April 27, 2024, 11:20:08 PM

Author Topic: 'Heterosexual Pride Day' in São Paulo?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Heterosexual Pride Day' in São Paulo?
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
By Andrew Downie
Correspondent

São Paulo, Brazil  — Brazil already has some of the world’s biggest and most vibrant gay groups, with millions of people taking to the streets all across this South American nation to celebrate their sexual identity in gay pride marches.

Now, in a move blasted as discriminatory by some and farcical by others, councilors in Brazil’s largest city São Paulo have voted to introduce a rival "Heterosexual Pride Day."

The man behind the move, Carlos Apolinário of the right-wing Democrats Party, said he didn’t want a parade to celebrate heterosexuality on the third Sunday of December, the day chosen to mark the occasion. He did, however, feel compelled to make a symbolic move to shore up Brazil’s eroding “morals."

Mr. Apolinário, who has the support of Brazil’s powerful Protestant church lobby, said, “The creation of Heterosexual Day does not symbolize a struggle against gays but against what I believe are excesses and privileges.”

Opponents shot back saying the move was nothing short of divisive homophobia.

“This project creates a separate category and enhances the possibility of discrimination and prejudice,” said Ítalo Cardoso of the rival Workers’ Party. “I hope that the day soon arrives when we don’t need more laws to defend gay rights.”

The bill must be approved by Mayor Gilberto Kassab in order to become law, but Mr. Kassab has not said if he will approve it or not.

While São Paulo is home to a vibrant gay scene, homophobia is a constant concern. The legislation comes just a few weeks after a conservative congressman in the capital Brasilia courted controversy by apparently calling blacks promiscuous, and then declaring himself proud to be prejudiced against gays. And last month a group of youths attacked and maimed a father they thought was gay because he hugged his teenage son.

A homosexual is killed every 36 hours in Brazil, according to the Gay Group of Bahia, Brazil’s oldest homosexual rights organization. The number of gays killed has risen 113 percent over the last five years, the group said.

The bill also comes as São Paulo struggles to build on advances of the past decade. Murder rates, though still high, have plummeted and a series of progressive actions were introduced that made the often gray city a brighter place to live.

But residents can justifiably ask why city councilors are spending time on "Heterosexual Pride" measures, rather than attacking the city’s long documented problems.

The biggest metropolis in the southern hemisphere with more than 20 million people, São Paulo suffers from chronic air and noise pollution, has some of the world’s most notorious traffic jams, and is "home" to thousands of street people who roam the often freezing city center.

It has inadequate rail, metro, and road links; faces devastating floods each year due to the lack of investment in infrastructure; and is in danger of missing out on the 2014 World Cup because its preparations are so far behind schedule.

This article, "'Heterosexual Pride Day' in in São Paulo?" first appeared on CSMonitor.com.

© 2011 The Christian Science Monitor

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: 'Heterosexual Pride Day' in São Paulo?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »
Thanks for posting!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:09:15 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
personally, as much as I support equity for LGBT folks, I dont think much of any Pride parades, including hetero pride parades.

I think the parades do a disservice to the gay community as it propagates all the negative stereotypes that they have to deal with. 

The negative backlash it generates far outweighs the "feel good" sentiments that the participants may experience during the parade.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 10:35:34 AM »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 10:48:45 AM »
personally, as much as I support equity for LGBT folks, I dont think much of any Pride parades, including hetero pride parades.

I think the parades do a disservice to the gay community as it propagates all the negative stereotypes that they have to deal with. 

The negative backlash it generates far outweighs the "feel good" sentiments that the participants may experience during the parade.

Wouldn't you say they do themselves that disservice ?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »

yeah ... since the parades are organized by the gay community

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »

yeah ... since the parades are organized by the gay community
Cool. A couple of my favourite comedians/philosophers Patrice Oneal and Louis C.K. were making the point that people should reserve the right to make fun of other people when they do weird things. People need to get over themselves a lil bit, the gays included. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:54:44 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »

Disagree with everything you say there especially the last sentence. 

