April 27, 2024, 03:47:27 AM

Author Topic: FBI investigates secret payments to FIFA whistleblower  (Read 6738 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FBI investigates secret payments to FIFA whistleblower
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
FBI investigates secret payments to FIFA whistleblower
By Andrew Jennings (The Independent)

Months after his bribery claims shocked the football body, Chuck Blazer finds himself in the spotlight

The man credited with blowing the whistle on bribery and corruption in Fifa, the body that runs world football, is now himself the subject of an FBI inquiry. US investigators are examining documents appearing to show confidential payments to offshore accounts operated by an American Fifa official, Chuck Blazer.

Mr Blazer sparked an investigation into allegations of bribery in the Fifa presidential election two months ago. He claimed his long-term ally Jack Warner was involved in a plot to hand $1m in cash to Caribbean officials to vote for Qatar's Mohamed bin Hammam, who was running against the sitting president, Sepp Blatter.

The subsequent scandal shook world football's governing body. A leaked internal report revealed Fifa investigators believed there was "compelling" evidence of a bribery conspiracy between Mr Warner and Mr Bin Hamman. Mr Warner later resigned and was declared "innocent" by Fifa. Mohamed bin Hamman was banned for life but is appealing against the result. Last week, Fifa announced a further 16 Caribbean football officials were being investigated.

Now the spotlight has turned to payments to accounts controlled by Mr Blazer in the Cayman Islands and Bahamas. The Fifa official is contracted to work for Concacaf, the regional football association for North and Central America and the Caribbean, but FBI officers are examining evidence that payments have come from the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), a separate regional football body, tightly controlled by Mr Warner.

The most recent payment of $250,000 was last March – before Mr Blazer's allegations. Mr Blazer deposited the cheque in a Bahamas account and initially claimed it was "repayment of a personal loan" he had made to Mr Warner. He now claims Mr Warner may have misused the CFU account and says he is prepared to repay the money if that is the case.

In September last year, Mr Warner approved another CFU payment of $205,000 to a private company operated by Mr Blazer from Cayman. It is also alleged that another payment of $57,750 went from the CFU to Mr Blazer's Cayman account. Mr Blazer denies any impropriety, saying: "All of my transactions have been legally and properly done, in compliance with the various laws of the applicable jurisdictions based on the nature of the transaction."

Mr Warner, from Trinidad, became president of Concacaf in 1990 and immediately appointed Mr Blazer as his general secretary. In 1996, Mr Warner secured Mr Blazer's promotion to Fifa's 24-man executive committee. When Mr Warner's involvement in World Cup ticket rackets emerged, Mr Blazer defended him, saying that the well-documented claims had "very little credibility". Their relationship soured when Mr Blazer revealed that Mr Bin Hammam had arrived in Trinidad last May in a private jet carrying at least $1m in cash to pitch his election manifesto to regional football officials at a meeting arranged by Mr Warner. A photograph of cash in a brown envelope was handed to the ex-FBI boss Louis Freeh, who has been commissioned by Fifa to investigate the bribery allegations.

During a Fifa marketing dispute in a Manhattan court five years ago the judge ruled that Mr Blazer's testimony was "generally without credibility, based on his attitude and demeanour and on his evasive answers on cross-examination". The judge added that some of his testimony was "fabricated". Mr Blazer reportedly owns a $3m apartment in the Bahamas. He is said to own it through a Bahamas company, in turn owned by two other companies registered at a Nassau bank where he has an account.

Mr Blazer's confidential contract reveals he hires himself out from his Cayman-based company Sportvertising. It also reveals he receives 10 per cent in "commissions" from regional football marketing deals. Over the past five years he has taken $9.6m. The payments are recorded in private Concacaf accounts but with no indication that he received them. Mr Blazer says they are "consistent with industry standards". His remuneration from Concacaf has never been disclosed. He employs his son Jason, 41, as Concacaf's $7,000-a-month medical officer, and his daughter Marci has been a member of Fifa's legal committee.

When Mr Warner resigned he was automatically replaced by Concacaf's vice-president, Lisle Austin, from Barbados – who immediately fired Mr Blazer. In turn, Mr Blazer barred Mr Austin from Concacaf's New York office. Mr Austin then took legal action to secure his position, resulting in his suspension by Fifa last week for breaking its rule that members cannot use the courts to settle disputes. Mr Austin said last week: "I have repeatedly asked for an independent forensic audit of Concacaf's finances, but to no avail. My struggle is to bring transparency and democracy to regional football, and indeed Fifa."

