March 28, 2024, 08:07:06 AM

Author Topic: Toronto Caribana 2011 (or whatever else it's called)  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Toronto Caribana 2011 (or whatever else it's called)
« on: July 30, 2011, 04:33:19 AM »
Heading down now. Will be in Toronto Revellers so hail meh out if you have drinks! Doh worry.. I have a cup.

Make mas people!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Toronto Caribana 2011 (or whatever else it's called)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:17:14 PM »
have fun, be safe, drink plenty water after yuh head gone :beermug:

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
...liming down harbour front right now!!

Friday night was the BESS with Jouvay and 3 Canal!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:26:10 PM »
...liming down harbour front right now!!

Friday night was the BESS with Jouvay and 3 Canal!!

yuh lie

3 canal was dey?

that hadda be a bess lime oui  :beermug:

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
I hear dey killing ppl dey boi.. tru ting dat? I hear rell shot pelting....

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 03:46:56 PM »
I hear dey killing ppl dey boi.. tru ting dat? I hear rell shot pelting....

war
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/30/gunfire-mars-festival-of-joy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:31:47 PM by Quags »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 03:40:49 AM »
Some thoughts.

1. Why people need to bring they gun and attitudes to these places? Ah mean.. people out here the have fun man. What I hear (me eh read papers).. some fellas start ah skirmish, then shot ring out. A girl (early 20's I think got hit and a guy also got hit. Fella one wasn't so serious, but the girl in intensive care. Then the police (with warning) took the shooter down. Young people need to check the "attitude" at home and not walk rong as if they looking for thing. Is nuff of them I cross, but I too smart to fall into their trap.

2. Caribana is huge and I know it takes a lot of man power and planning to pull it off, but this year was very poorly executed when compared to others
- less police than normal
- use of private security who knows nothing about crowd control and since they not wearing iron on they side, no body eh studing them. As soon as people raise their voice, these "security" people turning a blind eye.. they eh want to get involved. I actually saw them opening up the gates/barricades for stormers.
- as soon as bands pass the 2nd judging point, the bands were overwhelmed by stormers. And paying masqueraders had to deal with real crowds in their bands.
- band leaders must provide better security and protection for their players
- why does every event have to start so late.. king and queen and the parade itself.. not sure bout pan as I still on my way to that one. Stand in the facking sun for 4 hrs before band got the clearance to hit the road and we were the 6th band... had 10 more to go after us.

3. I'm not hating, but hell broke loose when the trucks started the hip-hop thing. Love the hip-hop eh.. but not sure how much we keeping our culture going by not stickin to the soca thing.

4. Stormers... as a youth I was right up in dey, but now as I older (and paying).. I real vex. Spoil the lime for me/us real bad. I still dive into the 'mash" a few times though.. just had to have more attitude than them.

5. why is it every facking person with an official t-shirt (organizer) on, had to walk rong like the they own the thing? Doh even bother asking them any questions.. is real sour face and 2 word answer between the schupes.

6. The abundance of good food (a bit pricey but expected) is a treat and those vendors represented the culinary culture of the islands very well.

7. Band mas in Toronto could be much better, but at the same time as nice outlet if you missed Trinbago carnival. Like the effort the mas men put forward.. just needs polishing up a bit. Their presentations and quality of costumes can rank with any in trinbago.

We left early as we had to be back home to get fresh for wild water kingdom... but on our way out (btw if there was an emergency and people had to be evacuated.. that wasn't happening) we stood on the bridge at the end of the parade route and had to ask ourselves if this thing is just too big now.

BTW.. is the most back-fat I ever see on women in one place oui! I eh complaining .. under that had some nice bubble-nuts.

Yea... and I swear, it had about 10 women to every male in a band. no lie.. in our section we had only 8 fellas I think.. so was like buffet!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:44:44 AM by Jumbie »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
Some thoughts.

1. Why people need to bring they gun and attitudes to these places? Ah mean.. people out here the have fun man. What I hear (me eh read papers).. some fellas start ah skirmish, then shot ring out. A girl (early 20's I think got hit and a guy also got hit. Fella one wasn't so serious, but the girl in intensive care. Then the police (with warning) took the shooter down. Young people need to check the "attitude" at home and not walk rong as if they looking for thing. Is nuff of them I cross, but I too smart to fall into their trap.

