April 27, 2024, 04:50:31 AM

Author Topic: Crawford predicts Olympic success  (Read 4825 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Crawford predicts Olympic success
« on: July 24, 2011, 03:55:44 AM »
Crawford predicts Olympic success (Newsday)
By STEPHON NICHOLAS Sunday, July 24 2011

HASELY CRAWFORD, Trinidad and Tobago’s only Olympic gold medallist, is predicting an excellent performance by this country at the highly anticipated London Olympics next year.

Crawford pointed out that Trinidad and Tobago are beginning to produce top quality in athletes in various disciplines and are not limited alone to track events.

“If you notice, we have increased our depth. We are winning shot put, long jump and other events. Once athletes are properly prepared and healthy, expect a good performance at the Olympics. I am so excited. We no longer have just one or two athletes. Even in the women the depth is increasing,” he said.

Crawford hailed the performance of the local contingent at the recently concluded CAC Senior Championships where they placed third in the standings with 14 medals (six gold, three silver and five bronze).

“It was a good achievement. I’m not surprised because we have a lot of top athletes,” he said.

The 60-year-old believes 2011 CAC 100m champion Keston Bledman has a very bright future ahead of him and expects him to make an impact at the Olympics next year.

Bledman, a former Junior Pan Am 100m champion, won the gold at the CAC in 10.05 seconds to continue his good form this season where he has clocked an impressive 9.93.

“I always felt that young man was destined to go places. He has settled down and has impressed. If he keeps the way he is going don’t be surprised to see him in the Olympic final,” he added.

The 1976 Olympic 100m champ also expressed his admiration for national sprint queen Kelly-Ann Baptiste who has been scorching the tracks across Europe for the past year.

“I admire that young lady. I remember we went CARIFTA in Barbados. She was 14 years old at the time and was as an alternate. I remember her well and she was always focused but didn’t talk too much. She is focused and disciplined,” he revealed.

Crawford also had a surprising prediction to make, stating that he believes 2011 CAC Women’s 100m winner Semoy Hackett will eclipse her more esteemed compatriot.

“Semoy is talented and powerful and I feel she will be better than Kelly-Ann,” he declared.

Turning to the sub-par performances by Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson on the European circuit this year, Crawford expressed his approval for him changing his coach.

The 26-year-old has not been at his best and has struggled to consistently dip below 10 seconds.

“I told him he should change his coach about three years ago and I see he has now changed his coach. He needs to put on about 10 more pounds, he’s a bit light. I’m not expecting too much of him at the World Championships but don’t rule him out. He’s a guy that has shown he can perform when the pressure is on so that’s good. He has things to correct, though. He should begin running the 200m and start some quarter-miles to get strength,” he advised.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford predicts Olympic success
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:35:37 AM »
That's a bold statement to make that Semoy will be better that Kelly-Ann. Semoy is stronger than Kelly-Ann when Kelly-Ann was in the same year only because Kelly-ann had the year out with that injury. KAB could have had some medals by now but everything happens for a reason and all that hard work she has done is beginning to show. I wish both of them the greatest of success.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:37:30 AM by Trini1 »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
Rubbish
BORN TO DO IT

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:57:37 PM »
success for us is no longer making a final, probably that definition worked in the post crawford and pre boldon days.  success tehse days are medals.  right now only KAB and our 4x100 mens relay stand a chance of medalling.  i don't know what is going on with jehue.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
success for us is no longer making a final, probably that definition worked in the post crawford and pre boldon days.  success tehse days are medals.  right now only KAB and our 4x100 mens relay stand a chance of medalling.  i don't know what is going on with jehue.

Doh write him off just yet!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/t_x1IH_bM78" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/t_x1IH_bM78</a>

Yuh win some yuh lose some!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 06:04:56 PM »
Rubbish

care to explain WHY ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Paceman123

• Full Warrior
  • The talent to be a great runner is a gift from Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:16 PM »
Rubbish

What exactly is Rubbish Ato? Some of the things he said are true SOME

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »
Rubbish

What exactly is Rubbish Ato? Some of the things he said are true SOME

I would imagine A.B. is referring to Crawford's prediction that Semoy will eventually eclipse KAB.

