March 28, 2024, 06:18:56 AM

Author Topic: Khaleem Hyland Thread  (Read 54708 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Khaleem Hyland Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2020, 04:46:21 PM »
Is it just me or is it that all T&T boys scoring since the new Admin take over? :whistling:

Yuh not alone.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »
WATCH: Khaleem Hyland with a delightfully weighted 35-yard pass to assist on Al-Faisaly's only goal in their 2-1 loss to Al-Ettifaq

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4OYSL8PoJU0?start=136" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4OYSL8PoJU0?start=136</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2020, 04:42:57 PM »
WATCH: Khaleem Hyland opens the scoring by blasting a right-footed shot into the roof of the net from 14 yds out during Al-Faisaly's 2-0 win over Al-Adalh

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/C5eeGyByptY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/C5eeGyByptY</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hyland stays positive, eager to see what the future holds
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2020, 03:35:21 PM »
Hyland stays positive, eager to see what the future holds
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago Senior Men’s Team Captain Khaleem Hyland is keeping busy and maintaining high hopes of wearing the National Colours in the future again at whatever time that may be.

With the Saudi Arabian Premier League currently on hold as well as all upcoming CONCACAF competitions including the CONCACAF Gold Cup playoff scheduled for June now postponed, Hyland is simply staying safe but remaining eager for what the future holds.

“It’s been difficult for everyone as not being able to play football is very hard to endure. I see everyone posting all this time without football and life is not normal. The supporters and players both here and at home have a challenging time to get through,” Hyland told TTFA Media.

The former Belgium-based midfielder spoke about recently appointed Men’s Senior Team head coach Terry Fenwick and his period working under him at San Juan Jabloteh during his teenaged days.

“Now we have a new coach. It’s been a while now Terry Fenwick has been aiming and hoping that he would get the job. Congratulations to him. I worked with him at a young age at Jabloteh and I know he is a very good person. He knows what he wants and he knows how to get information to players and get quality out of them. He tends to have his ideas and plans on board,” Hyland said.

“Hopefully we can all work for the best for our country and for our football to move onto the right track and hopefully we can move on to better ways, winning ways or to even a better structure that the past. The past is gone. Unfortunately things didn’t go as planned with Dennis (Lawrence). I wish him the best of luck. He is a great person also.

Hyland said it was imperative that all concerned moved in the same direction to take T&T’s football back to a form of respectability .

“We just have to look forward to the future and work hard as a team. Everyone needs to do their own homework also. It’s a new coach in charge now and everyone has a chance to show what they can do and bring forward the best towards the national team. We are representing the Red, White and Black and we need to do our best for our country. It is an honour to always wear the colours of Trinidad and Tobago.”

While football is out, Hyland has ensured his fitness remains intact.

“I’ve been going through my paces everyday, working hard, training hard The last couple months paid off with me getting on the scoresheet and the team doing great before Covid 19 took over.

“Right now here in Saudi Arabia and in the world everything is at a standstill and the league has been postponed. It is hard for me to be here with days off and I cannot leave the country and cannot fly to go and be with my loved ones. I have a couple friends here in Saudi Arabia and they make me feel at home away from home. The atmosphere in Saudi Arabia is still good and they are dealing with it well and taking the precautionary measures to ensure we are safe.

“I wish everyone the best of health and best of luck. We know the procedures we need to follow  to be clean and be healthy. We need to rally together as a country to get it all back on track. Hopefully we can live as one again as a country and as people in this world,” Hyland ended.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2020, 05:36:08 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago Captain Khaleem Hyland sends a message from Saudi Arabia to all of those who have been performing acts of bravery to assist during the Covid-19 pandemic

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JBcu8F6Dy5Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JBcu8F6Dy5Y</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 26, 2020, 06:56:18 PM »
WATCH: Several T&T citizens remain trapped in other countries due to the closure of our borders. One such person is National Football Captain Khaleem Hyland, who is currently in Saudi Arabia awaiting word on when he can return home.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qq0rQXgut_8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qq0rQXgut_8</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2020, 02:50:16 PM »
WATCH: Andre Baptiste interviews Trinidad and Tobago Captain Khaleem Hyland.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tzpYXNvc80E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tzpYXNvc80E</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hyland backs Fenwick
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2020, 07:37:20 AM »
Hyland backs Fenwick...let Englishman succeed or fail
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

SAUDI ARABIA-based senior national football team captain Khaleem Hyland believes Englishman Terry Fenwick should be given his chance as men’s head coach, despite the questionable circumstances surrounding his appointment last January.

