April 18, 2024, 07:46:14 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 161404 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #480 on: August 27, 2011, 10:00:17 PM »
"Another thing that bother me was that today he said about 90% of people held were not charged under the emergency powers so do not have access to the tribunal. I not understanding where and how the distinction is made, and how that impacts on the rights of the people being held." 

I'm not positive, but I believe the point of the SOE was to induct the army as police.
The army are not necessarily au fait with police procedure, so people may claim wronful arrest. The SOE also allows them to search without a warrent and arrest without charge. Once arrested, most of these people will eventually be charged under the anti gang laws, but it was arresting them that proved the problem

The pnm have openly said that they would not have backed the anti gang laws if they realised they would be used in this way. However, I feel the end justifies the means.

No the point of the SoE is to suspend civil liberties and grant "emergency" powers not subject to due process limitations.  As part of that they may grant powers of arrest to the army.

As for the ends justifying the means... always easy to say when it's not your ass in a bind.  I'd like to see them round you up and have you sit in jail for four months without bail, without charge, and without trial... surrounded by some genuine criminals who then prey on you.  After four months they release yuh normal normal like nothing happen, without compensation or apology.  Let me hear you talk then about the ends justifying the means.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 27, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Bakes, ah feel yuh extradition papers arriving on Monday  :devil:

I have a question for you regarding lawyer integrity. I'm seeing Om Lalla on CrimeWatch helping to fight the criminals. But how can he justifyably be doing this when he's represented Warner and Camps for so long? I know everyone is entitled to legal representation and lawyers represent all kinds of heinous villains as they believe everyone has the right to a fair trial. But the Lalla/Warner thing is different. Its like those Mafia lawyers. Lalla must know Warner does shady stuff, and if he chooses to be T&T's version of a mafia lawyer, so be it. But he's now becoming T&T's best known lawyer, and many people aren't aware he represents Warner & Camps. How would he survive now if there was a really big legal controversy involving Warner or Camps?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 27, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
"Another thing that bother me was that today he said about 90% of people held were not charged under the emergency powers so do not have access to the tribunal. I not understanding where and how the distinction is made, and how that impacts on the rights of the people being held." 

I'm not positive, but I believe the point of the SOE was to induct the army as police.
The army are not necessarily au fait with police procedure, so people may claim wronful arrest. The SOE also allows them to search without a warrent and arrest without charge. Once arrested, most of these people will eventually be charged under the anti gang laws, but it was arresting them that proved the problem

The pnm have openly said that they would not have backed the anti gang laws if they realised they would be used in this way. However, I feel the end justifies the means.

No the point of the SoE is to suspend civil liberties and grant "emergency" powers not subject to due process limitations.  As part of that they may grant powers of arrest to the army.

As for the ends justifying the means... always easy to say when it's not your ass in a bind.  I'd like to see them round you up and have you sit in jail for four months without bail, without charge, and without trial... surrounded by some genuine criminals who then prey on you.  After four months they release yuh normal normal like nothing happen, without compensation or apology.  Let me hear you talk then about the ends justifying the means.

Thats precisely why I do not involve myself in criminal activity or associate with known criminals. You see, Bakes, I have a choice.

Now I know you can't choose your family and you may be arrested by association. If I had the same situation here as I had in London with a step son involved in gangs, I guess I would be worried about my family being dragged down too. But if I complained about it not being fair, you and everyone else would say I should have informed on him, and I should not have harboured a criminal. That too, would have been my choice. I may be oversimplyfying the matter, its not always as simple as you're with them or against them.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »

Thats precisely why I do not involve myself in criminal activity or associate with known criminals. You see, Bakes, I have a choice.

Now I know you can't choose your family and you may be arrested by association. If I had the same situation here as I had in London with a step son involved in gangs, I guess I would be worried about my family being dragged down too. But if I complained about it not being fair, you and everyone else would say I should have informed on him, and I should not have harboured a criminal. That too, would have been my choice. I may be oversimplyfying the matter, its not always as simple as you're with them or against them.

Which is why I think it is extremely naive to make a statement such as you don't involve yourself in criminal activity or associate with criminals (therefore you're not at risk).  Count yourself lucky that you have never been wrongfully accused of a crime.  By the grace of God neither have I, but I know of  enough people who have to not champion the "ends justifies the means" argument that you're making.  The police hardly seem discriminating in their arrests or troubled by the need for reliable information before they round up some of these people.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:21:21 PM by Bakes »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 27, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »

Which is why I think it is extremely naive to make a statement such as you don't involve yourself in criminal activity or associate with criminals (therefore you're not at risk).  Count yourself lucky that you have never been wrongfully accused of a crime.  By the grace of God neither have I, but I know of  enough people who have to not champion the "ends justifies the means" argument that you're making.  The police hardly seem discriminating in their arrests or troubled by the need for reliable information before they round up some of these people.

