April 19, 2024, 08:14:35 AM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors in 2015 Copa America?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Soca Warriors in 2015 Copa America?
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
This article was tweeted by Grant Wahl.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.canchallena.com/1391242-se-viene-una-nueva-copa-america

Under this format the international schedule would be:
2015-Copa Americas
2016-Gold Cup
2017-Confed Cup

Would love to see this happen, more games vs better opposition. Of course we'd have to qualify.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors in 2015 Copa America?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:56:04 PM »
As long as they don't use FIFA rankings to pick the top 6, I am all for it.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:33:07 PM »
Bourbon i aint see you already had this up in the other thread. Yall could close this one.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »
This is a great development
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »
Bourbon i aint see you already had this up in the other thread. Yall could close this one.

Small ting it might be seen better here.

In case we doh realise it....if this comes through...this is great for us.

More games...against quality opponents....under conditions likely to be what we may have to face in the event of a playoff for a world cup spot.

For me...not qualifying for your confederations showpiece event is a shot in the foot. Unfortunately with our federation.....they decided to shoot us in the groin as well....since no effort was made to have alternate games etc.

This time there is ZERO room for slip ups. ZERO.

Almost everybody else getting serious about this.
Panama U17 teams competing.
Costa Rica get some licks in Copa....and come out better for it anyhow.
We cyar even get WASA Clean and White to play against we on a PS3.

Den people does wonder why I have such disgust for de former special advisor....cuz a lot of de issues we had were due to him..and those muppets that he has under his control collective incompetence.

But...once there is life..there is hope.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:06:18 AM »
This will further lead to the death of Caribbean football. Teams like Grenada, Guadeloupe etc would more than likely have no chance to showcase their skills to the world (via Gold Cup).

Yes, the Conancacaf teams would be exposed to higher quality football, but when you consider that teams like the USA, Mexico are well capable of organizing games with top class oppositions on the regular, you realize that its not such a big deal after all. In fact, Jamaica has played Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil in friendly games in the past, and still has teh capacity to do that. 

Dont see this happening.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 06:22:29 AM »
I feel we should keep we arse quiet and learn to beat Caribbean teams first and qualify for a Gold Cup first before we go across in S. America and have them Latins tear we a new kakahole.

Getting lix for TT IS NOT A LEARNING EXPERIENCE...they duncee and they doh learn nuttin, never have, never will.

We are a bobolee side...I love them...but we are a bobolee side.

Let us not shame the nation on a global stage.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »
I feel we should keep we arse quiet and learn to beat Caribbean teams first and qualify for a Gold Cup first before we go across in S. America and have them Latins tear we a new kakahole.

Getting lix for TT IS NOT A LEARNING EXPERIENCE...they duncee and they doh learn nuttin, never have, never will.

While I agree with yuh, in whole and in part ah think dat de poster post date de check correck. A forward looking goal of copa in 4 years isnt too unfair. I rather like it. Of course it would take 4 years of interrupted football for de National team. Unsabotaged, un denied water in training, and all dem un's to make dat dream a possibility.

Reggae-Fan, what was dat yuh was talking bout dey man? It seemed like only the last line of never happen had any relivance to the topic. I'm just saying!

While I agree with yuh, in whole and in part ah think dat de poster post date de check correck. A forward looking goal of copa in 4 years isnt too unfair. I rather like it. Of course it would take 4 years of un- interrupted football for de National team. Unsabotaged, un denied water in training, and all dem un's to make dat dream a possibility.

Reggae-Fan, what was dat yuh was talking bout dey man? It seemed like only the last line of "never happen" had any relevance to the topic. I'm just saying!
Dis thought frightens you or what?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:33:35 AM »

Can't agree with this post.  If we qualify for it, we deserve to be there.  Just like if you qualify for a World Cup, you deserve to be there.  If we're that terrible we just will not qualify.

