March 29, 2024, 09:47:11 AM

Author Topic: ''TOP GUNS' pull out senior champs!!!  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: ''TOP GUNS' pull out senior champs!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:30:56 PM »
Baptiste, Quow, Borel & Lucas pull out of T&T's trials
Tuesday, 09 August 2011 15:26 BY CLAYTON CLARKE, claytonrclarke@yahoo.com

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - T&T's inform sprinter Kelly Ann Baptiste, has pulled out of this weekend's T&T Sagicor National Athletic Championships.

Baptiste is among four top-notched athletes, who it has been reported, will not be participating in the two day meet, which will serve as Trinidad and Tobago's National trials for the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea later this month, from August 27 to September 4.

The 24 year old Baptiste, who on Saturday last finished second in the Samsung Diamond League Aviva Grand Prix in Crystal Palace, London, has asked to be exempted from the meet - along with 2009 World Championships men's 400m bronze medalist Renny Quow.

Fellow World Championships bronze medalist Josanne Lucas - who has not competed since sustaining an injury at the Central American and Caribbean Championships in Puerto Rico last month, is likely to also miss the meet.

Shot Putter Cleopatra Borel is the latest withdrawal. The two time Commonwealth medalist told Trackalerts.com on Tuesday, that she has opted not to participate, choosing instead to rest after her fifth place outing in London and head off to Daegu next week.

"I would have loved to compete", she said, "but I am tired and need some rest. In addition, there is some business I have to attend to before Worlds."

Double Olympic silver medalist Richard Thompson has not yet confirmed his participation. A source close to Thompson directed Trackalerts to Thompson's manager Emmanuel Callender, who said, "At this moment we are not sure if he is participating, we've tried unsuccessfully to contact him up to last (Monday) night.".

Keston Bledman also has not confirmed whether he will run. The 2005 World Youth bronze medalist is expected to clash with Thompson in the men's 100m, in a rematch of last year's finals, where Thompson took his second straight National 100m crown.

Meanwhile Emmanuel Callender has confirmed his participation and Marc Burns is expected to arrive in T&T on Tuesday.

When contacted, the president of T&T's NAAA, directed Trackalerts to Secretary Allan Baboolal, chairman of the Games committee.

Efforts to reach Baboolal were unsuccessful.

De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad - T&T's inform sprinter Kelly Ann Baptiste, has pulled out of this weekend's T&T Sagicor National Athletic Championships.

Baptiste is among four top-notched athletes, who it has been reported, will not be participating in the two day meet, which will serve as Trinidad and Tobago's National trials for the World Championships in Daegu, South Korea later this month, from August 27 to September 4.

The 24 year old Baptiste, who on Saturday last finished second in the Samsung Diamond League Aviva Grand Prix in Crystal Palace, London, has asked to be exempted from the meet - along with 2009 World Championships men's 400m bronze medalist Renny Quow.

Fellow World Championships bronze medalist Josanne Lucas - who has not competed since sustaining an injury at the Central American and Caribbean Championships in Puerto Rico last month, is likely to also miss the meet.

Shot Putter Cleopatra Borel is the latest withdrawal. The two time Commonwealth medalist told Trackalerts.com on Tuesday, that she has opted not to participate, choosing instead to rest after her fifth place outing in London and head off to Daegu next week.

"I would have loved to compete", she said, "but I am tired and need some rest. In addition, there is some business I have to attend to before Worlds."

Double Olympic silver medalist Richard Thompson has not yet confirmed his participation. A source close to Thompson directed Trackalerts to Thompson's manager Emmanuel Callender, who said, "At this moment we are not sure if he is participating, we've tried unsuccessfully to contact him up to last (Monday) night.".

Keston Bledman also has not confirmed whether he will run. The 2005 World Youth bronze medalist is expected to clash with Thompson in the men's 100m, in a rematch of last year's finals, where Thompson took his second straight National 100m crown.

Meanwhile Emmanuel Callender has confirmed his participation and Marc Burns is expected to arrive in T&T on Tuesday.

When contacted, the president of T&T's NAAA, directed Trackalerts to Secretary Allan Baboolal, chairman of the Games committee.

How is Quow going to qualify? He does not have an A standard as yet?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
"I would have loved to compete", she said, "but I am tired and need some rest. In addition, there is some business I have to attend to before Worlds."  ...............well I tell you !
When the government giving away my money next year  want ah say in dat yes !
Is trinidad & tobago ...you build up de fans then last minute major players kyah make it ... an injured runner getting exempt as well ?? if you eh fit for this week you eh go be fit for no world games ...you was staying home !
I wonder if these athletes realise that the fans can make or break them ?? if yuh get boo dong next time yuh come home doh vex !