Hyland comments came in a video interview on Andre Baptiste’s Sportalk show on I95.1 FM. Fenwick’s contract is said to be one of three documents signed by sidelined Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president William Wallace, but in so doing without final board approval.

“I think the right decision is to keep him as coach and if he fails it is a decision of the TTFA and, if he succeeds, then they can keep him on board,” stated the 31-year-old midfielder.

Hyland, who got his break in local professional football under the transplanted Englishman at San Juan Jabloteh, said Fenwick wanted to be T&T head coach for a long time and he deserves to at least get the opportunity. “I don’t think they should sack him (Fenwick) for whatever reasons that are going on,” Hyland opined. “He is the coach, so they need to give him his opportunity.”

Hyland credited Fenwick for bringing intensity to the team at San Juan Jabloteh when they won the Pro League in 2005. He also credited the Englishman for giving playing opportunities to young players.

“He shows that he knows what he is doing, at least at the club level in Trinidad and Tobago,” Hyland noted. “Hopefully, he can bring that to the national team... but I don’t think he can do it alone.”

Hyland called for all stakeholders to come together and rebuild football in T&T. He also endorsed the approach of T&T scouting players from abroad. He pointed out while there is no shortage of talent in T&T, that discipline and mental strength is often missing in some players.

“I would say maybe we don’t have the discipline and the mental strength to go with the talent,” stated Hyland, adding, “At the highest level of football, talent comes last. You need to have the discipline and will and the bad-mind to take you out of difficult situations.”

He said many Caribbean countries had improved significantly by scouting overseas players, citing Guyana as an example. He said the Guyanese resembled an English Championship Division team at the last CONCACAF Gold Cup.

“If we need to go outside and find other players with parents and grandparents from Trinidad and Tobago to make our football and our country stronger and better, so be it,” Hyland contends.

He is of the view that local players get onto the national team too easily these days, and that scouting foreign-born players increases competition and makes the team stronger. “I think we should, because a lot of other countries do it,” Hyland concluded.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2020, 12:48:36 AM »
Hyland tells Wallace: Look at the bigger picture.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

National football captain Khaleem Hyland has called on T&T Football Association president William Wallace to look at the bigger picture in his team's fight against the sport governing body FIFA to overturn its decision to appoint a Normalisation Committee and allow them (United TTFA) govern the country's football.

Hyland, speaking on the Andre Baptiste I.95.5 Programme on Saturday said he understands Wallace's fight for what he believes is right, but said at the end of the day there is need to look at the bigger picture, as their actions will not only affect them but an entire nation with younger ones, which will represent the future.

“The kids' dream is something that, we all have kids and we want them to live up to their dreams just as we did. I am a player now and coming down to age, it's a dream for me to go to a senior World Cup. I hope and pray that everything that's going on will resolve in the best way for the players, and I hope that the sanctions that FIFA wants to hand down will not happen.”

Hyland is set to lead a T&T team into the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers in October, where a more than manageable win in a group that comprises Guyana, St Kitts/Nevis, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas awaits them.

Hyland who plays professionally for in Saudi Arabia for Al-Faisaly, as a midfielder, said international football is an opportunity for many young footballers to receive caps to further their careers abroad and the sanctions can prevent that.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2020, 12:59:29 AM »

National football captain Khaleem Hyland has called on T&T Football Association president William Wallace to look at the bigger picture in his team's fight against the sport governing body FIFA to overturn its decision to appoint a Normalisation Committee and allow them (United TTFA) govern the country's football.