Mr Blazer said he would continue to "fully respond to... Fifa, Concacaf and their respective stakeholders."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: FBI investigates secret payments to FIFA whistleblower
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
On just reading the title of the thread, mih initial reaction is.....

ooooooohhhhhh gggggguuuuuudddd!!!!..... :o :o  wtf??!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »
The real FBI this time

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
 :devil:  it good
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
The real FBI this time

Lol... don't expect this one to show up on Bill Archer's blog.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:13:14 PM »
The real FBI this time

Lol... don't expect this one to show up on Bill Archer's blog.

ent?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: i eh laugh on this forum in a long time so forgive me guys,let me laugh a little bit,i don't know what i'm laughing at but i have to laugh,is only we in T&T does be shame everybody else is good guys,every day somebody getting expose.When my boy say he eh ready to talk yet he knows what he saying,all ah them they turn coming watch out.Socapro and Dreamer wanted the FBI alright we got them. 

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
so dem fellas hiding some of dey money close tuh home

look at how Chucky boy files coming out now...

so ah assuming dem doonsai iz US$
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
Surprise surprise ,Blazer's dirty too.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
Corruption at it's best,i wonder who going to run Football,like Jennings is the only clean man,he fighting this thing a long long time,give him some credit for that.

Alyu always feel i am Jack/TTFF boy,i eh no Jack boy,what i does try to explain to you all is FIFA is a corrupted organization,to be a part of it you can't be a good guy,it's about money not Football,Football is a product that makes money and who plays the game best wins,they wanted to get that black man out a long time he was making too much,he had too much power,what even better is his own people want him out too.

Right now the Europeans are monitoring the situation and everything will be shifted that way,fingers are pointing at Platini for president,nothing will change just the money will change hands.Honest people will have a hard time in the Football world.    

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 08:07:05 PM »
         I'm not surprise he dirty,i'm surprised he blow the whistle.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
         I'm not surprise he dirty,i'm surprised he blow the whistle.

musbe tired blowing Jack  :devil:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »
Santa claus real racking up yes. 9.2 million  :o, and he tun on jack boy?? if my friend was puttin all dah cheese in my hand i eh going against he unless my freedom was jeopardized.

i have ah sneaky suspicion that jack is the one who syk the FBI on blazer.  :devil:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:26:32 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: i eh laugh on this forum in a long time so forgive me guys,let me laugh a little bit,i don't know what i'm laughing at but i have to laugh,is only we in T&T does be shame everybody else is good guys,every day somebody getting expose.When my boy say he eh ready to talk yet he knows what he saying,all ah them they turn coming watch out.Socapro and Dreamer wanted the FBI alright we got them. 

Coop's boi, the more corrupt people who get taken out of FIFA is the happy I feeling yes!!

Keeping in mind that the TTFF probably learn most of their corrupt procedures from FIFA, all this only makes me more & more optimistic that we can clean out its offspring the TTFF and get rid of the current corrupt lot who feel its a job for life!!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
Take Jackula to de cleaners
Then take out Scampito and Rodent
Next Mr Blazin' Saddles
Then Seppos in de final scandal

Script is going beautifully. What more yuh could want dan dat?

Keep it up Mr Jennings. Me eh sure what Coop's findin so funny it dat nah. All yuh boys goin' dong one by one after dey do de jig. To borrow a phrase ... "Ah love it"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:18:55 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 09:22:49 PM »
Take Jackula to de cleaners
Then take out Scampito and Rodent
Next Mr Blazin' Saddles
Then Seppos in de final scandal

Script is going beautifully. What more yuh could want dan dat?

Keep it up Mr Jennings. Me eh sure what Coop's findin so funny it dat nah. All yuh boys goin' dong one by one after dey do de jig. To borrow a phrase ... "Ah love it"

Coop's laughing cause he feel is only we does feel bad about having corrupt officials!!  :rotfl:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
hmm I'm sure it all goes back to 1989

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »
Santa claus real racking up yes. 9.2 million  :o, and he tun on jack boy?? if my friend was puttin all dah cheese in my hand i eh going against he unless my freedom was jeopardized.

i have ah sneaky suspicion that jack is the one who syk the FBI on blazer.  :devil:

This plot gets thicker because  jack get out better off than blazer. Blazer going and loss real money and all Jack loss so far is the dignity that evaded him in the first place. So who is Blatter real boy again.  :devil:
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »
"London bridge is falling down, my fair lady"
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »
Everyone is interlinked. If they catch Blazer, I'm sure that will lead to others. Remember, we are talking CONCACAF here, and that is based in USA, so US laws apply and FBI can investigate. So, if, for instance, a Trini paid concacaf money into the wrong account, it could mean extradition and US jail.