Well, we can only go by what we're told and shown, but it appears that they are targeting specific people based on intelligence. One Mother said they have a photo of her son when they arrested him. It also seems they are acting with more restraint than usual. Under this scrutiny, I feel it unlikely (though not impossible) that they will just arrest anyone without reason. In fact, I suspect any officer doing that may be punished severely. However, I don't think its right that, say, a car thief is treated the same as a gunman. But I don't feel I'm being naive, I feel I'm taking a considered position, that hopefully, I will never have to test!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »

Well, we can only go by what we're told and shown, but it appears that they are targeting specific people based on intelligence. One Mother said they have a photo of her son when they arrested him. It also seems they are acting with more restraint than usual. Under this scrutiny, I feel it unlikely (though not impossible) that they will just arrest anyone without reason. In fact, I suspect any officer doing that may be punished severely. However, I don't think its right that, say, a car thief is treated the same as a gunman. But I don't feel I'm being naive, I feel I'm taking a considered position, that hopefully, I will never have to test!

I take back what I said.  It's not my place to call you naive... but you have a lot to learn about police in Trinidad.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:40:42 PM by Bakes »

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 27, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
Just got off the phone with my mom.  I was checking in to see if my brother (who has a past) was ok.  :)  Frankly, Trinidad has become a place where people feel like they are above the law, or more accurately put, respects no law or system of governance, regardless if it is societal or personal.  Is it surprising that for all our natural talent we underachieve at so many things?   Listen...  I could excuse people for not understanding government as an institution of society and mistake it for a babysitter or a rich uncle.  However, I cannot excuse you if you don't feel responsible for your own community and your household.  I cannot excuse a society that finds nothing wrong with a 15 year old girl coming ON CAMERA and cussing the PM.."HYMC this, HYMC that." 

The drugs and gun issue in T&T is in no way unique only to us.  Somehow we have forgotten the simplest of things.  Things like respect your elders..respect those in authority..say thank you and good night.  We might think these things petty but these are the things that drive healthy communities and homes.  The repetition of these things enforce the right fabric.  Instead, we purport that all the governments bad, all the police violent and corrupt, the public servants watless.  You know how abusive public service is in T&T?  When was the last time you thanked a bus driver or a police officer with a kind word?  Instead we have this HYMC anarchy type attitude.  Listen...If you want a better country be a better citizen.   But know this, the institution of government, when functioning appropriately will be a sword to those that deserve it and shield to those that deserve it.  Decide on want you planting Monday to Friday.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:54:28 PM by Preacher »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 28, 2011, 12:17:18 AM »
Preacher, I agree with a lot that you said. Since coming to Trinidad, I have been surprised at the lack of courtesy, even from so called "respectable" people. People look at you strangely if you hold a door open for them, and often won't even say thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I find Trinis more friendly than most other nationalities.

There seems no understanding of consideration. People late for meetings, and not apologising, people not even showing for meetings, but not calling to let you know. I find the worse examples on the road. God knows, UK has its share of asshole drivers, but generally they give way, join queues, indicate correctly and don't do things that may endanger themselves and you. But many Trini drivers (particularly licensed and unlicensed taxis and maxis) do not consider anyone. I get so vex when some idiot stops suddenly, or stops on a bend or a hill or opposite a parked car, just to get a fare, snarling up traffic in both directions. And the people waiting for a ride give no thought to the fact they're waiting in a spot that will cause havoc.

The thing is, none of this is deliberate. When I bawl and shout in my car, my passenger will usually not understand why I'm vexed, and utter the apparent fix all explanation.... this is Trinidad. Somehow, someway, core values have been forgotten and are not being taught to children. I'm sure many of the ex pats on here will feel the same when they return home. These core values, while not being the cause of crime, can help to change attitudes of people and go a small way towards building a better society.

I love living in Trinidad, but theres so much that could be better. And for all that I've just written, there are just as many problems in Britain.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 28, 2011, 02:56:53 AM »
attitude is a reflection of leadership

In the home
In the school/workplace
In the parliament
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 28, 2011, 06:09:12 AM »

Agree Greg

truetrini

« Reply #490 on: August 28, 2011, 06:39:20 AM »
To tell the truth, as much as I abhor this SoE, and the subsequent loss of civil liberties, I am glad tos ee dem bandits getting jailed

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 28, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
Shut in dong madam PM!  Ban FB and BBM too!

BTW, Preacher.. love the thoughts you shared.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 28, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
Just got off the phone with my mom.  I was checking in to see if my brother (who has a past) was ok.  :)  Frankly, Trinidad has become a place where people feel like they are above the law, or more accurately put, respects no law or system of governance, regardless if it is societal or personal.  Is it surprising that for all our natural talent we underachieve at so many things?   Listen...  I could excuse people for not understanding government as an institution of society and mistake it for a babysitter or a rich uncle.  However, I cannot excuse you if you don't feel responsible for your own community and your household.  I cannot excuse a society that finds nothing wrong with a 15 year old girl coming ON CAMERA and cussing the PM.."HYMC this, HYMC that." 

The drugs and gun issue in T&T is in no way unique only to us.  Somehow we have forgotten the simplest of things.  Things like respect your elders..respect those in authority..say thank you and good night.  We might think these things petty but these are the things that drive healthy communities and homes.  The repetition of these things enforce the right fabric.  Instead, we purport that all the governments bad, all the police violent and corrupt, the public servants watless.  You know how abusive public service is in T&T?  When was the last time you thanked a bus driver or a police officer with a kind word?  Instead we have this HYMC anarchy type attitude.  Listen...If you want a better country be a better citizen.   But know this, the institution of government, when functioning appropriately will be a sword to those that deserve it and shield to those that deserve it.  Decide on want you planting Monday to Friday.

