April 29, 2024, 11:45:01 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 162769 times)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #630 on: September 03, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
Like this thread died?  What happen in Parliament with the extension, meeting, secret info etc.

They must b gone Balls of Fire

You ain't wrong. Anil played for Soca Warriors. Actually nearly scored a good goal!

You on kicks right?

Any word on the secret evidence that prompted the SOE?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 03, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
Ah getting SOE fatigue so ah avoiding the news and all de debates (cuss outs really) on this issue.  But the debates in Parliament yesterday had me thinking even more about this SOE.

This kinda long so ah would understand if all yuh steups and move on....but bear with me nah....

As I've said before, I have an uncomfortable feeling about this SOE.  The initial problem I had with it (and still is my main problem) is that it came out of left field.  As I've also said before, in the weeks leading up to the PM's announcement this government was shouting for all who could hear that the MURDER rate was going down and the plans they have in place will take time to bear fruit but they are working on the problem.

In fact, what Roodal Moonial said (THE DAY BEFORE KAMLA's announcement) sums up what I had been hearing for about 2 – 3 weeks before the SOE…

LEADER of Government business Dr Roodal Moonilal said yesterday citizens ought not to feel insecure following the recent upsurge in killings.
Moonilal disagreed that there was a need for a State of Emergency with the killing of seven people on Friday night, taking the murder toll to 256.
Moonilal said: "I think citizens should still feel secure. I think there is an upsurge in the gang related activity that is creating an unease, but I am very confident in Mr John Sandy and the Police Service to respond to this challenge."

Asked how Government was planning to tackle the crime situation, Moonilal said the Minister of National Security had plans and strategies which he was confident will work.

He said: "I am aware of Mr Sandy's plans and he has a variety of strategies to combat crime. I am very confident that in the short term we will see the results of that."

So all that and then BAM!!  SOE in we pweffen!!  IT DOH MAKE SENSE!!  IT JUST DOH MAKE SENSE!!

Further, the night of the SOE, Madame PM claimed that a number of drug busts being made by the police (and she cited the $22 million bust the week before as an example), was leading to a gang warfare or words to that effect.   During the debate, Min. Sandy described this imminent threat as an event that would have made 1990 look like a tea party.

So they called a SOE and I'm assuming that the crisis has been averted.  I have to assume because I haven't heard the Cowboy "X"  AG pong his chest about arrests made in connection to this particular drug bust.  I haven't heard that the people who were going to be a part of the blood bath are safely behind bars.  I also haven't heard of who were the officials at the airport (customs for example) or who were the financiers involved in the $22 million drug bust having been arrested.  I haven't heard that the fellas involved in the shoot up in Arima has been held.....how come??   It not supposed to take them so long. 

The track record of this PP government is PR, PR, PR.....if any of these things had happened the Cowboy "X"   AG would have made it his duty to tell us.  So I'm left with assumptions.

So 15 days later and the crisis has been averted, I assume.

But, but, but....what are the grounds for imposing a SOE on the country??  This is what the constitution says about the grounds under which a State of Emergency can be called:-

THE CONSTITUTION PART II
Section 8
(1) Subject to this section, for the purposes of this Chapter, the President may from time to time make a Proclamation declaring that a state of public emergency exists.
(2) A Proclamation made by the President under subsection (1) shall not be effective unless it contains a declaration that the President is satisfied-
(a) that a public emergency has arisen as a result of the imminence of a state of war between Trinidad and Tobago and a foreign State;
(b) that a public emergency has arisen as a result of the occurrence of any earthquake, hurricane, flood, fire, outbreak of pestilence or of infectious disease, or other calamity whether similar to the foregoing or not; or
(c) that action has been taken, or is immediately threatened. by any person, of such a nature and on so extensive a scale, as to be likely to endanger the public safety or to deprive the community or any substantial portion of the community of supplies or services essential to life.

Its clearly not (a) and clearly not (b) so that leaves (c).  I heard this used as the reason for the state of emergency and at first I bought it wholesale without actually reading the clause.  I think the key word(s) here are OF SUCH A NATURE AND ON SO EXTENSIVE A SCALE.

So this imminent threat arising out of these drug busts were going to be so extensive that we would have seen people being shot down all over the place willy nilly then??  I would not have been able to walk the streets without having to duck and run for cover at every turn.  We would have been  involved an internal war the likes of say Mexico border town gang war fare??    Really??  For a $22 million drug bust??  Really??  Really??  What made this drug bust so different to the other drug busts??  How much was the Monos Island drug bust worth??  Or any of the others over the years??

Hhhhhmmmm…..alright.  But why the state needs another 3 months to contain this imminent threat??  3 months??!!  Oh wait, I forget this allows the police to their jobs more effectively.  Apparently they can’t work unless there is an SOE in place and 15 days is clearly not enough time.  So like we in for about 6 moths at least of SOE in we pweffen!!