I look forward to this new format-  Copa America as it is has a flawed format... and the Gold Cup has become a bragging rights tournament between the U.S. and Mexico- let's open up our region to our S.A. neighbours and be a part of a real international tournament...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
This will further lead to the death of Caribbean football. Teams like Grenada, Guadeloupe etc would more than likely have no chance to showcase their skills to the world (via Gold Cup).

Yes, the Conancacaf teams would be exposed to higher quality football, but when you consider that teams like the USA, Mexico are well capable of organizing games with top class oppositions on the regular, you realize that its not such a big deal after all. In fact, Jamaica has played Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil in friendly games in the past, and still has teh capacity to do that. 

Dont see this happening.

Can't agree with this post either. First of all, "the Word" does not watch the Gold Cup...It's barely a global showcase and those who do watch are not walking away with meaningful memories of Grenada and Guadeloupe (neither Jamaica, nor T&T in the days when we used to actually qualify for the Gold Cup)... Gold Cup (especially of late) is about USA and Mexico...And comparing the occasional friendly with playing a competitive tournament against those teams you mention is also kind of naive. 

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »
allyuh really wah see we guh there and embarrased we self suh??

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »

Dont see this happening.

Can't agree with this post either. First of all, "the Word" does not watch the Gold Cup...It's barely a global showcase and those who do watch are not walking away with meaningful memories of Grenada and Guadeloupe (neither Jamaica, nor T&T in the days when we used to actually qualify for the Gold Cup)... Gold Cup (especially of late) is about USA and Mexico...And comparing the occasional friendly with playing a competitive tournament against those teams you mention is also kind of naive. 

The world does not watch the gold cup, but its the pinacle of exposure for most caribbean and Central american teams. The proposed new tournament would have six concacaf teams involved...if they go on rankings to determine who gets in, then you can effectively expect possibly no caribbean team getting in... If there is a playoffs, again, you can count on no more than two caribbean teams getting through. If its on an invite basis, then you can expect Mexico, USA, Canada getting automatic spots, and at least two invites (top two finishers) from UNCAF...and possibly the winner from CFU....goodbye to teams like Grenada, guadeloupe, Cuba, who now have to either win CFU or place second to get in. the top CFU team would struggle to get results away in south America. Consistently getting 4-0 drubbings by superor teams does nothing to the development of your football.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:51:06 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »

The world does not watch the gold cup, but its the pinacle of exposure for most caribbean and Central american teams. The proposed new tournament would have six concacaf teams involved...if they go on rankings to determine who gets in, then you can effectively expect possibly no caribbean team getting in... If there is a playoffs, again, you can count on no more than two caribbean teams getting through. If its on an invite basis, then you can expect Mexico, USA, Canada getting automatic spots, and at least two invites (top two finishers) from UNCAF...and possibly the winner from CFU....goodbye to teams like Grenada, guadeloupe, Cuba, who now have to either win CFU or place second to get in. the top CFU team would struggle to get results away in south America. Consistently getting 4-0 drubbings by superor teams does nothing to the development of your football.

Sounds like there will be qualification.  Playing occasional friendlies doesn't do that much for the development of football either...practice matches are for practice, specific preparation and benchmarking of progress....  The occasional participation in Gold Cup isn't doing anything for Grenada etc in terms of real development...  You can't rely too heavily on tournaments and competitions to actually develop football.  Teams have to do their own football developement, their own homework and then try to qualify for competitions, primarily to compete and secondarily possibly benchmark progress...Trinidad could play in every gold cup from now til the end of time, our foobtall eh going one place if we don't develop our program outside of that... What has the Gold Cup really done for T&T in terms of developing our football?

I'm not saying the the new format will help to develop lesser developed programs...but I don't think that should be the point or the concern... let's face it, these programs have been where they are under the competitive landscape that has existed for a long time.  You want to maintain that?  What has that done for us?  Is Grenada really that much better off because of the Gold Cup?  Do the math.  It's not a question of development.  It's about competition - the higher the level of competition to aspire to, the higher the level of preparation needed- which will hopefully translate itself into more robust development efforts.  If Gold Cup is the pinnacle, then teams will prepare and "develop"  to suit... And that's where we are now...and that's not good enough. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:25:11 AM by kicker »

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:41 AM »

Dont see this happening.