Hyland, speaking on the Andre Baptiste I.95.5 Programme on Saturday said he understands Wallace's fight for what he believes is right, but said at the end of the day there is need to look at the bigger picture, as their actions will not only affect them but an entire nation with younger ones, which will represent the future.

“The kids' dream is something that, we all have kids and we want them to live up to their dreams just as we did. I am a player now and coming down to age, it's a dream for me to go to a senior World Cup. I hope and pray that everything that's going on will resolve in the best way for the players, and I hope that the sanctions that FIFA wants to hand down will not happen.”

Hyland is set to lead a T&T team into the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers in October, where a more than manageable win in a group that comprises Guyana, St Kitts/Nevis, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas awaits them.

Hyland who plays professionally for in Saudi Arabia for Al-Faisaly, as a midfielder, said international football is an opportunity for many young footballers to receive caps to further their careers abroad and the sanctions can prevent that.
andre has really gone all out to help his fat ugly friend back into the leadership seat by ramping up his campaign to have WW walk away in peace. i hope hyland know that TT not going to the octagon, nor are they getting into the gold cup. they are a shit team that can't even beat the top four teams in CFU.

why don't they take the ban and reorganize football, fat david john willie don't care if we got banned either since it was his idea to sik giovani on us, so go ahead and do us a favor, ban us geo, what are you waiting for? do us all a big favor and bring on the ban. it's not like we have won anything in the last 15 years anyway, maybe this ban might just do us a world of good, like keeping our blood pressure at a healthy level.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 01:07:52 AM by pull stones »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2020, 02:00:38 AM »
Calling to look at the bigger picture when at the same time they missing the forest for the trees.

Wallace and them are indeed looking out for the long term good of the program.

Anybody who take Hyland point of view is like telling slaves don't revolt because one or two of them does get to work in the house from time to time.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 25, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
The ghost in the room is the absence of a key pillar: a players association with teeth.

I empathize with Hyland and Bateau. I would not want to miss out on a WC campaign based on long enduring f**keries --- particularly in a situation in which COVID-19 is allowing us a second chance after the ignorance of the post-Hart period.

However, in my view,  it wasn't strategically convenient nor necessary nor sensible for United TTFA to consult with players or coaches before taking action.  Are we serious? In a T&T in which someone was bound to talk and carry the information where it had no business being taken? Nah. Ultimately there's a price for dysfunction. And part of the dysfunction is no players and coaches association.  Having both could have faciliated more of what Hyland,  Bateau,  Eve and Hood have been concerned about. Maybe the time on-hand should be used to fill that breach.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 11:46:39 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 25, 2020, 12:59:19 PM »

The quote attributed to Hyland in the headline and the quote within the body of the article aren't exactly the same. Anybody listened to the program and could tell if those were Hyland's words? or from the context of what Hyland was saying was implying that Wallace etc should just back down (for the sake of players)? or was his suggestion more in line with what Look Loy is saying - It's a long game and the CURRENT score is 1-0 ...Fifa have the ball to kick off the 2nd half? (which i interpret to mean the case was about building leverage to negotiate a bigger position).

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2020, 12:15:20 AM »
Well, well, well. I am pleased to learn that coaches have decided that "one for all and all for one" must take the form of an organization that protects their interests.

I am cautiously encouraged although I am confused as to how a "minor mix-up" could result in a major fck up. National team coaches locked out from the stadium will preserve a stain of being  one of the worst public images of Trinidad and Tobago football and there have been several ugly ones.

The challenge of carrying out instructions crafted in a Mother Country has always been that the intellectual authors of the instructions are not the ones who have to dirty their hands at the point of delivery. Formation of the association suggests that morale is improving, but tlhe licks probably won't stop anytime soon. Players your turn.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
Midfielder Khaleem Hyland joins recently promoted Saudi Professional League club Al-Batin, on a free transfer from Al-Faisaly.

New 2-year Saudi deal for Hyland.
T&T Express Reports.

National team midfielder Khaleem Hyland has signed a two-year deal with Saudi Arabian team, Albatin FC.

Hyland, 31, has spent the last three seasons playing for Saudi clubs after beginning his international club career in Belgium. News of his new deal was revealed on T&T Sport Diary where the Carenage-born midfielder expressed elation to have started a new journey.

