April 29, 2024, 08:56:37 AM

Author Topic: Black Man Killed by White Kids  (Read 5641 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Black Man Killed by White Kids
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:00:41 PM »
Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA

By Drew Griffin and Scott Bronstein, CNN Special Investigations
August 8, 2011 -- Updated 1849 GMT (0249 HKT
)

Jackson, Mississippi (CNN) -- On a recent Sunday morning just before dawn, two carloads of white teenagers drove to Jackson, Mississippi, on what the county district attorney says was a mission of hate: to find and hurt a black person.
In a parking lot on the western side of town they found their victim.
James Craig Anderson, a 49-year-old auto plant worker, was standing in a parking lot, near his car. The teens allegedly beat Anderson repeatedly, yelled racial epithets, including "White Power!" according to witnesses.
Hinds County District Attorney Robert Shuler Smith says a group of the teens then climbed into their large Ford F250 green pickup truck, floored the gas, and drove the truck right over Anderson, killing him instantly.
Mississippi officials say it was a racially motivated murder. What the gang of teens did not know was that a surveillance camera was focused on the parking lot that night, and many of the events, including the actual murder of Anderson, were captured live on videotape.
CNN has exclusively obtained that surveillance tape. The group of teens that night was led by 18-year-old Deryl Dedmon, Jr., of Brandon, Mississippi, according to police and officials.

Deryl Dedmon, Jr., right, could face two life sentences in connection with the killing. John Aaron Rice, left, has been charged with simple assault.
"This was a crime of hate. Dedmon murdered this man because he was black," said Hinds County District Attorney Robert Shuler Smith. "The evidence will show that."
Asked if there could be any doubt whether the intent was to actually hurt and kill a black person, Smith responded: "No doubt about it. They were going out to look for a black victim to assault, and in this case, even kill."

Racial Issues
Dedmon led and instigated the attack from early in the evening, he took part in the beating of Anderson, and Dedmon was also the actual driver of the Ford 250 truck that would serve as the murder weapon, according to officials.
As the teens were partying and drinking miles away from Jackson that night, in largely white Rankin County, Dedmon told friends they should leave, saying "let's go f**k with some niggers," according to law enforcement officials.
Then, the gang of teens climbed into Dedmon's green truck and a white SUV Cherokee, and drove 16 miles down Interstate 20, to the western edge of Jackson, a predominantly black area.
The teens would have seen Anderson immediately as they exited the highway, as the parking lot where he was standing is just beside the exit ramp.
"This is the first business that you get to coming off the highway and so that was the first person that was out here and vulnerable," said district attorney Smith.
On the videotape, obtained and reviewed by CNN, the group of teens is seen pulling into the parking lot, and stopping where Anderson is standing, though he is just off camera and not visible.
The teens can then be seen going back and forth between their cars and Anderson. Witnesses told law enforcement officials this is when the repeated beatings of Anderson took place.
Dedmon pummeled Anderson repeatedly as he crumpled to the street, according to officials, though this is not visible in the videotape. Finally, after the beating some of the teens left and some got into the green truck.
At this moment on the video, Anderson becomes visible, as he staggered into view and walked towards the headlights of the truck. The truck suddenly surges ahead, running over Anderson, then continuing at high speed away from the scene.
Shortly after he allegedly drove the truck over Anderson, Dedmon allegedly boasted and laughed about the killing, according to testimony given by some of the teens to detectives.
"I ran that nigger over," Dedmon allegedly said in a phone conversation to the teens in the other car.
He repeated the racial language in subsequent conversations, according to the law enforcement officials.
"He was not remorseful he was laughing, laughing about the killing," said district attorney Smith.
Later that morning, James Craig Anderson's family learned their 49-year-old brother and son died in a hit and run. Only later, when witness statements were taken did they learn the real horror.
"It appears there is no doubt that this was a racially motivated killing," said Winston Thompson, the attorney representing Anderson's family. "The family is still in shock still in disbelief."
Smith and officials in the Hinds County District Attorney's office say they plan to indict Dedmon for murder and a hate crime.
Deryl Dedmon is thin, weighing a mere 130 pounds, and short -- at 5 feet; he has straggly blond hair and piercing blue eyes.
The teen, just 18 years old, has been charged with murder and now faces a possible double life sentence. Calls to Deryl Dedmon's attorney have gone unanswered.
During a bond hearing his attorney told the court he saw nothing to back up the "racial allegations."
At Dedmon's home, a girl who answered the door pretended not to know him though the pick-up truck he allegedly used as a murder weapon sticks out of the family's garage.
Police say they returned it after the vehicle was processed. A second teen, 18-year-old John Aaron Rice, has been charged with simple assault, for his part in the beating his attorney also did not return calls.
Neither teen has entered a plea.
The other teens in the group have not been charged.
And James Craig Anderson's family has decided to remain silent for now, trying to come to grips with a crime they thought was in Mississippi's past: the murder of a man just because he was black.

