April 17, 2024, 10:47:09 PM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 161371 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #510 on: August 28, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »
One raid in Valsayn netted 18 guns and in 1 week of a state of emergency how many guns were recovered ?

truetrini

« Reply #511 on: August 28, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
One raid in Valsayn netted 18 guns and in 1 week of a state of emergency how many guns were recovered ?

My point that went straight over war head.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 29, 2011, 08:03:02 AM »
Been scratching my head...

all this protesting, cussing and getting in the way when the joined forces conducting exercises... are people just brave, have no respect for law or juss want ah gun butt in dey head? From the video clips I've been seeing, I must say that the law men/women real showing restraint.

with this sort of confrontational attitude people have adopted it's as if they could care less if this crime situation ever gets resolved.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #513 on: August 29, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
The AG just said that Jamaica's state of emergency reduced violent crime by 40 % and only one gang leader was captured. He said that Dudus wasn't perceived to be a 'big fish' either.

The AG is deliberately misrepresenting facts to fool the ignorant masses. He neglected to point out that the whole point of the Limited State of Emergency in Jamaica was to capture Dudus because he had an extradition order for narcotics crimes.He was a very big fish.   

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 29, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »
So apaprently T&TEC on strike so nobody have current. WASA goan strike next.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 29, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »

Serious  ???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 29, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »
Just been called by a colleague who said a radio announcement has confirmed the curfew will be extended to 7th November. Awaiting confirmation of this.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 29, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »

Serious  ???

Have electricity in Curepe & St Joseph!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 29, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
lightening hit a couple of sub stations and knocked them out.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »
The AG just said that Jamaica's state of emergency reduced violent crime by 40 % and only one gang leader was captured. He said that Dudus wasn't perceived to be a 'big fish' either.

The AG is deliberately misrepresenting facts to fool the ignorant masses. He neglected to point out that the whole point of the Limited State of Emergency in Jamaica was to capture Dudus because he had an extradition order for narcotics crimes.He was a very big fish.   

How could Dudus have NOT been seen as a big fish when there was an extradition order on his head from the US, and as you point out... the entire purpose of the exercise was to capture him?   Look, I think I done commenting on this fella yes, but it real shocking to see the level of hypocrisy and deceit in such a high-ranking public official.

At any rate I reading on Facebook that the State of Emergency has been extended until November 7th... anybody have confirmation?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 29, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »

How could Dudus have NOT been seen as a big fish when there was an extradition order on his head from the US, and as you point out... the entire purpose of the exercise was to capture him?   Look, I think I done commenting on this fella yes, but it real shocking to see the level of hypocrisy and deceit in such a high-ranking public official.

At any rate I reading on Facebook that the State of Emergency has been extended until November 7th... anybody have confirmation?

Apparently it was announced on the radio. But I thought they had to wait for the debate on Friday, although, as they only need a simple majority to extend, it would have been a shoe-in. If its true, I expect to see an outcry by small businesses and unions.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #521 on: August 29, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »

How could Dudus have NOT been seen as a big fish when there was an extradition order on his head from the US, and as you point out... the entire purpose of the exercise was to capture him?   Look, I think I done commenting on this fella yes, but it real shocking to see the level of hypocrisy and deceit in such a high-ranking public official.

They need to go to Parliament but they only need a simple majority. Yes, that is the intention.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #522 on: August 29, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
STATE OF EMERGENCY: DAY EIGHT
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/STATE-OF-EMERGENCY-DAY-EIGHT-128600503.html

August 29, 2011
Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs has said 31 arrests were made between the hours of 8 a.m. yesterday and 8 a.m. today in exercises conducted by police and military forces.

He was speaking at today’s news briefing at the Ministry of National Security, Port of Spain, to provide updates on the state of emergency and curfew.

Of the 31 people arrested, five were gang related, six for drug related offences, 16 for other serious offences, one for breach of curfew, and two on outstanding warrants.

Gibbs said a total of 820 arrests have been made since the state of emergency was imposed, with 298 of them being gang related.

