March 28, 2024, 10:14:32 AM

Author Topic: FIFA Is Said to Open Corruption Cases Against Caribbean Soccer Officials  (Read 7363 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA Is Said to Open Corruption Cases Against Caribbean Soccer Officials

By Tariq Panja - Aug 8, 2011
bloomberg.com

Soccer’s governing body will start corruption proceedings against more than 10 Caribbean officials after a probe into allegations they took money from a candidate in its presidential election, according to two people familiar with the matter.

FIFA on July 26 gave the officials from the Caribbean Football Union 48 hours to come forward with information about a meeting where Mohamed Bin Hammam, a one-time challenger to FIFA President Sepp Blatter, allegedly offered envelopes stuffed with $40,000. Bin Hammam, the former head of soccer in Asia, is appealing the lifetime ban he was given from the sport.

Zurich-based FIFA’s ethics panel will meet today and is likely to bring the cases after more witnesses came forward to give details of the May 9 and 10 meeting at a hotel in Port-of- Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, according to one of the people with knowledge of the investigation. The pair were granted anonymity because they weren’t authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

“We cannot speculate on what will happen,” FIFA said in an e-mailed statement. Ben Spencer, a spokesman for the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, didn’t respond to an e-mail or telephone messages seeking comment.

Bin Hammam became the highest-ranked soccer official to be excluded from the sport on July 23. FIFA has spent a year trying to deal with corruption allegations linked to the presidential election as well as the choice of host for the World Cup, which brings in $4 billion.

Warner Quits

One of FIFA’s vice presidents, Trinidad-based Jack Warner, quit the sport after being suspended pending the investigation into him and Bin Hammam. He arranged the Qatari’s meeting with the CFU and the duo were first suspended May 29. FIFA dropped its case against Warner, saying “the presumption of innocence is maintained,” following his withdrawal from the sport. Warner was also head of Concacaf, the regional body.

The new cases would lead to the largest mass suspension of officials in FIFA’s 107-year history. Six officials were suspended in October after allegations of vote buying linked to World Cup bidding.

The inquiry has been led by former U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation director Louis Freeh.

FIFA told the officials they would face less severe punishment should they come forward with information on the case. The Caribbean authorities may get lifetime bans if they were found to be withholding information. Some of the attendees have changed their stories about what happened, according to one of the people.

‘Zero Tolerance’

“Truthful and complete reporting will be considered in mitigation by the ethics committee when deciding on potential sanctions,” FIFA said last month. “Any person who has relevant information but does not come forward during this 48-hour period will be subject to the full range of sanctions.”

Blatter secured a fourth four-year term unopposed after Bin Hammam, the only other candidate, withdrew. Blatter promised a “zero tolerance” approach to fighting wrongdoing upon re- election on June 1.

Cuba was the only member of the 25-strong CFU that didn’t send a delegate to the Trinidad meeting where Bin Hammam pitched for votes. Officials from nine countries told investigators they had accepted or were offered envelopes full of cash. The remaining 15 denied any knowledge of the incident or refused to take part in the probe.

“Many cases, which look very simple, are not as simple as they look and this one could be a complicated case,” Guido Tognoni, a former adviser to Blatter at FIFA, said in a telephone interview.

‘Flimsy’ Evidence

Bin Hammam, 62, said he’ll appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and Swiss civil courts if FIFA doesn’t overturn his ban, which he claims is based on “flimsy” evidence. On Aug. 4, he complained about the time taken to publish the reasons behind his suspension.

“This delay is suspicious in that it gives FIFA the time to devise a justification for a decision that it was always going to make anyway,” he said on his blog. “This is also outrageous as FIFA has been quick to publicize my guilt while holding up my opportunity to appeal.”

The ethics committee will also hear a case against Lisle Austin, a Barbados official who briefly replaced Warner as head of Concacaf. He’s alleged to have broken FIFA statutes concerning taking legal action in civil courts. All disputes must be settled by governing bodies or the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport, according to FIFA. Ryan Toohey, a spokesman for Austin, wasn’t immediately able to comment.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
That's like Stalin leading an investigation into the atrocities being committed by his generals. I really hope people aren't buying into these smokescreens.. jokes upon jokes.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Smokescreen or not, this could be serious for T&T. "The Caribbean authorities may get lifetime bans if they were found to be withholding information."