Can't speak for others... but I do that all the time.  When I was in TnT 2 yrs ago I was even driving thru Valencia junction... my old area... and see this police man (with assault rifle slung over his shoulder) keeping traffic moving in the rain.  I say tuh him as I creeped past "yuh doing a great job officer"... no hint of sarcasm in mih voice.  De man watch mih like ah cuss he mother and otherwise ignore mih.  So it goes...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 28, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
Another thing that bother me was that today he said about 90% of people held were not charged under the emergency powers so do not have access to the tribunal. I not understanding where and how the distinction is made, and how that impacts on the rights of the people being held.

I keep hearing references being made to people being charged under the Anit-gang legislation that was passed earlier this year.  So did we need an SOE to arrest and charge these people??

Further, I was going to post since Friday a statement made by Fitzgerald Hinds on the topic of the Tribunal.  I95.5fm was discussing the topic and Mrs. Jennifer Baptiste-Primus (hear nah ah love dat woman bad, bad....but I digress  ;D) was reading out the stipulations or rules of the Tribunal.

Fortunately, Mr. Hinds called in and explained that you cyar just appeal to the Tribunal just so, just so.  If you were arrested during the SOE ON THE ORDERS OF THE MINISTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY then and ONLY THEN can you appeal to the Tribunal. 

So while I sit down here thinking that if I meet up some police who abuse me I could appeal to this Tribunal that is not the case.  Maybe, that is what is being alluded to in your post Dinho....I saw an article that quotes Hinds on the issue in yesterday's Express (the "offline" version). I didn't read it because I figure it would be more or less what I heard on the radio on Friday.  But I'll see if I can find it online and post the link here.

If is one thing, I'm learning real stuff about the constitution and related matters because of this SOE.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline gothic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 28, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »
AG going after Facebook posts

Published: Sun, 2011-08-28 20:24
Gail Alexander

A Facebook video involving death threats against Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has been sent to the Police Commissioner for action, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said yesterday. Speaking at yesterday’s daily media briefing by security chiefs at the National Security Ministry, Ramlogan said he had seen the video and it was a matter of grave concern. Ramlogan said the video was immediately turned over to  CoP Dwayne Gibbs. Ramlogan said he had noted a number of Facebook videos and postings which border on incitement, had obscene language and in some cases were abusive to security forces. Ramlogan noted one video with a female of about 14 or 15 years old, whom he said made profane comments. He said such types of videos would not be tolerated.

While freedom of expression was permitted in a state of emergency, Ramlogan said inciting and use of vulgar, abusive and obscene language was not permitted. Ramlogan said the Government had agencies examining the various social media sites to see if what is being put up was within the law. If it is not, it will be passed to the Police Commissioner for action, he added. National Security Minister John Sandy said if the law had been broken where the  Facebook video of the female was concerned, the Police Commissioner would  “take appropriate steps.” On the other side of the coin, the social media may be used to assist current security operations.

Admitting that a sore point in the security exercise was the gathering of community-based intelligence, Ramlogan said the Government was thinking of using Facebook to obtain information via virtual command centre. He warned that people submitting false information could be charged with wasting police time and false leads on such a forum could be traced via the IP address. National Security Minister John Sandy said  emergency vehicles like ambulances were available to  transport the ill to hospitals or nursing homes. If people were  going on their own to such places, he advised that the police station be notified.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/08/28/ag-going-after-facebook-posts

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 28, 2011, 09:54:51 AM »
Another thing that bother me was that today he said about 90% of people held were not charged under the emergency powers so do not have access to the tribunal. I not understanding where and how the distinction is made, and how that impacts on the rights of the people being held.

I keep hearing references being made to people being charged under the Anit-gang legislation that was passed earlier this year.  So did we need an SOE to arrest and charge these people??

Further, I was going to post since Friday a statement made by Fitzgerald Hinds on the topic of the Tribunal.  I95.5fm was discussing the topic and Mrs. Jennifer Baptiste-Primus (hear nah ah love dat woman bad, bad....but I digress  ;D) was reading out the stipulations or rules of the Tribunal.

Fortunately, Mr. Hinds called in and explained that you cyar just appeal to the Tribunal just so, just so.  If you were arrested during the SOE ON THE ORDERS OF THE MINISTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY then and ONLY THEN can you appeal to the Tribunal. 

So while I sit down here thinking that if I meet up some police who abuse me I could appeal to this Tribunal that is not the case.  Maybe, that is what is being alluded to in your post Dinho....I saw an article that quotes Hinds on the issue in yesterday's Express (the "offline" version). I didn't read it because I figure it would be more or less what I heard on the radio on Friday.  But I'll see if I can find it online and post the link here.

If is one thing, I'm learning real stuff about the constitution and related matters because of this SOE.....