In his update on the operations of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force, Chief of Defence Staff Kenrick Maharaj said a number of mobile and foot patrols and stop and search exercises were conducted across Trinidad and Tobago.

Joint army/police operations were carried out in Buccoo, Glencoe, and Point Fortin. Those operations resulted in 36 vehicular searches being conducted which yielded nine arrests and the seizure of a quantity of marijuana, as well as the seizure of four cutlasses and batons.

Maharaj said three arrests for the possession of marijuana were also made in the Toco/Sangre Grande area.

Day Eight

31 arrests: 5 gang related, 6 drug related, 16 other serious offences, 1 for breach of curfew, and 2 on outstanding warrants.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #523 on: August 29, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
What is considered a serious offence ?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 29, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
And why would they need just a simple majority to extend a state of emergency? Rights are at stake..shouldnt this have some special majority?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 29, 2011, 03:11:33 PM »

Hosting a facebook page

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 29, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
So with all the 'arrests' they trumpeting... only 37% has been for gang-related activity?  Interesting.... I was under the impression that they were the majority.  Let's see how many of that 37% is actually convicted... or more worryingly, how long it takes to even bring them to trial.  For those who are ready to say "who cares as long as they take gang members off the streets"... let me remind you of how ridiculously low the threshold has been set for one to be charged under the anti-gang law... and how much lower the SoE has made the standard for arrest for any crime, let alone gang-affiliation.

Suffice to say I have very little confidence in the quality of policing currently taking place.  The numbers might be impressive at first glance, but it remains to be seen what fruit they will yield, and more importantly, at what cost.

Had the same question.

And why would they need just a simple majority to extend a state of emergency? Rights are at stake..shouldnt this have some special majority?

Had the same concern.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 29, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »

I imagine, the logic would be that the government has the mandate of the people to govern. Therefore, providing the controlling party is united, their will can be followed.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
So with all the 'arrests' they trumpeting... only 37% has been for gang-related activity?  Interesting.... I was under the impression that they were the majority.  Let's see how many of that 37% is actually convicted... or more worryingly, how long it takes to even bring them to trial.  For those who are ready to say "who cares as long as they take gang members off the streets"... let me remind you of how ridiculously low the threshold has been set for one to be charged under the anti-gang law... and how much lower the SoE has made the standard for arrest for any crime, let alone gang-affiliation.

Suffice to say I have very little confidence in the quality of policing currently taking place.  The numbers might be impressive at first glance, but it remains to be seen what fruit they will yield, and more importantly, at what cost.

Had the same question.

Had the same concern.
Subhas Panday was apologising on the radio this morning. He said that the law (anti-gang) was never intended to be used in a state of emergency situation. He was saying they hadn't considered the possibility. He seemed genuinely concerned. I guess the Government isn't totally united in this decision.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 29, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »
Cufew in allyuh tail till 7th November.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 29, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »

Serious  ???

Have electricity in Curepe & St Joseph!

Residences or busineses with generators?
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 29, 2011, 04:22:55 PM »
Subhas Panday was apologising on the radio this morning. He said that the law (anti-gang) was never intended to be used in a state of emergency situation. He was saying they hadn't considered the possibility. He seemed genuinely concerned. I guess the Government isn't totally united in this decision.

In all fairness, I can appreciate that the concerns are legitimate... it is very difficult to project and account for every contingency or repercussion arising out of every action, and I would like to believe that no one foresaw the implementation of a SoE or how it would affect implementation of the law.

That said, this is why I have been cautioning all along against knee-jerk reaction to crime.  My biggest concern with the anti-gang law were the loose and in some cases, overbroad definitions of what constitutes a crime under the law.  This is in addition to the limitations placed on bail.  It's not that I'm disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing... but police are generally not concerned with civil rights, just law enforcement.  In many instances that desire to enforce the law is driven by quotas, promotions, personal glory and any number of factors unrelated to the genuine suppression of crime.  Factor in a police force that treats many of a certain demographic with inherent suspicion and you have a remedy for illegal arrests.

