April 16, 2024, 11:40:58 AM

Author Topic: De Leon: T&T should forget Brazil 2014.  (Read 5736 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
De Leon: T&T should forget Brazil 2014.
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:24:39 AM »
De Leon: T&T should forget Brazil 2014.
By: Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Former national midfielder Leroy De Leon says the T&T Football Federation and the ‘Soca Warriors’ should forget about trying to qualify for the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil and instead focus on 2018 or 2022.

De Leon, rated as one of the best midfielders all-time for T&T said in terms of qualifying for Brazil 2014 he had a big problem. “My problem is I don’t think we should try and qualify for Brazil but instead we should put things in place for 2018 World Cup Finals in Russia and beyond.

He explained, “Right now I don’t think we have the calibre of players to qualify or to perform at that level to get to a World Cup Finals and that’s just my point of view. “I have seen it all over the world and if you look at all the oriental countries, their football have gone sky high.

“This is because they took time and hired coaches to come in and coach their coaches and to put a proper system in place from infants all the way up.

“But here in T&T we are not doing that and we are just looking for ready made answers and its driving me crazy because a lot of the people right now on our national teams still have problems with the basics of the game like trapping the ball and that's a problem.”

“If you want to be good at any thing it comes by repetition where you have to be doing it every day. We do it part-time and we want to get four, five six million dollars. Its not done that way, only in T&T so I  am saying forget about 2014 and lets put things in place for 2018 and beyond.

“After the 2006 Germany World Cup there was a big void and we had to bring back guys like Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke and other old guys in our bid to qualify for South Africa 2010.

“We were the oldest team in Germany and four years later we basically had the same team trying to qualify for another world cup which showed we don't have any thing in place in terms of structure”.

With regards to the 2014 campaign...asked how far he believes the team can reach, De Leon replied, “To be honest with you I really don’t know. Maybe this new coach (Otto Pfister) is a miracle worker  but I really don't know.

He said: “I’m not trying to take anything away from the players we have or the talent that we have here because I don't think its their fault. I blame us as elders and the T&TFF for the demise right now because we don't have anything at the ground level.”

Leroy DeLeon.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: De Leon: T&T should forget Brazil 2014.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:56:15 AM »
Calibre of players to qualify !!!! - steups... bull shyte !!!!

Say de right thing De Leon, we dont have de calibre of people in de TTFF for us qualify !

And once de same people stay there, in 2018 it go be de same story, forget Russia, focus on Qatar....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:38:14 AM »
Well said Dilly......Vey well said.

Ive said it before many times.......we players simply not good enough!!!

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »
Calibre of players to qualify !!!! - steups... bull shyte !!!!

Say de right thing De Leon, we dont have de calibre of people in de TTFF for us qualify !

And once de same people stay there, in 2018 it go be de same story, forget Russia, focus on Qatar....

I agree with Sam...this defeatist attitude alyuh have...

WE have talent and we have quality players..our administration has screwed us over royally though

Right now I'm very sure WE don't even know what our best team is

The last time a full strength (or close to) Trinidad and Tobago team played was in 2009.

And to say that our players not good enough is also spitting in the face of the core of our under 23 side who went to back to back youth world cups and probably hungrier than perhaps even some of our seasons vets to go back and prove themselves on the world stage.

Call me optimistic, but it never hurt to try.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:31:03 AM »
Statements like this makes no sense to me. It will always be better to try than to not try at all. And to besides trying  to reach Brazil will only help the team be better prepared for 2018. What will he rather us do ??? sit down and do nothing for four more years ??? yeah this will really help us for 2018  ::)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:36:11 AM »
Arazi I agree with you 100%. We have the players but it calls for the will to get them together for friendlies and picking the best teams for International tournaments. When was the last time we saw Birchill, Roberts Hyland. Samuel and a host of others in a T&T shirt. The irony is this- The special adviser said that for T&T to make a world cup the bulk of the players must play at a higher level abroad and we need a foreign coach with experience. Yet we have been going with a local squad and a inexperience local coach.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:02:18 AM »
There is no way we not going to play in the qualifying game. If we decide to pull out we will get a fine fine. The problem is the preparation. The national team is controlled by the TTFF. The TTFF controlled by jack and managed by his designated have FAIL to prepare this team properly. IT IS NOT THE PLAYERS FAULT. WE have the special advisor with multiple position. His advisor cannot or would not make crucial decisions until they get the green light from him. All the time the players and coaches waiting and waiting and waiting. The final result is were going to play India in a friendly in prep for Bermuda and Guy. I have not issue with the game. But since the game against Chile what have the TTFF arranged. Nada. If our guys make the Hex it will be a small miracle. If they make it to Brazil, I will repent!!!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:35 AM »
While I empathise with the sentiments expressed, I disagree with the conclusion. I won't delve in to why because posters above have addressed aspects supporting my view, and likely other posters will chime in with the residual aspects that have not been addressed thus far. Certainly, of all WC campaigns, Brazil 2014 should not be the campaign in which we capitulate or acquiesce with respect to the TTFF.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »
Leroy De Leon is only partly right.  We must try to qualify, but we need to have a clear objective that the long term goal of a continued improvement of our team is always on the backs of developing players and not on over the hill veterans.  His point about being the oldest team in 2006 and trying to qualify with almost the same team in 2010 is spot on.  There should always be a way of including U-23's mixed in with a team of older experienced players. 
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
its the ttff that is the problem and why we cannot qualify, we have an abundance of talent >:(