Video and Report Here

Video is very graphic.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Black Man Killed by White Kids
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
Sad...innocent man just like that. Hopefully justice prevails.

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 06:10:44 AM »
steups....it is just sad that this kinda $h!t still happening  :(

Deryl Dedmon  ???

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
stink muddaf**kers
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »
" The teen, just 18 years old, has been charged with murder and now faces a possible double life sentence. "

Enjoy ! The black men will sure love him in that cell
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:09:08 PM »
How does an 18yr old middle class boy have so much rage in him to commit that kind of act?

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »
How does an 18yr old middle class boy have so much rage in him to commit that kind of act?

He probably needed a therapeutic weekend in London.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:58:12 PM »

Hate, not "rage" is what I'd say.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
I feel sad for the yutes. It is always a shame to see  lives wasted. They must pay for what they did, but it's sad nevertheless.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:08:52 PM by kaliman2006 »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »

Yeah jed - hate for real, I doh get it.  I don't understand how someone coming up in this time where the world is so small and technology has put the globe at your fingertips (not like "long time" when people had an excuse to be ignorant of the world around them, and unappreciative of global diversity)...coming up in a middle class comfortable environment, presumably educated could have that level of hate in them... I feel like even if yuh parents spewing that crap, all yuh have to do is get on your computer, or turn on the TV, radio, IPOD whatever and realize that that kinda archaic nonsense is pure caveman vibes jed!! jeez... The world turning but some people still getting left behind. 

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »

Yeah jed - hate for real, I doh get it.  I don't understand how someone coming up in this time where the world is so small and technology has put the globe at your fingertips (not like "long time" when people had an excuse to be ignorant of the world around them, and unappreciative of global diversity)...coming up in a middle class comfortable environment, presumably educated could have that level of hate in them... I feel like even if yuh parents spewing that crap, all yuh have to do is get on your computer, or turn on the TV, radio, IPOD whatever and realize that that kinda archaic nonsense is pure caveman vibes jed!! jeez... The world turning but some people still getting left behind. 

Meh lil girls an dem ah coaching starting to come of age where they want to date. Well I black and the coaches I does bring around the team black. So many of these girls comfortable and even accepting of the idea that it okay to date minorities. It have a couple of them who parents find out that they like minorities. Talk about pressah. One mudder tell she black guy will only ruin she reputation (never mind that she fadder is half Filipino). The other one like ah Mexican fella and the parents take away she cell phone and the only places she could go now is where they going. One of the black girls on the team an older Mexican boy trying to talk to her and these same two parents know and eh say nothing. When the black girl fadder find out, they tell him they eh say nutten cause they thought it was cute.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

giggsy11

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »

What were people's 'excuse' to be ignorant? And what makes you think class dictates whether a person is capable or not capable of committing a hate crime?

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
You never know what people does be endorsing in their homes.  All races promote prejudice at some level.  But these things happened only when the attacker feels entitled to unspoken rights upheld in society.  This stuff happens all over the world sad to say. I feel sad for the family because even though the boys are going to jail, you never know what people does be endorsing in their homes.