Let me see how de Minister go handle this since he said money is conditional on running at the national championships

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »

Like dey fraid Brung ??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline keelz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »
hmm,ya could be how good in jamrock,,if u dont compete in the trials ''ya nah mek de team''

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »

Like dey fraid Brung ??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Imagine if RT skip the trials and DB and MB get better than 10.01. If I was RT I would not take any chances.

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:18:53 AM »

How is Quow going to qualify? He does not have an A standard as yet?

Quow has qualified already as this year's CAC Champion. All Area Champions qualify automatically for Worlds even if they haven't made the A standard

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:24 AM »
"I would have loved to compete", she said, "but I am tired and need some rest. In addition, there is some business I have to attend to before Worlds."  ...............well I tell you !
Is trinidad & tobago ...you build up de fans then last minute major players kyah make it ... an injured runner getting exempt as well ?? if you eh fit for this week you eh go be fit for no world games ...you was staying home !
I wonder if these athletes realise that the fans can make or break them ?? if yuh get boo dong next time yuh come home doh vex !

Let me see how de Minister go handle this since he said money is conditional on running at the national championships

Fans can't make or break athletes anymore than their OWN N.S.O. can. And the NAAA forced the athletes to MAKE this drastic decision to prevent them from BREAKing our athletes! This is no surprise whatsoever to people in the loop like me. The athletes have colluded to protest the DOTISH decision of the NAAA to keep this meet this weekend. Plain talk, Bad Manners!

The same so-called fans will boo the same athletes when they flop in Daegu because Trials two weeks before Worlds messed up their training programme. Anybody who ever heard the words "periodization" and “peaking” would understand why this decision is the most idiotic one ever taken in the history of local athletics.

Don't be fooled by Cleo's admittedly lame excuse about being tired and having other things to do. The athletes have decided once and for all to show these incompetent, indolent, impotent officials that Ephraim Serrette and Alan Baboolal are not nearly as important to the National public as our athletes are.

Let's see these trip happy officials drop our pride and joy from the National Team for missing Trials if they think the public is on their side so much. Let them keep Kelly-Ann Baptiste off this team after the season she has had. I DARE THEM!

As for the Minister of Spalk, he would be well reminded that his statement about athletes having to compete at Trials to get funding came at the Media Launch for these said Championships; the same media launch where his Perm Sec promised the Track would be ready in time for the end of June. How did that turn out?!

Anil would be well advised not to write cheques with his mouth that his Ministry can’t cash. Because the fact is our Elite Athletes are yet to receive their funding for this year. So he can’t play wrong and strong on two fronts. It is not the athletes’ fault that the Ministry waited until Machel got the so-called fans to ADVANTAGE the track before trying to relay it in the rainy season. And he ought not to buss up his beak about withholding funding when his Ministry has NO MONEY to even run a Sports Camp or a Swim Meet!

But if you don’t want to take my word for it then think about this. Will the Perm Sec Mr. Ashwin Creed allow the NAAA to drop his prize discovery Richard Thompson? Will he allow the Ministry or SPORTT to withhold funding from his Rebirth protégé? I think not and if I’m right then they have to send all of them to Daegu because what’s good for one is good for all!

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 12:49:45 AM »
No exemptions for Thompson, Quow
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 10, 2011 ECT
Story Updated: Aug 10, 2011 at 2:32 AM ECT

Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Cleopatra Borel have been granted exemptions and will skip this weekend's Sagicor National Senior/Open Track and Field Championships, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, in Port of Spain.

Baptiste has been in fine form this season. The Plymouth, Tobago sprinter is fifth on the 2011 International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) women's 100 metres performance list, at 10.91 seconds, and has enjoyed victories over reigning Olympic sprint champions Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Veronica Campbell-Brown, both of Jamaica.

Borel is seventh on the 2011 IAAF women's shot put performance list, at 19.42 metres. She has thrown 19 metres or better in four of her ten outings this season.

But while Baptiste and Borel received favourable responses to their exemption requests from the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA), Olympic 100m silver medallist Richard Thompson and World Championship 400m bronze medallist Renny Quow have been blanked.

NAAA president Ephraim Serrette told the Express yesterday that Thompson's application for an exemption was denied because there are six athletes who have attained World Championship qualifying standards in the men's 100m, and only three spots are available on the team.

