April 28, 2024, 08:20:12 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 162447 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #390 on: August 26, 2011, 09:27:08 AM »
I MISSPOKE
Gibbs on statement that all of T&T under curfew:
By Akile Simon

COMMISSIONER of Police Dwayne Gibbs yesterday admitted that he misspoke when he stated that the entire country was under curfew restrictions from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Gibbs was criticised by several radio talk-show hosts and members of the public yesterday, as his statement contradicted those of National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy and Attorney General Anand Ramlogan.

On Tuesday, at a news briefing at the National Security Ministry in Port of Spain, Sandy and Ramlogan said citizens living in communities in which there are no curfew restrictions were free to go about their business.

Sandy stated that persons who live outside the curfew zones were free to congregate on the roadways, and even have parties in their communities, once they conform to the rule of law.

However, when Gibbs was told by the Express on Wednesday that police officers have continued to impose curfew restrictions in several communities which are not listed under the Emergency Powers Curfew Order 2011, Gibbs said as far as he was aware, the curfew restrictions apply throughout the country.

The Express yesterday published Gibbs's statement as its lead story, headlined "Curfew Everywhere".

The Police Service Public Affairs Unit and the Ministry of National Security immediately reacted to the story, stating that the curfew was in effect in the six identified areas.

The release issued by the Ministry of National Security stated: "The current state of emergency applies to the national community. The 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew, however, is applied only to those areas identified as "hot spots" within the municipal corporation areas, including Port of Spain, San Fernando, Arima, Chaguanas, San Juan/Laventille and Diego Martin."

The release from the Public Affairs Unit of the Police Service stated: "Statements attributed to the Commissioner of Police in the media have created some confusion regarding the state of emergency and the curfew hours now imposed.

"Kindly note that the Curfew Order 2011 proclaimed by the President for the imposition of the state of emergency, states that the order is for Trinidad and Tobago and not just Trinidad."

The statement went on to list the areas under curfew restrictions.

Speaking at yesterday's joint post-Cabinet news conference at the Prime Minister's St Clair office, Commissioner Gibbs said he misspoke when he stated that curfew restrictions are to be enforced throughout the county.

Gibbs said: "I want to start by talking about my comments yesterday (Wednesday) to the media and obviously I misspoke yesterday.

"My intent was to say the state of emergency was throughout Trinidad and Tobago, with of course specific areas that have been identified and published already in the newspapers as far as areas, already where curfews will be held.

"...We are asking for cooperation of all citizens to honour that curfew. Even if they are not in those specific areas, it makes it easier for the Police Service and the protective service agencies to do their work and to do it in a fair manner that's going to affect safety and security of all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago," Gibbs said.

Editor's note: The curfew order was signed by acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams and not proclaimed by the President, as stated in the Police Service Public Affairs Unit's press release.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 26, 2011, 10:37:12 AM »
I MISSPOKE
Gibbs on statement that all of T&T under curfew:
By Akile Simon

COMMISSIONER of Police Dwayne Gibbs yesterday admitted that he misspoke when he stated that the entire country was under curfew restrictions from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Gibbs was criticised by several radio talk-show hosts and members of the public yesterday, as his statement contradicted those of National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy and Attorney General Anand Ramlogan.

On Tuesday, at a news briefing at the National Security Ministry in Port of Spain, Sandy and Ramlogan said citizens living in communities in which there are no curfew restrictions were free to go about their business.

Sandy stated that persons who live outside the curfew zones were free to congregate on the roadways, and even have parties in their communities, once they conform to the rule of law.

However, when Gibbs was told by the Express on Wednesday that police officers have continued to impose curfew restrictions in several communities which are not listed under the Emergency Powers Curfew Order 2011, Gibbs said as far as he was aware, the curfew restrictions apply throughout the country.

The Express yesterday published Gibbs's statement as its lead story, headlined "Curfew Everywhere".

The Police Service Public Affairs Unit and the Ministry of National Security immediately reacted to the story, stating that the curfew was in effect in the six identified areas.

The release issued by the Ministry of National Security stated: "The current state of emergency applies to the national community. The 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew, however, is applied only to those areas identified as "hot spots" within the municipal corporation areas, including Port of Spain, San Fernando, Arima, Chaguanas, San Juan/Laventille and Diego Martin."

