April 19, 2024, 04:56:18 PM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 161511 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Limited State of Emergency....
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »
To be implemented from tonight in crime hot spots from Midnight.....President to sign order.  I eh get any more details. Just happened to catch the end of the press conference just as I switched to CNMG hoping to catch a delayed broadcast of the game, only to see Kamla on mih TV screen.

The press conference was over and all I got was the wrap up from the journalist who didn't say much....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:28:10 PM »
what are the crime hot spots?  ??? Laventille ? where else ?
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »
They didn't say which areas but its being replayed on CNMG now......but what ah was to know is, how they could announce that a limited state of emergency is coming from midnight tonight and the order eh sign yet??.....

Dais not like giving the bandits and dem a headstart??.....look let me hush and watch de ride.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:53:12 PM »
Press release:-

Good evening members of the media. The entire nation has been rocked with the recent tragic news of the spate of murders over the past few days. The situation has reached proportions which the government must respond to in the most definitive manner possible. I am advised that one of the causations for the spike in murders is ironically linked to the success by the police in the discovery of large drug hauls with values in excess of twenty million dollars in just one raid. These large sums of money simply do not disappear from the drug trade without consequences and in some of the cases now occurring, this is the result .

The question though isn't just what is causing it but how do we deal with it?  As you know, we have deployed more financial and human resources than any government in recent time in dealing with the scourge of crime and until this recent upsurge the nation had been encouraged by the decline shown by year to years statistics. But a problem of this nature that has been the result of years of neglect will not disappear overnight and we reassess day by day each strategy deployed and how effective it is in achieving short term and long term objectives in reducing crime.

But the current crime spree dictates that more must be done and stronger action has to be employed now.  The situation cannot continue like this without a response commensurate with the wanton acts of violence and lawlessness; it must be a response as well that will halt the current spike in gang activity and crime in general in the shortest possible time.

After much deliberation with the National Security Council and members of the Cabinet it has been agreed that the government consider the imposition of a limited state of emergency in hot spots across the country. Such a consideration must of course have the agreement of the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, His Excellency, George Maxwell Richards and I will be meeting with him to discuss this matter.

The limited state of emergency will allow us to achieve a number of things in relation to crime reduction which would not be prudent for me to disclose in advance of the action taken. We are aware that such a decision will have an impact on the daily lives of innocent, law abiding citizens in these areas but I feel confident that they will recognise and appreciate the need to protect them and bring the current crime surge affecting them under control.

We have the will to tackle the crime problem in Trinidad and Tobago and the commitment to place every resource at our disposal towards waging and winning this war on crime.  We will succeed. The nation will not be held to ransom by marauding groups of thugs bent on creating havoc on our society. The limited state of emergency in hot spots across Trinidad and Tobago is merely part of a larger aggressive reaction response by the government.

As these measures are being deployed using both out police and military we ask all citizens to bear with the inconveniences that may arise from time to time. This is in everyone's interest. In fact, I intend to hold discussions with the Leader of the Opposition to seek his party's support with certain legislative matters in Parliament. Trinidad and Tobago comes first. Nothing is more important than the right of each citizen to be protected and to enjoy a life of peace and tranquility.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/trinidad-guardian/press-statement-limited-state-of-emergency/237349209634823
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
well it look like i have a curfew now. loud fackin steups
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
PM announces limited State of Emergency in crime hot spots
Sunday 21st August, 2011

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has announced a limited State of Emergency in crime hot spots in Trinidad and Tobago.

Mrs Persad-Bissessar met with the National Security Council and her Cabinet on Sunday afternoon.

This follows a recent upsurge in murders which the Prime Minister said was linked to the recent seizure of millions of dollars in narcotics. She noted that when millions of dollars are lost, someone has to pay the price and it is usually with the loss of life.

Under a limited State of Emergency, persons from the military will have certain powers, such as seizures and search and arrest. These officers in the military will augment the manpower in the Police Service.

The Prime Minister said for the limited State of Emergency to be imposed, the proclamation and regulations were on its way to President George Maxwell Richards to sign and declare.

"Such limited State of Emergency, pursuant to Section 8.1 of our Constitution and Section 8.2, will take effect as of midnight tonight (Sunday). The limited State of Emergency will allow us to achieve a number of things in relation to crime reduction which would not be prudent for me to disclose in advance of the action taken. We are aware that such a decision will have an impact on the daily lives of innocent, law-abiding citizens in these areas but I feel confident that they will recognise and appreciate the need to protect them and bring the current crime surge affecting them under control."