Lets be honest, if we all had to bet on whether TTFF gave evidence against Jack, we'd all win. Again, Camps is in a Catch 22 situation. If he gave evidence, he would upset Jack who could cause Camps all kind of pain, and if he doesn't, T&T could be banned for life.

My question is this: They say the authorities could be banned, but thats not really fair on the nation they represent. Remember, govt can't tell TTFF what to do. TTFF is a private company. So, does it mean that all members of TTFF could be banned and a new Federation would be formed? Could be a Godsend for T&T football.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Smokescreen or not, this could be serious for T&T. "The Caribbean authorities may get lifetime bans if they were found to be withholding information."

Lets be honest, if we all had to bet on whether TTFF gave evidence against Jack, we'd all win. Again, Camps is in a Catch 22 situation. If he gave evidence, he would upset Jack who could cause Camps all kind of pain, and if he doesn't, T&T could be banned for life.

My question is this: They say the authorities could be banned, but thats not really fair on the nation they represent. Remember, govt can't tell TTFF what to do. TTFF is a private company. So, does it mean that all members of TTFF could be banned and a new Federation would be formed? Could be a Godsend for T&T football.

The "authorities" (meaning the individuals who withheld information) could get a lifetime ban... not the Federations.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

The "authorities" (meaning the individuals who withheld information) could get a lifetime ban... not the Federations.
:beermug:

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Yea, first sentence said "against more than 10 Caribbean officials", so this may be the end of Camps. I think FIFA is merely ridding all means by which JAW can still indirectly be calling de shots in Caribbean football.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yea, first sentence said "against more than 10 Caribbean officials", so this may be the end of Camps. I think FIFA is merely ridding all means by which JAW can still indirectly be calling de shots in Caribbean football.

Camps was among the first to cooperate though... he flew to the Bahamas to meet with Freeh and his people.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile

This is exactly what is happening. . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

This is exactly what is happening. . .

Could be yes and no. It is all about who is the king maker. FIFA/Blatter possibly resent the power that Concacaf has had as a block of votes and this is a way to shore up a political hole. It could also be a way of ensuring that the replacements are people who are "more like minded" and easier to control politically. At the end of the day "who has more corn feeds more CFU fowl."
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The greatest cause for concern iz whether or not fifa would ban the countries that these federation presidents represent. and to me FIFA would do something like that against relatively unknown federations such as ours.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA Is Said to Open Corruption Cases Against Caribbean Soccer Officials
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 07:20:25 AM »

Camps was among the first to cooperate though... he flew to the Bahamas to meet with Freeh and his people.

Indeed, but what did he say in evidence? If he went with the "Ah done see nuttin" approach, then he could be one of the ten.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
All Jack's soldiers being removed. This leading to a new Concacaf. One that Blatter can control, as was never the case in the past....Concacaf controlled him.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:15:50 AM »
The greatest cause for concern iz whether or not fifa would ban the countries that these federation presidents represent. and to me FIFA would do something like that against relatively unknown federations such as ours.

Yuh like to worry too much! FIFA is going after the federation leaders in CONCACAF who were controlled by and are still inclined to be loyal to Jack!

Best case scenario is that Camps will be banned for life for helping to facilitate the bribe just as Jack would have been if he did not resign before the outcome!

The TTFF won't be banned because if they ban us they will have to ban most of the other Caribbean federations who came to that meeting in May and entertained the cash gift!

FIFA is going after the leaders of the Caribbean federations who weren't being entirely honest about the cash gifts! Once those leaders are replaced and FIFA gives the appearance that they are cleaning up their act and stamping out corruption then FIFA business will carry on as usual.

Everyone here who cares about T&T football should welcome this move from FIFA with open arms as T&T football stands to benefit in the long term if Camps is forced against his will to step down!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:57:12 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
Watch out for  TTFF colleagues of Scampito to back stab him, twisting de knife slowly inside, as files are releasd to FIFA on what went dong with Jackula, Bin Hamman and de res' of de brown envelope posse.  What a time we are livin' in. Eh!