Have you bothered to look at the world rankings lately? It clearly states after Mexico and the USA the next highest team in the region....Jamaica. The same reggae boyz who dropped both Honduras and Guatemala at the Gold Cup. I get angry at the fact nobody really gives the CFU any credit because unfortunately the stronger always have a way longer road in order to qualify for the Gold Cup. I'm waiting for the year when CFU has Haiti, T&T, Jamaica, and Cuba as the representatives. Then we'll see how much luck the UNCAF will have then.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »

Sounds like there will be qualification.  Playing occasional friendlies doesn't do that much for the development of football either...practice matches are for practice, specific preparation and benchmarking of progress....  The occasional participation in Gold Cup isn't doing anything for Grenada etc in terms of real development...  You can't rely too heavily on tournaments and competitions to actually develop football.  Teams have to do their own football developement, their own homework and then try to qualify for competitions, primarily to compete and secondarily possibly benchmark progress...Trinidad could play in every gold cup from now til the end of time, our foobtall eh going one place if we don't develop our program outside of that... What has the Gold Cup really done for T&T in terms of developing our football?

I'm not saying the the new format will help to develop lesser developed programs...but I don't think that should be the point or the concern... let's face it, these programs have been where they are under the competitive landscape that has existed for a long time.  You want to maintain that?  What has that done for us?  Is Grenada really that much better off because of the Gold Cup?  Do the math.  It's not a question of development.  It's about competition - the higher the level of competition to aspire to, the higher the level of preparation needed- which will hopefully translate itself into more robust development efforts.  If Gold Cup is the pinnacle, then teams will prepare and "develop"  to suit... And that's where we are now...and that's not good enough. 

If there is a qualification process involved to select 6 teams...then, to be honest with you, I give caribbean teams VERY LITTLE chance at qualifying. Maybe Jamaica can do it consistently (even that is debatable), but overall, i wouldnt expect more than one caribbean team to overcome the likes of Mexico, USA, Canada, CRC, HON, home and away.

1) Mexico
2) USA
3) Honduras
4) Costa Rica Costa Rica / Panama
5) Canada Jamaica
6) Canada, Rest OF CFU and rest of UNCAF battles for #6

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:13:47 PM by Reggaefan »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 11:05:59 AM »
If there is a qualification process involved to select 6 teams...then, to be honest with you, I give caribbean teams VERY LITTLE chance at qualifying. Maybe Jamaica can do it consistently (even that is debatable), but overall, i wouldnt expect more than one caribbean team to overcome the likes of Mexico, USA, Canada, CRC, HON, home and away.

1) Mexico
2) USA
3) Honduras
4) Costa Rica
5) Canada
6) CFU and the rest of UNCAF battles for #6

That would just mean that we're not good enough.  And playing in a hundred Gold Cups by itself eh changing that.   Read my post- in my view competitions are primarily for competing...

I don't see how this hypothetical scenario responds to anything I said...except to say that you didn't read it past the 1st line...which is ok as well  :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:08:41 AM by kicker »

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »

1) Mexico
2) USA
3) Honduras
4) Costa Rica
5) Canada
6) CFU and the rest of UNCAF battles for #6

Im surprised that you would say that. Jamaica is right now a way better team than Canada, in fact yall have beat them in a home & home in the last qualifying cycle. So unless they are a guaranteed qualifier then they are defiantly not a favorite to qualify to me.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »
Im surprised that you would say that. Jamaica is right now a way better team than Canada, in fact yall have beat them in a home & home in the last qualifying cycle. So unless they are a guaranteed qualifier then they are defiantly not a favorite to qualify to me.

ok, swap canada for Jamaica....bottomline is you would still favor Canada over two legs vs the other caribbean teams.

1]; } ?>