This was my point Browns, the opposition vexed that the AGL is being used this way. The AGL had provisions to ensure personal rights were upheld. The SOE trumps the AGL card. So they use the SOE to arrest and search without warrents and then use the AGL to charge. All the safeguards of the SOE, such as right to tribunal are removed due to the AGL charges, yet the safeguards of the AGL such as requisite evedence to arrest are removed because of SOE. Very clever manoevering by govt. This will never happen again. After the SOE, laws will be changed, but at this time the govt have created a carte blanche where civil rights are concerned.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 28, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
AG going after Facebook posts

Published: Sun, 2011-08-28 20:24
Gail Alexander

A Facebook video involving death threats against Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has been sent to the Police Commissioner for action, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan said yesterday. Speaking at yesterday’s daily media briefing by security chiefs at the National Security Ministry, Ramlogan said he had seen the video and it was a matter of grave concern. Ramlogan said the video was immediately turned over to  CoP Dwayne Gibbs. Ramlogan said he had noted a number of Facebook videos and postings which border on incitement, had obscene language and in some cases were abusive to security forces. Ramlogan noted one video with a female of about 14 or 15 years old, whom he said made profane comments. He said such types of videos would not be tolerated.

While freedom of expression was permitted in a state of emergency, Ramlogan said inciting and use of vulgar, abusive and obscene language was not permitted. Ramlogan said the Government had agencies examining the various social media sites to see if what is being put up was within the law. If it is not, it will be passed to the Police Commissioner for action, he added. National Security Minister John Sandy said if the law had been broken where the  Facebook video of the female was concerned, the Police Commissioner would  “take appropriate steps.” On the other side of the coin, the social media may be used to assist current security operations.

Admitting that a sore point in the security exercise was the gathering of community-based intelligence, Ramlogan said the Government was thinking of using Facebook to obtain information via virtual command centre. He warned that people submitting false information could be charged with wasting police time and false leads on such a forum could be traced via the IP address. National Security Minister John Sandy said  emergency vehicles like ambulances were available to  transport the ill to hospitals or nursing homes. If people were  going on their own to such places, he advised that the police station be notified.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/08/28/ag-going-after-facebook-posts

I know people will shout that free speech is being attacked, but that girls video was being watched by young kids who are forming opinions based on her vile rantings. She should not be a voice of young people and although she shouldn't be charged, I think she deserves the shock of her life, and to be made an example of. By all means, criticise the govt, but stop with the vial language and death threats. Look at the effect its had on usually lawabiding people like Bakes lol

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 28, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
My bad, I read it in the Guardian....

Hinds: Review Tribunal a waste of $$
Published: Sat, 2011-08-27 20:11
Yvonne Baboolal

PNM Senator Fitzgerald Hinds is predicting that the Review Tribunal established to hear the cases of people detained under the Emergency Powers Regulations will be a waste of resources and money. Hinds, an attorney, is claiming that none of the arrests made so far, including those on Nelson Street, were made under the Emergency Powers Regulations but under different suspicions and laws by the police in their normal course of duty. He said according to the regulations the Minister of National Security had the power to order the detention of someone if he suspected the person was acting against the interest of public safety. He is not anticipating either that the police will find anyone to detain under the regulations.

“There is no emergency, no insurrection, no threat,” Hinds insisted. He recalled that during the 1970 Black Power Revolution and the 1990 uprising people were detained under the Emergency Powers Regulations. He said the only threat to the Government were street criminals who could be arrested outside the Emergency Powers Regulations. According to a release from the tribunal yesterday, any person lawfully detained during the state of emergency, under the Emergency Powers Regulations, 2011, has a right to have his/her case reviewed by the Review Tribunal.

Members of the tribunal appointed by Chief Justice Ivor Archie to review the case of anyone detained during the state of emergency released the statement yesterday outlining the procedure on how the tribunal may be accessed. The statement added that any detainee who wanted to have his case reviewed by the tribunal shall make a written request, signed by him or his representative, and lodge it at one of the following locations:

• Registry of the Supreme Court, Hall of Justice, Port-of-Spain;
• sub-registry of the Supreme Court, San Fernando;
• sub-registry of the Supreme Court, Tobago; or
• secretariat of the Review Tribunal, Hall of Justice, Knox Street, Port-of-Spain.

When the request is received, the statement said, the secretary of the tribunal shall promptly notify the Minister of National Security of the matter. It added: “The minister shall forthwith submit to the secretary the grounds upon which the person was detained. “The secretary shall then furnish to the detainee the grounds on which he was detained and notify him of the time and place at which the review will be held to enable him to present his case. “The detainee will be entitled to present his case to the Review Tribunal in person or through a legal representative.

“The tribunal will sit at the Hall of Justice, Knox Street, Port-of-Spain and the hearings shall be held in camera.” The Review Tribunal, provided for in section 11 (1) of the Constitution, was established by Archie recently. Members are Gilbert Peterson SC, chairman, Deborah Peake SC and  Rajmanlal Joseph. Secretary is Paul Issac. The office of the Review Tribunal is located at the Hall of Justice, Knox Street, Port-of-Spain.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/08/27/hinds-review-tribunal-waste
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 28, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
State of confusion
By Raffique Shah

"GUILTY as charged, sah!" I declare before the court of public opinion. I hasten to add, as most felons do, "But I need to explain, boss." Yes, I was foremost among persons who felt that serious crimes had long passed the point of tolerance, that law-abiding citizens were living in a state of siege, and if a state of emergency was required to restore some semblance of order in the society, then bring it on.

