April 28, 2024, 02:49:11 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 162428 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2011, 09:14:17 PM »
Yes DHW.  I just found it the story.  I watch enough episodes of Locked Up Abroad to know.....dats REEEEEAAAAALLLLLL plenty cocaine for one man to try and beat them OCNU fellas and dem....he REEEEEEAAAALLLLL friggin brave dread!!.... :o :o

But who he moving it for??!!......therein lies the question..... :thinking: :thinking:

some syrian or indian
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
pigeon point and crown point  ???

why?

but La Horquetta ent on that list  ???

i doubt this is the official list and the express just list the trouble areas in T&T

La Horquetta is in Arima
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »
Yes Sammy, but which one in particular....unless we hold he or she, we spinning top in mud by holding this 19 year old....*sigh*

@ Bourbon, yes I got the impression that a verbal agreement was made is just to sign.   Still, I find something as serious as this should be announced AFTER the pres done sign....oh well.....let's see how this is going to play out....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
Any plans to enlist the help of the army?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:43 PM »
Any plans to enlist the help of the army?

yes the army and police working together. the state of emergency gives them the right to arrest ppl
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
Wait. WHAT?

Press release:-

After much deliberation with the National Security Council and members of the Cabinet it has been agreed that the government consider the imposition of a limited state of emergency in hot spots across the country. Such a consideration must of course have the agreement of the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, His Excellency, George Maxwell Richards and I will be meeting with him to discuss this matter.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/trinidad-guardian/press-statement-limited-state-of-emergency/237349209634823

And den I reading dis:

PM announces limited State of Emergency in crime hot spots
Sunday 21st August, 2011

Under a limited State of Emergency, persons from the military will have certain powers, such as seizures and search and arrest. These officers in the military will augment the manpower in the Police Service.

The Prime Minister said for the limited State of Emergency to be imposed, the proclamation and regulations were on its way to President George Maxwell Richards to sign and declare.

"Such limited State of Emergency, pursuant to Section 8.1 of our Constitution and Section 8.2, will take effect as of midnight tonight (Sunday). The limited State of Emergency will allow us to achieve a number of things in relation to crime reduction which would not be prudent for me to disclose in advance of the action taken. We are aware that such a decision will have an impact on the daily lives of innocent, law-abiding citizens in these areas but I feel confident that they will recognise and appreciate the need to protect them and bring the current crime surge affecting them under control."

The Prime Minister also read from the Proclamation which was dispatched to the President for his signature.

It reads, "Whereas it is enacted by Section 8.1 of the Constitution, that the President may, from time to time, make a proclamation that a State of Public Emergency exists, and B; that Section 8.2 of our Constitution, that the proclamation made by the President shall not be effective unless it contains a declaration that the President is satisfied that action has been taken, or is immediately threatened by any person of such a nature, and on so extensive a scale, as to be likely to endanger the public safety or deprive the community of supplies or services essential to life. And now therefore, I, George Maxwell Richards, President in pursuance of the powers conferred upon me that I am satisfied that action has been taken, or is immediately threatened by persons or bodies of persons of such a nature, and on so extensive a scale, as to be likely to endanger the public safety or to deprive the community or any substantial portion of the community, of supplies or services essential to life and a State of Public Emergency exists in Trinidad and Tobago."

So dis big announcement get make and de president didnt even sign the declaration yet? Doh tell me Max find out de same time as the average citizen.

d 'cart before d horse' syndrome. seems like the norm wid dis government

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »
Yes Sammy, but which one in particular....unless we hold he or she, we spinning top in mud by holding this 19 year old....*sigh*

@ Bourbon, yes I got the impression that a verbal agreement was made is just to sign.   Still, I find something as serious as this should be announced AFTER the pres done sign....oh well.....let's see how this is going to play out....

I hear this 19 year old has 3 sets of prime wheels with led's in the rims and all the trimmings. Seems like they paying good money up at Piarco!!

I was just limin down by Frankies on Ariapita after the game. Suddenly they announce they're closing due to SoE. Town already closing down.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 09:49:28 PM »
Yes DHW.  I just found it the story.  I watch enough episodes of Locked Up Abroad to know.....dats REEEEEAAAAALLLLLL plenty cocaine for one man to try and beat them OCNU fellas and dem....he REEEEEEAAAALLLLL friggin brave dread!!.... :o :o

But who he moving it for??!!......therein lies the question..... :thinking: :thinking:

Who resign recently from they big post? Maybe somebody like that?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
I real skeptical about this.

truetrini

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 09:55:17 PM »
I real skeptical about this.

