March 28, 2024, 10:18:02 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 160258 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #540 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:43 PM »
So now radio shows being shelved? Marcia Henville stated that she is off the air till next week....

"Marcia Henville
Hey people n loyal listeners of the BB/PD on Power 102FM...we're off air till, I believe, next week (ask no question, tell no lie). Till we next "meet", stand firm, courageous and honest.."

from her facebook page.

Don't know this show. Is it controversial, anti government, what? Or is it just that staff can't get to station because of curfew?

It have a PNM and a PP supporter,,Marcia has been mashing up de government over de SOE last week...

Thats sounding like State controlling free speech. That can't be right. This ain't a dictatorship.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #542 on: August 29, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »
Martial law is next on the agenda watch out T&T
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 30, 2011, 01:48:09 AM »
So now radio shows being shelved? Marcia Henville stated that she is off the air till next week....

"Marcia Henville
Hey people n loyal listeners of the BB/PD on Power 102FM...we're off air till, I believe, next week (ask no question, tell no lie). Till we next "meet", stand firm, courageous and honest.."

from her facebook page.

Don't know this show. Is it controversial, anti government, what? Or is it just that staff can't get to station because of curfew?

It have a PNM and a PP supporter,,Marcia has been mashing up de government over de SOE last week...

Thats sounding like State controlling free speech. That can't be right. This ain't a dictatorship.

If she could be perceived as inciting anti government activities then I think they could take action although I feel is the station owners get a message and take in front, like WIN tV and Crime watch
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:44 AM »
Ok...got it cleared up.

They require a 3/5 majority to extend which is what they have. So its not just a simple majority.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 30, 2011, 04:45:26 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/a_PNJESNpwY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/a_PNJESNpwY</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 30, 2011, 06:15:57 AM »
Ah like this interview with Dr. Amery Browne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L0uQPbaCchA
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 06:22:04 AM by Montjoy »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 30, 2011, 06:42:44 AM »
Ok...got it cleared up.

They require a 3/5 majority to extend which is what they have. So its not just a simple majority.

No man.....to extend the SOE for a period past the initial 15 days they need to go to Parliament but a simple majority is needed (which they definitely have).  They can then extend for 30 days minimum - 3 months max.  After that they can go another 3 months (6 months in total) with a simple majority....

After the 6 month period THEN they will need the opposition's help to continue.....at least dais how I understand it.....if we could get the actual clause in the constitution that would be good.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 30, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »
Interesting discussion on I95.5 fm right now.  Wayne Chance (former inmate and now head of Vision on a Mission), is revealing that word from inside the prisons is that dem fellas waiting to retaliate against the government when they get out....unfortunately that means is we, the man on de street dey goh be gunning for.....

They coming back to talk more just now....commercials on right now....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 30, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »
Interesting discussion on I95.5 fm right now.  Wayne Chance (former inmate and now head of Vision on a Mission), is revealing that word from inside the prisons is that dem fellas waiting to retaliate against the government when they get out....unfortunately that means is we, the man on de street dey goh be gunning for.....

Heard this yesterday in the government press conference. They say they prepared for them  :-[
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 30, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »
894 now arrested, significant weapons haul by soldiers

The Commissioner of Police, Mr Dwayne Gibbs, has confirmed 74 more arrests in the latest 24 hour operation which began at 8am on Monday and ended at 8am on Tuesday.

This brings the total number of persons arrested during the State of Emergency to 894. Commissioner Gibbs said of this total, 335 are being detained on gang related charges.

On the latest arrests, the Commissioner confirmed, "37 of them are gang-related, 2 in relation to homicide charges, 15 individuals arrested in regard to drug offences, 1 firearm related offence, 6 serious offences, and 13 outstanding warrants. We had 93 traffic occurrences. We seized 6 firearms and upwards of 600 rounds of assorted ammunition. This brings our total number of arrested individuals to 894, 335 are gang-related."

Also speaking at Tuesday's National Security Briefing, the Chief of Defence Staff, Brigadier Kenrick Maharaj, confirmed a significant weapons haul was made in Central Trinidad in the latest 24-hour operation.