The release from the Public Affairs Unit of the Police Service stated: "Statements attributed to the Commissioner of Police in the media have created some confusion regarding the state of emergency and the curfew hours now imposed.

"Kindly note that the Curfew Order 2011 proclaimed by the President for the imposition of the state of emergency, states that the order is for Trinidad and Tobago and not just Trinidad."

The statement went on to list the areas under curfew restrictions.

Speaking at yesterday's joint post-Cabinet news conference at the Prime Minister's St Clair office, Commissioner Gibbs said he misspoke when he stated that curfew restrictions are to be enforced throughout the county.

Gibbs said: "I want to start by talking about my comments yesterday (Wednesday) to the media and obviously I misspoke yesterday.

"My intent was to say the state of emergency was throughout Trinidad and Tobago, with of course specific areas that have been identified and published already in the newspapers as far as areas, already where curfews will be held.

"...We are asking for cooperation of all citizens to honour that curfew. Even if they are not in those specific areas, it makes it easier for the Police Service and the protective service agencies to do their work and to do it in a fair manner that's going to affect safety and security of all citizens of Trinidad and Tobago," Gibbs said.

Editor's note: The curfew order was signed by acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams and not proclaimed by the President, as stated in the Police Service Public Affairs Unit's press release.

500+ words on about 5. hmmmmmm ... daiz where we reach   :-\

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 26, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »
It is logical to assume that the proclamation of a State of Emergency had more to do with preventing National Industrial Action.

Given the smoke screens perpetrated by this Government to avert attention away from their constant missteps in the past...who can forget the shenanigans around the Reshmi fiasco, The Nizam Mohammad debacle, etc. etc. Why is beyond the pale to assume that this SoE is merely another distraction?

Why is a State of Emergency, and the abrogation of civil liberties essential to capture KNOWN bad guys, gang leaders, and other malignant members of society?

How is it that suddenly the police can now find and cart of persons known to them? Persons with outstanding warrants etc.?

I find it inherently strange and incredulous that Government says it requires a state of emergency to catch and arrest bandits.

Is that true?

According to the Attorney General, The Minister of National Security and the Honourable Prime Minister it is so!

They claim that this State of Emergency is essential, that in order for the protective arms of government to function effectively, we need complete abrogation of civil rights and liberties for them to be successful at catching criminal elements.

What a crocus bag of ass talk that is!

Their story does not make sense, and while law abiding citizens welcome the arrest and removal of criminals from our streets, we should not take lightly any government that responds to criticism in a knee jerk fashion. 

Just a day before the imposition of this SoE, the Head of Government Business in the House, Dr. Moonilal stated he saw no need for a State of Emergency, only for one to be forced upon us by an unthinking Cabinet.

This shows a government wilting under pressure to fulfill a promise that they have a plan (within 120 days of coming into power) that cause a reduced crime rate, that they will improve the economy, and favorably and justifiably deal with labour issues.

This is another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

:beermug:  Precisamente!

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 26, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »
I was to ask this question awhile back.  With the SOE, if people have to work a night shift, they have to get permission to go to work if u in the restriction zones? 

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #394 on: August 26, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
I was to ask this question awhile back.  With the SOE, if people have to work a night shift, they have to get permission to go to work if u in the restriction zones? 
They can't work. Businesses have to close.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 26, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »

As a friend told me yday dey was running d economy wit d handbrakes up now dey switch of d car.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 26, 2011, 11:36:17 AM »

Some businesses that rely on shift labor have adjusted their shift hours.. For example, i know bank security and operations normally runs 3 shifts, 6-2, 2-10, 10-6..  They have now changed that to two 6am-6pm shifts to provide coverage during the curfew hours. Costly because that is 4 hours OT to be paid per person on each shift, so i guess they move around personnel from each shift to suit..

Many non-essential shift-based businesses close early and adjust down to one or two shifts and move around staff according.

It is logical to assume that the proclamation of a State of Emergency had more to do with preventing National Industrial Action.

Given the smoke screens perpetrated by this Government to avert attention away from their constant missteps in the past...who can forget the shenanigans around the Reshmi fiasco, The Nizam Mohammad debacle, etc. etc. Why is beyond the pale to assume that this SoE is merely another distraction?