Last ditch effort by a government bereft of solutions!  Just yesterday Dr Roodal Moonilal said no need ofe a state of emergency then this/  steups.

look here; there man of business said no s o emergency   http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Moonilal__No_need_for_State_of_Emergency-128137078.html
Recent upsurge in killings...

By Ria Taitt and Susan Mohammed 
Story Created: Aug 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM ECT
 Story Updated: Aug 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM ECT
LEADER of Government business Dr Roodal Moonilal said yesterday citizens ought not to feel insecure following the recent upsurge in killings.
Moonilal disagreed that there was a need for a State of Emergency with the killing of seven people on Friday night, taking the murder toll to 256.
Moonilal said: "I think citizens should still feel secure. I think there is an upsurge in the gang related activity that is creating an unease, but I am very confident in Mr John Sandy and the Police Service to respond to this challenge."

Asked how Government was planning to tackle the crime situation, Moonilal said the Minister of National Security had plans and strategies which he was confident will work.

He said: "I am aware of Mr Sandy's plans and he has a variety of strategies to combat crime. I am very confident that in the short term we will see the results of that."

Speaking in his capacity as Deputy Political Leader of the United National Congress earlier yesterday Moonilal said he was convinced that the excursion of former UNC leader Basdeo Panday into Port of Spain had to do with the apparent vacuum in the Opposition.

"Dr Keith Rowley (Opposition Leader) has not been able to stabilise the Opposition and by his own reckless statements has further appeared to be disjunctive in his politics," Moonilal said. "Mr Panday with an acute political mind may be sniffing at an opening in the Opposition in terms of the body politic. His outdoor activity may suggest that he is sensing the weaknesses in the Opposition and in the People's National Movement."
On the controversy within the Public Services Association, which led to confrontation between members of the General Council, Moonilal said Government has observed the happenings in the PSA.

"I can only hope that the matter is stabilised soon in the interest of all the members of the PSA and the wider working class."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:15:42 PM by Trinity Cross »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
this aint making sense.....

state of emergency for what-....it aint no coup.....STEUPS

Its only going to create panic to the civilian population...and d gangs are winning here....
Ah say it, how ah see it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »
I gotta say, this is extreme. I mean, two weeks ago, England was literally on fire and for two nights, police had no control, but there was no state of emergency. SoE is the absoloute last resort. Ok, the drug bust is gonna cause some serious gang unrest, but why not just flood the areas with police and army? I know that the SoE gives additional powers, but I'm certain the problem is not the laws, its the people enforcing them. Gibbs has to to earn his money and come up with a plan. Putting a country on lockdown is not the soloution.

Trust me, real youths gonna have a field day while innocent citizens can't take a late movie at Movie Towne.

You also have to consider the bar staff, fast food vendors etc who will lose wages due to this.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »
this just feelin real half baked, lablash and "under thought" even with ah limited state of emergency, I real uncomfortable givin police and army sweepin powers especially these days..............I wonder if dey going an sit these fellas down and give them clear instructions on how to engage the general public when this goes into full swing......especially given that there might be obvious(but unfortunately necessary profiling going on,

it have real poomewons dat does look lil gangsta normal..normal
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:29:27 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »
this just feelin real half baked, lablash and "under thought" even with ah limited state of emergency, I real uncomfortable givin police and army sweepin powers especially these days..............I wonder if dey going an sit these fellas down and give them clear instructions on how to engage the general public when this goes into full swing......especially given that there might be obvious(but unfortunately necessary profiling going on,

it have real poomewons dat does look lil gangsta normal..normal

Lets be honest, the police are already overstepping their powers sometimes (though it may be justified in some small way.) When you see supposed criminals shot 6 times in the back, what more power do they need?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
totally agree
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 11:16:03 PM »
Last ditch effort by a government bereft of solutions!  Just yesterday Dr Roodal Moonilal said no need ofe a state of emergency then this/  steups.

Yeah, same sense I getting.  Is like they have no plan, never had a plan... and now that they in office they trying ah thing.  Is almost like Kamla parents gone tuh work and leave she alone at home, so she playing grown up... except she playing PM in this case.  Leh we see what other toys it have in this PM bag.

I gotta say, this is extreme. I mean, two weeks ago, England was literally on fire and for two nights, police had no control, but there was no state of emergency. SoE is the absoloute last resort. Ok, the drug bust is gonna cause some serious gang unrest, but why not just flood the areas with police and army? I know that the SoE gives additional powers, but I'm certain the problem is not the laws, its the people enforcing them. Gibbs has to to earn his money and come up with a plan. Putting a country on lockdown is not the soloution.

