April 24, 2024, 03:09:17 AM

Author Topic: England Football Thread.  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England Football Thread.
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
Some interesting comments on the pressures facing players who represent their country. Perhaps we should remember this when critiscising poor performances?

Neville: England 'a waste of time'
Yahoo Sport

Gary Neville has revealed he sometimes regarded his long England career as "a massive waste of time".

The Manchester United legend, who won 85 international caps, delivered a withering assessment of his time with the Three Lions in his autobiography, which is being serialised in the Mail on Sunday.

Neville said that many players live in fear of criticism from fans and the media, and also criticised several of the managers he played for.

He wrote: "There have been times when I reflected on my international career and just thought: ‘Well, that was a massive waste of time.’

"Sorry for sounding sour, but my best mate, David Beckham, got butchered after the World Cup in 1998, then my brother, Phil, after Euro 2000.

"The whole lot of us got it in the neck at other times. Sometimes we deserved it, but playing for England was one long rollercoaster: some ups and downs, but also quite a few moments when you’re not really sure if you’re enjoying the ride.

"It should be fantastic, the best moments of your life. But there is no doubt that too many players spend too much time fearing the consequences of failure when they pull on an England shirt."

Neville, who had a 12-year England career stretching from 1995-2007, said that Kevin Keegan "fell short of the level required" and even admitted there were times when he was pleased not to be playing.

"Things got so bad during Kevin’s reign that it was a relief to be left on the sidelines or injured," Neville said.

Glenn Hoddle's unconventional methods were also exposed. As well as employing faith healer Eileen Drewery, Neville claimed Hoddle would touch players just above the heart before matches, and "asked the staff to walk around the pitch anti-clockwise during the game against Argentina to create positive energy."

Neville also said Sven-Goran Eriksson picked Michael Owen as captain when David Beckham was injured because he was more famous than more deserving team-mates.

"Nothing personal against Michael, but there were other players, like Rio Ferdinand, Gerrard, Frank Lampard and me, who were more obvious contenders," Neville wrote.

"But Michael was the bigger name, and Sven could be a little weak like that."
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:35:57 AM by Flex »

Dumplingdinho

Re: Neville: England 'a waste of time'
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:28:02 AM »

AirMan

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »
The pressure the English players faced from fans and media is no different from other global power houses like Brazil, Spain or Argentina...or maybe the English people need to come to the realization that they are not a powerhouse therefore they will expect less from their players

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
The pressure the English players faced from fans and media is no different from other global power houses like Brazil, Spain or Argentina...or maybe the English people need to come to the realization that they are not a powerhouse therefore they will expect less from their players

What you don't understand is that English believe they SHOULD be a powerhouse. It may not be the case now (I don't know the stats) but certainly last century, more people attended live matches in England than any other country. Next, England has one of the top 3 leagues in the world. It also has superb investment in grass roots football. So, with all that, its reasonable to expect your country to be a powerhouse. Somehow, it doesn't translate to results. And being honest, England does develop a good level of talent. Very frustrating for England fans (including the media), and thats why there is pressure!

AirMan

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »

What you don't understand is that English believe they SHOULD be a powerhouse. It may not be the case now (I don't know the stats) but certainly last century, more people attended live matches in England than any other country. Next, England has one of the top 3 leagues in the world. It also has superb investment in grass roots football. So, with all that, its reasonable to expect your country to be a powerhouse. Somehow, it doesn't translate to results. And being honest, England does develop a good level of talent. Very frustrating for England fans (including the media), and thats why there is pressure!

Wait you telling me all this about why there is current pressure for england, when  I never question why pressure exist..so exactly what were you responding to..?. I am saying that the pressure in England is no different than whats in Brazil, Spain or any powerhouse therfore Neville should not be crying in his book. I said in my previous post the only way for there to be no pressure is for the english fans and media to realize that england is no longer a powerhouse. producing good players from a top league is not enough to be a powerhouse

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »

Wait you telling me all this about why there is current pressure for england, when  I never question why pressure exist..so exactly what were you responding to..?. I am saying that the pressure in England is no different than whats in Brazil, Spain or any powerhouse therfore Neville should not be crying in his book. I said in my previous post the only way for there to be no pressure is for the english fans and media to realize that england is no longer a powerhouse. producing good players from a top league is not enough to be a powerhouse

Actually, I was responding to your comment about England not being a powerhouse and why English fans think they should be. As for current pressure, nah, thats been there since 1970.
Neville is a whingeing shit, always has been, and, IMO, gets that from Sir Alex.

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
English players only great in their own minds!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »
Pressure? Ask Andres Escobar about pressure. Ask the North Korean football team about pressure. Ask Felipe Melo about pressure...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:56:44 PM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:40 PM »

I'll mention that to Mr Birchall when he's over. I will also remember to repost this comment if Mr birchall has a good game and people here praise him!

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:55:17 AM »
The fact, or should I say my opinion, is the youth/academy system in England is flawed in that it is soley geared at winning and not winning and developing players. So you'll find that, the biggest, strongest kids are selected before the smaller technical player, to ensure that he bolds over anything in his way to score the winner, while the small technical player is discarded. When they reach the age of maturity, and everyone is as strong and quick, there is nothing else to the players game and therefore the lack the technical abilty to be consistently effective. This is just one aspect of the flaws, but I think it's a very big one, and until the dinasaurs of the game become extinct, this will continue to produce the technically average players the English team has.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:35:26 AM »

I'll mention that to Mr Birchall when he's over. I will also remember to repost this comment if Mr birchall has a good game and people here praise him!

Not d same ting FS.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Welsh Fan KILLED.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »
A Welsh football supporter died at Wembly today when Wales met England in a WCQ,he died of head injuries,it is understood that there was a confrontation between fans of both sides.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »

Not d same ting FS.

Explain please???????????

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:27 PM »
A Welsh football supporter died at Wembly today when Wales met England in a WCQ,he died of head injuries,it is understood that there was a confrontation between fans of both sides.

Yahoo sport:

Police have launched a murder investigation after a Wales fan died following an incident outside Wembley Stadium before the Euro 2012 qualifying loss to England.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed they were called after reports of an assault outside the ground around half an hour before kick-off at 7.45pm.

"Officers and London Ambulance Service attended. A man, believed to be aged in his 40s, was taken to a north London hospital suffering from head injuries. He was pronounced dead at 20:50hrs," a police statement said.

Police said they believed the victim was a Wales fan and that six people, also understood to be Welsh, had been arrested in connection with the investigation being carried out by officers from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command.

1]; } ?>