Why is a State of Emergency, and the abrogation of civil liberties essential to capture KNOWN bad guys, gang leaders, and other malignant members of society?

How is it that suddenly the police can now find and cart of persons known to them? Persons with outstanding warrants etc.?

I find it inherently strange and incredulous that Government says it requires a state of emergency to catch and arrest bandits.

Is that true?

According to the Attorney General, The Minister of National Security and the Honourable Prime Minister it is so!

They claim that this State of Emergency is essential, that in order for the protective arms of government to function effectively, we need complete abrogation of civil rights and liberties for them to be successful at catching criminal elements.

Their story does not make sense, and while law abiding citizens welcome the arrest and removal of criminals from our streets, we should not take lightly any government that responds to criticism in a knee jerk fashion. 

Just a day before the imposition of this SoE, the Head of Government Business in the House, Dr. Moonilal stated he saw no need for a State of Emergency, only for one to be forced upon us by an unthinking Cabinet.

This shows a government wilting under pressure to fulfill a promise that they have a plan (within 120 days of coming into power) that cause a reduced crime rate, that they will improve the economy, and favorably and justifiably deal with labour issues.

This is entirely plausible and not far-fetched...  Lets wait and see.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »

Some businesses that rely on shift labor have adjusted their shift hours.. For example, i know bank security and operations normally runs 3 shifts, 6-2, 2-10, 10-6..  They have now changed that to two 6am-6pm shifts to provide coverage during the curfew hours. Costly because that is 4 hours OT to be paid per person on each shift, so i guess they move around personnel from each shift to suit..

Many non-essential shift-based businesses close early and adjust down to one or two shifts and move around staff according.

Is that true?

This is entirely plausible and not far-fetched...  Lets wait and see.

so if you running a 24/7 call center, what you have to say on the message lines...due to the SOE, we are closed have a good day!  Jah!  That real tuff

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #398 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »

As a friend told me yday dey was running d economy wit d handbrakes up now dey switch of d car.
Talking about that ent budget preparations going on? I know those meetings tend to go late into the morning. I guess they have to use skype.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 26, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

Talking about that ent budget preparations going on? I know those meetings tend to go late into the morning. I guess they have to use skype.

Good pt

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 26, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Look all yuh need to stop this man....this is serious thing going on here..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 26, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
So on Wednesday it was....
CURFEW EVERYWHERE

And yesterday it was....
I MISSPOKE

Attributed to the Commish.....one thing one day, ah next thing in 24 hours later......more proof that these people eh have a f^%^$*ng clue!!!

Lets wait and see.

Dinho, I like your sense of eternal optimism about this PP government ya know.   I do, I really do...

Now I coulda tell yuh from since Sunday night this SOE didn't have one blasted thing to do with crime or very little.  But you woulda tell mih is because I just doh like de PP.  I didn't know why the SOE was implemented and I still doh know.  But ah could tell yuh it has little to do with crime.

But like yuh say....let's wait and see....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:24:18 PM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 26, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
Police catch a big Grouper fish in Hyatt . I hear they have a phone that contain plenty info too
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:20:16 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2011, 04:27:19 PM »
As the Ag say the people they going after are the big, big,big fish, that sound like a whale but i still seeing sardine .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
Police catch a big Grouper fish in Hyatt . I hear they have a phone that contain plenty info too

Cyar wait for news to start....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »
so if you running a 24/7 call center, what you have to say on the message lines...due to the SOE, we are closed have a good day!  Jah!  That real tuff

Nah not really. You have to adjust the times. The staff may have to work longer hours but less days. They will have to bring extra food and underwear(in case of extreme emergency). Of course they will have to get double time pay. I work in a 24/hr operation for about 10 yrs. There has been at least one person in here every min. of the day in them 10 yrs.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
travelling on the bus route heading west this evening and BIG roadblock by Bangldesh in St. Joseph. Two truckload of army personnel and about 30 police searching EVERY maxi. A big police guy came into my maxi walked down the aisle looking at each and every one of our faces. very intimidating to be honest. looked out the window and saw passengers from other maxis being rubbed down.

Im telling u, this SOE is affecting me emotionally. and I am not even joking.its affecting my psyche.

