth.

She started her high school athletics career on the track, running the 100-, 200- and 400-meter dashes as a freshman, but sat out her sophomore year after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in her right knee while playing club soccer.

After recovering, Salandy gave up track to concentrate on soccer at North, saying it had become too time-consuming to play both sports.

Greg Beall, North Davidson's coach, said he first met Salandy during tryouts before her junior season and that she needed time to adjust.

"I think it took her the first season to get to know the girls and the staff," Beall said. "The girls all knew she was good. A lot of players with her talent have a chip. They enjoyed trying to support her. She was a true leader."

And even with 29 goals, Beall said, Salandy never broke away from the team concept. Samantha Barron, who will play at Converse, and Shelby Knowles, a rising senior at North, each had more than 20 goals.

"Of her 29 goals, she maybe had four or five breakaway goals," Beall said. "She created that after the top third (of the field) with her speed and athletic ability."

Beall had a young team last season and said that many players called Salandy "Mom."

"It was kind of a joke around school," Salandy said. "We only have two seniors on our team, so I was adopted team mom."

She also said the nickname made her proud.

"It really does touch my heart. I brought it up in my Senior Night speech," she said. "It really makes me feel proud."

In addition to her club and high school experience, Salandy played soccer for Trinidad & Tobago's U-17 team; her parents, Andy and Eulith, are natives of that country. Her father played soccer at Appalachian State in the late 1980s and now coaches a team at Triad Elite.

Salandy credits her father for sparking her love for the game, and said they have continued to work on skills this summer in preparation for Tuesday's all-star game and Division I soccer.

Salandy originally committed to play at Furman but changed her mind after talking with coach Adeniji Olagbegi of Jackson State and visiting the school.

"I really liked Furman. I actually visited Furman multiple times," she said. "It (Jackson State) is much bigger. I just thought it would be a better fit for me."

Salandy said she thinks the all-star game will be a good steppingstone for her future.

"I've been working hard this summer," she said. "I think I will be able to handle it. I think the all-star game will be a good way for me to handle what I am getting into."

Beall said Salandy is a tribute to how far the program at North Davidson has come and that she'll be integral to what North Davidson does in the future. Beall presented her with papers for playing in the all-star game, and she said her teammates "freaked out" and were "stoked."

"It is a proud moment for the (North Davidson) program, and I am proud for Shak," Beall said. "I hope, ultimately, she has a good time with it."

Salandy said: "I feel like it's going to be a big high. There's nothing to feel nervous about. I am just excited about being able to play."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 US College season thread
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
SWAC athletics is shit... hope that move works out for her.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »
Chike Sullivan was today named the RMAC Pre-Season Player of the Year. Along with Sullivan, Tesho Akindele, Manville Strand and Baski Baker all earned Pre-Season All-RMAC recognition. MORE
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:16:31 PM »
Baruch College (CUNY)
Men's Soccer Defeat Berkeley (2-1) in Valiants Classic, Play Vassar Saturday

Akil George (Arima, Trinidad & Tobago) scored his third goal of the season on a penalty kick in the 28th minute for the early 1-0 advantage.

UCF
No. 12 UCF Men’s Soccer Improves to 4-0 After Defeating North Florida

Sophomore McKauly Tulloch (Kingston, Jamaica) scored his sixth goal of the season in the 17th minute to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage over North Florida. Senior Kevan George (Roxborough, Trinidad Tobago) collected the assist. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:22:46 PM by E-man »

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:26:31 AM »
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Sean de Silva's 104th minute goal in double overtime which gave the College of Charleston a 2-1 win over UNC Asheville earned CofC the title in the Furman Diadora / Spinx Invitational on Sunday afternoon. Andy Craven (St. Simon's Island, Ga.) netted his fourth of the season in the 18th minute when de Silva (Port of Spain, Trinidad) found him in the box and Craven seized the opportunity from seven yards.