2. Caribana is huge and I know it takes a lot of man power and planning to pull it off, but this year was very poorly executed when compared to others
- use of private security who knows nothing about crowd control and since they not wearing iron on they side, no body eh studing them. As soon as people raise their voice, these "security" people turning a blind eye.. they eh want to get involved. I actually saw them opening up the gates/barricades for stormers.
- as soon as bands pass the 2nd judging point, the bands were overwhelmed by stormers. And paying masqueraders had to deal with real crowds in their bands.
- why does every event have to start so late.. king and queen and the parade itself.. not sure bout pan as I still on my way to that one. Stand in the facking sun for 4 hrs before band got the clearance to hit the road and we were the 6th band... had 10 more to go after us.

3. I'm not hating, but hell broke loose when the trucks started the hip-hop thing. Love the hip-hop eh.. but not sure how much we keeping our culture going by not stickin to the soca thing.

4. Stormers... as a youth I was right up in dey, but now as I older (and paying).. I real vex. Spoil the lime for me/us real bad. I still dive into the 'mash" a few times though.. just had to have more attitude than them.

5. why is it every facking person with an official t-shirt (organizer) on, had to walk rong like the they own the thing? Doh even bother asking them any questions.. is real sour face and 2 word answer between the schupes.

6. The abundance of good food (a bit pricey but expected) is a treat and those vendors represented the culinary culture of the islands very well.

7. Band mas in Toronto could be much better, but at the same time as nice outlet if you missed Trinbago carnival. Like the effort the mas men put forward.. just needs polishing up a bit. Their presentations and quality of costumes can rank with any in trinbago.

We left early as we had to be back home to get fresh for wild water kingdom... but on our way out (btw if there was an emergency and people had to be evacuated.. that wasn't happening) we stood on the bridge at the end of the parade route and had to ask ourselves if this thing is just too big now.

BTW.. is the most back-fat I ever see on women in one place oui! I eh complaining .. under that had some nice bubble-nuts.

Yea... and I swear, it had about 10 women to every male in a band. no lie.. in our section we had only 8 fellas I think.. so was like buffet!

This is why I stayed down Harbourfront all day Saturday. It was concert after concert. Stick fight, traditional mas, robber talk, moko jumbie, pan galore, music...FOOD lawd PLENTY FOOD. This was just Saturday alone.  The amount of people at Harbourfront, I swear it didn't have people on the parade route.

I had a ball, and come next year, this will be the same plan. After seeing Trinidad Carnival, I know I woulda get vex if I saw the parade. Oh yeah and everything started on time. These organizers didn't miss ah beat with time. All the performers played for 1 hour 15 mins flat.

One thing through, I was so happy to walk around HF with a beer in hand (Canadian beer that is)!! Carib organized allyuh shit for next year nah man!! 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:08:17 AM by TriniCana »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 07:34:26 AM »
A little taste of Friday night!
Jouvay and ole Mas plus 3Canal in concert.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:44:34 AM by TriniCana »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
miss it this year although I was in TO all week. Moving chirren, sending one off on a plane to Japan on Staturday, helping set up apt for the other two. Only two a we home again (with the blasted cats).

Watched the parade on CP24 LOL. Real poor coverage.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
miss it this year although I was in TO all week. Moving chirren, sending one off on a plane to Japan on Staturday, helping set up apt for the other two. Only two a we home again (with the blasted cats).

Watched the parade on CP24 LOL. Real poor coverage.

yea, saw myself on cp24 when Revellers hit the stage.

yuh surrounded by pussy and complainin!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
Some thoughts.

wrong people in charge breds, always the case, they cannot organize and are not creative enough to make it better

trincana experience should be apart of every person's itinerary for caribana, its TT culture and adds value

i stopped going to the parade and playing mas in toronto is too disorganized

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 08:57:03 PM »

wrong people in charge breds, always the case, they cannot organize and are not creative enough to make it better

Don't get me wrong, I eh hating on the organizers.. I think at some point they have to come to the conclusion that this thing just too big. i stood there looking at the mass of people and tried to figure out what an effort it takes to pull this off with limited budget, constant in-fighting and for most part not everyone on on the same page (mas women, pan men, committee, sponsors, city/government, etc).. it was a bit humbling.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
Young people need to check the "attitude" at home and not walk rong as if they looking for thing. to go after us.