Trust me, real youths gonna have a field day while innocent citizens can't take a late movie at Movie Towne.

You also have to consider the bar staff, fast food vendors etc who will lose wages due to this.

How in the world you declaring a state of emergency for a contained (to the affected areas) crime wave is beyond me.  What that mean exactly... curfew in only the affected areas?  So man in Valencia and Grande could lime normal but man in Arima under lockdown?

Reactionary governance.  Not that it just limited to the PP (before man come in here bumping they gum about politics)... but things was supposed to be different.  First they condemn Manning et al for "infringing on people's privacy" with the eavesdropping talk.  Next, when yuh do hear de shout, last week they making requests to Bmobile to "monitor" people cellphone conversation.  Not a peep was heard about that.  Now state of emergency declared.  I want to know exactly what that mean... powers of arrest w/o probable cause?  They could search yuh home w/o a warrant?  Lock yuh up without taking yuh in front a judge?  what that mean exactly?

Very slippery slope we treading.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 11:43:17 PM »
Exactly. My peeps from grande rushing home at 10.30 so they're not on the roads.
Like if you lockdown Sealots & Beetham, you can't travel on the highway, and if you close down Lavantille & Belmont, you can't travel Lady Young and then you close down Morvant and Curepe so you can't travel EMR.

So, if you're a worker at, say Hilton and your shift finishes at midnight and you live in St Augustine, how you getting home? Especially if you travel. And a lot of those maxi & taxi men only work nights, so where's their bread coming from? What happens if you have a flight to catch at 2 a.m., or worse, your flight lands at 2 a.m, who's picking you up??

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
How come belmont eh make that list?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37:14 AM »
I in favor...

Ah mean at the very least i could say dey trying something and letting them criminals know that shit serious. All the talk of measures and programs, and this and that, nobody taking them on and dem bandits eh seeing no consequences.

The crime situation out here real outta hand. That scene in Arima.. The S is that they call a hit on a man and they just went into the area in Jonestown, Arima and start firing indiscriminately. People run everywhere to take cover, the guy they was looking for run into a shop along with some other people and they spray the whole shop. An innocent woman who went to buy a loaf got shot as well.

Light ah fire under dey ass I say. I see some people saying discrimination, but I also remember people in them same hotspots was calling for this when it was first discussed in the Ken Gordon report. People in some zones living in fear, coming home from work and cant get a taxi to reach inside because is war going on and every night is gunshots ringing out.

I mean, I too aint know how they plan to make this work with the limited zones scene but i waiting to hear more details.

Like i say.... At least dey trying something.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 01:12:50 AM »
I hope they have critical info so they can gear up and go to war.  That's a good reason to keep people of the streets.  Hopefully there is some major tactical plans about to be unleashed.  In a situation like this they can't say to much anyways.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 02:00:39 AM »
I in favor...

Ah mean at the very least i could say dey trying something and letting them criminals know that shit serious. All the talk of measures and programs, and this and that, nobody taking them on and dem bandits eh seeing no consequences.

The crime situation out here real outta hand. That scene in Arima.. The S is that they call a hit on a man and they just went into the area in Jonestown, Arima and start firing indiscriminately. People run everywhere to take cover, the guy they was looking for run into a shop along with some other people and they spray the whole shop. An innocent woman who went to buy a loaf got shot as well.

Light ah fire under dey ass I say. I see some people saying discrimination, but I also remember people in them same hotspots was calling for this when it was first discussed in the Ken Gordon report. People in some zones living in fear, coming home from work and cant get a taxi to reach inside because is war going on and every night is gunshots ringing out.

I mean, I too aint know how they plan to make this work with the limited zones scene but i waiting to hear more details.

This only underscores how reactionary and ass-backward the idea is. Supposed them gunmen and dem was from San Juan... locking down Arima doing what exactly?  Matter of fact if I was a "community leader" from D'Abadie and I have beef with another "community leader" from Mausica... now self I going and shoot up Mausica so they could lock it down and send all de business my way.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 04:04:31 AM »
I in favor...