"It was based on a tip to one of our serving members and a section of military personnel was deployed to that location rapidly and were able to unearth, literally: one pump action shotgun, one .22 rifle, five 7mm magazines, one 9mm magazine, telescope, 5 pistol holsters and a range of different types of ammunition amounting to 381 rounds. So it was in our supportive effort, a major success. I will assure the public it is a sign of things to come."

Brigadier Maharaj said that the scrap iron operations are continuing and soldiers recently seized 32,280 kilogrammes of scrap iron. The material was later searched by the Special Anti Crime Unit of Trinidad and Tobago.

http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=31104&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #551 on: August 30, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »

Arresting and charging criminals are absolutely necessary and I support the police fully where that is concerned. The issue is under the circumstances these guys were charged and the actual charges they received aren't we going to run into the same problem when it comes to convicting them.

If it is true that these goons planning retribution then we better get it right and put them away or prepare for the impended threat.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 30, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »
Arresting and charging criminals are absolutely necessary and I support the police fully where that is concerned. The issue is under the circumstances these guys were charged and the actual charges they received aren't we going to run into the same problem when it comes to convicting them.

If it is true that these goons planning retribution then we better get it right and put them away or prepare for the impended threat.

I don't know if you heard the discussion but Wayne was recounting a story he got from some one in either the Beetham or Laventille area.  He said there was a guy on his way to the shop to get something and go home and police just came up and tried to put him the back of a van.   A woman police officer who knew the man well enough to vouch for him, told the officers that this particular guy eh in nutten and that he is a good fella so he was released.

Now let's say the woman police officer was not there at the time??  This guy would have just been picked up and thrown in with the rest for who knows how long....according to the story eh....

Then there is another story of police coming into the area meeting a fella and started to ask him for a reputed gang leader (name called).  The guy said he didn't know who the person was but they kept insisting that he knew the person and after some back and forth, arrested him and took him where ever....

But say what.   These people are pests any way and deserve what dey getting.    We will all be safer in 15 days or 3 months or 6 months and that's all that matters.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #553 on: August 30, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »
Yeah , that hard to deal with.

truetrini

« Reply #554 on: August 30, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »
Mothers plead sons’ innocence before court
Published: Wed, 2011-08-31 00:19
Derek Achong

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/08/31/mothers-plead-sons-innocence-court

Screams, tears and accusations of racial persecution were heard yesterday in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court as 33 men appeared in court accused of being gang members. Attorney Cecil Pope, representing two of the accused, told the court that it was only because of the colour of his clients’ skin that they were charged under the recently passed Anti-Gang Act. Pope said: “Persons are being arrested and charged at the whim and fancy of the police. If I was with my clients at the time, I would have been charged with being a gang member also.” Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar, presiding in the Eighth Magistrate’s Court, dismissed Pope’s claims saying the judicial system was not racist. Ayers-Caesar told Pope, a former magistrate, the court was the wrong forum for voicing such opinions. Of the 33 men all charged with being gang members under section 5 of the Act, 18 were accused of being members of the “Picton Road Gang”, while the others were accused of being members of the “Gonzales Gang” and “John Street Gang”, of Cocorite.

After the charges were read, one mother who was brought to tears, pleaded her son’s innocence. She said: “My son is no gangster. He works as a security guard. If he was involved in a gang I would have abandoned him and supported the officers who arrested him.” The men accused of being members of the Picton Road Gang included Kenneth James, Learie James, Olafeli Nurse, Andrin Maraj, Andrew William, Darrel James, Keston Thomas, Jesten Superville, Kern Charles, Francis Harford, Randy Joseph, Kendall Hayes, Mark Mohammed, Michael Hayley, Akeed Worrell, Lemel Guy, David Mitchell and Dave Mitchell. Another group of men arrested by Belmont police last Thursday also burst out into tears after the charge of being members of the “Gonzales Gang” was read to them. One of the men, Quincy Porter, claimed that he was on his way home from work at the Queen’s Park Savannah in preparation for today’s Independence Day celebrations when he was arrested.