But in so doing, I all but mapped out a strategy for the imposition of draconian measures. I wrote from as far back as 2003 that law enforcement agencies first needed to have proper intelligence reports on the highest-level criminals who have reduced this country to the sorry state it had reached. Sure, they must necessarily target the young gunmen who, armed with what the police often describe as "high powered guns" (ordinary pistols, rifles and sub-machine guns), commit the most heinous robberies, murders and gangland executions.

These two-by-two louts, however, do not import such weapons. One does not take a pirogue to Colombia, seek out Pablo, thrust some "blue notes" into his hands, and say, "Chief, ah want two kilos of pure-white and ah dozen Glocks!" You'd be dead before you get close to Pablo, Juan or whoever runs a cartel in cocaine-country.

Given that an estimated 300 tonnes of cocaine is "traded" every year, any offer to buy less than, say, 100 kilos, would be deemed an insult. And the guns that invariably accompany cocaine trafficking come in large numbers; not a Glock or S&W here, an HK MP5 there. Bulk-buying is the name of that game. Only people who have millions of US dollars are capable of tapping into such sources.

So that while picking up Atibo and Carter from Nelson Street, and Khalid and Dominic from Bagatelle, might mean four cold-blooded killers off the streets, "Messrs Big" remain at large to find other jackasses to continue the lucrative trade in guns and drugs. From what I have seen thus far (I'm writing this on Friday morning), the prison-pirogue is filled with "fry-dries"; a handful of weapons has been seized (including a "pookney" whose owner must be ashamed to claim it!), and these are of little comfort to citizens who want law and order restored.

Most of all, there is a state of confusion that manifests itself daily during the State of Emergency. When the Prime Minister first alerted the nation to this drastic measure, she deemed it "limited". We have since clarified that: the Emergency is national in scope. The curfew is what is limited to certain districts.

I would have expected, when the PM addressed the nation, she might have said: "...As I speak to you, 46 gang leaders (she turns to Minister Sandy, whispers, then returns to the mike)...make that 55, have been picked up by the police and are currently detained in prison."

You do not say the Emergency would become effective in 12 or 24 hours! Keith Rowley had it right when he said Government had lost the element of surprise—surprisingly so, since she has so many military advisers around her.

The confusion had only begun. What prompted the timing of the declaration remains a mystery. AG Ramlogan and Minister John Sandy hinted that some kind of mayhem and mass murders were about to happen, hence the pre-emptive strike. The population does not need details. Surely, though, we expect to learn that the perpetrators of such intended action are under arrest and are charged with serious offences.

Then there was the saga of the missing Commissioner of Police, Dwayne Gibbs. Initially, nobody seemed to know where he was (one minister said Canada). The PSC threatened serious disciplinary action against him, and the AG said he would leave that issue for the PSC to deal with. Me? I thought if Gibbs left the country without informing the authorities, then he must be a mad man. He certainly does not look like a St Ann's outpatient.

Turned out that Cabinet, no less, had approved Gibbs' attendance at a conference in Brazil. Was that a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing? But worse was in the pipeline. AG Ramlogan comes across as someone who always wanted to act out his Western fantasies, John Wayne- style, riding a horse or whatever, and spouting "gun talk".

After the ministerial team announced postponement of the Independence fireworks, he chirped: "The only fireworks we want to see and hear must be between the army, the police and the bandits!"

With the State of Emergency in effect, Ramlogan is in his element. Every day he gets a chance to brandish his mouth, issuing a threat here, a warning there...until Dominic Kallipersad reduced him to television fodder.

If the AG is guilty of "playing himself" during the Emergency, what can I say about Minister Herbert Volney? Now, here's a real-life St Ann's in-patient who has escaped the walls of the mad house. "Anyone caught breaking the curfew will be shot on sight!" the madman bawled, as he "lahay" on a wall. People who did not know better started peeing their pants. Others laughed 'til they peed.

Seriously, I have no problem with the government's declaration of an emergency if, at the end of the week or month or even six months, so many real criminals are stashed away in prison, law-abiding citizens feel a sense of relief.

But with so much confusion surrounding its declaration and implementation, I have my doubts.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/State_of_confusion-128543308.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 28, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »
Get it right!
By Dana Seetahal

His Excellency the President issued his Proclamation on Sunday, August 21, declaring that "a state of public emergency exists in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago". The Proclamation was circulated to the media and others on the following Monday, yet right up to Wednesday, members of the press were referring to our current situation in this country as a "limited State of Emergency" (SOE)—blindly following the early words of the Prime Minister last Sunday.

I disagree emphatically with some persons, such as the Downtown Owners and Merchants Association president, who appear to suggest that one should not quibble about whether we term our current status a "limited" or full SOE; or where exactly the curfew applies.

How is a citizen to understand his rights and his responsibilities if it is not communicated to him clearly during this time whether and how his rights are impacted? Persons in Tobago, for instance, might have thought that since they have no curfew, Tobago was not under a SOE and so the police (and soldiers) could not arrest without warrant for certain breaches or search without a warrant. A SOE takes away important protections in the law and everyone needs to know how he or she is affected.