Ah tempted eh but...... :-X  ;D

Yeah.  This government trying something since they reach.  Only problem is we doh know what and dem eh know what either.......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 04:47:37 AM »
curfew 9pm to 5am in the areas
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 05:01:14 AM »
critical info my asws...psa slippin from watson duke hands...kamla bummy...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2011, 05:26:58 AM »
Lock it dong! Personally I want to see some more liberties taken away. If that's the way this nonsense can be dealt with, so be it. Theres always a price to pay... for shit to be cleaned up.

Bunch on non-victims always have something to say! Freedom my ass!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2011, 05:40:55 AM »
 I am also in favor in principle.
Time the police and army have some power to move in and handle these beasts.
Trinidad is no longer the happy island of years ago, is now yuh walking down the street in broad daylight and looking over yuh shoulder. No freedom to wear yuh lil gold chain or stop by ah nice look out spot with a ting an take in the sunset, is bandit with gun and cutlass coming to murder and rape.
What plan people expected that any government could implement in 18 mths that could make a marked difference?
Let me know and lets give it to them.
The downside of this is it could be an opportunity for the rogue cops to run riot, take out competition, set up man, thief etc.

But the biggest question I have is .
They hold a 19yr man/boy for the 22million in coke and put him before the courts, why in god's name they did not offer the lil fella some nice money and witness protection to start the trail to the big men?
This man/boy could not be running his own operation and have millions to spend on drugs, but not a word as usual and not a word will be heard and that is what is frightening. The bigs boys free to continue importing and exporting the drugs and getting lil black boys to run around killing each other and innocent people.
So if at the end of the day they use the special powers under the state of emergency to go after the big boys or Mr Big and at the same time clean up the place of the beasts I happy as pappy, but the alternative also could be worse.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2011, 06:01:08 AM »
That 19 yr old youth as good as dead....yuh cyar 4kup a coke haul big so.

Remember the Monos island bust and who body was found with he head missing after.

I say have curfew...go in yuh house early and cool it. It's not like yuh coulda roam around carefree in the night anyway.

Yes yuh cyar lime or take yuh drink and business will suffer...but is only for a while.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »
They hold a 19yr man/boy for the 22million in coke and put him before the courts, why in god's name they did not offer the lil fella some nice money and witness protection to start the trail to the big men?

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Fishs, you living outside ah while now??  What witness protection you talking about??   :rotfl: :rotfl:

On another but related note.  Ah thinking it over last night and all I could come up with is very, very, very cautious support.  Hear what bugging mih eh.  For the past few weeks this government has been touting that the murder rate is going down.  They were singing Gibbs' praises.  And that they have plans that working but taking a while (now when Martin Joseph said that dey pong him into the ground eh). 

Soooooo uuuuummm, I take it that overnight with all the murders over the weekend from Thursday changed all that??  This government has yet to outline a plan for fighting crime but came into power and started to dismantle all the apparatus put in place by the former administration.  The thing is one gets the sense that this dismantling was nothing more than getting rid of any thing PNM but they had no plans of their own.  For example, as soon as the police posts in the East of POS were removed the shootings and killings in those areas started back.

Now I'm hearing that Moonilal or one ah dem this morning saying this limited state of emergency is just another method to complement what is already happening.  Well I beg to differ.  To me calling a state of emergency, limited or otherwise, is not a complement to nothing.  Its a last resort.  Because if this fails then what??  Lock down the whole country??

I'm very, very cautious because this government is yet to show me they are competent at even the most basic things.  I have no confidence that they know what they hell dey doing and is quite content to try ah thing every Monday morning.   That cannot be good for our country....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »
Here's whats happening. This youth man sing like Pavarotti. They know who done what and where. But if you're going after the big dogs and his krew, theres gonna be a lot of what the US like to call collateral damage. They naming several hotspots to camoflage the actual target area. Expect to see major gun battles over the next week and lots of gangstas coming out dead. This 11 murder thing is a smokescreen. When you study it, 4 people killed in one incident, a woman killed probably as a hit by her husband in jail, 2 men killed in a gang shooting with a third guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just another Trini weekend. But it gives them an excuse to act on the intelligence gleaned from the drug haul to increase police powers.

IMO, if this is the case, it is wrong to use a limited SOE. This is a police operation not an emergency. The only reason for a SOE is so that police don't have to follow usual rules of engagement. It will be a slaughter (which may be deserved).

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2011, 07:13:07 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Fishs, you living outside ah while now??  What witness protection you talking about??   :rotfl: :rotfl:

6 weeks outside 3 weeks home.
Ah hear about our so called witness protection programme but for the possibilities , the US DEA could get involved and help out , but supporter say the man sing , so things happening maybe.
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>