Otherwise as you pointed out most of the other stuff Crawfie pointed out is true!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:40:14 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »
The Semoy thing obviously. Burns and Brown were supposed to have run 9.6 by now and 19.77 is supposed to have been long gone. You would think in a country where 99% of our junior stars fade (Fana et al) we wouldn't be as quick to always say potential will surpass established/proven. Guess not.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »
The Semoy thing obviously. Burns and Brown were supposed to have run 9.6 by now and 19.77 is supposed to have been long gone. You would think in a country where 99% of our junior stars fade (Fana et al) we wouldn't be as quick to always say potential will surpass established/proven. Guess not.

:thumbsup:

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
As long as you can help Michelle  :D 

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »

I keep hearing about this statistic and poor odds of outstanding junior athletes not being able to take it to the next level and wondered whether it is to be expected as a matter of probability or whether there are circumstances that cause the attrition.

I have seen many promising T&T athletes fade at different stages (i) before their late teens, (ii) during college, (iii) after college if no sponsor or returning home without the proper support and environment, (iv) after a debilitating but not irrecoverable injury, etc. I do not know if the attrition is worse in T&T than in Jamaica but it is sad.

It seems to me that some of the contributing causes could be (i) bad coaches in T&T who may run their talents into the ground, (ii) bad choices of events to suit the particular athlete's skills, (iii) lack of guidance provided to an athlete who might be better suited at home in T&T than abroad, (iv) bad choices of schools to attend (covered in another thread) with unsophisticated coaches or coaches who cannot coach the particular event the athlete excels in, (v) bad life choices (pregnancies, drugs, steroids, crime while at college), (vi) lack of expert medical resources that pro athletes enjoy via sponsor funds (Munich), (vii) lack of urgency in T&T in support of returning (post-college) athletes (inaccessible stadia facilities, no hi-quality training partners etc), (viii) lack of access to quality track meets in the Caribbean and North/South America, and (ix) lack of technical expertise from fundamentals through correction to fine-tuning.

It seems to me that for those of us who love/live/breathe track and want to arrest that sad trend of attrition so as to increase the probability of more frequent HCs, IMs, ABs, there is a social and financial opportunity in it. Actually it is a great opportunity for an NAAAs or a private entity to take up the mantle of T&F excellence in T&T, from a modern-day perspective.

What about a T&T track & field academy akin to a football center of excellence or an IAAF high-performance center? A facility that is not club-specific, where IAAF-trained T&T coaches can by appointment or by advertisement help athletes with the basics (form/technique), correction (start/drive phase/hurdling/PV/LJ/HJ specifics, etc), injury detection/prevention/recovery via local sports doctors or connections to the experts abroad. A facility where college-aged and bound athletes can come in, sit down with some "veterans" and talk about college athletic life, social integration and preparedness for life away from home, do research on schools, coaches, and talk about life prospects after college track, etc.

I hear about the Barcelona soccer brand and system - these seasoned guys go world-wide during the off-season and coach kids as young as 6/7 in the basics, as well as in some sophistications (position role, triangle play, etc etc) and make money from these 2-week camps.

What if we had more than just a series of infrequent track clinics in T&T, but a place where any athlete at any level can go freely to get help with their event, that they cannot necessarily get in their club.

Actually with the right strategy and marketing it could make for a viable enterprise. Shoot Alvin Corneal made a nice living as the only type of that capability in T&T football back in the 70s. I could foresee such an entity pairing corporations with select promising athletes to cover the costs of coaching services, medical needs, equipment, etc in exchange for advertising rights should that athlete go on to better things.

Targeted athletes could receive free/sponsored services in the interest of T&T track and field, and others pay an affordable fee per session until they show promise or receive a sponsor. Should the system prove effective then any visiting international athlete would pay for the same services. It's kind of where I think Jamaica is now, where athletes from other countries come to receive off-season training, to train with the best, to try new, innovative yet low-tech/effective methods and pay for the privilege.