Keston Bledman heads the list with a 9.93 seconds dash. Thompson (10.01), Aaron Armstrong (10.13) and Rondel Sorrillo (10.18) have also achieved the 10.18 seconds "A" standard, while the 10.25 "B" standard has been attained by Emmanuel Callender (10.19) and Darrel Brown (10.22).

While Quow is Trinidad and Tobago's fastest 400m runner this year, at 45.43 seconds, and qualifies for the World Championships by virtue of being the 2011 Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Senior Championship men's 400m gold medallist, the 23-year-old quarter-miler has not achieved the 45.25 seconds "A" standard in 2011.

"The executive met," Serrette explained, "and decided not to grant exemptions to Thompson and Quow. Because of the large number of qualifiers in the 100, the head-to-head meeting at the Championships will be used to decide on the three."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »

Jah gol I hear and understand your point fully, but forgive me if I am in the athletes's corner on this topic in question. If the trials were held in June as originally planned, I would be firmely in opposition of the stance that these athletes are taking, but that is not the case. IMO the minute the NAAA realized that trials were not going to be able to take plce until the absolute alst moment, an executive decision should have been taken to scrap the trials this year, and select the team by commitee. For the exception of the men's 100m(fortunately), this would have been a clear cut and bachannal free process.

It is totally unfair to the athletes and also shows a serious level of ignorance of elite level training by the top brass of the NAAA to even contemplate organizing a trials at this time of the season. Preperations at this stage of the game is very fine tuned and specific and racing should be the last thing on your plate 2 weeks removed from the champs, not to mention the lost training time due to travelling.  At this stage of the game, the only time away an athlete should be having away from their individual preperations, is for a relay camp....nothing else!!!
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 04:29:00 AM »
If the trials were held in June as originally planned, I would be firmely in opposition of the stance that these athletes are taking, but that is not the case.

Sums it up.  :beermug:

Offline trace1906

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 04:31:17 AM »

You can't be serious! :o I won't even elaborate

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 05:15:57 AM »
On the athletes side with this one. They can't expect our athletes to have to peak twice in the matter of a few weeks- it is unfair. If the champs were in June then fair enough that would warrant criticism but look when it is... ALL other nations have had their champs and are in the final preparation stages whereas we are now having ours.... then when our athletes flop in come the critics some who we never seen before all of a sudden come not even leaving one word of encouragement... nonsense if you ask me.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »

please elaborate so I can follow what you disagree with ... Is it that the Minister of sport was misquoted ? that fans are not always getting the end of the stick ( after the many adverts on Tv etc. we are now hearing that some athletes have applied for an exemption, when they knew that new dates for the games some time now  )? That one athlete is quoted as saying ..inter alia ...that she has some business to attend to before worlds ?  Just what do you not want to elaborate on here ?

Offline Paceman123

• Full Warrior
  • The talent to be a great runner is a gift from Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »
This late Trials Only Helping one Athlete here and that is Brown like it or not lol ..the man is becoming better with races under the belt. Had it happen in June he was never on that Team but now he has a chance to be on the team and even run the individual 100m. I give every athlete the right to do what they feel is right 2 weks before is riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidickkkkkkkkkkuuuuuuuuuLUSSSS

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
Many are not going to like what I have to say about this. I think the NAAA made a good decision by not to giving RT a bye. His sb of 10.01 does not warrant a bye. If he had run a 9.8s or low 9.9s then I could understand.

I think with the reemergence of DB and the return of MB means that all spots for the 100m are up for grabs.

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »
steups.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 07:13:52 PM »
My steups not aimed at DB, but at the N3As

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
My steups not aimed at DB, but at the N3As

mine too...is real shit dey doing

Offline trace1906

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 04:14:56 AM »

please elaborate so I can follow what you disagree with ... Is it that the Minister of sport was misquoted ? that fans are not always getting the end of the stick ( after the many adverts on Tv etc. we are now hearing that some athletes have applied for an exemption, when they knew that new dates for the games some time now  )? That one athlete is quoted as saying ..inter alia ...that she has some business to attend to before worlds ?  Just what do you not want to elaborate on here ?