Nonetheless, by Thursday, it seemed that most people had finally grasped the fact that the entire country of Trinidad and Tobago was under a state of "public emergency". The same could not be said of an appreciation of the Curfew Order.

On the Sunday, the President also made Regulations (under Section 7 of the Constitution) which are called "The Emergency Powers Regulations 2011". Of course, in making the Proclamation and the Regulations, the President was acting in accordance with the advice of Cabinet, as he is required to do under Section 80 of the Constitution. In other words, and contrary to what some people seem to think, the President cannot act on his own initiative in this matter.

Regulation 4 states: "The Commissioner of Police is hereby authorised to exercise the following powers" and several powers are given which are to be exercised by Order made by the Commissioner. One of those powers is the power "to prohibit any person from being out of doors between such hours as may be specified..." In the exercise of this power, the acting Commissioner, on Monday, August 22, made what is called the Emergency Powers (Curfew) Order 2011.

The Order is headed "Made by the Commissioner of Police under Regulation 4 of the Emergency Powers Regulations" and provides, in part, that "no person shall be out of doors in the areas and at the times specified in the Schedules without a permit in writing of the Commissioner of Police". There are six Schedules and the first two read as follows:

First Schedule

Between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. in the City of Port of Spain, as demarcated in the First Schedule to the Municipal Corporations Act.

Second Schedule

Between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. in the City of San Fernando, as demarcated in the First Schedule to the Municipal Corporations Act."

The other Schedules refer to the Borough of Arima, the Borough of Chaguanas, the Region of Diego Martin and the Region of San Juan/Laventille, all as demarcated in the Municipal Corporations Act.

One would have thought that there should be no mistake by the authorities about the above, but this was not the case. I am not speaking here of the Commissioner's error because I accept that he could have made a slip of the tongue in saying that the curfew was in effect throughout the country, when he really meant the SOE.

What is not excusable is the following release, issued midday on Thursday, August 25, by the director—Public Affairs Unit of the Police Service to various news editors in the media. Under the heading Curfew Hours Under the Current State of Emergency, the release begins: "Statements attributed to the Commissioner of Police in the media have created some confusion regarding the state of emergency and the curfew hours now imposed. Kindly note that the Curfew Order 2011 proclaimed by the President for the imposition of the state of emergency states that the order is for Trinidad and Tobago, and not just Trinidad."

It is obvious that this person did not know what he was talking about. First of all, the Curfew Order was never proclaimed by the President; it was made by the acting Commissioner of Police. Secondly, the Order was not for the imposition of the SOE, as is clear from what I have quoted above. Thirdly, the Order does not relate to Tobago. If this release demonstrates the level of understanding of the Director of the Police Public Affairs Unit, is it any wonder that police PR is in such an abysmal state?

As if that were not all, a media release made the very same day by the very Ministry of National Security, under which the Police Service falls, is equally convoluted. The release, through the Ministry's Corporate Communications Unit, reiterated that the curfew was limited to "hot spots". It begins: "The current state of emergency applies to the national community. The 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew, however, is applied only to those areas identified as "hot spots" within the municipal corporation areas. ..." Not only is this misleading, but the misrepresentation is underlined in the release and then the author proceeds to list about 50 areas that are deemed "hot spots". This is in clear conflict with the Curfew Order and which is now law.

At this time when we would like to believe the authorities know what they are about the official organs of communication of the ministry which should be in control at this time, the ministry under which both the police and the Defence Force fall, appear to have no clue. Can they not read and understand a simple curfew order?

If the country is supposed to take direction from the Ministry of National Security at this time, heaven help us!

• Dana S Seetahal is a former
Independent Senator

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Get_it_right_-128516478.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 28, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
attitude is a reflection of leadership

In the home
In the school/workplace
In the parliament

G you are right but I would also add one to your list.

In one's own heart and conscience (inner feeling or voice acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one's behavior)

We shouldn't always be quick to blame everybody else.  Now don't get me wrong I agree with TC, Bakes, Brownie and everybody that rightfully state you didn't need a SEO to do what the Gov't is doing, at least not from the info we have been given.  But it is the role of Government to institute these measures when communities fail to govern itself on the side of the law.  It is a very sad thing because it implies that everyone is now guilty until proven innocent.  But it makes sense if the communities do not find themselves on the right side of the law.  So now, there is an opportunity for communities to redeem itself so to speak.  Now there is one law; stay inside after 9pm. and give up the crooks.  And don't be misled to think that these guys will be back on the street like normal. There will never be normal again when it comes to police and obeying laws in T&T, never.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:19:02 PM by Preacher »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 28, 2011, 02:14:38 PM »
should have been done long long time,as say so bout 4 years ago.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #502 on: August 28, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »
State of confusion
By Raffique Shah

If the AG is guilty of "playing himself" during the Emergency, what can I say about Minister Herbert Volney? Now, here's a real-life St Ann's in-patient who has escaped the walls of the mad house. "Anyone caught breaking the curfew will be shot on sight!" the madman bawled, as he "lahay" on a wall. People who did not know better started peeing their pants. Others laughed 'til they peed.
my word, when did he say that ?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 28, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
Just driven home from PoS. Operations underway in Beetham. When I reached the EMR turn off for St Joseph, real army and police everywhere. Looks like they were stopping people going in and out of St Joseph, maybe even Curepe. Not sure if they were shaking down Bangladesh again. Must say, this is the first time I've driven through a road block and its real intimidating. Made sure I kept eye contact with the armed soldier in the road. (Didn't want to mistake a stop for a go!) Some of the people stopped were in their late 30's & 40's in nice pick ups and SUV's.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 28, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
State of confusion
By Raffique Shah

About Tuesday....I caught it on the news....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 28, 2011, 06:32:17 PM »
Forumites, I see plenty weird things in my times eh, but i feel this one take the cake...