I’m turning this over and over in my mind and I seriously doubt  this had nothing to do with any 11 murders in 48 hours or any blood bath threat BS.

So what could it be then??  Hhhhhmmmm…..this government is known for PR, smoke screen and BS.  Ever since this SOE we have all been collectively distracted from the myriad of issues that were facing us and this government.    As I was listening to the debate in Parliament yesterday something occurred to me…..included in the list of right that are suspended right now this one intrigues me….

Legal Supplement Part B—Vol. 50, No. 108—21st August, 2011 437
LEGAL NOTICE NO. 163 REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
THE CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO CHAP. 1:01 REGULATIONS
MADE BY THE PRESIDENT UNDER SECTION 7 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
THE EMERGENCY POWERS REGULATIONS, 2011
Prohibition on the holding of public meetings and marches
7. (1) Except with prior permission in writing of the Commissioner of Police, the grant of which shall be in his discretion, no person shall hold or take part in any public march or in any public meeting.
(2) Nothing in this regulation shall apply to any meeting of a class or description referred to in the First Schedule.
(3) Notwithstanding the exception of marches and processions provided for in paragraphs (c) and (d) of the definition of “public march” in regulation 2(1), the Commissioner of Police may prohibit any such march or procession in a public place if, having regard to the time at which and the circumstances in which the march or procession is held or is to be held, he had reasonable grounds for believing that the holding of such march or procession may occasion a breach of the peace or public disorder.
(4) The grant of any permission under this regulation may be subject to such terms and conditions as the Commissioner of Police may think fit for giving effect to these Regulations.

Ah have a theory but its so crazy it cyar work.   In fact, mih theory so crazy that if its true then is crazy people running the place…..all I have to say is folks who happy and excited about this SOE curbing crime....I over the moon for all yuh.....but I really, really, really have my doubts.....

We have another 3 months to go.....let's see......

"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 03, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
Like this thread died?  What happen in Parliament with the extension, meeting, secret info etc.

You ain't wrong. Anil played for Soca Warriors. Actually nearly scored a good goal!

You on kicks right?

No, seriously....he nearly scored when he received the ball with his back to goal, spun and pelted the ball towards the corner. Goalie made a good save.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 04, 2011, 03:11:26 AM »
Brown sugar , weh you pouting so for, and why you want tuh be out so late fuh anyway? ain't you supposed to be ah female? when i was growin up women, including my granny and mammy dem used tuh be in de house by 7pm and they didn't used tuh leave the house after dark unless it's an emergency.

woman, nowadays real wayward yes. :whistling:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 04, 2011, 04:52:52 AM »
Brown sugar , weh you pouting so for, and why you want tuh be out so late fuh anyway? ain't you supposed to be ah female? when i was growin up women, including my granny and mammy dem used tuh be in de house by 7pm and they didn't used tuh leave the house after dark unless it's an emergency.

woman, nowadays real wayward yes. :whistling:

:D
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 04, 2011, 08:39:45 AM »
Hmmm, one wonders ... what would the consequence of many, many, many, many, many, many enterprising souls orchestrating a march, protest, procession etc. be?

truetrini

« Reply #636 on: September 04, 2011, 10:11:46 AM »
‎"They that give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #637 on: September 04, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »

You on kicks right?

No, seriously....he nearly scored when he received the ball with his back to goal, spun and pelted the ball towards the corner. Goalie made a good save.

with all these arrests, how many are being convicted and sentenced?

i read about the AG setting up a tribunal for all those arrested and detained, i am assuming this tribunal will convict and sentence?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:58:06 AM by Controversial »

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 04, 2011, 11:30:56 AM »
wow. i have been watching the debates over the last three days and let me tell you, members from both sides really dont give a fack about the citizens of T&T. Its only 'well d PP is best' 'no d PNM was d best' and nothing really is being discussed

up to now the government has not said what is the real reason for the SOE, which i believe most citizens wanted to know

then Lincoln Douglas dumb ass in his contribution says that 'even if ppl get a good nights rest because drivers are no longer driving up and down the streets blasting their radios/horns, then the SOE is worth it'  ::)

what more can i say

No rights for the next three months. Living in a police state for the next three months. being treated like a child by the government for the next three months. what we go do  :-\
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 04, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has announced a change in the curfew hours. From Monday, the curfew will start at 11pm and end at 4am.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE 9PM START APPLIES TONIGHT ONLY.

Motion to extend the State of Emergency for a further three months has been passed. 29 MPs voted in support of the extension and 10 voted against.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 04, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »
Hmmm, one wonders ... what would the consequence of many, many, many, many, many, many enterprising souls orchestrating a march, protest, procession etc. be?

yeah. dey could wear black shirts ...

