March 28, 2024, 02:16:16 PM

Author Topic: Boss/Manager adding you as a friend on Facebook  (Read 2673 times)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Boss/Manager adding you as a friend on Facebook
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »
My immediate superior just add me on FB.

I put him on limited profile; he can only see my status and my profile pictures.  No need to supply any incriminating evidence (not that there is any).  I didn't want to add him but that is more pressure.

Why would I want someone in my professional life part of my private/social life?  I have a few colleagues  but no superiors.

Thoughts?
I find this unprofessional and just plain weird. 

whey boy!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Boss/Manager adding you as a friend on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »
I won't have even bothered to add him but that's just me!!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »
Thought about that but then didn't want to offend him.  At the end of the day, I need to maintain a good relationship.

He's just a maco
whey boy!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
I'd add someone if I considered them a friend - superior, equivalent, subordinate etc... Otherwise I'd just leave it as pending.  I have pending fb requests from people who I struggling to figure out or remember who they are lol...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
Not on facebook myself but I imagine it would depend on the relationship with the person.

I have a couple former bosses who I invite over to my home all the time and would lash beers with and others who I only interact with as a courtesy.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
As a manager, I don't want my staff in any part of my private/social life!!! That's why I'm not even on facebook, to avoid them and students friend requesting me. Next thing is all kinda baccanal on work how dey see me in pic wid dis one and dat one since talk have a way of spreading very fast over here. I think there must be that line of separation between a supervisor and subordinates, but that's just me.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
Does your workplace have a policy(ies) on the use of social media in the workplace? that might be a place to start. For example, in the local school board in our city, they just passed a policy restricting teachers from friending students.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
Does your workplace have a policy(ies) on the use of social media in the workplace? that might be a place to start. For example, in the local school board in our city, they just passed a policy restricting teachers from friending students.

Yeah, we can't access FB from the office.  He did it from home.  He only found me because he has a mutual friend who is an ex employee; otherwise he wouldn't be able to locate me.

As a manager, I don't want my staff in any part of my private/social life!!! That's why I'm not even on facebook, to avoid them and students friend requesting me. Next thing is all kinda baccanal on work how dey see me in pic wid dis one and dat one since talk have a way of spreading very fast over here. I think there must be that line of separation between a supervisor and subordinates, but that's just me.

That is actually how most managers should be.  I am also managerial and 99% of my contacts are personal from school/ex employees (who I actually talk to and meet up wit)/friends/family.
I read somewhere that if you have to put someone on limited profile on facebook, they shouldn't be your FB friend anyway.
whey boy!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »
This is one of the reasons that Facebook introduced friends lists. Just setup various lists with appropriate restrictions on what members of each friend list can see. It is perfectly normal to have pictures, status updates etc that you may not wish to share with everyone (not just work colleagues, it might extend to older/younger relatives for example).

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »

Yeah, we can't access FB from the office.  He did it from home.  He only found me because he has a mutual friend who is an ex employee; otherwise he wouldn't be able to locate me.

That is actually how most managers should be.  I am also managerial and 99% of my contacts are personal from school/ex employees (who I actually talk to and meet up wit)/friends/family.
I read somewhere that if you have to put someone on limited profile on facebook, they shouldn't be your FB friend anyway.

All yuh have real time is either yuh is meh friend or not meh friend ltd view etc eh have time 4 all ah dat.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »

ditto!  I would never add the boss because it only have one person to slip and say we still going for ah drink and yuh call in sick and by mistake FB do some changes and ur settings get reset.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »
Did you accept the friend request? If you did, then.....hold ya tongue!
I have no one from my company on my page. It will never happen.

I'm slowly moving away from FB and using google +!
Definitely have more control over my settings and circles. And with google + they give you advance notifications of changes, unlike FB when they change the settings to now show your contacts cell phone numbers publicly. Even dem effers you have on block.

Man hadda scamper to un-sync cell phone and shit....steupse!! >:(

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
I used linkedin for professional relationships, colleagues and clients, I've worked with.

I do have my current manager on FB only because I've known and worked with him over 12 years, but in general I wouldn't put a boss on there.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »

ditto!  I would never add the boss because it only have one person to slip and say we still going for ah drink and yuh call in sick and by mistake FB do some changes and ur settings get reset.

yeah but then if yuh don't it will look 'bad' especially if you see the person ona daily basis

dais how fasbook does jam yuh up in dem kinda sticky scenarios
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 07:40:02 AM »
I used linkedin for professional relationships, colleagues and clients, I've worked with.

I do have my current manager on FB only because I've known and worked with him over 12 years, but in general I wouldn't put a boss on there.

Unfortunately, he added me.  I have no problem with him on my linkedin (which he is).  Don't like it at all.  I have an okay relationship with him, I just don't want him on my FB.  Anyway he is limited as hell so he can't see a thing, but we all know how much we can trust FB privacy settings.

yeah but then if yuh don't it will look 'bad' especially if you see the person ona daily basis

That is the situation I in.

whey boy!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 08:06:37 AM »

Unfortunately, he added me.  I have no problem with him on my linkedin (which he is).  Don't like it at all.  I have an okay relationship with him, I just don't want him on my FB.  Anyway he is limited as hell so he can't see a thing, but we all know how much we can trust FB privacy settings.

That is the situation I in.

but if your company has a social media policy that discourages this behaviour, then you can show your boss and tell him that we should not be doing this as it is a against company policy.  Then you are off the hook for not friend him. You jess following company policy.

This type of policy will actually protect employees from unwanted interaction on social media sites.  Check with HR and see what they have to say about this.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

1]; } ?>