March 28, 2024, 11:42:03 PM

Author Topic: Anybody see Chris Rock's "Good Hair"?  (Read 2790 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Anybody see Chris Rock's "Good Hair"?
« on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1m-4qxz08So" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1m-4qxz08So</a>

It funny and sad same time.

I mus be REAL NAIVE but honest to GOD...I didn't know de likes a Nia Long and dem so was sportin WEAVE all dis time.

It forkane DISTRESSIN!

Fake eyes
Fake eyebrow (dem shave it off to tattoo it back een)
Fake lips
Fake nose
Fake totots
Fake nails
Fake toenails
Fake ass
Fake hair

Ah fraid to contemplate wha else FAKE  :o :o

But if yuh eh check out dis movie....check it out.  I only see it by chance las weekend.

PRESSHA!!!  Salt n Pepa boastin bout how dem hair is 100% HUMAN HAIR!  Dat mean it have woman dat sportin NON HUMAN HAIR!!!

WTF??!!!!  :devil: :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody see Chris Rock's "Good Hair"?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »
I take it een when it first come out on dvd...want as funny as I hoped, but eye opening

all da money and de same black people who buyin it are not the ones who makin billions sellin it

It always amaze me how koreans does run the distribution of that business everywhere in the states...if you go downtown detroit on de wuss part of woodward ave. all dem hair stores does be korean owned
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »
I've been meaning to watch this ... since I now own it by default :(. On a jumbie scene I rented it from a machine on a flex and got too busy to return it ... after several weeks the vendor proclaimed that I owned it.

As far as the hair reality goes, I find the situation riveted with some identity issues. Ah know posters on another thread have been exploring whether hair is manageable etc. but at the core no woman with that folly on her head could come near me.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
I have the DVD and I only was able to watch when he made the trip to somewhere in the middle east and how the women were weaving the hair together...for good money. Also remembered a part about child labour :-\
I'll go watch it again tonight....

Palos dont' feel too upset. Oprah hair is real!!! ;D But if you go on the THE OFFICIAL BABES THREAD.....see how much you can point out as real or fake!!

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:10:32 PM »
I have the DVD and I only was able to watch when he made the trip to somewhere in the middle east and how the women were weaving the hair together...for good money. Also remembered a part about child labour :-\
I'll go watch it again tonight....

Palos dont' feel too upset. Oprah hair is real!!! ;D But if you go on the THE OFFICIAL BABES THREAD.....see how much you can point out as real or fake!!

You know.....dat is a good idea. Maybe I need to check  :o :o

We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:14:06 AM »
good flick dat...money potential
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »
Don't get it twisted though there are those black women who have stepped up and know how to take care of their hair. Black women are that growing waist length hair etc, it's just that certain myths need to be stamped out of the black community before things can even start to progress. Well in that arena...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
Saw it about a year ago or so...good stuff. 

Lots of issues tied up in that reality. 

Nia Long still sweet though  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:35:23 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
I saw it a while back. My husband saw it first and kept telling me to watch it as if I don't have hair on meh head.
All who fretting about Koreans selling weave, watch again and see who is the largest seller of lye and other harmful chemicals in North America.
We buy a bill of goods about what our hair should look like. I did the perm thing but stopped almost 12 years ago. Thinking about hitting a dreads soon.

The workplace plays a HUGE role in how professional women of colour wear their hair. Admittedly, while we do have a monkey on our backs with the flowing locks a la Rapunzel, the employers also tend to glance at your natural hair during the hiring process. Natural hair tells them the woman wearing it knows who she is and they think that means she's going to be "an HR issue" somewhere down the road. So in order to play in the sandbox with the rest of the kids, we try to fit in.
If you doubt me, look at the women of colour in the boardroom, on tv, in films and see what their hair looks like. It speaks volumes that Dr. Angelou perms, Oprah perms, Mrs. Obama perms and perms her children's hair. For that matter, how many men of colour let their hair grow into dreads and are in the boardroom?
So, while it is high time we take our hair into our own hands, we still have to eat a food and we've been known to sacrifice everything for the roof over our head.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:28:09 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1m-4qxz08So" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1m-4qxz08So</a>

It funny and sad same time.

I mus be REAL NAIVE but honest to GOD...I didn't know de likes a Nia Long and dem so was sportin WEAVE all dis time.

It forkane DISTRESSIN!

Fake eyes
Fake eyebrow (dem shave it off to tattoo it back een)
Fake lips
Fake nose
Fake totots
Fake nails
Fake toenails
Fake ass
Fake hair

Ah fraid to contemplate wha else FAKE  :o :o

ah hear dey selling some peel back ting. as yuh dun... yuh peel it orf, smood orn ah new one and rollout. comes in 2 sizes....3 pak and family size.