Keep watching for the eventual end of Scampito, not far in the furure.

Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
Some how I don't feel Camps accepted any envelope! If there was one it could have been kept by other officials ,so he could just be exonerated because of the figure head  role he plays as President! It might just work in his  favor because of this!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Some how I don't feel Camps accepted any envelope! If there was one it could have been kept by other officials ,so he could just be exonerated because of the figure head  role he plays as President! It might just work in his  favor because of this!

I dunno what going on with these men who feel Camps go get banned...  allyuh really feel Camps was in that bribe thing?  At best he was present to see what went on.  Jack wasn't passing Camps ah envelope full ah money only fuh Camps to have to turn around and give it back to him.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »

No need 2 buy Scamps vote so no brown envelope. Jack howver, get a suitcase full ah money 2 organize d happenings in d HYATT.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

They may try to get Camps on the same thing that they were planning to get Jack on before he resigned, i.e. Facilitating a bribe as president of the TTFF. This charge on Camps may not stick but it might be worth a try as part of FIFA's effort to completely get rid of Jack's influence in the CFU & CONCACAF by removing his yes men.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:11:35 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
Yeah Camps probably eh hol' dong no brown envelope but he probably knows who did and many other secrets.
Watch de space.  Dis go be interesting  :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
All the pressure is brought to bear upon Camps. Only a matter of time before "fall guy" is toasted.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 04:19:13 AM »
I wonder If one Mr Horace Burrell is sleeping well at nights? This is a guy who has done alot for JAmaica's football, but at the same time, he is not much different from Jack Warner in many ways.

Very interesting. Whereas you guys would love to see the current TTFF go down, I beleieve in Jamaica its the opposite...I strongly feel that if Burrell is kicked out of office, JAmaica can kiss Brazil 2014 goodbye. Not that I dont have faith in our players, but now is not the time to have the Federation in limbo.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 06:00:33 AM »
I wonder If one Mr Horace Burrell is sleeping well at nights? This is a guy who has done alot for JAmaica's football, but at the same time, he is not much different from Jack Warner in many ways.

Very interesting. Whereas you guys would love to see the current TTFF go down, I beleieve in Jamaica its the opposite...I strongly feel that if Burrell is kicked out of office, JAmaica can kiss Brazil 2014 goodbye. Not that I dont have faith in our players, but now is not the time to have the Federation in limbo.
      Well said. :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »

Translation:
I wish Jack was still here, he was good for T&T football.
You heard it from RF yourself, he said Jack & Burrell are similar so if Burrell is good for Jamaican football then it’s only logical that Jack was good for T&T football.
We are suffering now because my good friend Jack is no longer involved, it good for allyuh!!

Ah get the translation correct Coop's?!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 09:30:05 AM by Socapro »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »

Translation:
You heard it from RF yourself, he said Jack & Burrell are similar so if Burrell is good for Jamaican football then it’s only logical that Jack was good for T&T football.
We are suffering now because my good friend Jack is no longer involved, it good for allyuh!!

Life must go on Coop's things must change, other people must come to the for front. Maple and Malvern not forces any more.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Bajan Lisle Austin banned for 1 year by FIFA
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
Disciplinary Committee bans six match officials for life and Lisle Austin for one year
(FIFA.com) Wednesday 10 August 2011

The FIFA Disciplinary Committee, under the chairmanship of Marcel Mathier (Switzerland), met yesterday, 9 August 2011, to examine two cases, one related to the official Lisle Austin (Barbados), and the other related to the match officials Sinisa Zrnic, Kenan Bajramovic and Rizah Ridalovic (from Bosnia-Herzegovina), and Kolos Lengyel, János Csák and Krisztián Selmeczi (from Hungary).

In the first case, the committee decided to ban Lisle Austin from taking part in any football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) for a period of one year for lodging a claim related to football matters in front of the ordinary courts in the Bahamas, constituting a breach of art. 64 par. 2 of the FIFA Statutes. Lisle Austin had been provisionally suspended by the chairman of the Disciplinary Committee on 4 July 2011, the date from which the one-year suspension will start to be counted.