Five days after the beginning of the SOE, the government keep calling these figures of who they arrest and how much guns they find. but ALL this could have been achieved WITHOUT implementing this SOE

after five days i give them a FAIL so far. but ten more days to go, so let me see if  any drastic results will be achieved.

Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
travelling on the bus route heading west this evening and BIG roadblock by Bangldesh in St. Joseph. Two truckload of army personnel and about 30 police searching EVERY maxi. A big police guy came into my maxi walked down the aisle looking at each and every one of our faces. very intimidating to be honest. looked out the window and saw passengers from other maxis being rubbed down.

Im telling u, this SOE is affecting me emotionally. and I am not even joking.its affecting my psyche.

Five days after the beginning of the SOE, the government keep calling these figures of who they arrest and how much guns they find. but ALL this could have been achieved WITHOUT implementing this SOE

after five days i give them a FAIL so far. but ten more days to go, so let me see if  any drastic results will be achieved.

To be honest, I'd like to see more of this. I know it was a bit scary for you, Steups, but it would be scarier for the bandits. If they can't move at night, they must move by day. Addicts still need their fix, so business must continue. I'd like to see some stop and searches on the highway. Yes, it would cause big delays, but damn, if we're gonna miss two perfectly good limin weekends, lets at least get the f**kers who caused all this!

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2011, 07:12:18 PM »

he watching people in the face to see who flinching and acting nervous. They dread
Youtube Channel

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
COMING SOON 2 A CINEMA NEAR U FINDING NEMO -THE SEQUEAL

THE SEARCH FOR A BIG FISH

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »
Anybody have any positive news.  Pure facts without anti-government swing we done know they mess up.  any progress on crime, crooks etc?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »
Anybody have any positive news.  Pure facts without anti-government swing we done know they mess up.  any progress on crime, crooks etc?

Check CNMG......dey have all the positiveness yuh looking for....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »

Check CNMG......dey have all the positiveness yuh looking for....

:D  K thanks.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
Just checked it out.  It doesn't seem to have any police or army getting killed, that's good.  Collecting bandits without bloodshed is good. 

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
Dont think them bandits up for that nah. Them police and army rolling with some serious weapons this rounds. Plus they seem trigger happy these days. Shoot first, let God sort them out mentality.
Youtube Channel

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »
yuh sure it wasn't in "crown plaza"
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
I'd be very interested to see the views of the relatives of the people being arrested, both now, and if they are found guilty. I have seen video of arrests, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see that every person arrested is apparently innocent and "ent dun nuttin".

I'm sure, some people are innocent. I'm also sure in rare cases that relatives don't know these people are bandits. But 95% of relatives must, at least, be suspicious if their relatives are unemployed, yet buying designer clothes, expensive bling, the latest phones etc. When you live in a close knit community where there are gangs, you know the gang members. So if Akiel, who is a good boy, is spending all his time with known gang members, it seems fairly obvious that he's also in the gang.

That said, I would love to see these relatives, who are screaming out against the police, interviewed once the guy is charged and sentenced.

It can't be easy to see a loved one arrested, but in your heart, if you know he's involved in criminal activity, stop the screaming. Instead, perhaps, be apologetic to his victims, reflect on how you let this happen and have some self respect.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »
Dont think them bandits up for that nah. Them police and army rolling with some serious weapons this rounds. Plus they seem trigger happy these days. Shoot first, let God sort them out mentality.

Those that pray on the innocent never up for it.  It remind me of this scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS3QtFnBiDw

"Ever notice you come across somebody once in awhile"     LOL
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:23:59 PM by Preacher »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »

he watching people in the face to see who flinching and acting nervous. They dread

And if yuh flinch and act nervous what dat mean?  steups....

Allyuh act like allyuh doh know police in Trinidad think they's god.  All ah dat intimidation shit is just part ah de gun and badge pappyshow.  I fail to see the point in all of that, despite what FS saying (I swear you need to move to Russia or China where police could trample on yuh rights and yuh could thank them for it)... they easily coulda set up roadblock same way and board the maxis.  Aside from that, if they know who they looking for why they eh go where they living or might be found?  Maxis?

Please.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
ANAND RAMLOGAN couldn't find a piano. Do you expect him to find any REAL big fish in T&T

1]; } ?>