In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 07:57:21 AM »

What were people's 'excuse' to be ignorant? And what makes you think class dictates whether a person is capable or not capable of committing a hate crime?

Thx giggsy ... I too am intrigued by kicker's comments.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »

I got what he was saying just fine... I'm sure it's no accident that he used "excuse" in quotes.  As for his "middle-class" comments... it's a matter of probabilities, not certainties.  On balance, lack of education and ignorance go hand in hand, as do education (as far as exposure to) and appreciation of other cultures.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »

I got what he was saying just fine... I'm sure it's no accident that he used "excuse" in quotes.  As for his "middle-class" comments... it's a matter of probabilities, not certainties.  On balance, lack of education and ignorance go hand in hand, as do education (as far as exposure to) and appreciation of other cultures.

I used to think so too, but my last 15 years in higher education primarily in the NE have me re-evaluating that premise, constantly

Anyway, I understand what kciker was saying as well
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 08:56:53 PM »

technology different from "education" breds. there is evidence it even reinforces ignorance.

giggsy11

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 11:05:27 AM »

technology different from "education" breds. there is evidence it even reinforces ignorance.

Yep- it can provide access to others with like mind thinking as well reinforce ignorance.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 08:30:50 AM »
Not sure what the question is...an excuse is an excuse...whether it's acceptable or not. 

I think people today have less excuses for ignorance than they did yesteryear... Not saying that I condone the ignorance of any generation, but I'm certainly more baffled by this type of hatred harbored by a teenager...a middle class who is supposedly educated.  The world is alot smaller, information is so much more accessible, mainstream popular culture is one big melting pot/fusion , influences aren't (or at least shouldn't be) as narrow or limited as they used to be, and hence not as extreme etc...

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »
uh.....he from a small town in Mississippi

wuh allyuh tryin to rationalize and analyze again?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »
I understood kicker the first time. I agree with his conclusion ... though not his reasoning.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »
I understood kicker the first time. I agree with his conclusion ... though not his reasoning.

What reasoning would you use to come the same conclusion?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »
Your original contribution:

Follow-up post:
I think people today have less excuses for ignorance than they did yesteryear... Not saying that I condone the ignorance of any generation, but I'm certainly more baffled by this type of hatred harbored by a teenager...a middle class who is supposedly educated.  The world is alot smaller, information is so much more accessible, mainstream popular culture is one big melting pot/fusion , influences aren't (or at least shouldn't be) as narrow or limited as they used to be, and hence not as extreme etc...

I don't find the proposition of 'class' as a mitigating variable in one's orientation to racial identity and race dynamics to be sufficiently compelling ... (indeed might it be an imposition of your valuation or world view?)

One would have to harbour an inkling that what one's parents were spewing was "crap" to be disposed to rejecting said view as "crap". And ... as others have suggested, resorting to technology could serve to reinforce one's view of the world, rather than to negate it. The global village we live in is not automatically reduced to utopian possibilities and enhanced humanity merely by the availability of technology. (Incidentally, I din see yah come at it from that angle in your response to the Neo-Nazis in Brazil ... there was an economist and other professionals in that group).

Finally, I don't know if 'excuse' is the most appropriate word. This young man lived in a largely white county, but that did not necessarily make him ignorant of the world around him. I think "we" should be prepared to accept that some heinous acts are not driven by ignorance per se.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:44:45 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
Fair enough, but you didn't really answer my question:

What rationale would you use to come to the same conclusion? (i.e. shocked that a young kid born in the 90's would harbor such hate)...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »
Fair enough, but you didn't really answer my question:

What rationale would you use to come to the same conclusion? (i.e. shocked that a young kid born in the 90's would harbor such hate)...

Was that your conclusion? I thought it was the world's turning but some people still getting left behind.

Suffice it to say, I'm not shocked. What with people having been dragged by trucks and whatnot ...