“I’m excited to start my new chapter, the club has a goal that they want to achieve and I’m on the same track to make them reach it,” he told T&T Sport Diary. “I’m feeling good, it’s a great deal for me and the club and hopefully, we can make history in the Saudi League like I did with my first club, Al Faisaly.”

T&T Sport Diary commented, “Hyland is also a major local stakeholder and a very important player at the national senior level so we definitely had to ask how he felt about the big decision today by the United TTFA to cease their matter against FIFA.”

Hyland, who has captained the national team on several occasions, replied: “I’m happy that the United TTFA looked at the bigger picture and the future for the kids and football. I hope we can build on this as a country and move forward to better things in the future.”

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 01:25:22 PM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »
Congrats, skipper!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 26, 2020, 01:05:26 PM »
WATCH: Khaleem Hyland 2020

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OGMpshvN5Cs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OGMpshvN5Cs</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hyland anticipates positive movements with Normalisation Committee in charge
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2020, 01:45:56 PM »
Hyland anticipates positive movements with Normalisation Committee in charge
T&T Guardian

Relieved by FIFA's decision to lift the suspension on the T&T Football Association (TTFA), Khaleem Hyland, the T&T senior men’s team captain is now anticipating a return to leading the national team.

Hyland, yesterday, paid tribute to former Argentina captain Diego Maradona, while observing the passion for the game in the South American country which he witnessed when T&T faced the 1986 World Champions in an international friendly in Buenos Aires in 2014.

“I want to pay respect and express condolences to the family, friends and ex-teammates of Diego Maradona. World football has lost a footballing God. It is a sad week for all of us. Everyone is grieving as he had a part to play in the lives of so many people regarding their love for the game. He was a dominant and inspirational figure to millions including myself,” Hyland said.

Reflecting on his experience on Argentina soil, the Saudi Arabia-based player continued, “It was so great to witness in Argentina how they worshipped Maradona and Messi with so many billboards and posters across Buenos Aires. Their passion for the game is immense and they always want the best for their team and the country.

"I hope one day I can live to see something similar in my country. But of course, we as players need to do our part and we as a country have to really put our heads together to lift ourselves.

“Everyone needs to come on board and we need to start from now knowing that the suspension is lifted. The Normalisation Committee (NC) is in charge and everyone involved needs to give the NC the fullest support and respect in order for us to do this for the country, thinking of the future generations.”

The midfielder, who played in the UEFA Champions League for Belgium club Racing Genk, stressed the importance of stakeholders putting the development of the local game above everything.

“It is important that we know at this time the path forward with FIFA assisting in overseeing our football. Right now, the Normalisation Committee is in charge. I have had good conversations with the chairman Robert Hadad on things we need to work on and how we can work together to achieve this,” Hyland said.

“I haven’t met him (Hadad) in person as yet but we have had some great conversations over video calls and he seems like a person who wants to improve the state of our football and a great guy. All the stakeholders need to come together as one to put T&T’s football back on the map and back to a respectable position. From partners, fans, coaches and players, we all really need to pull together and play our part.”

The former San Juan Jabloteh man intends to do his part, once called upon.

"It is always a pleasure and honour to represent T&T and a dream come true to not only play but to captain the national team. As a player, it is just about being able to give back everything and share my knowledge and experiences that I inherited from the older ones who I rubbed shoulders with both at home and abroad. Once I am still in good shape and strong-minded, I will always be available to play and contribute to my country.”

Touching on Maradona’s influence, Hyland spoke of the occasion which saw him and the rest of the T&T line-up being able to take the field at the famous Estadio Antonio Vespucio Liberti – better known as the Monumental. It is one of South America’s three great stadiums along with the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and the Centenario in Montevideo, Uruguay and has hosted some of the Argentinian national team’s most memorable games and provided a suitably dramatic setting for the opening match and the final of the 1978 FIFA World Cup, won by the hosts.