This afternoon around 5pm I driving into Diego Martin, turn off the highway and heading up to the roundabout/triangle kinda ting on the intersection of Diego Martin Main Road. Now anyone who familiar with this intersection will know that obliquely opposite the roundabout there are some buildings, in between which there is a paved hill going up to some houses in the back.

So here i am pulling up to the intersection and someone in my car is to say, "what is that woman doing??"

When i look straight ahead, there is a rasta man standing up about halfway up the hill and a woman stooping and giving de ras a blow job, normal and formal.. To make it worse, another woman is standing just a lil lower down the hill playing lookout, I don't know for what because these people were in clear view of the intersection.. I sure every car that come up to turn after i pass there would have seen them. I still aint want to believe is that i just see take place in the 5 o'clock hot sun..

The moral of the story is.... people was asking how shift and night time workers making out.. Well it look like the SoE and this curfew have them hos advancing their trade to daylight hours to meet their sales targets. Because that could be the only explanation for that piece ah madness..

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #506 on: August 28, 2011, 07:25:36 PM »
State of confusion
By Raffique Shah

About Tuesday....I caught it on the news....

He's a character long time.This is reminiscent of the comment about public hangings.

truetrini

Thi is what a Mister Big looks like!
« Reply #507 on: August 28, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,126163.html

DRUG DEN FOR RICH
By NALINEE SEELAL and ALEXANDER BRUZUAL Saturday, August 21 2010

click on pic to zoom in

« prev photo next photo »
A day after they made one of the biggest weapons seizures, police described the Valsayn mansion of late millionaire contractor Hafeez Karamath as a drug den for the rich; a factory for the manufacture of exotic high-end hallucinogens.

Investigators estimate the mansion, located on a one acre property in the upscale neighbourhood of Palm Road, Valsayn, is worth more than $12 million.

They reported that “preferred clients” visited the mansion day and night. A ten-foot wall, which has a row of lights all around it, surrounds the compound which had a fleet of heavily tinted Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs).

Residents believe the compound housed a casino which operated daily, and included armed security and a limousine chauffeur service to take clients home after heavy gambling.

It was purely by accident that the police stumbled upon a cache of arms, ammunition and drugs during a search carried out on Thursday at Karamath’s residence as part of the ongoing probe into alleged corrupt activities at the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (Udecott).

Officers of the Anti-Corruption Investigations Bureau (ACIB), led by Senior Superintendent Solomon Koon Koon, said yesterday they went to the mansion with a search warrant for documents and material to assist them in the Udecott matter.

Karamath’s construction company had received contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars, the most high profile of which was to build the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba.

However, during the search the ACIB officers found more than documents and suspect contracts.

They found in a bedroom in the western side of the mansion, boxes containing 18 high-powered guns and ammunition, which have since been traced to the Far East.

The weapons were 12 semi-automatic handguns, two high-powered rifles, two AK-47s and two submachine pistols. Forty-five 9 mm rounds, 12- gauge shotgun shells, .22 ammunition, .302 ammunition and 7.6 rounds were also found.

Apart from the cache of arms and ammunition, officers found equipment used in the processing of high-end exotic hallucinogens.

They discovered labelled bottles and packages containing drugs such as green cockroach, buba kush, sweet kush, Hawaiian kush, lemon skunk, lavender, LA Confidential, salmon, exodus cheese, hash, marijuana seedlings and an assortment of dried mushrooms. Four bongs and a hookah — devices used for smoking—as well as gas masks and other apparatus were also found.

This prompted the ACIB officers to call in officers of the Organised Crime, Narcotics and Firearms Unit who seized the guns, ammunition and drugs. Sources, who were present at the mansion, said six relatives of the late millionaire, including two women, a man, and three young persons between the ages 15 to 29 were detained.

None of the occupants had a firearm users licence.

“We have no information as to the real use of the firearms found in the house, we are exploring the possibility that it may have been used for rental or protection, but once charges are laid against individuals, the weapons will be sent to Forensic (Science Centre) for analysis to determine if they have ever been used,” a senior ACIB officer said yesterday.

He said Karamath had a firearm user’s licence and owned a security firm.

The six suspects were taken to the Port-of-Spain CID late Thursday night.

The two women were transferred yesterday to the Woodbrook Police Station, while the four men were taken to the Central Police Station.

Their attorneys met with them and the police yesterday.

They told Newsday the police said charges were expected to be laid against their clients by today.At about 2 pm yesterday, the six were taken to the office of the ACIB at Independence Square, Port-of-Spain, where they were interviewed for several hours.

Newsday understands that because of the circumstances in which the drugs, arms and ammunition were found, the ACIB had to discuss with Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard the charges to be laid against the six.