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:19:07 PM »
Waht is De Leon suggesting really .........that we not even playu in the qualifiers ?? Abandon the 2014 campaign completely?

Regardless if we're soundly beaten........experience is something cant be gained by watching the game!

:beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:21:43 PM »

LOL......Dais de only part you see he say?

De Leon mad. I will even go so far as to say that things nowhere different from past campaigns. This is exactly how we have done it before. When did Beenie come on board for 2006? We might even be ahead by our standards.  :) No preparation and jump into the thing. Wha allyuh worried 'bout. This is TnT.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:26:13 PM by Socafan »
Two islands are better than one.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »

LOL......Dais de only part you see he say?

De Leon mad. I will even go so far as to say that things nowhere different from past campaigns. This is exactly how we have done it before. When did Beenie come on board for 2006? We might even be ahead by our standards.  :) No preparation and jump into the thing. Wha allyuh worried 'bout. This is TnT.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ttGmcn64Pro" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ttGmcn64Pro</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »
i eh read it yet...but is Too Too

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
There is money to be made.

You have 6 second round games

6 Semi Final Round Games

and then 10 Final Round Games

Ok you might not qualify but by giving up you losing out on potential gate receipts..advertisments, friendly match income, sponsorship etc.

You don't have to be the best...just good enough to keep moving fwd.

Each target is set clear as day...and the playoff match is extra bonus income too.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
Statements like this makes no sense to me. It will always be better to try than to not try at all. And to besides trying  to reach Brazil will only help the team be better prepared for 2018. What will he rather us do ??? sit down and do nothing for four more years ??? yeah this will really help us for 2018  ::)

My thoughts exactly. Why do you have to give up on 2014, to put things in place for 2018 and beyond? Makes no sense.

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
These are the kinda article you don't want kids to read... Just giving up because a task seems to be difficult? not even going to finish reading this article steups.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »

The federation is responsible for the governance and development of the game . The players aren't good yeah but who's responsible for development of coaching in the country.Does the federartion even gave policy for youth football outside national teams ?

Only this year the  federation held a C level Dutch coaching license for secondary school coaches. I welcome the course but I mean is 2011. The state of the game is directly a result of the inertia of the Federation.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
In a perfect world the TTFF would use all its resources in the most efficient manner possible to fund its world cup and olympic qualifying campaigns and to develop the next generation of footballers.

In the world we ACTUALLY live in the TTFF is incompetent and broke, and likely in a strong deficit condition....there is no money!!! The football system is even more broken. One should never capitulate in the face of challenges, but neither can football move forward without openly and honestly addressing certain shortcomings. If you can't afford the mortgage on your house, why go out and try to purchase a luxury car on top of that?  

People have been complaining about football in this country for decades now. I have yet to hear a meaningful self-assessment from the federation and a plan to move forward based on such. If taxpayers are content with the status quo and whore ourselves out for a short-term jump-and-wine in Brazil, well great. I will always cheer for T&T regardless, But just remember this...there will be certain indviduals waiting in the wings for exactly that to happen.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »
 I dont agree.. b.c in football 2+2 is almost never 4 but rather 3 or 5

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
so it goes to show,,,, even the greats does occasionally suffer with "diarrhea of the mouth" disease..

Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
Well said De Leon. WE DO NOT HAVE THE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »

So you are agreeing that we do not have the players to try then?!

Nice message to the youths, doh even bother to try because yuh not good enough!!