Wuss ting is the shooter is 30!!......thirty? and he ole ass still playin young gyangster

Leave dem fake bad boy ting for men 18-25....as far as I concerned if you bring a gun in yuh waist to a peaceful event and police smoke yuh ,,good riddance no questions asked.

agree on de back fat :D

Cana I was roughly in de same area whey yuh snap on the mokojumbie...I eh see no  camera woman in poompoom shorts,, ah go watch better next time.

And yes yuh right once yuh know carnival in T&T it does be hard to take in northern 'parade' versions......but de lime and gape at sub events does be good

.......lemmih go back to nursin mih ole man hangover
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »
Was in TO over the weekend but for a (non Caribbean) wedding weekend, so didn't get to take it in...

First time in Tdot though - nice vibes, must come back...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
Was in TO over the weekend but for a (non Caribbean) wedding weekend, so didn't get to take it in...

First time in Tdot though - nice vibes, must come back...

wedding was close to downtown?

you coulda pelt some rice....take a bus, buss a wine on ah baddest and be back in time for the cutting of cake
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
Young people need to check the "attitude" at home and not walk rong as if they looking for thing. to go after us.

Wuss ting is the shooter is 30!!......thirty? and he ole ass still playin young gyangster

Leave dem fake bad boy ting for men 18-25....as far as I concerned if you bring a gun in yuh waist to a peaceful event and police smoke yuh ,,good riddance no questions asked.

agree on de back fat :D

Cana I was roughly in de same area whey yuh snap on the mokojumbie...I eh see no  camera woman in poompoom shorts,, ah go watch better next time.

And yes yuh right once yuh know carnival in T&T it does be hard to take in northern 'parade' versions......but de lime and gape at sub events does be good

.......lemmih go back to nursin mih ole man hangover

I was in green actually, but time ah get hug up by 2 blue devils.. dey people and dem didn't want meh back in dey hotel  :-[

I was also liming plenty with the riddim section....

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »

you coulda pelt some rice....take a bus, buss a wine on ah baddest and be back in time for the cutting of cake

Yeah was real close...but I was just clueless about the scene and didn't have no setta bearing either so I overs...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
Some thoughts.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/y8cj9WQuZws&amp;NR=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/y8cj9WQuZws&amp;NR=1</a>
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »

Yeah was real close...but I was just clueless about the scene and didn't have no setta bearing either so I overs...

you were probably for the most 30  mins from the action, if that, yuh miss out breds

hard luck, next time, make sure yuh catch the action

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »
KanavalPoll

Brampton or Hamilton on saturday?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »
KanavalPoll

Nope, not even Barrie next week (or is that in two weeks?). I having my own carnival in London. I did invite Cana but she declined saying someting bout Jamaican woman.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
KanavalPoll

Nope, not even Barrie next week (or is that in two weeks?). I having my own carnival in London. I did invite Cana but she declined saying someting bout Jamaican woman.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »
KanavalPoll

Doh laugh!! He ain't lie nuh!!

Dem Amazon and dem not easy.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »
KanavalPoll

hahahahahahahaha  :rotfl: :rotfl: :beermug:  Dis early morning and me belly done hutting me

Doh laugh!! He ain't lie nuh!!

Dem Amazon and dem not easy.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BFszXZ3GWBM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BFszXZ3GWBM</a>

go to about 2:58
my daughter got her moment in the spotlight.
Dunno who she take after nuh...mussee de fadda because I so shy and ting.
 ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:29:46 AM by Socapro »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BFszXZ3GWBM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BFszXZ3GWBM</a>

go to about 2:58
my daughter got her moment in the spotlight.
Dunno who she take after nuh...mussee de fadda because I so shy and ting.
 ;D

very nice Queen.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:30:14 AM by Socapro »

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 01:37:48 PM »
thanks nutsman...
she was a real trooper. From the time we got on the GO train in Scarborough, people were stopping her to take a photo. She took it all in stride as if she was born to it. This was her first time playing mas and I didn't know if she would be fed up in 10 minutes. But madame lime whole day and even buss a social wine from time to time.
Time we reach back home I had to prop her up in the shower because she was bone tired...poor dahlin. But ah proud of meh lil Trini baby.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 06:16:52 AM »

nice, camera savvy at 7 years old...no verbal pauses or bashfullness...a future journalist if there ever was one

macomeh yuh groomin ah lil factory of media chirren up in de bush dey or wha?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:30:40 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>