‎"They that give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Benjamin Franklin

TC, yuh sounding like de tea party. ah could well imagine yuh participating in those civil war re-enactments with de three-corner hat.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 04, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
TC and Tea Party?    :heehee: 

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 04, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
Brownsugar, in response to your post I do hope that the purpose for the SOE was sincere and legit.   I really do because there are many many questions raised by the way it all went down.  I hope the answers come soon enough.  The citizens have a right to know why some civil liberties have been suspended.  Absolutely.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:15:17 PM by Preacher »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #644 on: September 04, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Benjamin Franklin

TC, yuh sounding like de tea party. ah could well imagine yuh participating in those civil war re-enactments with de three-corner hat.

:D

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 04, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
Prime Minister: I would do it again
http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=31316
Youtube Channel

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 04, 2011, 04:19:23 PM »

They obviously know something that they cannot reveal.  Something major. 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 04, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

Listen, I eh watch her contribution but I picked up from a post on CCN TV6's fb page that she said something to the effect that a major crisis was averted.  If so, why the need to extend the SOE for 3 more months??    They didn't even have to extend it for 3 months.  It could have been extended for a minimum of 30 days....why not do the minimum. If the "intelligence" is so on point, then why do they need all this time to avert this crisis that has been averted already.... ??? :-\

Preacher, I was one of the people who was calling for a SOE long time.  My rationale was, the PNM was trying all kinda thing and it wasn't wukking. 

This government came with all kinda plans.  So I say alright, they new let me give them some room. Let them outline their plans and take it from there.  In addition to which they got a piece of legislation that the PNM never had to work with....

As far as I'm aware, since taking office they have not laid out any comprehensive plans for fighting crime.  How could they when every 24 hours we were being bombarded by all kinda bachanal and distractions and not getting down to the matter at hand??   So despite all dey grand charging and ponging up dey chest, dey realise things getting out of hand and give we this knee jerk SOE. 

One that is not well thought out.  One whose real reason is a big secret that we cyar know.  One that would avert a crisis that done averted already but still need 3 more months to avert....and use the time to outline anti-crime initiatives.  Where were those initiative all this time??....

Steups!!

@ Warrior Queen,  I only take een that debate in bits and pieces and didn't bother to watch today.....I got tired of having my intelligence insulted.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 04, 2011, 05:52:59 PM »
Stolen diesel found in scrap iron yard

Housing and Environment Minister, Dr Roodal Moonilal, has confirmed that army officers found and later seized stolen diesel which was hidden in a heap of scrap metal.

Speaking on the Motion to extend the State of Emergency, he said the diesel was intended to be exported illegally and this racket could not have been uncovered outside the State of Emergency.

"The army came across an underground bunker of sorts that held 80,000 gallons of diesel in the vicinity and under scrap iron."

Minister Moonilal said he believes the diesel could have been hidden in the scrap metal heap for some time and would have been unknown to the average man.

He added that the powers given to the law enforecment officers under the SoE which put a stop to this illegal activity.

The Minister said he is tired of hearing Opposition members say a State of Emergency is not necessary to put a stop to such criminal activities and that the Government could have dealt with the crime wave under the powers conferred under existing laws.

Dr Moonilal said he did not understood their rationale. He explained, "Many of those are illegal but what do some of these so-called dealers do? Not all, some. They hide weapons and other illegal substances in those areas."

He challenged the Opposition saying landmark pieces of legislation such as the Anti-Gang Act and the Human Trafficking Bill are being used together with the Emergency Powers under the State of Emergency.

http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=31322&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

-----------

Police find more guns

Police are questioning a man in connection with the discovery of a cache of arms behind a house in Claxton Bay.

Acting on information, a party of police officers and soldiers searched the premises and found an Italian made submachine gun, a rifle and a handgun behind the house at Diamond Road, Diamond Village in Claxton Bay on Saturday afternoon.

Police officers identified the weapon as an Italian-made Baretta submachine gun. It was found with a mounted stand.

Although the submachine gun seemed old and rusted, officers said it was well-oiled and appeared to have been in use.

In addition to the submachine gun, the raiding party also found and seized a rifle, a handgun, army camouflage outfits and several cell phones which they believe could provide useful information.

The party which made the discovery was comprised of 26 police officers and 30 soldiers and was led by Assistant Superintendent Jamsheed Mohammed who was assisted by Sergeant Nabbie of the Southern Division Task Force. The exercise was coordinated by Senior Superintendent Deodath Dulalchan, the head of the Southern Division.
Police say the suspect was detained with the help of Ian Alleyne, host of the Crimewatch television programme. The suspect reportedly surrendered to Mr Alleyne and was turned over to the police in an exchange near the Grand Bazaar mall at the intersection of the Churchill Roosevelt and Uriah Butler Highways.