If it wasn't made obvious by all the other comments on this thread and previous threads regarding how ridiculous it was to set trials within 2 weeks of the World Championships and how detrimental it would be to our medal hopes then i guess i have elaborate. Better yet I will quote what i disagree with from your comment, especially since you have not mentioned it in your effort to justify its validity. And i quote, "I wonder if these athletes realise that the fans can make or break them ?? if yuh get boo dong next time yuh come home doh vex !"(end quote). Doh hate on d players, hate d game, this is by no means the athletes' faults. It's unfortunate that the male sprinters are in this predicament, however the powers that be had a right to take all these things into consideration b4 they started their immense project. Not to say that it's not a good thing to upgrade the track but they definitely cut it too close to nationals and i'm sure the start of the rainy season was not in somebody's back pocket like how Patrick Manning had d last election and nobody knew until he was ready to reveal it. And then...you couldn't finish in time for a June nationals (which by the way each and every athlete was surely going to be present at saving serious injury) a postponement had to take roughly 2 months? We like too much 23rd hour business in this country. Hope they learn from this one. At least you know dey not coming before you buy yuh ticket so you and all fans are in a position to give THEM (meaning the NAAA) de end of the stick.   

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 04:49:32 AM »
Thompson home for National Champs
By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Aug 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM ECT
Story Updated: Aug 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM ECT

Richard "Torpedo" Thompson did not expect to be in Trinidad and Tobago this weekend.

The double Olympic silver medallist and his agent, American Emanuel Hudson, wrote a letter to the National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA), seeking permission to skip the Sagicor National Senior/Open Track and Field Championships. The request was denied, forcing Thompson to return home to compete for a place on the T&T team for the August 27-September 4 World Championships, in Daegu, Korea.

Thompson will be on show at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, in Port of Spain, tomorrow, opening day of the National Championships, bidding for a hat-trick of men's 100 metres titles.

"I'm ready for the weekend," Thompson told the Express, yesterday. "I'm not focusing on a time too much...just to get in there and qualify for the team. Sub-10 would be nice, but I'm not focusing on it."

Thompson said that following a conversation his father, Ruthven Thompson, had with NAAA president Ephraim Serrette, he was hopeful of being granted an exemption from the Championships.

Serrette, though, told the Express he gave no commitment and advised that a written request be forwarded to his organisation. The letter was submitted, but the executive committee of the NAAA turned down the request.
Six weeks ago, Thompson slammed the decision to stage the National Championships in mid-August, just two weeks ahead of Worlds. Nationals were originally scheduled for June 25 and 26, but had to be pushed back to August 13 and 14 because the laying of the new track at the Crawford Stadium had not been completed.

Thompson said the new local dates would put T&T athletes at a disadvantage at the global meet.

Hopeful that his consistency this season would have earned him an exemption, Thompson proceeded with his regular training schedule.

"When you look at my performance all year, I haven't run below ten, but I'm consistent at 10.0. Based on that, I felt I should have been exempted."

Thompson has bettered the 10.18 seconds World Championship "A" qualifying standard nine times in 2011. Five of those clockings were faster than 10.10: a season's best 10.01 at the Prefontaine Classic, in Oregon, USA; 10.09 and 10.05 at the Aviva Grand Prix in Birmingham, England; 10.06 in Lignano, Italy; and 10.09 at the Aviva London Grand Prix, last Friday.

Keston Bledman has also bettered 10.10 seconds five times this season: 10.09 in Ponce, Puerto Rico; a personal best 9.93 in Florida, USA; 10.09 in Reims, France; 10.09 at the Aviva Grand Prix in Birmingham, England; and 10.05 in winning gold at the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Senior Championships, in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico.

"They (NAAA) replied with a letter," Thompson explained, "saying that it's very difficult to select the team based on performances during the year.

"No disrespect to the other athletes, but apart from Keston and me, no one else has been consistent with the "A" standard. Darrel has not achieved the "A" standard. (Rondel) Sorrillo has the "A" which he ran a couple months ago (May 14), but his last race was 10.37. And Aaron (Armstrong) has run 10.13.

"We have always had a Championship," the 26-year-old track star continued, "not trials, so to say it was mandatory to run is strange to me. Obviously, they don't care about athletes. They care about having a Senior Champs loaded with the best athletes. I think it's very inconsiderate to hold the Championships this weekend.
"It's not that I think I'm better than anyone and feel I don't have to come home. I was very prepared to come back home in June. That was in our plans...we set our schedule and tailored our programme. But we have to miss days of training to be here now. Everybody's getting thrown off. But I know God does everything for a reason. I'm still focused on the goal, which is two weeks away."

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:35 AM »
Unprofessionalism at its best, consistently throughout discipline
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>