The Prime Minister also read from the Proclamation which was dispatched to the President for his signature.

It reads, "Whereas it is enacted by Section 8.1 of the Constitution, that the President may, from time to time, make a proclamation that a State of Public Emergency exists, and B; that Section 8.2 of our Constitution, that the proclamation made by the President shall not be effective unless it contains a declaration that the President is satisfied that action has been taken, or is immediately threatened by any person of such a nature, and on so extensive a scale, as to be likely to endanger the public safety or deprive the community of supplies or services essential to life. And now therefore, I, George Maxwell Richards, President in pursuance of the powers conferred upon me that I am satisfied that action has been taken, or is immediately threatened by persons or bodies of persons of such a nature, and on so extensive a scale, as to be likely to endanger the public safety or to deprive the community or any substantial portion of the community, of supplies or services essential to life and a State of Public Emergency exists in Trinidad and Tobago."

Mrs Persad-Bissessar said the decision to impose a limited State of Emergency was not easily arrived at but Government must protect its people. She added that what is needed now, more than ever, is strong, affirmative action to curb the scourge of crime.

"It is not a light thing to trigger Section 8 of our Constitution but when the circumstances call for it, then I do believe it is our duty first and foremost to give the greatest protection to our citizens."

The Prime Minister confirmed that further details will be made public on Monday.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
it better stay there on a permanent basis. Because as soon as it stop all the bandits will run back out
Youtube Channel

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »
So there were some murders the past two nights?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »
i think they shouldve said which areas...arima?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »
I think there were seven murders between Thursday night and Friday night....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »

Details coming tomorrow....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »

:waiting:
Youtube Channel

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »

:waiting:

lol..ah livin there so i wa kno if i hadda mek sure to be in mih house

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
I would think yuh go get Max John Hancock b4 yuh say SOE and say what areas and curfew etc. Y the Min of Nat Sec did not make d announcement especially after u sufferin from classic dengue.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »
I think there were seven murders between Thursday night and Friday night....

Wow. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 08:01:36 PM »
And almost all of them is gang related

edit:

National Security Council Meeting August 21, 2011 (Pictures)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150289037319798.353918.348203869797&type=1
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:12:41 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
Peeps over on fb keep referring to some $20 million drug bust as the catalyst for some of the gang violence we've seen explode in the last few weeks.....ah raking mih brain trying to remember the story.......

......I'm sure removing the Police post that was set up in the East POS area didn't help either.....

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
Preacher here is one story from the Thursday into Friday bachanal where 7 people were shot and killed.  Four in Arima alone...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Police_in_the_dark_over_killings-128137088.html

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
pressure ..... dem bandit will have to go to work early and put in dome double shifts now.
But what else can be done?

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
Preacher here is one story from the Thursday into Friday bachanal where 7 people were shot and killed.  Four in Arima alone...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Police_in_the_dark_over_killings-128137088.html

Add four more last night. 3 in Laventille and 1 in E lSoccorro

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:22 PM »
Peeps over on fb keep referring to some $20 million drug bust as the catalyst for some of the gang violence we've seen explode in the last few weeks.....ah raking mih brain trying to remember the story.......

......I'm sure removing the Police post that was set up in the East POS area didn't help either.....

Must be this , this in the only big drug bust this week

$22M cocaine bust – teen in court

SEIZED COCAINE: Several packets of cocaine, estimated at $22 million, which were seized by officers of the Organised Crime, Narcotics, and Firearms Bureau, at Piarco Airport. The cocaine was found in two suitcases bound for New York. A 19-year-old youth appeared in court yesterday charged with the offence.

A 19-year-old man has been remanded in custody after appearing before an Arima magistrate yesterday charged for possession of an estimated $22 million worth of cocaine for the purposes of trafficking.

Nathaniel Bowen, of Almond Boulevard, Arima, stood in silence with his hands clasped when he appeared before Magistrate Indra Ramoo-Haynes in the First Court.

He was charged for the possession of 53.926 kilogrammes of cocaine for the purposes of trafficking; with possession of an illegal drug for the purposes of export; and possession of 10.9 grammes of marijuana.

Bowen was represented by defence attorney Reynold Waldropt.

It was alleged that at about 10.40 pm on August 16 last, officers of the Organised Crime, Narcotics and Firearms Bureau, were on duty at the Piarco International Airport, when they intercepted two suitcases that were checked in to load onto a Carribean Airlines flight destined for New York.

One of the suitcases was green. It held 25 packets of cocaine all wrapped in a blue blanket. The other suitcase was blue, and also contained 25 packets of cocaine, wrapped in an orange blanket.