It should have an impact on the catchment rate of T&F talent in T&T, and improve the probability and quantity of excellence via proper local coaching methods, proper medical/mental/life-choices/nutritional/college decision advice, creation of a home for returning athletes to train with others at the levels they had in college, a recovery environment for proven but injured athletes to rebound and increase their longevity, and an environment where from midget to maven athletes at all levels can interact, support, advise throughout the ranks.

Let me know if I am "preaching to the choir", if it's been tried before, etc. I may sound like a pipe dream, but with astute planning, financing, convincing, persuasion, influencing skills within the private sector and (hold your breath) the government, it may fly, even in a country where everybody seems more concerned with self than others.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:04:29 PM by STMB »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
This and more was proposed 3 years ago, post-Beijing.  Trinity Cross saw the document.

I don't understand why but the reality in my view (and I have seen more inside the inner workings of TnT sport thru track and Jack Warner, I suspect, than most) is that we hang on to old archaic systems and people as though anything 50 years ago makes any sense TODAY. What company/corporation can be run the way it was 50 years ago (and do well)?

You made very good points, and I enjoyed reading them. 

I will say this before i go. In any sport in TnT, particularly if it's from a "local" - if it is over their heads knowledge/experience-wise and/or makes them obsolete, it's INSTANTLY discarded.

Ask Mike Phillips in cycling, many others. I thought it was just TnF. It isn't. It's cultural. Politics is pretty much the same thing. Set of old ass jokers and nothing changes

Jamaica has their internal issues too in TnF, but at some point they go for the greater good let's progress.
BORN TO DO IT

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »

I keep hearing about this statistic and poor odds of outstanding junior athletes not being able to take it to the next level and wondered whether it is to be expected as a matter of probability or whether there are circumstances that cause the attrition.

I have seen many promising T&T athletes fade at different stages (i) before their late teens, (ii) during college, (iii) after college if no sponsor or returning home without the proper support and environment, (iv) after a debilitating but not irrecoverable injury, etc. I do not know if the attrition is worse in T&T than in Jamaica but it is sad.

It seems to me that some of the contributing causes could be (i) bad coaches in T&T who may run their talents into the ground, (ii) bad choices of events to suit the particular athlete's skills, (iii) lack of guidance provided to an athlete who might be better suited at home in T&T than abroad, (iv) bad choices of schools to attend (covered in another thread) with unsophisticated coaches or coaches who cannot coach the particular event the athlete excels in, (v) bad life choices (pregnancies, drugs, steroids, crime while at college), (vi) lack of expert medical resources that pro athletes enjoy via sponsor funds (Munich), (vii) lack of urgency in T&T in support of returning (post-college) athletes (inaccessible stadia facilities, no hi-quality training partners etc), (viii) lack of access to quality track meets in the Caribbean and North/South America, and (ix) lack of technical expertise from fundamentals through correction to fine-tuning.

It seems to me that for those of us who love/live/breathe track and want to arrest that sad trend of attrition so as to increase the probability of more frequent HCs, IMs, ABs, there is a social and financial opportunity in it. Actually it is a great opportunity for an NAAAs or a private entity to take up the mantle of T&F excellence in T&T, from a modern-day perspective.

What about a T&T track & field academy akin to a football center of excellence or an IAAF high-performance center? A facility that is not club-specific, where IAAF-trained T&T coaches can by appointment or by advertisement help athletes with the basics (form/technique), correction (start/drive phase/hurdling/PV/LJ/HJ specifics, etc), injury detection/prevention/recovery via local sports doctors or connections to the experts abroad. A facility where college-aged and bound athletes can come in, sit down with some "veterans" and talk about college athletic life, social integration and preparedness for life away from home, do research on schools, coaches, and talk about life prospects after college track, etc.

I hear about the Barcelona soccer brand and system - these seasoned guys go world-wide during the off-season and coach kids as young as 6/7 in the basics, as well as in some sophistications (position role, triangle play, etc etc) and make money from these 2-week camps.

What if we had more than just a series of infrequent track clinics in T&T, but a place where any athlete at any level can go freely to get help with their event, that they cannot necessarily get in their club.