Where there are improper/illegal arrests, the only way to remedy or mitigate the situation is to have a speedy review of the arrest.  The only objective way to review the propriety of the arrest is via the judicial process.  I say "objective" because typically the state, in the form of a supervising officer or the DPP would review whether charges should follow the arrest.  The court then is supposed to offer a chance for the defendant to have a say and for an objective decision as to the merits of the charges to take place.

By extending the length of time a person can be incarcerated before bringing them before a magistrate we are delaying justice to not only that individual but for every other person charged with a crime because we are artificially overburdening and already overburdened court docket... we are making the system more inefficient.  Same applies to denying them bail... jails should be for those who legitimately pose a threat to society, pre or post-conviction.  Even if we make allowances for incarceration as punishment for those convicted of crimes which don't pose a threat to society, the point is that "lock them all up" is not a viable solution, not for fighting crime, not for the smooth functioning of the judicial system. 

The anti-gang law and SoE are doing nothing to alleviate any of these concerns... and in fact only serves to exacerbate them.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #532 on: August 29, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »

Where there are improper/illegal arrests, the only way to remedy or mitigate the situation is to have a speedy review of the arrest.  The only objective way to review the propriety of the arrest is via the judicial process.  I say "objective" because typically the state, in the form of a supervising officer or the DPP would review whether charges should follow the arrest.  The court then is supposed to offer a chance for the defendant to have a say and for an objective decision as to the merits of the charges to take place.

That is exactly what Subhas Panday said as well.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 29, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=161824547231827

stteeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuupppppppppppssssssssssssss

ah cah take an extension!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 29, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »

I was just discussing this with my neighbour.  I found it strange that such an important matter would only need a simple majority.

But then I thought that maybe, just maybe, when the framer(s) of the constitution was putting it together, they envisioned that imposing a state of emergency would only be used like say in war time or like the coup or something THAT drastic.  And therefore in the event that Parliament couldn't convene with most members then a simple majority would do.....I eh know I just speculating off the top ah mih head.

As for the extension, well on TV6's poll 87% of the people are in agreement with it.  For once I am glad to be counted among the minority......Kamla, the AG and de rest ah she crew could rock so with this state of emergency....

Local based all yuh hear the ads dey running??  Imagine in the space of a week, dem get Ross to pull some sound bites from Kamla and Cowboy X and running dem as ads as if elections right around de corner.....these people for frigging real??!!

Steups!! 

On a related note, I never knew Army have so many different vehicles.  Ah seeing from Prado, to the big truck, to the medium jeeps, to basic Sedans....ah eh so many Army vehicles since....uuummm the Coup...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 29, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
wat is d status wit d FIU in dis thing. reason being the bank keep sending my brother (aint even hit 30 yet) letters (wit d FIU act stapled on) to provide proof of income and even after he supplies them with the documents somehow they go missing soon after...now i is ah man suspect motive wit dis govahment eh so ah watchin dem closely an mih brodda close tuh losin he patience..

truetrini

« Reply #536 on: August 29, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
So now radio shows being shelved? Marcia Henville stated that she is off the air till next week....

"Marcia Henville
Hey people n loyal listeners of the BB/PD on Power 102FM...we're off air till, I believe, next week (ask no question, tell no lie). Till we next "meet", stand firm, courageous and honest.."

from her facebook page.

truetrini

« Reply #537 on: August 29, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QpqjBshdc-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QpqjBshdc-k</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 29, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
So now radio shows being shelved? Marcia Henville stated that she is off the air till next week....

"Marcia Henville
Hey people n loyal listeners of the BB/PD on Power 102FM...we're off air till, I believe, next week (ask no question, tell no lie). Till we next "meet", stand firm, courageous and honest.."

from her facebook page.

Don't know this show. Is it controversial, anti government, what? Or is it just that staff can't get to station because of curfew?

truetrini

« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »

"Marcia Henville

from her facebook page.

Don't know this show. Is it controversial, anti government, what? Or is it just that staff can't get to station because of curfew?

It have a PNM and a PP supporter,,Marcia has been mashing up de government over de SOE last week...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:28:45 PM by Tallman »

1]; } ?>