March 28, 2024, 03:58:04 PM

Author Topic: Young signs in Argentina  (Read 2657 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Young signs in Argentina
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:05:36 AM »
Young signs in Argentina
by Albert-Lee Young

Trinidad and Tobago national team point guard, Ian Young, signed to play with La Union de Formosa as they completed building their roster.

Young coming off a successful stint in the Iran with Gorgan was added to the Argentina team which completes in the La Liga A League.

Previously he played in France, Finland, Saudi Arabia, CBA, D-League, Germany, USBL and Bosnia.

Ian Young represented Trinidad & Tobago at 2010 Centrobasket where he helped the national team to a historic win over regional champs, Puerto Rico. He posted 13.0 points, 3.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists per game in Santo Domingo.

He also made it into Latinbasket.com All-CBC Championship 2nd Team while playing at the Caribbean Championships in Tortola back in 2009.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Young signs in Argentina
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
wow, dat is a true globetrottin journeyman
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

true that's life of a pro baller outside the NBA and the few top teams in Europe

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »

true that's life of a pro baller outside the NBA and the few top teams in Europe

True, that's pretty par for the course outside the US.  I have a couple pardnas, some I went to school with, some I know just informally... and they've fashioned very nice livings off of journeyman careers in Europe.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »

True, that's pretty par for the course outside the US.  I have a couple pardnas, some I went to school with, some I know just informally... and they've fashioned very nice livings off of journeyman careers in Europe.

Do NBA scouts spend a significant fraction of time monitoring these leagues?  How does one go about securing a contract to the NBA coming from one of these, through one's agent?  Assuming of course, you can make the cut
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »

Do NBA scouts spend a significant fraction of time monitoring these leagues?  How does one go about securing a contract to the NBA coming from one of these, through one's agent?  Assuming of course, you can make the cut

every NBA team has some scouts monitoring international leagues as their primary responsibility.

Having a good agent would be advantageous. I've heard of men showing up and talking their way onto summer league teams. Hustling is the fundamentally the same across professions.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:33:58 PM by daryn »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
Yeah having a good agent is key (from the little that I've observed) and yeah teams have scouts all over, especially in Europe.  Once you over there it's pretty much a wrap though, at that stage teams already know what you have to offer so if they don't express some interest it ent because they don't know about you.  Not to say that all is completely lost though, couple fellas were able to make it back across the Atlantic after no initial interest by the NBA... Mario Elie from back in the day and Gary Neal, currently with the Spurs come to mind.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
Thanks  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
Thanks  :beermug:

No problem man.

But life ain't exactly rosy fuh dem men either... yuh have to stay on yuh hustle as daryn say.  Fuh instance, teams have a cap on how many foreign players they could have on their roster, and even then, how many minutes they could play (to ensure European players get on a team, and then on the court).  So with all the hype about Deron Williams going to Turkey... and possibly Kobe... that mean that one, possible two foreigners getting cut from Besitkas... which might create its own ripple effect if some other team picks up those players.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
Happen to stumble across this
http://dimemag.com/2011/07/overseas-player-deron-williams-in-for-a-rude-awakening/#more-87491

Them foreign ballers does see some hard times oui....no wonder they does journey so much
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>