Porter said: “I am from Laventille. How can I be a member of a gang in Gonzales when I don’t even live in that area.” The men were all remanded into custody and their matters were adjourned to dates in mid-September, much to the dismay of their attorneys who all pleaded for their clients’ matters to be expedited. Under the Anti-Gang Act, passed in Parliament on May 3, this year, persons charged with being members of gangs are to be remanded in custody for 120 days, after which they may apply to a judge in chambers for bail. Since the announcement of the state of emergency by Prime  Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on August 21, more than 150 people have appeared in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court on gang related charges. Three men from Cocorite, Sea Lots and El Socorro have since appeared charged with being gang leaders. Cedric Burke, 36, of Sea Lots was accused of being the leader of a gang from Production Avenue, Sea Lots, while Devanand Singh, 42, of El Socorro was charged with being the leader of the “Devanand Gang”. Both men appeared before Ayers-Caesar on Monday. Last week Cocorite resident Jason Lewis was charged with being the leader of the “Water Hole Gang”. Burke, Singh and Lewis all face up to 25 years in prison if convicted, while gang members face a maximum sentence of ten years’ imprisonment.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 30, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
Of course, this may just be a coincidence... 

Devanand Singh, 42, of El Socorro was charged with being the leader of the “Devanand Gang”.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 31, 2011, 07:10:07 AM »
Mothers plead sons’ innocence before court
Published: Wed, 2011-08-31 00:19
Derek Achong

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/08/31/mothers-plead-sons-innocence-court

Screams, tears and accusations of racial persecution were heard yesterday in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court as 33 men appeared in court accused of being gang members. Attorney Cecil Pope, representing two of the accused, told the court that it was only because of the colour of his clients’ skin that they were charged under the recently passed Anti-Gang Act. Pope said: “Persons are being arrested and charged at the whim and fancy of the police. If I was with my clients at the time, I would have been charged with being a gang member also.” Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar, presiding in the Eighth Magistrate’s Court, dismissed Pope’s claims saying the judicial system was not racist. Ayers-Caesar told Pope, a former magistrate, the court was the wrong forum for voicing such opinions. Of the 33 men all charged with being gang members under section 5 of the Act, 18 were accused of being members of the “Picton Road Gang”, while the others were accused of being members of the “Gonzales Gang” and “John Street Gang”, of Cocorite.

After the charges were read, one mother who was brought to tears, pleaded her son’s innocence. She said: “My son is no gangster. He works as a security guard. If he was involved in a gang I would have abandoned him and supported the officers who arrested him.” The men accused of being members of the Picton Road Gang included Kenneth James, Learie James, Olafeli Nurse, Andrin Maraj, Andrew William, Darrel James, Keston Thomas, Jesten Superville, Kern Charles, Francis Harford, Randy Joseph, Kendall Hayes, Mark Mohammed, Michael Hayley, Akeed Worrell, Lemel Guy, David Mitchell and Dave Mitchell. Another group of men arrested by Belmont police last Thursday also burst out into tears after the charge of being members of the “Gonzales Gang” was read to them. One of the men, Quincy Porter, claimed that he was on his way home from work at the Queen’s Park Savannah in preparation for today’s Independence Day celebrations when he was arrested.

Porter said: “I am from Laventille. How can I be a member of a gang in Gonzales when I don’t even live in that area.” The men were all remanded into custody and their matters were adjourned to dates in mid-September, much to the dismay of their attorneys who all pleaded for their clients’ matters to be expedited. Under the Anti-Gang Act, passed in Parliament on May 3, this year, persons charged with being members of gangs are to be remanded in custody for 120 days, after which they may apply to a judge in chambers for bail. Since the announcement of the state of emergency by Prime  Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on August 21, more than 150 people have appeared in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court on gang related charges. Three men from Cocorite, Sea Lots and El Socorro have since appeared charged with being gang leaders. Cedric Burke, 36, of Sea Lots was accused of being the leader of a gang from Production Avenue, Sea Lots, while Devanand Singh, 42, of El Socorro was charged with being the leader of the “Devanand Gang”. Both men appeared before Ayers-Caesar on Monday. Last week Cocorite resident Jason Lewis was charged with being the leader of the “Water Hole Gang”. Burke, Singh and Lewis all face up to 25 years in prison if convicted, while gang members face a maximum sentence of ten years’ imprisonment.