But if yuh eh check out dis movie....check it out.  I only see it by chance las weekend.

PRESSHA!!!  Salt n Pepa boastin bout how dem hair is 100% HUMAN HAIR!  Dat mean it have woman dat sportin NON HUMAN HAIR!!!

WTF??!!!!  :devil: :devil:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:30:48 AM by Tongue »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:30:31 AM »
Literally just watched this back to back with Invictus. Found it compelling and powerful in a subtle way, and potentially empowering for anyone receptive to the messaging. Lots of paradoxes in the film. Raven Symone is a head case ... no pun intended.

Wish Chris also travelled to places outside the US (different continents) to document the good hair syndrome. I would have liked his wife's view ... ah hadda say though, iz definite f**kery to be giving a 6 year old relaxer.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:38:20 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:41 AM »
I saw it a while back. My husband saw it first and kept telling me to watch it as if I don't have hair on meh head.
All who fretting about Koreans selling weave, watch again and see who is the largest seller of lye and other harmful chemicals in North America.
We buy a bill of goods about what our hair should look like. I did the perm thing but stopped almost 12 years ago. Thinking about hitting a dreads soon.

The workplace plays a HUGE role in how professional women of colour wear their hair. Admittedly, while we do have a monkey on our backs with the flowing locks a la Rapunzel, the employers also tend to glance at your natural hair during the hiring process. Natural hair tells them the woman wearing it knows who she is and they think that means she's going to be "an HR issue" somewhere down the road. So in order to play in the sandbox with the rest of the kids, we try to fit in.
If you doubt me, look at the women of colour in the boardroom, on tv, in films and see what their hair looks like. It speaks volumes that Dr. Angelou perms, Oprah perms, Mrs. Obama perms and perms her children's hair. For that matter, how many men of colour let their hair grow into dreads and are in the boardroom?
So, while it is high time we take our hair into our own hands, we still have to eat a food and we've been known to sacrifice everything for the roof over our head.

I think back to a 1980s suit filed versus Hyatt by a woman who alleged discriminatory policy by the corporation because she had braids. That same woman could have worked for Hyatt anywhere in Trinidad & Tobago and there wouldn't have been a sound from the corporation.

Macoomeh I hadda disagree. If ppl stood on principle rather than acquiesced collectively, we all couldn't be on the breadline. That case was before the US courts in 1987/88? In 1987/88, you could find women in our commercial sector with braids.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:59:05 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
I ent go lie...weave is a real thief head.

I trim in a salon on Henry street...the barber one side and the hairdressers on another.

When them ladies come in with a big plastic bag and they unraveling the stuff is a sight to behold. Is like who get a deal where, how much dey pay, check the quality etc.

But what more amazing...i see woman who near bald, with all kinda ringworm and fungus patch...I kid you not the hair does come in a strip...they does glue it straight to they pan in rows and after that cut it and style it. Woman looking like Beyonce after.

The best is when they does take a big needle and sew like they darning socks or making doily..watch meh is thread and needle breds.

All dem Riahanna trim is weave...them woman bald and have schoolboy trim and is "piece" they sewing on in the front.

The fake ras is what really ketch meh...I couldnt believe it have dat too...but yuh does know by the "burn" ends...they does camouflage it with a shell, bead or twist it under so the ends not too visible. Fake ras also popular with them kinda maccomehman pencil jeans wearing ole timers who feel they in ting looking to run down young girl. Them fellas lorse they hair long time and wanted to graduate from a flat top and punk and peak but is halter back they sporting so they does take a twist and end up looking like gervinho.

Also the "bun" them woman does have looking intricate and neat...them is "piece" too. Yes...after they comb back in one and grease down neat in a pony tail they does wrap the rest in a fake ting.

Honestly...if I didn't trim or see the inside of that salon I woulda NEVER know them ting exist. I could understand Palos confusion and empathize with anybody who never know or see.

But the real giveaway is the head pat...like they slapping theyself...they cyar itch they scalp properly else it go come out....so by extension, they cyar wash it regular neither. Also doh feel this whole weave ting is for one ethnic group alone eh...atall far from...every race putting in a lil excess hair to bump up they nest.

Yuh know what does get meh vex too...back hard back man putting "perm" in they hair when they taking mohawk. just the other day, i real scorn a youthman in the barber shop for that...he first jumbie meh spot to take a trim...then he say ok he go take a "relax" while he waiting. Soldier have a girl with a paintbrush, plastering the center of he head and den 5 minutes later he bawling it bunin he scalp and to wash it out....steupsss.

The shit people does do to they self eh.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:25:27 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
lol!! touches yuh bussin de woman and dem files, yuh desecrate the church of follicle normal

ah boy de quest for 'pretty' hair is ah rough road oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
Touches yuh killing meh here :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1]; } ?>