“It was great to play against Argentina just before the 2014 World Cup at a stadium where Maradona’s presence was strong so many times as a player and head coach of Argentina. The biggest players in the world played at that venue and played against us in that game. One of the world’s best Lionel Messi is an understudy of Maradona and we had that opportunity to take the field alongside him.

“In my life, I didn’t see a lot of Maradona live but I’ve always watched so many clips of him and his influence was massive. Playing against Messi was like playing against Maradona in many ways because of their similarities but of course, Maradona is Maradona and we will never see someone like him again,” said Hyland.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2020, 01:06:17 AM »
Let’s work together now, says Hyland
T&T Express Reports.

Trinidad and Tobago senior team captain Khaleem Hyland is anticipating a return to leading the national team, and says he is relieved that the recent suspension of this country from all international football has been lifted by FIFA.

“Everyone needs to come on board and we need to start from now knowing that the suspension is lifted. The normalisation committee is in charge and everyone involved needs to give the NC the fullest support and respect in order for us to do this for the country, thinking of the future generations,” said Saudi Arabia-based Hyland.

The midfielder who once played in the UEFA Champions League for Belgium club Racing Genk, stresses the importance of stakeholders putting the development of the local game above everything.

“It is important that we know at this time the path forward with FIFA assisting in overseeing our football. Right now the normalisation committee is in charge. I have had good conversations with the chairman Robert Hadad on things we need to work on and how we can work together to achieve this,” said Hyland.

“I haven’t met him (Hadad) in person as yet but we have had some great conversations over video calls and he seems like a person who wants to improve the state of our football and a great guy. All the stakeholders need to come together as one to put Trinidad and Tobago’s football back on the map and back to a respectable position. From partners, fans, coaches and players, we all really need to pull together and play our part,” says the former Jabloteh man.

He intends to do his part once called upon.

“It is always a pleasure and honour to represent Trinidad and Tobago and a dream come true to not only play but to captain the national team. For me as a player it is just about being able to give back everything and share my knowledge and experiences that I inherited from the older ones who I rubbed shoulders with both at home and abroad. Once I am still in good shape and strong minded I will always be available to play and contribute to my country.”

Touching on the late Diego Maradona’s influence on him, Hyland speaks of the occasion which saw him and the rest of the T&T line-up being able to take the field at the famous Estadio Antonio Vespucio Liberti – better known as the Monumental. It is one of South America’s three great stadiums along with the Maracana in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil and the Centenario in Montevideo, Uruguay and has hosted some of the Argentinian national team’s most memorable games and provided a suitably dramatic setting for the opening match and the final of the 1978 FIFA World Cup won by the hosts.

“For me it was great to play against Argentina just before the 2014 World Cup at a stadium where Maradona’s presence was strong so many times as a player and head coach of Argentina. The biggest players in the world played at that venue and played against us in that game. One of the world’s best Lionel Messi is an understudy of Maradona and we had that opportunity to take the field alongside him.

“In my life I didn’t see a lot of Maradona ‘live’ but I’ve always watched so many clips of him and his influence was massive. Playing against Messi was like playing against Maradona in many ways because of their similarities but of course Maradona is Maradona and we will never see someone like him again,” said Hyland.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hyland extends greetings and gratitude
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »
Hyland extends greetings and gratitude
TTFA Communications

While he may be far from home and away from his family, Saudi Arabia based national team captain Khaleem Hyland took time to issue greetings to the local football community and express gratitude to the Normalization Committee for fulfilling its commitment
to members of the Senior Men's team regarding outstanding monies.

Hyland and other members of the Senior Team received payments this week for past international matches under ex-head coach Dennis Lawrence.

"I just want to say thanks to everyone who played a part in getting the players their outstanding match fees before the Christmas season," Hyland told TTFA Media.

"They (Normalization Committee)  are also working at the moment on fixing  some other things ahead of the new year . We hope we can move forward from here all together and make a better future for everyone in our football," added the ex-Racing Genk player.

"I have been in contact from day one with Mr (Robert) Hadad to make this happen and he promised to give the guys the money once the problem was resolved and now we can say he made it happen and thanks again to him and the committee."