Alright....now we getting somewhere. That "anti-gang act" dread boy. Once the charge is being in a gang, they could hold yuh for 120 days before yuh could get bail? Before yuh get a trial? Serious shit. So ah babylon could see yuh walking on the street, hold yuh, charge you with being in a gang jess so and before yuh know it yuh in jail for 4 months? Not sure if I like this aspect of that law. Thats skewing justice toward the police. Not good. I wonder what is the criteria for being in a gang?

At least they calling gang names. Was wondering how they arresting men for being in gangs but the gangs not being identified. I kinda feel like I woulda make my name in Trinidad now if I was a lawyer.

My biggest question is, if they had all this info. on people before that they could now go and just rounds them up (all kinda warrants and murder charges outstanding they calling) what the frig was preventing them from holding these people before??
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 31, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »
Bourbon, yuh see what ah was saying.....

3-month extension for SoE
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

The State of Emergency is to be extended for three months.

Once the extension is approved by a simple majority in the House of Representatives it would mean that the State of Emergency is legally in force until midnight on November 6, unless Government decides to lift it before that time. It will end on November 7.

A motion is to come to the House of Representatives on Friday asking the House to agree that the State of Emergency be extended for a period not exceeding three months.

Three months is the maximum time under the Constitution that the State of Emergency can be extended, before the (initial)15-day period, that the President has the power to impose. The State of Emergency began on August 22. The 15-day period ends on September 5. The extension would begin therefore on September 6 and end on November 6.

On Friday, the House will therefore debate two motions. The first motion will ask the House to debate the specific grounds on which the decision to declare a State of Emergency was based, according to Section 1 (9) of the Trinidad and Tobago Constitution. The House of Representatives does not approve this motion, it merely debates the resolution.

The second motion is the motion to extend the State of Emergency. This motion must be approved by a majority of MPs. As Government has a comfortable majority 29/12, it is expected that this motion would be carried with, or without the support of the Opposition PNM.

Under the Constitution the Government can extend a State of Emergency more than once, but the extension in the aggregate must not exceed six months.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/3-month_extension_for_SoE-128722713.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 31, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »
My biggest question is, if they had all this info. on people before that they could now go and just rounds them up (all kinda warrants and murder charges outstanding they calling) what the frig was preventing them from holding these people before??

This is the same question Keith Rowley has been asking since the SoE started but nobody eh want to hear he and the PNM by extension....is dem get we in this crap so dey just being hypocritical......
He (Rowley) has been saying that this draconian piece of legislation was debated over and worked on for many months.  Plenty back and forth because of  hthe very concerns you raised...as the potential to infringe on people's rights.  And now that its finally in place, instead we get and SoE to deal with gangs....

Also, the answer to your question lies in a little discourse Football Supporter and I had earlier in this thread.....with the Anti-gang bill in place the government using some legal maneuvering to hold people (via the SoE) and charge them under the legislation.....I think earlier this week or late last week Subhas Panday, who was in the cabinet at the time the law was drafted, said he never expected the law to be used in this manner.......but he coming off kinda hypocritical too....

To be honest I didn't pay the law much attention when the debate was raging but I do remember the concerns people had about it......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 31, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »
On a positive note....I think....

Soldiers keep it cool
By Gyasi Gonzales

REPUTED to be the "meanest of the bunch", the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment's approach to policing turned out to be something much different during a "tour" of Chaguanas on Monday night.

With three photo journalists and one television cameraman, "embedded" with the troops, the regiment officers drove through the borough, armed to the teeth with machine guns and emergency laws but instead of belligerence there was a lot of understanding.

From around 9 p.m. the party departed its Port of Spain installation and headed to the populous borough as the regiment wanted to show the public "its" version of a patrol, apparently having grown tired of seeing blue, "police kits" dominating newspaper front pages.

Several cars were stopped.