The Bulldogs equalized roughly 10 minutes into the second half when Jake Hagedorn was able to head in a rebound off a shot from Sam Rosabi.

The 1-1 tie held through regulation and 13 minutes of overtime until Francis Twohig (St. Simon's Island, Ga.) fed de Silva in front of goal where he headed the ball over the keeper and in for the game winner.             A goal and an assist for Sean ....well done

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:30:36 AM by saint27 »

Offline Married2ATrini

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
College Soccer-Goalkeeper
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »

MACON, Ga. – The Mercer men's soccer team used some incredible individual offensive efforts and suffocating team defending to come away with an impressive 2-0 win over in-state rival Georgia Southern on Sunday evening at Bear Field.

Freshman Greg Ranjitsingh finished with four saves on the evening to record his second shutout of the season. The clean sheet for Mercer was especially impressive considering Georgia Southern entered Sunday's game with the seventh ranked scoring offense in the country, averaging 2.83 goals per game.

Offline Married2ATrini

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »
http://www.omavs.com/news/2011/9/23/MSOC_0923111951.aspx?path=msoc

Mercer Takes Care of Business in 2-0 Win over Nebraska Omaha

OMAHA, Neb. – The Mercer men's soccer team made sure it enters Atlantic Sun Conference play on a high note after a dominating 2-0 road victory over Nebraska Omaha on Friday evening in front of 1,488 fans at Werner Park.

Mercer (4-3-1) out-shot Nebraska Omaha (1-5-0) 14-11, including an 11-3 edge in shots on goal, in a game that got testy at times and featured 35 combined fouls.

In the first-ever meeting between the two clubs and the Bears first visit to Nebraska since 2005, it didn't take long for the visitors to make their mark in the Cornhusker State. Junior Josh Shutter put a long throw right into the middle of the box that freshman Ashani Samuels jumped up and headed into the back of the net to give Mercer a 1-0 lead less than a minute into the game.

That would be all the scoring for both sides in a back-and-forth first half that ended with the Orange and Black holding the 1-0 advantage.

Sophomore Ehjayson Henry broke a lull in the action in the second stanza when he orchestrated a run in the box and tried to slide in a shot low past UNO goalkeeper Josh Christensen, but the attempt was cleared off the line by a Nebraska Omaha defender to keep the score 1-0.

The Orange and Black kept pressing on, however, and put the game out of reach in the 81st minute. Junior Joey Heavner curled a ball in behind the Mavericks defense that classmate Will Betts flicked over Christensen's head to give Mercer a 2-0 lead.

That would be all the scoring in the contest, as Mercer goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh made three saves to record his third career and second-straight shutout.

Mercer returns to Macon for the beginning of A-Sun Conference play next weekend, starting with a match-up against North Florida on September 29. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Bear Field. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 12:34:38 PM »
Good stuff moms...

Offline Married2ATrini

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
Bears Settle for 0-0 Draw against USC Upstate

MACON, Ga. –After 110 minutes of all-out effort, the Mercer men's soccer team just couldn't find the back of the net in an eventual 0-0 draw with USC Upstate on a bitterly cold Wednesday evening at Bear Field.

Mercer (6-6-2, 1-3-1 A-Sun) put up a season-high 23 shots in the contest and out-cornered USC Upstate (5-7-2, 2-3-2 A-Sun) 9-8, but failed to light up the scoreboard in a game for just the third time this season.

Each squad had several quality scoring chances throughout in a game that was high tempo on the offensive side of the ball from the first whistle.

The Bears best chance came in the first half when junior Joey Heavner whipped in a corner kick that freshman Carl-Oscar Andersson headed on net. The attempt looked to be sailing in just inside the near post, but a USC Upstate defender headed the ball of the line to keep the game scoreless.

The Spartans top scoring opportunity came late in the second half. Senior Timo Forester dribbled into some space and ripped a shot from about 25 yards out that bounded off the far post and back onto the field of play.