I heard the same thing from certain folks when we started our 2006 WC Qualification campaign!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
Dilly get plenty heat on this one. Though I too believe that his theory is flawed I will say though that I understand his "Let's live to fight another day" thing. However even he should know that there is no controlling this "other day" nor can we guarantee the outcome of the day. In retrospect, we should be trying as was suggested by many to win small battles leading up to a bigger war. If we don't make it to Brasil. Fine! Let this campaign at least be the litmus paper for greater things to come. Personally I don't see the government paying 315k per month to Otto for the next 8 years but after he is gone, if at least a descent coach is put in place under Otto (Like Latas) then there might be some continuity in the program that would see us in a better position for 2018. P.S. I know I just suggested Latas as the follow-up coach but ah picking the lesser of the worse. Ah don't want it to be Anton who takes over because then we doomed more!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
Dilly get plenty heat on this one. Though I too believe that his theory is flawed I will say though that I understand his "Let's live to fight another day" thing. However even he should know that there is no controlling this "other day" nor can we guarantee the outcome of the day. In retrospect, we should be trying as was suggested by many to win small battles leading up to a bigger war. If we don't make it to Brasil. Fine! Let this campaign at least be the litmus paper for greater things to come. Personally I don't see the government paying 315k per month to Otto for the next 8 years but after he is gone, if at least a descent coach is put in place under Otto (Like Latas) then there might be some continuity in the program that would see us in a better position for 2018. P.S. I know I just suggested Latas as the follow-up coach but ah picking the lesser of the worse. Ah don't want it to be Anton who takes over because then we doomed more!

They still owing Latas money just like they still owing our 2006 WC Warriors they bonus money!!

How much abuse yuh want one man to take?!

If Latas has any sense he will stay as far away as he can from T&T football while them fellas still in charge!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:40:41 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »

They still owing Latas money just like they still owing our 2006 WC Warriors they bonus money!!

How much abuse yuh want one man to take!!

If Latas has any sense he will stay away from T&T football while them fellas still in charge!

Dem fellas owing the world. lol
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »

So you are agreeing that we do not have the players to try then?!

Nice message to the youths, doh even bother to try because yuh not good enough!!

I heard the same thing from certain folks when we started our 2006 WC Qualification campaign!

I eh sure Small Change meant that beyond an observation about quality ... buh fuh sure, the "players" argument doesn't impede minions from competing. Play de fitball. If dais de case ... why do we even have a preliminary round in CONCACAF qualifying?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »
In a perfect world the TTFF would use all its resources in the most efficient manner possible to fund its world cup and olympic qualifying campaigns and to develop the next generation of footballers.

In the world we ACTUALLY live in the TTFF is incompetent and broke, and likely in a strong deficit condition....there is no money!!! The football system is even more broken. One should never capitulate in the face of challenges, but neither can football move forward without openly and honestly addressing certain shortcomings. If you can't afford the mortgage on your house, why go out and try to purchase a luxury car on top of that?  

People have been complaining about football in this country for decades now. I have yet to hear a meaningful self-assessment from the federation and a plan to move forward based on such. If taxpayers are content with the status quo and whore ourselves out for a short-term jump-and-wine in Brazil, well great. I will always cheer for T&T regardless, But just remember this...there will be certain indviduals waiting in the wings for exactly that to happen.

This is precisely how I interpret DeLeon's message... sometimes is just best to pull the plug and reboot.  TTFF eh have no money right now (or so they say) so it eh really make sense fuh guvament to be throwing money at football, the state we in right now.  Frankly, I don't disagree with that.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »
This is precisely how I interpret DeLeon's message... sometimes is just best to pull the plug and reboot.  TTFF eh have no money right now (or so they say) so it eh really make sense fuh guvament to be throwing money at football, the state we in right now.  Frankly, I don't disagree with that.

That's how I interpreted it as well. It's hard to pull the plug now but we should be definitely start grooming our U17 and U20 team for 2018 and 2022. We need to allocate some of whatever little resources to their development and I'm not talking about the jokey training but by having a PLAN with goals for us to attain and implementing a system similar to the seniors.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:24 PM »
My only disagreement comes from the fact that yuh have to make hay while the sun shines and once we have the players at our disposal then the sun is shining. I don't agree with DeLeon that we don't have the talent but only that de TTFA is A%^Holes. The government is putting an A$$hole proof plan in place to ensure the people get what they want and the TTFA doesn't get what it wants. It seems win win. Listen to the voices in the last week. change is coming soon to a TTFA near you. Lets all just keep up the pressure. Don't let this one be swept under the rug. Let's keep it in the public's eye and Scamps and dem days numbered. For all of those who is on the If Jack around me aint want no part bandwagon.. guess what Jack is not around and once his cronies gone then please reset the thinking.
If we take the bull by the horners (lol) then we can ensure ourselves that our local dollars is going towards our the sport and not the scamps and hornermen.
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>