Some had curfew passes while others had really good explanations for breaking the one-week-old emergency laws such as, heading to the police station, heading to the health centre or heading home after picking up relatives at the airport.

One curfew breaker was found lying on the pavement along the Montrose Main Road, however.

Roughly, he was told to get up.

He tried but then he staggered as the officers quickly grabbed him, and after realising his situation, they ordered all members of the military and media party not to expose the would-be curfew breaker to any open flames.

They then made the decision to deliver the man to the Chaguanas Police Station but the sight of a roving ambulance quickly caused a change of those plans and the lucky gentleman was instead taken to the Chaguanas Health Centre by ambulance personnel.

"If he only know how lucky he is that we he bounce up," one soldier was heard telling another as they laughed among themselves.

Another curfew breaker on foot was spotted lower down the Montrose Main Road near the entrance to Longdenville.

He had a duffel bag in hand.  Stopped and told that he was violating the curfew the man pleaded not to be taken to jail.  "Sir, you can be charged for what you are doing," barked the lone female soldier on the tour.
He gesticulated wildly with his hands and even dipped into his bag to show the soldiers that he had nothing to hide.

"Listen, sir. Make up yuh mind is either yuh going home or in the station. Yuh have a choice," said the female officer.  In the end he was bundled into the unmarked military SUV and taken back to his house in Ravine Sable.  Residents could be seen peering from their homes anytime the regiment party stopped. No one dared say anything.

Chaguanas pot hounds, on the other hand, seemed to be the only ones emboldened by the State of Emergency as on many an occasion one had to drive around them as they lay fast asleep in the middle of the road.

Some even tried to bite the tyres off the military vehicles as they passed.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Soldiers_keep_it_cool-128722658.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 31, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
I have a friend, who's friend was arrested in connection to a robbery. She went bto his house after to make sure his stuff was secure. Police/Army had searched his house. Although it was clear there had been a search, she said, the place was not messed up and there was no damage. It appeared that respect had taken place with regards to his property. At least this refutes some of the reports of police mashing up places.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »
Alright....now we getting somewhere. That "anti-gang act" dread boy. Once the charge is being in a gang, they could hold yuh for 120 days before yuh could get bail? Before yuh get a trial? Serious shit. So ah babylon could see yuh walking on the street, hold yuh, charge you with being in a gang jess so and before yuh know it yuh in jail for 4 months? Not sure if I like this aspect of that law. Thats skewing justice toward the police. Not good. I wonder what is the criteria for being in a gang?

At least they calling gang names. Was wondering how they arresting men for being in gangs but the gangs not being identified. I kinda feel like I woulda make my name in Trinidad now if I was a lawyer.

Allyuh men MIA... I started to sound like a broken record, but since they propose this law I was opposed to it because it results in a de facto jail sentence before trial.  Imagine if any of these men really innocent?  4 mos jail for nutten, in some cases yuh end up losing yuh wuk... which employer holding a job fuh yuh fuh four months?

... and the dotish ass magistrate "the judicial system not racist"... that's not what the lawyer was saying, he saying they getting arrested because of their race, the police and them profiling is what he said.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »
so in essence TnT is now a police state and with this suffocation of rights it seems as if the esteemed AG is on track to change the constitution.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
Lets just sit back and watch de ride. Cuz I thinking..if it working....den why the need to extend?

If the big fish and all the guns and ammo getting held.....then why extend?

But....we go see.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:47:32 AM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #564 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
so in essence TnT is now a police state and with this suffocation of rights it seems as if the esteemed AG is on track to change the constitution.
It is.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »

It seems the view from govt is simple. You have an infected foot, so lets cut the whole leg off. There may be collatteral damage, but we got the poison. They used the carefully constructed anti gang laws under the SOE. This combines two powerful pieces of legislation, but removes civil rights. And nobody can complain too loud, because under an SOE you cannot form organised protests in the street, and you daren't start a facebook revoloution.

I previously stated that the ends justified the means, and Bakes criticised that opinion. I'm thinking now, that if this continues for 3 months, he may be right. I understood that maybe one or two innocent guys would get locked up, but with the lack of proper information, its likely that a lot more innocent people could be detained.