Actually with the right strategy and marketing it could make for a viable enterprise. Shoot Alvin Corneal made a nice living as the only type of that capability in T&T football back in the 70s. I could foresee such an entity pairing corporations with select promising athletes to cover the costs of coaching services, medical needs, equipment, etc in exchange for advertising rights should that athlete go on to better things.

Targeted athletes could receive free/sponsored services in the interest of T&T track and field, and others pay an affordable fee per session until they show promise or receive a sponsor. Should the system prove effective then any visiting international athlete would pay for the same services. It's kind of where I think Jamaica is now, where athletes from other countries come to receive off-season training, to train with the best, to try new, innovative yet low-tech/effective methods and pay for the privilege.

It should have an impact on the catchment rate of T&F talent in T&T, and improve the probability and quantity of excellence via proper local coaching methods, proper medical/mental/life-choices/nutritional/college decision advice, creation of a home for returning athletes to train with others at the levels they had in college, a recovery environment for proven but injured athletes to rebound and increase their longevity, and an environment where from midget to maven athletes at all levels can interact, support, advise throughout the ranks.

Let me know if I am "preaching to the choir", if it's been tried before, etc. I may sound like a pipe dream, but with astute planning, financing, convincing, persuasion, influencing skills within the private sector and (hold your breath) the government, it may fly, even in a country where everybody seems more concerned with self than others.

Seems that at times instead ah acting like ah little girl or talking about how great Brown is, you can actually talk some sense.

I too enjoyed your post because it does show the glaring lack of planning and insight in the TT Track and Field.   Ato is correct I did see the document pot Beijing that as soundly rejected.  Ato feels it is because they eh want to change, I think it is because dey eh want anyone to come up with an idea that shows dem up for their incompetence and lack of vision.

Ato and you STMB are talking about creating a brand much like Jamaica has a brand.

Take that the TnF honchos in Trinidad and man like Creed etc. will blow yuh off....

Instead of capturing and nurturing talent through all stages of development, we allow our best to burn out..lights that could shine are snuffed out through apathy and dunce ass men.

A lot of what you posted above was presented to them men and dem...me eh calling no names.

It too expensive, it cyar wuk, we eh come up with it..so go away.

Imagine a simple thing as a budget for the relay teams to meet and train and then attnd well chosen meets to hone skills....TOO EXPENSIVE.

Imagine paying our most successful track star a little something to come back and manage and train the youngsters...TOO EXPENSIVE!

Ask why we hate when T&T born or eligible athletes choose to ruh for their adopted nation over T&T...the anger is misplaced, who can blame a young start for choosing USA over T&T when we cyar even coordinate our own Nationals?

Steups

Yuh eh preaching to the choir nah...yuh asking valid answers!

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 04:23:02 AM »
Good to see STMB and Trinity Cross on the same page, I must say these posts are the mpst inciteful and thought provactive that I read on this forum in a while

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 05:54:31 AM »
Good to see STMB and Trinity Cross on the same page, I must say these posts are the mpst inciteful and thought provactive that I read on this forum in a while

yuh eh like meh shout out to allyuh???

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 06:27:52 AM »

Seems that at times instead ah acting like ah little girl or talking about how great Brown is, you can actually talk some sense.

I too enjoyed your post because it does show the glaring lack of planning and insight in the TT Track and Field.   Ato is correct I did see the document pot Beijing that as soundly rejected.  Ato feels it is because they eh want to change, I think it is because dey eh want anyone to come up with an idea that shows dem up for their incompetence and lack of vision.

Ato and you STMB are talking about creating a brand much like Jamaica has a brand.

Take that the TnF honchos in Trinidad and man like Creed etc. will blow yuh off....

Instead of capturing and nurturing talent through all stages of development, we allow our best to burn out..lights that could shine are snuffed out through apathy and dunce ass men.

A lot of what you posted above was presented to them men and dem...me eh calling no names.

Imagine a simple thing as a budget for the relay teams to meet and train and then attnd well chosen meets to hone skills....TOO EXPENSIVE.

Imagine paying our most successful track star a little something to come back and manage and train the youngsters...TOO EXPENSIVE!