What negative stereotypes do the parades propagate?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
 "The gays"?

A bit like saying "the blacks" ruining Caribana by perpetrating negative sterotypes yes?. As much as I doh have stomach for gown men making assholes (no pun intended) of themselves half-naked and smeared in lipstick and rouge wining on a float, is it really accurate project these traits onto a wider community?

A long time friend was involved in organizing Toronto Pride day. She assures me that the organizers of pride face very similar issues of competing agendas, representation and funding that Caribana does. E.g. both are partly funded by large Canadian banks (TD Waterhouse and ScotiaBank), and corporate sponsorship always wants something back. In both cases that is maximum exposure to a large audience through spectacle.

I know for a fact that TD encourages pride organizers to cater to a small group of flamers and cross dressers to display themselves full tilt because it brings attention, good and bad. But that is not representative of the 'community'. Much of the original pride organizers have left because they believe commercialization has ruined the original intent of the parade.

In my opinion its comparable to the situation in 'ScotiaBank Caribbean Festival' where some people are beginning to believe that the parade is an exercise in licentiousness and violence. So do 'the blacks' do themselves a disservice by holding a parade too?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:25:39 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »

Disagree with everything you say there especially the last sentence. 

What negative stereotypes do the parades propagate?

... that homosexuality is just about physical sex. That is a stereotype that I feel permeates the homophobic community as well as the others who claim to be accepting of the "homosexual" lifestyle but who at the same time, believe it to be a matter of a choice that is morally wrong.

HOWEVER, in an effort to prove that the Pride parade focused on physical sex, I searched you-tube to find some videos that showed this. To my pleasant surprise, the four videos that I found did not do so. What they did show was a bunch of people advocating that homosexuality is a natural part of human sexuality. The 5th was more revealing, but no more so than Caribana.  The display of overt sexuality was not predominant as i thought it would be.

So I was wrong.

I am beginning to conclude that the media is the one propagating the stereotype that the Pride parade is all about sex. Because that is what I believed the Pride parade to be focusing on.  Based on this limited sampling, I am revising my opinions.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »

In my opinion its comparable to the situation in 'ScotiaBank Caribbean Festival' where some people are beginning to believe that the parade is an exercise in licentiousness and violence. So do 'the blacks' do themselves a disservice by holding a parade too?

see my comments above.  I think the media has more to do with the propagation of stereotypes that anything else.

I mentioned to a business associate that there was a shooting on caribana Saturday. His response was pure stereotypical: "what's new? aren't there shootings every year?"  I had to correct him

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »

... that homosexuality is just about physical sex. That is a stereotype that I feel permeates the homophobic community as well as the others who claim to be accepting of the "homosexual" lifestyle but who at the same time, believe it to be a matter of a choice that is morally wrong.

HOWEVER, in an effort to prove that the Pride parade focused on physical sex, I searched you-tube to find some videos that showed this. To my pleasant surprise, the four videos that I found did not do so. What they did show was a bunch of people advocating that homosexuality is a natural part of human sexuality. The 5th was more revealing, but no more so than Caribana.  The display of overt sexuality was not predominant as i thought it would be.

So I was wrong.

I am beginning to conclude that the media is the one propagating the stereotype that the Pride parade is all about sex. Because that is what I believed the Pride parade to be focusing on.  Based on this limited sampling, I am revising my opinions.

Yeah I don't think the parade in itself (i.e. management, organizers, sponsors etc) is/are responsible for or in total control of what ends up forming the most memorable images coming out of the pride parades...and I would highly doubt that their mission was to propagate such stereotypes.  The bottom line is that the gay community is a diverse community, and just like in non-pride parades, certain types of behavior just make a bigger impression than others...just like how some people would tell yuh that playing mas is for hedonistic drunkards...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>