Hyland took the opportunity to also wish the T&T community a safe and happy holiday.

"I am still in Saudi Arabia longing to be with my family who I haven't seen for so many months. The situation here is not the best with the pandemic because of recent developments but we are coping. I want to wish everyone back home, persons in the FA and generally all my family the best for the season. Continue to stay safe and enjoy the rest of the year as best as you can. There is hope ahead so let's work towards a better year in 2021,"Hyland said.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hyland: We have to do our homework before next two games
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2021, 03:46:27 PM »
Hyland: We have to do our homework before next two games
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

'It's time for us to do our homework', national midfielder and captain Khaleem Hyland has said ahead of the team's two World Cup Qualifying matches against the Bahamas and St Kitts and Nevis on June 5 and 8, respectively.

The defensive midfielder told Guardian Media Sports recently that it is because St Kitts and Nevis did their homework that they are currently at the top of Group F of the qualifiers with six points from their two matches.

T&T are second in the group with four points from a win against Guyana 3-0 in the Dominican Republic and a 1-1 tie against Puerto Rico in Mayaguez, while the Guyanese rebounded to a more-than-convincing 4-0 win over the Bahamas after its disastrous performance against the Soca Warriors on March 25.

Hyland said: "We are disappointed but four points are better than none at all. We went into the game with hot blood, we did our job in the first 15 minutes and then we squeezed pressure on Guyana. The second game didn't go as planned because of a number of situations, where we can say it's two games in almost four to five days we played. Long travelling and long bus ride, but we want to have no excuse.

"It was heavy for me personally, it was a heavy day with the artificial turf which I don't like at all. Also, a lot of grain and water were on the pitch which was a bit discomforting for me.

"The result didn't go the way we wanted. I think we underestimated Puerto Rico by winning our first game so comfortably. Puerto Rico did their homework, now we have time to do our homework for the next two games," Hyland said.

With just the winner of the group advancing to the second round of the qualifiers, T&T will be favoured to beat a struggling Bahamian outfit on June 5, but could be in for a challenge against the Kittitians.

According to Hyland, however, the good thing is that they will have to face St Kitts and Nevis in an expected do-or-die clash that could determine the ultimate winner of the group.

"The situation is that St Kitts and Nevis is doing the job on the field. We still have to play them, that's the only good thing, so the ball is in our court and once we win our next two games, we will be on top of the table," Hyland said.

The steady T&T midfielder called for all efforts to be made by the powers that be, to have the game, expected to be the country's home game, to be played at home.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2021, 01:19:39 PM »
Hyland: 'I kept pushing. There was always Hope'

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZAnAJ8iAiUg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZAnAJ8iAiUg</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hyland: T&T Pro League is no professional league
« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
Hyland: T&T Pro League is no professional league
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

T&T's top tier football competition - the T&T Pro League - is anything but a professional league said national midfielder and captain Khaleem Hyland on Wednesday.

Though Hyland's career as a defensive midfielder began at long-standing Pro League outfit San Juan Jabloteh in 2008, the 32-year-old has pointed to several questionable situations that confuse him, inclusive of the number of players who are without an income presently, and who were not receiving salaries despite having contracts with clubs.

Recently, several players who were attached to clubs in the T&T Pro League and others, whose contracts in the League had expired, were requesting stipends from the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee while training with the senior national football team.

The more-than-steady defensive midfielder, who now plays for Al Batin in the Saudi Arabian League, revealed that he receives a weekly salary consistently, despite the challenges the league faces like any other.

He said: "I don't think we should call the T&T Pro League a professional league because it is not. It does not operate as a professional league. For instance, a professional league means players have contracts for a certain amount of time, and when the COVID-19 pandemic began, nobody's contract should have ended automatically.

"What should have happened is that they should have all come together and decide on a way forward, how to move forward, and how they should have gone about it. The players should have been getting paid for the entire period of their contract," Hyland explained.

Guardian Media Sports has been reliably informed that in the T&T Pro League, more than 90 per cent of the players and staff of the teams were not being paid due to the tough economic climate, together with the government's reluctance to fund the league until a proper business plan is produced by the management of the league.

