March 28, 2024, 09:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Players I expected big from but never live up.  (Read 13791 times)

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Players I expected big from but never live up.
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 03:39:21 PM »
Can't believe men bring Latas in dis talk............ridiculous

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »
Latas get hibs into the top division in scotland and real get on.

so much so he is a legend.

then went on to play for Rangers a world class club.

If that is not "Big" i dont know what is.

The man went from Porto to Hibs while he was still great.

If you can't see what's wrong with that, I eh know what to tell yuh nah.

Nobody is doubting Lata's greatness - just the fact that with all that talent he could've/should've done better.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 04:05:37 PM »

Nobody is doubting Lata's greatness - just the fact that with all that talent he could've/should've done better.

I don't think Latas' accomplishments were limited by anything he did or didn't do....I just think that the teams we may have expected to give him that shot at stardom....never did.  But that is something only some1 with knowledge of his closest of life's details can comment on.  Latas is still one of the absolute, very best football players our country has ever produced. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »

I don't think Latas' accomplishments were limited by anything he did or didn't do....I just think that the teams we may have expected to give him that shot at stardom....never did.  But that is something only some1 with knowledge of his closest of life's details can comment on.  Latas is still one of the absolute, very best football players our country has ever produced. 

Complete agreement.

VB

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
what Forum Latas on ???..... WE have to talk about him....

Legf**kingEND
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
Sherwood was overated, he's not the first or last player to overcome a nasty injury, add Vajay Samaroo to that list!

latas should have gotten bigger than this

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »
Andy hanes, errol mcfarlene, colvin hutchenson, marlon morris,  dexter sutton.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 12:28:20 PM »
Add Kenwyne Jones to that list.

You ah backside or wha? Kenwyne in the BIGS!! playing at the highest level of football; making millions of dollars. What else you want??
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »
Wha bout the Big forward we had back in the earlies 2000 or so...ah forget de boy name oui... He had a tryout with Man U, he hands de ball in de goal against Costa Rica...allyuh help meh, ah thinking Nigel someting.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
ah now remember...Nigel Pierre...disappointment.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
The whole TEAM that played in tHE WC 2014 campaign. Especially the team that played against Guyana and Antigua......SHAME SHAME STILL SHAMEFUL TO THIS DAY.
EVERYONE AH THEM PLAYERS COULD HAUL THEY BACKSIDE FOR THE NEXT CAMPAIGN AND WAT CH. As far as I concern them time up and they all gone through.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »

You ah backside or wha? Kenwyne in the BIGS!! playing at the highest level of football; making millions of dollars. What else you want??

for him to improve his game and play to his FULL potential.  Work a little harder.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »
Dexter Skeene, Dexter Sandy, Simmo, Clint Marcelle, Veron Skinner, Garnet Craig, Saba (lemme see if allyuh know he...allyuh Belmont men dream yuh have ah Mangal's Roti in yuh mouth and hush please).

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
Dexter Skeene, Dexter Sandy, Simmo, Clint Marcelle, Veron Skinner, Garnet Craig, Saba (lemme see if allyuh know he...allyuh Belmont men dream yuh have ah Mangal's Roti in yuh mouth and hush please).
Am i considered a belmont man being from EDR not so far away, and since saba was from EDR may i comment?

PS: yuh know i was going and name him together with any hanes and colvin hutchenson, but i recanted bc of the said reason you mentioned that ppl may not know him, that's bc he never played for the national team and he never played in the SSFL. but saba was one , if not the best baller in EDR ( big saba that being).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:12:50 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 01:15:20 AM »
Sherwood was overated, he's not the first or last player to overcome a nasty injury, add Vajay Samaroo to that list!

Sherwood was indeed overrated...not even that good in the college's league much less the national youth team set up. Ivan Sampson was a boss, tremendous talent, maybe the most talented in that college's league generation - Yorke got the break, but there were players at a younger age who were far better - Keith Fletcher (was bigger, stronger, quicker than anyone else by leaps and bounds in that generation of Yorke and Company).....he was carded to be the next big thing. Terry St. Louis - could have been a big big player as well....

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:31 AM »

In all fairness, Skeene, Corneal, Simmo, Craig and Skinner were held back simply becz they came from prestige colleges. Only Alvin as Coach didn't have that hang up.

Sandy played in Ireland but really did seem to disappear from the landscape. Simmo won the US cup with his team but really was lost in the American system. Thank God Alvin got to be Coach or Simmo,Skeene and Corneal would've had much shorter careers at international level.

Never understood why Craig didn't continue playing in the US. People spoke so highly of him.