The Disciplinary Committee also decided that should Lisle Austin not withdraw the claim lodged in front of the ordinary courts in the Bahamas definitively and irrevocably, he will remain banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level in accordance with art. 22 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code for as long as the legal proceedings in ordinary courts are pursued. However, the ban of one year is to be served independently from such possible withdrawal.

Meanwhile, the six match officials (Sinisa Zrnic, Kenan Bajramovic, Rizah Ridalovic, Kolos Lengyel, János Csák and Krisztián Selmeczi) have all been banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) at national and international level for life. The officials were found guilty of breaching art. 62 par. 2 (passive corruption) and art. 69 par. 1 (unlawfully influencing match results) of the FIFA Disciplinary Code. The breach was committed in relation to the international “A” friendly matches Bolivia-Latvia and Estonia-Bulgaria played in Antalya (Turkey) on 9 February 2011.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »

Translation:

Life must go on Coop's things must change, other people must come to the for front. Maple and Malvern not forces any more.
        You are so correct,the government going to run Football and teams like NE Stars,QPFC,T&TEC,Joe Public will be the new forces,it's just a matter of time before the crowds come out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »
I never thought Camps received a brown envelope. He almost definately was aware of a gift distribution, who made it and who took them. This is the evidence FIFA require and will ban him for if he doesn't comply.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »
what about the money that dish out, where is it?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »
what about the money that dish out, where is it?

And doh forget the money that they couldn't dish out because it was refused!

Its possible that some folks already have their lawyer money put aside in case they need to pay for a top lawyer to defend them from making ah jail!  :devil:

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 02:06:25 PM »
Austin banned by FIFA over lawsuit
CMC

ZURICH, Switzerland,  CMC – Senior CONCACAF vice-president, Lisle Austin has been slapped with a year-long ban by football’s world governing body FIFA, in the latest fallout from the scandal that has wrecked Caribbean football.

The ban was imposed on Austin by the disciplinary committee after the Barbadian challenged his overthrow as acting CONCACAF president in a Bahamas law court back in June.

Austin had been installed as acting president of the of the governing body for football in North, Central American and Caribbean area following the suspension of former football magnate Jack Warner amidst corruption allegations.

“The committee decided to ban Lisle Austin from taking part in any football-related activity (administrative, sports or any other) for a period of one year for lodging a claim related to football matters in front of the ordinary courts in the Bahamas, constituting a breach of art. 64 par. 2 of the FIFA Statutes,” FIFA announced yesterday following a meeting of the Disciplinary Committee on Tuesday.

“Lisle Austin had been provisionally suspended by the chairman of the Disciplinary Committee on 4 July 2011, the date from which the one-year suspension will start to be counted.”  FIFA also added that the ban would remain in place for as long as the matter remained before the courts.

“The Disciplinary Committee also decided that should Lisle Austin not withdraw the claim lodged in front of the ordinary courts in the Bahamas definitively and irrevocably, he will remain banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level in accordance with art. 22 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code for as long as the legal proceedings in ordinary courts are pursued,” the statement continued.  “However, the ban of one year is to be served independently from such possible withdrawal.”

Austin’s short period in charge of CONCACAF was marked by acrimony as he attempted to fire controversial general secretary Chuck Blazer, and also found himself embroiled in a fight with the executive committee in order to stay in charge.

The executive committee eventually toppled Austin for an apparent breach of FIFA statues but Austin hit back accusing forces of “waging a war” against him.

The latest action by FIFA comes on the heels of a life ban imposed on Qatari Mohamed bin Hamam last month, after the former Asian Football chief was found guilty of corruption.

He had been accused, along with Warner, of offering US$40 000 bribes to Caribbean Football Union members at a May meeting in Trinidad, in exchange for votes at the June 1 FIFA presidential election in which he was a candidate.

Warner subsequently resigned as a FIFA vice-president, and CONCACAF and CFU president, and had all charged against him dropped.

1]; } ?>