Further investigations by the officers led them to detain Bowen, who it was alleged, the person who checked in the suitcases.

As a result, the teenager was arrested, and a search was conducted at his home, where officers later discovered the marijuana hidden in a green pouch. The teenager was then charged and kept in custody until his appearance before the magistrate.

After giving the court a description of the items, Police Prosecutor Sgt Fitzgerald Johnson, explained that he would be objecting to bail due to the amount of drugs seized, and the fact that the State had yet to obtain a background tracing on the young man. “I respectfully ask the court to use its discretion to please consider the amount of drugs discovered, the prevalence and the seriousness of the offence, as well as the fact that the complainants have so far been unable to obtain a tracing on the accused.

“As a result I am asking the court to deny bail at this time,” Johnson noted.

However, Waldropt dismissed this argument, saying that according to the Bail Act, bail was an entitlement to all accused persons, and that his client should not have to suffer for the police’s inability to obtain background tracings, despite keeping him in custody for over two days.

“The accused was arrested on August 16, while at work. Today is the 19th. The police had ample opportunity to secure tracings, especially in this day and age with the technology available to them.

“The accused is a teenager who lives with his parents. My instructions are that he has no previous or pending matters. He is simply a clerk at Servisair, and as a result of the circumstances of the arrest, I am respectfully asking the court for reasonable bail in this matter,” Waldropt noted, but bail was denied.

The matter is scheduled to resume on September 16.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/crime_and_court/0,145914.html
Youtube Channel

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
troubled areas revealed, according to the express

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/BREAKING-NEWS-State-of-Emergency-declared-128160123.html

Honestly i think it doh make sense cuz its a short term plan. you have the curfew for a couple weeks and then what. and if its implemented for a long term, waiz my scene? i hadda be lock up inside by 12 rite thru?

i live morvant so i eagerly await a thorough explanation to this

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: State of Emergency declared

Story Created: Aug 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM ECT

Story Updated: Aug 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM ECT

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has declared a limited State of Emergency in hot spots across the country.

The decision was made "after much deliberation with the National Security Council and members of the Cabinet" in response to the "spate of murders over the past few days".

TROUBLE ZONES

Arima, Arouca, Beetham, Carenage, Cunupia, Diego Martin, Enterprise, Felicity, Gasparillo, Grand Couva, Hermitage, Icacos, Laventille, Maloney, Morvant, Sea Lots, Trincity, Pigeon Point, Crown Point.

The PM's statement:

The entire nation has been rocked with the recent tragic news of the spate of murders over the past few days. The situation has reached proportions which the government must respond to in the most definitive manner possible. I am advised that one of the causations for the spike in murders is ironically linked to the success by the police in the discovery of large drug hauls with values in excess of twenty million dollars in just one raid. These large sums of money simply do not disappear from the drug trade without consequences and in some of the cases now occurring, this is the result.

The question though isn't just what is causing it but how do we deal with it?

As you know, we have deployed more financial and human resources than any government in recent time in dealing with the scourge of crime and until this recent upsurge the nation had been encouraged by the decline shown by year to years statistics. But a problem of this nature that has been the result of years of neglect will not disappear overnight and we reassess day by day each strategy deployed and how effective it is in achieving short term and long term objectives in reducing crime.

But the current crime spree dictates that more must be done and stronger action has to be employed now. The situation cannot continue like this without a response commensurate with the wanton acts of violence and lawlessness; it must be a response as well that will halt the current spike in gang activity and crime in general in the shortest possible time.

After much deliberation with the National Security Council and members of the Cabinet it has been agreed that the government consider the imposition of a limited state of emergency in hot spots across the country. Such a consideration must of course have the agreement of the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, His Excellency, George Maxwell Richards and I will be meeting with him to discuss this matter.

The limited state of emergency will allow us to achieve a number of things in relation to crime reduction which would not be prudent for me to disclose in advance of the action taken. We are aware that such a decision will have an impact on the daily lives of innocent, law abiding citizens in these areas but I feel confident that they will recognise and appreciate the need to protect them and bring the current crime surge affecting them under control.

We have the will to tackle the crime problem in Trinidad and Tobago and the commitment to place every resource at our disposal towards waging and winning this war on crime.

We will succeed. The nation will not be held to ransom by marauding groups of thugs bent on creating havoc on our society. The limited state of emergency in hot spots across Trinidad and Tobago is merely part of a larger aggressive reaction response by the government.