Only La Horquetta Rangers, a team owned by businessman Richard Ferguson, paid their players throughout the pandemic to date.

Minister of Sports and Community Development Shamfa Cudjoe said her government will only invest in player and athlete development and will hold off on pumping more money into the T&T Pro League, having done so for the past 16 years.

Hyland said in Saudi Arabia it is similar to T&T and all over the world when it comes to professional sports and governments' input, but he made it clear that there is strict accountability.

He said he agrees that government should invest in the T&T Pro League, they should demand strict accountability from clubs, even if it means handing in their books.

He further called for the League to get up and running in the shortest possible time, pointing out that there are lots of young people who depend on it.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2021, 03:12:34 AM »
It is a good assessment. But again, tell us what we don't know already.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2023, 04:20:15 PM »
Hyland plays for Police FC now..

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2023, 10:44:12 AM »
After 15 years abroad, Hyland returns to 'put Police on the map'.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

FORMER Soca Warriors captain Khaleem Hyland made a return to the local football scene after 15 years when he debuted for Police FC in their TT Premier Football League (TTPFL) tier one match against 1976 FC Phoenix at the St James Police Barracks on Monday.

Hyland, 34, played 45 minutes in a 2-0 victory that propelled Police to fifth in the standings.

It was Hyland's first professional match in two years, with his previous game having come for T&T in a Gold Cup qualifier against French Guiana in July 2021. Injury ruled the then T&T captain out of the subsequent Gold Cup tournament.

The combination of covid19 and a contractual dispute with his former Saudi Arabian club Al-Batin, contributed to Hyland's two-year hiatus from the beautiful game.

"It was a hard time for me in terms of finishing my contract in Saudi Arabia in 2021. It was an unjust cause situation...It is sad I had to part ways in that manner," Hyland told Newsday.

Hyland said the two-year hiatus could have sent into him a "depressing state," as he was also away from his family during the period.

"I made a decision to take some time for myself before I go back to do anything concerning football," the bustling midfielder said. "I was training with the national team sometimes and I was also doing my little personal training. When you do not have a goal in life, it is very easy to call it quits.

"It has been a long time I have been grieving, and a lot of thoughts have been going through my head on whether I should continue or call it quits. I was just happy and fortunate enough that I could share the field with Police FC on Monday night and get my first 45 minutes."

With over 90 senior T&T caps to his name, Hyland is not ruling himself out of national duty, but he is taking his journey to fitness one day at a time.

"I have not officially retired from T&T football. I will always have love, passion and joy, and that is why I played from a young age and I have played so long for the T&T national team.

"I will not say I will never play for T&T again. Right now, I am not playing for T&T. I am now focusing on getting myself back in shape because I have not played since 2021. I am focusing on myself first before I could focus on anyone else."

Hyland, who left San Juan Jabloteh in 2008 to join Portsmouth's youth team in England, has joined seasoned Police campaigners such as Keron Cummings, Adrian Foncette, Joevin Jones, Mekeil Williams and current Soca Warriors standout right back Alvin Jones. Hyland says the Police team are like a "family" to him as he has "rubbed shoulders on the field with coaches and the players" for many years.

Under former coach Richard Hood, Police beat Terminix La Horquetta Rangers in the FCB Cup final in December 2019 to claim their first national title for 25 years. Police won the then-National League crown in 1990 and 1994. Hyland said it is time to "put Police back on the map."

"I have to take it day-by-day because we are not in control of our lives, God is in control of our lives.

"I am trying to give 110 per cent with Police FC every time I touch the pitch. When I am not on the pitch, I also try to help the younger guys with the experience I have gained over my years of playing international and professional football."

Police finished fifth in the inaugural TTPFL season with 39 points following a rough start to their campaign. This season, they have got five points from their first three games after back-to-back draws with Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC) and defending champions Defence Force, to go with their win over newcomers Phoenix.

"We have everything to play for. What I wish for Police FC, is that we have a healthy team throughout the season. Let us go out and work hard and enjoy the game and do what we love."

1]; } ?>