Officers also plan to return to the Valsayn mansion today. A report on the raid has been sent to Acting Commissioner of Police James Philbert and National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy.

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, who has jurisdiction for the ACIB, praised the officers for their work and said he has been advised that apart from the seized illicit items, officers also took possession of a quantity of documents and other materials related to the Udecott investigation.

The ACIB officers also raided Hafeez Karamath Construction Ltd (HKL) in San Juan on Thursday and seized a quantity of documents, including contracts and computers.

Karamath’s brother Ellis Karamath, the new owner HKL, did not answer calls to his cell phone for comment yesterday.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thi is what a Mister Big looks like!
« Reply #508 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,126163.html

DRUG DEN FOR RICH
By NALINEE SEELAL and ALEXANDER BRUZUAL Saturday, August 21 2010

click on pic to zoom in

« prev photo next photo »
A day after they made one of the biggest weapons seizures, police described the Valsayn mansion of late millionaire contractor Hafeez Karamath as a drug den for the rich; a factory for the manufacture of exotic high-end hallucinogens.

Investigators estimate the mansion, located on a one acre property in the upscale neighbourhood of Palm Road, Valsayn, is worth more than $12 million.

They reported that “preferred clients” visited the mansion day and night. A ten-foot wall, which has a row of lights all around it, surrounds the compound which had a fleet of heavily tinted Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs).

Residents believe the compound housed a casino which operated daily, and included armed security and a limousine chauffeur service to take clients home after heavy gambling.

It was purely by accident that the police stumbled upon a cache of arms, ammunition and drugs during a search carried out on Thursday at Karamath’s residence as part of the ongoing probe into alleged corrupt activities at the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (Udecott).

Officers of the Anti-Corruption Investigations Bureau (ACIB), led by Senior Superintendent Solomon Koon Koon, said yesterday they went to the mansion with a search warrant for documents and material to assist them in the Udecott matter.

Karamath’s construction company had received contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars, the most high profile of which was to build the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba.

However, during the search the ACIB officers found more than documents and suspect contracts.

They found in a bedroom in the western side of the mansion, boxes containing 18 high-powered guns and ammunition, which have since been traced to the Far East.

The weapons were 12 semi-automatic handguns, two high-powered rifles, two AK-47s and two submachine pistols. Forty-five 9 mm rounds, 12- gauge shotgun shells, .22 ammunition, .302 ammunition and 7.6 rounds were also found.

Apart from the cache of arms and ammunition, officers found equipment used in the processing of high-end exotic hallucinogens.

They discovered labelled bottles and packages containing drugs such as green cockroach, buba kush, sweet kush, Hawaiian kush, lemon skunk, lavender, LA Confidential, salmon, exodus cheese, hash, marijuana seedlings and an assortment of dried mushrooms. Four bongs and a hookah — devices used for smoking—as well as gas masks and other apparatus were also found.

This prompted the ACIB officers to call in officers of the Organised Crime, Narcotics and Firearms Unit who seized the guns, ammunition and drugs. Sources, who were present at the mansion, said six relatives of the late millionaire, including two women, a man, and three young persons between the ages 15 to 29 were detained.

None of the occupants had a firearm users licence.

“We have no information as to the real use of the firearms found in the house, we are exploring the possibility that it may have been used for rental or protection, but once charges are laid against individuals, the weapons will be sent to Forensic (Science Centre) for analysis to determine if they have ever been used,” a senior ACIB officer said yesterday.

He said Karamath had a firearm user’s licence and owned a security firm.

The six suspects were taken to the Port-of-Spain CID late Thursday night.

The two women were transferred yesterday to the Woodbrook Police Station, while the four men were taken to the Central Police Station.

Their attorneys met with them and the police yesterday.

They told Newsday the police said charges were expected to be laid against their clients by today.At about 2 pm yesterday, the six were taken to the office of the ACIB at Independence Square, Port-of-Spain, where they were interviewed for several hours.

Newsday understands that because of the circumstances in which the drugs, arms and ammunition were found, the ACIB had to discuss with Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard the charges to be laid against the six.

Officers also plan to return to the Valsayn mansion today. A report on the raid has been sent to Acting Commissioner of Police James Philbert and National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy.

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, who has jurisdiction for the ACIB, praised the officers for their work and said he has been advised that apart from the seized illicit items, officers also took possession of a quantity of documents and other materials related to the Udecott investigation.

The ACIB officers also raided Hafeez Karamath Construction Ltd (HKL) in San Juan on Thursday and seized a quantity of documents, including contracts and computers.

Karamath’s brother Ellis Karamath, the new owner HKL, did not answer calls to his cell phone for comment yesterday.

TC Yu liking this eh.. well I loving it.. Lock up all a dem Muddac**t .. Dem fackers ruin my country of birth.. I wid di police dem... I want to c police beating facking man on the streetpon cnn.. dem wah play bad man and terrorize innocent citizens.. well  police in dem kakahole now... fire wrk mi wah see ....

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 28, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
I pass that said mansion on my way to work every morning. Dem stink motherfackers. but i will only rejoice until  i see dem get lock up. history has shown, the law dont apply to these kinda  ppl
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

1]; } ?>