We need information such as  "Mr X was found with proceeds from a robbery" "Mr Y's fingerprints were on a seized weapon" "Mr Z was photographed handing over money in exchange for 1 kilo of cocaine"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 31, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »

Once the extension is approved by a simple majority Under the Constitution the Government can extend a State of Emergency more than once, but the extension in the aggregate must not exceed six months.

Has this extension passed? or still to be passed?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 31, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »
It seems the view from govt is simple. You have an infected foot, so lets cut the whole leg off. There may be collatteral damage, but we got the poison. They used the carefully constructed anti gang laws under the SOE. This combines two powerful pieces of legislation, but removes civil rights. And nobody can complain too loud, because under an SOE you cannot form organised protests in the street, and you daren't start a facebook revoloution.

I previously stated that the ends justified the means, and Bakes criticised that opinion. I'm thinking now, that if this continues for 3 months, he may be right. I understood that maybe one or two innocent guys would get locked up, but with the lack of proper information, its likely that a lot more innocent people could be detained.

We need information such as  "Mr X was found with proceeds from a robbery" "Mr Y's fingerprints were on a seized weapon" "Mr Z was photographed handing over money in exchange for 1 kilo of cocaine"

I see you keep crediting the anti-gang law as being "carefully constructed" to protect civil rights... I was tempted to respond in the main forum, but will do so now.  There was nothing at all 'careful' about the legislation, unless you want to argue that it was carefully crafted to score cheap political points.  The legislation is what we would call here in the US, "vague and overbroad".  It is vague in that it isn't entirely clear what constitutes a crime under the legislation.  It is overbroad because even law-abiding citizens going about their business can be caught up in the sweep.

Additionally, it does nothing to safeguard civil rights because it is possible to evade judicial review for up to 4 months.  Four months may not sound like a lot, but who wants to give up four months of freedom... any volunteers?  Worse yet, who wants to spend it behind bars in Trinidad, where prisoners are beaten an abused on a daily basis... and that's just by the prison officers, not counting what happens when they turn their backs.  And no, I not making this up... a boyhood pardna of mine is a prisons officer and that man tell me officers does break down on the regular from the things they does have to do and forced to see happening behind bars.  Imagine how it is for the prisoners.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 31, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »

I see you keep crediting the anti-gang law as being "carefully constructed" to protect civil rights... I was tempted to respond in the main forum, but will do so now.  There was nothing at all 'careful' about the legislation, unless you want to argue that it was carefully crafted to score cheap political points.  The legislation is what we would call here in the US, "vague and overbroad".  It is vague in that it isn't entirely clear what constitutes a crime under the legislation.  It is overbroad because even law-abiding citizens going about their business can be caught up in the sweep.

Additionally, it does nothing to safeguard civil rights because it is possible to evade judicial review for up to 4 months.  Four months may not sound like a lot, but who wants to give up four months of freedom... any volunteers?  Worse yet, who wants to spend it behind bars in Trinidad, where prisoners are beaten an abused on a daily basis... and that's just by the prison officers, not counting what happens when they turn their backs.  And no, I not making this up... a boyhood pardna of mine is a prisons officer and that man tell me officers does break down on the regular from the things they does have to do and forced to see happening behind bars.  Imagine how it is for the prisoners.

By carefully crafted, I was referring to the cross party agreements when constructing the law. Although you are correct on the detention, as I understand it, there has to be certain requirements to initiate arrests, which have been removed under the SOE. I was in no way stating that the anti gang law was a perfect piece of legislation, but merely that the checks and balances forced by the PNM have all been swept aside under the SOE. This is why the PNM are saying they would never have supported the AGL if they could of foreseen an SOE. And lets be honest, who amongst us foresaw a State of Emergency just to tackle crime?

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 31, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »

Once the extension is approved by a simple majority Under the Constitution the Government can extend a State of Emergency more than once, but the extension in the aggregate must not exceed six months.

Has this extension passed? or still to be passed?

we'll know by friday for sure
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

1]; } ?>