VB

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
it have real jokers on dis website allyuh dissing men without the facts.  based on the comments all trini players are either over rated or didnt reach their full potential.

sherwood was running Pres midfield as a 14yr old when they won the Big 7 title and reach national intercol final.  he was a 16yr old playing on the national under 19 team.  He is about 40 now and just last week he school some 20/21 yr old ex "intercol stars"

a few weeks ago one of my cousin (he born in the mid 90s) telling he went to a sweat and bounce ah"chinee" man who was real smoking before the game so he ketching kix saying he expect the man to have real short breadth and cyah sweat.  Sweat start and de smoker start tearing up de youth men (plenty of these fellahs are recent national youth players).  So he in shock about this tony fellah.  turned out it was old man sherwood.

as for ivan sampson, he was a real baller.  I grow up in the same area as him and he was my role model.  I use to model my game after him but i would not rate him as better than sherwood but he up there with intercol greats since the 80s such as yorke, hutchinson, sherwood, etc.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
Yeah Just Cool, jump in dey re: Saba.
Irasto Knights make dis list too?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »

Sherwood was indeed overrated...not even that good in the college's league much less the national youth team set up. Ivan Sampson was a boss, tremendous talent, maybe the most talented in that college's league generation - Yorke got the break, but there were players at a younger age who were far better - Keith Fletcher (was bigger, stronger, quicker than anyone else by leaps and bounds in that generation of Yorke and Company).....he was carded to be the next big thing. Terry St. Louis - could have been a big big player as well....

Not sure if he's Trini... ( if is de same person I tinking of)

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »

for him to improve his game and play to his FULL potential.  Work a little harder.

so is it fair to say that Kenwyne never live up to expectations as the thread is named?

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2012, 12:43:21 AM »
Yeah Just Cool, jump in dey re: Saba.
Irasto Knights make dis list too?
Savannah, these fellas would not know saba unless they from POS. it had real good players who did not get recognition bc they didn't pass common entrance to play ball in the colleges league. i know plenty bredders who was real good, but they either played in the 2nd div or they never went to an SSFL school.

micheal rudder aka saba was one of them. this bredder was the real deal, sort of like a leonson lewis kind of player, fast powerful and skills for days. his younger brother paul was an under 19 national players but never progressed to the senior set up.

too bad there wasn't a pro league back then, bc a lot of high school drop outs could have had a chance to be in the spot light without having to go to college.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:45:36 AM by just cool »

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2012, 03:20:24 AM »

In all fairness, Skeene, Corneal, Simmo, Craig and Skinner were held back simply becz they came from prestige colleges. Only Alvin as Coach didn't have that hang up.

Sandy played in Ireland but really did seem to disappear from the landscape. Simmo won the US cup with his team but really was lost in the American system. Thank God Alvin got to be Coach or Simmo,Skeene and Corneal would've had much shorter careers at international level.

Never understood why Craig didn't continue playing in the US. People spoke so highly of him.

VB
Were Skeene, Corneal and Craig Maple players? Just like Alvin was? If in fact they were, then there's an explanation why the broke through. Simmo went HU and was lost to the National setup.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:15 AM »
From this list, it seems it would be easier to list who did NOT dissapoint? Or who did live up to expectations?
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »

VB
Were Skeene, Corneal and Craig Maple players? Just like Alvin was? If in fact they were, then there's an explanation why the broke through. Simmo went HU and was lost to the National setup.

Regardless of their connection to Alvin, they were only given a fair shot at the Nat. team when he became Coach and they did not disappoint.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
Add Gary Glasgow to the list.

Did he ever learn how to pass?

VB

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 05:46:17 AM »
Men only calling names but eh saying why dey expected big(ger) tings from de player(s) in de first place. Sometimes part of de problem is having unrealistic/misplaced expectations.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
Men only calling names but eh saying why dey expected big(ger) tings from de player(s) in de first place. Sometimes part of de problem is having unrealistic/misplaced expectations.

....as well as people not considering what said player may or may not have wanted for him/herself.  I always felt Ross Russell was a man of immense talent that coulda play in probably any league he may have chosen to try out for.  Ah dam sure cyah knock him if he chose not to.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 06:40:20 AM »

Finally!! Some sense!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
Saba was a borse player for st francois nationals.
Ivan Sampson was getting a contract with queens park rangers until he start to ask for money. That was the end of that.

JAH BLESS
RASTAFARI

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
Back in the 80's: Jason Gatt (Go get wood for this name, but I liked his style), Wong from Valsayn, solid player, Ronald Koo, The goal keeper from Fatima, Nigel Patela (sp), de worm from St.james sec, Keeper Romley from St. James Sec, Franco from ST. James Sec, Piers Ryan from ST. James Sec (End up playing with Fatima for form 6).  Nuff men in the RBC League.  Lists goes on and on.......

Would have expected all these men to put on the colours for country one time or the other.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

1]; } ?>