Ask why we hate when T&T born or eligible athletes choose to ruh for their adopted nation over T&T...the anger is misplaced, who can blame a young start for choosing USA over T&T when we cyar even coordinate our own Nationals?

Steups

Cross, I am beginning to think you are a misogynist - you cuss all the female members of my family and now you calling me a gyul. Can you for good measure go ahead and cuss all of my male ancestry and prove me wrong???  :rotfl:

Anyway, it is good to see beyond the points of differences that folks truly care about T&F in T&T.

Well I have one thing to suggest - a facilitated approach from an indirect angle (for the love of T&F). Let them lead, they were voted in for the time being and have the right to be there. Approach the NAAAs under the cover of a corporate initiative to help T&F, get their ideas, weave them into the already planned framework so that they have "skin in the game", thereby muting any resistance on their part.

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 08:19:55 AM »

yuh eh like meh shout out to allyuh???

I really enjoyed your coverage.
The problems is that the NAAA care more for the greater good of themselves than the greater good of the sport. When we can find administrators who genuinely put the sport first before their own misguided delusions of grandeur and socila status.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
I love the idea and I'm tired of these selfish people... tiredwhy can't they out the well being of the athletes and future athlete first!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 05:09:44 PM »

Steups

This is something I can agree with you on Trinity. Just to give an example, when DB was breaking all those records between 1998-2001, the government did not give him anything. They gave him a pair of spandex when he ran 10.24 at the age of 16. If this was in the US or even JA, he would have been looked after better.

The good thing is that the gov't is supporting him now.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »

Steups

This is something I can agree with you on Trinity. Just to give an example, when DB was breaking all those records between 1998-2001, the government did not give him anything. They gave him a pair of spandex when he ran 10.24 at the age of 16. If this was in the US or even JA, he would have been looked after better.

The good thing is that the gov't is supporting him now.

Too little too late!
Maybe if they were supporting him from earlier he would not have suffered all those career damaging injuries!  :-\

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Half of brown's troubles came with those who advise him!  Take that to the bank!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
Half of brown's troubles came with those who advise him!  Take that to the bank!

would starting a T&F club that is well funded, sponsored & organized make a difference?

just asking a question as it seems the national association seems stuck in the past

truetrini

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 01:57:33 PM »
 Absolutely.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »

would starting a T&F club that is well funded, sponsored & organized make a difference?

just asking a question as it seems the national association seems stuck in the past

Yes. That is part of Jamaica's success.

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »

Nope. A club will have to be registered within the NAAAs and abide by their imposed rules. I think you have to do something different to a club and position the entity to provide services needed by the NAAA and its clubs. Make them your customer, not your overlord

truetrini

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »

Nope. A club will have to be registered within the NAAAs and abide by their imposed rules. I think you have to do something different to a club and position the entity to provide services needed by the NAAA and its clubs. Make them your customer, not your overlord

A club can make all the difference in teh world.  Once it serves as a model for professionalism and excellence.  Before you know it, others will emerge and then those who run those clubs will be in charge of the AAA"S

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »
One club only has so many votes. With existing alliances and loyalties it would take a while before voting is swayed away from the incumbents from a performance standpoint.

The most amenable way to go medium term is by convincing the private sector to invest (whether for community relations, public relations, or tax break purposes).

Here's an example today:
Scotiabank, T&TOC in $600,000 four year pact
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2011/07/28/scotiabank-ttoc-600000-four-year-pact-0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:59:24 AM by STMB »

truetrini

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 10:47:18 AM »
One club only has so many votes. With existing alliances and loyalties it would take a while before voting is swayed away from the incumbents from a performance standpoint.

The most amenable way to go medium term is by convincing the private sector to invest (whether for community relations, public relations, or tax break purposes).

Here's an example today:
Scotiabank, T&TOC in $600,000 four year pact
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2011/07/28/scotiabank-ttoc-600000-four-year-pact-0

That is the Olympic peeps...not jes track and field.

And I said one club can make all the difference in the world if it is as Controversial stated.    The athletes from that club will dominate etc.  Others will have to turn professional or go away...and eventually things will happen...certainly not a quick fix.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>