Hmmm....I wonder why Jack called his construction company CONCACAF? The one that built the CONCACAF centre of excellence. I hope he didn't mistakenly pay a concacaf cheque into a concacaf account by mistake.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 01:20:42 AM »
Everyone is interlinked. If they catch Blazer, I'm sure that will lead to others. Remember, we are talking CONCACAF here, and that is based in USA, so US laws apply and FBI can investigate. So, if, for instance, a Trini paid concacaf money into the wrong account, it could mean extradition and US jail.

Hmmm....I wonder why Jack called his construction company CONCACAF? The one that built the CONCACAF centre of excellence. I hope he didn't mistakenly pay a concacaf cheque into a concacaf account by mistake.
       So you now know everyone is interlinked?what happen you playing FBI too?i telling alyu that long time but is only Jack alyu seeing,they going to all get caught and you will see where Jack going to end up.This is what the investigations and interviews of concacaf officials revealed,if you squeeze man stones hard enough they must talk,how Jamaica name eh call?those little guys in concacaf don't want to loose the small change they get for running Football in their country,these guys are not Jack's boys they are FIFA guys is FIFA who corrupt. 

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 01:51:42 AM »
who gives FBI the right to prosecute or have other Caricom members extradicted to the US....

Why are they to be tried in the US?

Why isnt each individual tried by there own country?

I find that only Santa Claus should be tried in the US because he is ah American
Ah say it, how ah see it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 03:24:51 AM »
who gives FBI the right to prosecute or have other Caricom members extradicted to the US.... The US government

Why are they to be tried in the US? Because thats where the crime (if any) was committed

Why isnt each individual tried by there own country? No laws may have been broken in their own countries

I find that only Santa Claus should be tried in the US because he is ah American

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:33:15 AM by Football supporter »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 04:15:38 AM »
FS, why should the US be given the RIGHT to prosecute...??
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 05:18:10 AM »
who gives FBI the right to prosecute or have other Caricom members extradicted to the US.... The US government

Why are they to be tried in the US? Because thats where the crime (if any) was committed

Why isnt each individual tried by there own country? No laws may have been broken in their own countries

Is in T&T the brown envelopes was given,i thought Rowley ask Gibbs to investigate JW and how the money get in the country,no crime was committed in the US,the whistle was blown in the US.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »
FS, why should the US be given the RIGHT to prosecute...??

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but if we are, then you're not making sense! If an alleged crime takes place on United States soil, then US investigators will open a case, just like it is Gibbs decision whether to investigate the bribery allegations. No other force can investigate this as it took place with T&T, though I'm sure many would like to. I think this is obvious, so I don't understand your point. 

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »

Is in T&T the brown envelopes was given,i thought Rowley ask Gibbs to investigate JW and how the money get in the country,no crime was committed in the US,the whistle was blown in the US.

We are talking about Blazer and discrepencies in his concacaf dealings. This took place within USA.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »
As usual, people getting carried away.  First of all Coop's this has nothing to do with the bribery situation so brown envelopes in TnT are not being investigated here.

My guess is that the FBI may be investigating whether Blazer hid the transactions to avoid taxes, or perhaps "structuring" in violation of the Bank Secrecy Act... or money laundering.  If this is the case then no crime needs to have taken place in the US, it's a crime "against" the US itself... therefore they have a right to prosecute Blazer.  

I don't see anything in the article about CFU officials being investigated... not surprising, since I don't see what or how they could be investigated, assuming they were involved, they don't have an obligation to report their transactions to the US government (since they're not subject to US laws), Blazer is.  CONCACAF is registered in the Bahamas (if memory serves correct) and as such is subject to Bahamian laws.  It's headquarters is in the US though, so that may be sufficient to make it subject to NYS law as well.  Even so, violation of New York business law may not be sufficient to trigger an FBI inquiry... which takes us back to my first comments.  

Bottom line is that much as with the criminal investigation against Jack (which we are still waiting on) people shouldn't get too excited about this investigation yet... even if they find anything they might decide it's not worth their time prosecuting.

We are talking about Blazer and discrepencies in his concacaf dealings. This took place within USA.

We don't know this.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:35:50 PM by Bakes »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »

Sorry,my bad.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »
FS the point I was trying to make is that the US shouldnt be given the right to control the situation...

Ah say it, how ah see it

1]; } ?>