Progress with respect to racial and social harmony has been achieved, but as Preacher suggests there is private endorsement resistant to these normalized achievements. Nuff ppl walking round faking the homage to equality. Sure many people won't operationalize their hate by vehicular attack but they certainly operationalize it via other less obtrusive modes.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
The world turning piece was the final sentence but as far as a conclusion (i.e. the point of what I wrote), it wasn't...  My point was that given the level of exposure that people have to the world around them, I'm baffled at the level of hate harbored by someone of this generation particularly an educated person of the middle class.  People gone off on tangents about the word "excuse"...or isolate implications of class....or isolate my mentioning of technology....and as such missed the point.   

I don't believe that hate/hatred is an innate human trait- I believe that it is taught.  I believe that the effectiveness of such teaching is enhanced by a narrowness of influences.  I think education, socio-economic standing, and technology are factors that can effectively work together to positively broaden a perspective, and hence have a countering effect on ingnorance, and ultimately hate.  I think that today's generation is in a better place than generations before us in this context partly because of increased education and awareness that have been brought about largely by advances in technology (doesn't mean that such advances can't also have potentially harmful consequences as well)...so by that reasoning I'm surprised to hear of incidents like this...I suppose a reasonable conclusion would be that this kid (and his peers) have been raised in an insular environment with influences more powerful than those which exist to counteract them...agree or no?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:11:04 PM by kicker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »
The world turning piece was the final sentence but as far as a conclusion (i.e. the point of what I wrote), it wasn't...  My point was that given the level of exposure that people have to the world around them, I'm baffled at the level of hate harbored by someone of this generation particularly an educated person of the middle class.  People gone off on tangents about the word "excuse"...or isolate implications of class....or isolate my mentioning of technology....and as such missed the point.   

I don't believe that hate/hatred is an innate human trait- I believe that it is taught.  I believe that the effectiveness of such teaching is enhanced by a narrowness of influences.  I think education, socio-economic standing, and technology are factors that can effectively work together to positively broaden a perspective, and hence have a countering effect on ingnorance, and ultimately hate.  I think that today's generation is in a better place than generations before us in this context partly because of increased education and awareness that have been brought about largely by advances in technology (doesn't mean that such advanced can't also have potentially harmful consequences as well)...so by that reasoning I'm surprised to hear of incidents like this... I suppose a reasonable conclusion would be that this kid (and his peers) have been raised in an insular environment with influences more powerful than those which exist to counteract them...agree or no?

None of those items referenced as tangents are fairly characterized as tangents: they were pillars of your viewpoint.

Nonetheless, it seems your closing sentence approximates Dutty's contention:

I think that's a fair point of departure ...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »
None of those items referenced as tangents are fairly characterized as tangents: they were pillars of your viewpoint.

You starting to come off as kind of hard headed for the sake of argument.

I never said that each item  was a tangent (edit except for "excuse" - which was not a "pillar" of my viewpoint unless you want to get into a game of semantics) - but each item, as you call it, when taken in isolation doesn't make the point - hence underlining the word together...

People gone off on tangents about the word "excuse"...or isolate implications of class....or isolate my mentioning of technology....and as such missed the point.   

I think education, socio-economic standing, and technology are factors that can effectively work together to positively broaden a perspective, and hence have a countering effect on ingnorance, and ultimately hate. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:58:54 PM by kicker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 06:31:19 PM »
Frankly, I don't think anyone on this thread missed the point. Posters simply honed in on varying aspects of your contribution.

More specifically, I stated my position early on in the thread and when asked to expand on that position I did so. I had hoped to leave it there. Where's the argument for argument's sake?

I didn't need the underlining to discern the clarity of your contribution. Indeed, it was precisely the relation of both paragraphs, each to the other, that led me to the statement made. I stand by it conceptually and semantically. I understand and understood the elements of your view. The basis on which I diverged from your assessment is adequately expressed above.

And for what it's worth, the point of what you wrote is not necessarily the conclusion you ultimately asserted. However, I didn't dwell on this in the interest of not being haltingly obtuse (or shall we say "hard-headed"). If it's any consolation, there's no patently correct answer applicable here.

1]; } ?>