Mercer goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh made a season-high six saves to record his sixth shutout of the season, while USC Upstate's Jason McCabe made seven saves to preserve the 0-0 final score.

Mercer is back in action this Saturday when it hosts ETSU in its final Atlantic Sun Conference home match of the 2011 season. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Bear Field and will double as Senior Night for defenders Ryan Young and Phil Thoren.

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:52 AM »
http://www.gousfbulls.com/pics32/640/SE/SENHLZYATRHRUWD.20111128031157.jpg

Leston Paul and usf though to NCAA elite 8 after defeating #10 new mexico ....next up is #2 Crieghton

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »
Gr8 stuff. Real players for Eve to consider
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:03:05 PM »
... and precisely why overseas players need to be monitored systematically.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
"... and precisely why overseas players need to be monitored systematically."

He is being monitored.
When it comes to playing, he IS the hardest worker on the USF
team. If he isn't on the TT team in the US in March/April, it's
because he is injured, no other reason.

To see the USF x Creighton game, go here @ 1:45P EST Saturday
Dec 3rd:

http://www.gocreighton.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&&SPSID=89401&SPID=2518&DB_OEM_ID=1000

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
He needs to be the skipper for the under 23's he is a natural leader ....also the vice capt of usf

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »

He is being monitored.

Dec 3rd:

http://www.gocreighton.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&&SPSID=89401&SPID=2518&DB_OEM_ID=1000

Could you share what that entails?

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
Too much snow.

http://www.gocreighton.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1000&ATCLID=205341933

He is being monitored.

Dec 3rd:

The monitoring?
The same way these guys get recruited, video.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
USF lost their quarter final this evening 1-0 to #2 ranked Creighton who were 20-2-0 with 17 clean sheets

From http://www.gousfbulls.com/

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA – The Bulls’ unforgettable men’s soccer season ended in extra time Sunday afternoon in the Elite Eight.

Ethan Finley’s goal in the 96th minute sent host Creighton past USF, 1-0, in Omaha, Neb., and helped the Bluejays advance to the Final Four.

“I give Creighton credit on the day for what they did,” USF head coach George Kiefer said.

Creighton found itself ahead at the end after USF put itself into position to go ahead twice before overtime.

Creighton had given up only five goals all season, but Ashani Fairclough found the net in the first half and Dom Dwyer scored with about 20 minutes to go in regulation. Offsides calls wiped away both scoring chances.

The game originally was scheduled for Saturday, but heavy snow delayed things until 2 p.m. (EST) Sunday. Kiefer did not think the postponement had an effect on his team that had played in bad weather conditions many times this season.

“Right before kickoff you can be drained on that, but I felt the leadership of the group was very good and the approach was good,” he said.

It marked the Bulls’ third trip to the Elite Eight and the second since the 2009 season. USF made its fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament after finishing last season with a 9-5-4 record. The Bulls finished 13-4-4 this season with a few new, key pieces to its roster.

“When I step back and look at the record we had a year ago and losing that many players, to get all these guys all on the same page this year it was a real fun team to be involved with,” Kiefer said. “A lot of good life lessons throughout the year. I’m very thankful for each and every one of them.”

USF fell short of a national title, but can look back on great success, especially in conference play. The Bulls won the Big East Red Division title after not losing a game in the Big East. Dwyer also was named the conference’s offensive player of the year in his USF debut after leading the Big East in goals and points.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
Too much snow.

http://www.gocreighton.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1000&ATCLID=205341933

He is being monitored.

Dec 3rd:

The monitoring?
The same way these guys get recruited, video.

Here's the thing: Leston Paul is not an unknown commodity. We could have a debate on what keeping up with his progress should entail. However, let me suggest that monitoring properly done is much more comprehensive than reviewing video. For players who are lesser known commodities, or for whom ... as one would hope ... their game has evolved since they flashed out de country ...  much more than video is needed. Too much context is lost.

1]; } ?>