As these measures are being deployed using both out police and military we ask all citizens to bear with the inconveniences that may arise from time to time. This is in everyone's interest.

In fact, I intend to hold discussions with the Leader of the Opposition to seek his party's support with certain legislative matters in Parliament. Trinidad and Tobago comes first. Nothing is more important than the right of each citizen to be protected and to enjoy a life of peace and tranquility.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/BREAKING-NEWS-State-of-Emergency-declared-128160123.html
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »
eh? WTH i lock down too  :'(
Youtube Channel

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
pigeon point and crown point  ???

why?

but La Horquetta ent on that list  ???

i doubt this is the official list and the express just list the trouble areas in T&T

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:34 PM »
Wait. WHAT?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/trinidad-guardian/press-statement-limited-state-of-emergency/237349209634823

And den I reading dis:

Sunday 21st August, 2011

Under a limited State of Emergency, persons from the military will have certain powers, such as seizures and search and arrest. These officers in the military will augment the manpower in the Police Service.

The Prime Minister said for the limited State of Emergency to be imposed, the proclamation and regulations were on its way to President George Maxwell Richards to sign and declare.

"Such limited State of Emergency, pursuant to Section 8.1 of our Constitution and Section 8.2, will take effect as of midnight tonight (Sunday). The limited State of Emergency will allow us to achieve a number of things in relation to crime reduction which would not be prudent for me to disclose in advance of the action taken. We are aware that such a decision will have an impact on the daily lives of innocent, law-abiding citizens in these areas but I feel confident that they will recognise and appreciate the need to protect them and bring the current crime surge affecting them under control."

The Prime Minister also read from the Proclamation which was dispatched to the President for his signature.

It reads, "Whereas it is enacted by Section 8.1 of the Constitution, that the President may, from time to time, make a proclamation that a State of Public Emergency exists, and B; that Section 8.2 of our Constitution, that the proclamation made by the President shall not be effective unless it contains a declaration that the President is satisfied that action has been taken, or is immediately threatened by any person of such a nature, and on so extensive a scale, as to be likely to endanger the public safety or deprive the community of supplies or services essential to life. And now therefore, I, George Maxwell Richards, President in pursuance of the powers conferred upon me that I am satisfied that action has been taken, or is immediately threatened by persons or bodies of persons of such a nature, and on so extensive a scale, as to be likely to endanger the public safety or to deprive the community or any substantial portion of the community, of supplies or services essential to life and a State of Public Emergency exists in Trinidad and Tobago."

So dis big announcement get make and de president didnt even sign the declaration yet? Doh tell me Max find out de same time as the average citizen.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
Yes DHW.  I just found it the story.  I watch enough episodes of Locked Up Abroad to know.....dats REEEEEAAAAALLLLLL plenty cocaine for one man to try and beat them OCNU fellas and dem....he REEEEEEAAAALLLLL friggin brave dread!!.... :o :o

But who he moving it for??!!......therein lies the question..... :thinking: :thinking:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »
Wait. WHAT?

And den I reading dis:

Sunday 21st August, 2011

So dis big announcement get make and de president didnt even sign the declaration yet? Doh tell me Max find out de same time as the average citizen.

d 'cart before d horse' syndrome. seems like the norm wid dis government

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »
Bourbon, from a repeat of the press conference I caught on CNMG it appears as though she and the Pres discussed it so he is expecting the document.

But the press release gives the impression that some deliberations still had to take place with different stakeholders namely the Pres and the Opp. leader.......

And ah still trying to figure out why would the PM announce to all and sundry that this limited state of emergency coming but the Pres eh sign it yet and its announced about 4 hours before he sign it?? 

To me dat just giving the bad boys a heads up??    :-\

But ah trying to hush mih mouth until more details come to light.....is just that mih doubts about this jokey government wont allow mih to stay quiet.....

Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2011, 09:13:21 PM »
Bourbon, from a repeat of the press conference I caught on CNMG it appears as though she and the Pres discussed it so he is expecting the document.

But the press release gives the impression that some deliberations still had to take place with different stakeholders namely the Pres and the Opp. leader.......

And ah still trying to figure out why would the PM announce to all and sundry that this limited state of emergency coming but the Pres eh sign it yet and its announced about 4 hours before he sign it?? 

To me dat just giving the bad boys a heads up??    :-\

But ah trying to hush mih mouth until more details come to light.....is just that mih doubts about this jokey government wont allow mih to stay quiet.....

I definately hope that they met and discussed that because to take a decision like that without the president is really poor form. Hopefully verbal consent was given and it just needs to be signed.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>