The man has a military background and they believe the camouflage outfit and military fatigues belonged to him.

http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=31328&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Youtube Channel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 04, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »

The problem is that there is a severe lack of trust in the govt, rightly or wrongly. Now, the govt can't have it all their own way here. There are three scenarios I believe are possible

1) This major operation was the cause of the SOE. Fine. So if you had this info and successfuly thwarted the crisis, then tell us at least some broad information. After all, if the govt have caught these people, then the govt can reveal what the crisis was, or if they have at least identyfied the bandits and they have fled, again, theres no reason we can't have the basics.

An example would be: the govt received intelligence that a major drug ring was planning to attack an area known to harbour a second major drug ring. Intelligence led us to believe that the attack would not just be on gang members, but wives, families, children and neighbours of the gang members. The relevent gang leaders and gang members of both gangs have been arrested, however, there are still other targets yet to be identified from fresh evidence, therefore the SOE must remain in place.
No state secrets given away there

2) Govt had info as above, but failed to catch anyone involved and therefore need to keep a lockdown until they can be found.

An example would be: the govt received intelligence that a major drug ring was planning to attack an area known to harbour a second major drug ring. Intelligence led us to believe that the attack would not just be on gang members, but wives, families, children and neighbours of the gang members. However, at this time, only a few members of these gangs have been apprehended, and the threat still exists. The gov't feel that in the interests of public safety, the SOE should continue. The police have now uncovered further intelligence which will lead to the detention of significant gang leaders from other areas.

3) Govt had no major threat, but panicked and needed to take some kind of affirmative action. Govt realised that the intelligence obtained did not lead them to the targets they wanted and, thus, the SOE has not had results successful enough to warrent the SOE.

An example: Upon receiving certain, uncorroberated, yet trusted intelligence, it was decided that inter gang wars were due to escalate. In order to contain any further gang violence, the gov't decided to put an SOE in place. So far to date, hundreds of gang members are off the streets. However, the gov't feels it can inflict major long term damage to the drug and gang culture if the SOE continues for another 3 months.

The gov't can pass information to the public without revealing operational details.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 04, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
Watched and listen to a few contributions in the debate over the weekend.

Saw all of Imbert and Amery Browne, some of Suruj Rambachan, some of Jack, some of Rowley, all of Anil Roberts and Gypsy and most of Kamla.

Forgot how painful it is to watch a parliamentary session, big men acting like schoolchildren with the speaker playing headmaster and plenty comedy on offer.

As much as I dislike Imbert, he put together a good presentation covering all the main points of contention. Spoke about the suspension of citizen's rights, the economic impact to small businesses and workers, the international fallout for the tourism sector and the lack of tangible results. Amery Browne had a good contribution as well and Jack come out strong with facts and figures to support his presentation.

On the government side, loudmouth Anil come out spitting fire this morning lambasting the PNM for failed crime measures during their 8 years in power. He is another one I doh like at all but I cyah lie he shock meh with his contribution. He come with he facts and figures and a setta soundbites and gave a strong showing, look like he take to politics like a duck to water. He drop one today, he bawl out "Today only 2 people from the Crowne Plaza meeting with the 'community leaders' are alive.. 1 is in prison and the other one well figure that out".

Anyway, all in all I find it was a wasteful exercise. After the first few speakers, it started becoming repetitive on both sides with each new speakers just recounting the same rhetoric as the former.

As for the PP, instead of debating the reasons and justification for the SoE the government spend 90% of the time talking about the opposition, blaming them for the crime situation and recounting their failed measures during their 8 years in power. One setta political grandstanding with little relevance to the issue at hand. I thought the debate was supposed to reveal what the reasons were that prompted the SoE, what were the objectives and what was the medium to long term plan, but none of that was forthcoming. Just a setta bait and switch and political cross talk.

At at the end of it all said and done we get the foregone conclusion which is 3 more months of SoE in we craw.

truetrini

« Reply #651 on: September 04, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »
A lockdown on the plantation - Sep 4         
View Comments
2011    - Letters to the Editor
Saturday, 03 September 2011 22:58
Article Index
A lockdown on the plantation - Sep 4
To God be the glory!
Proud of priests-to-be
All Pages
Page 1 of 3
DEAR EDITOR: The current State of Emergency called by the present government in response to the spiralling crime rate has brought to the fore some pertinent issues which we will have to face squarely and honestly at some point as a nation. It has pointed out in no uncertain terms that our “rainbow nation” which we love to boast about in interfacing with the world is deeply segregated along class and racial lines, no big deal one may say, tell us something we don’t know.

But I am not sure people realise just how far these divisions go and what they will imply for us eventually. The van-load of “criminals” who were hunted down, loaded up, handcuffed and carted off reminded me uncomfortably of a slave coffle. Except this time the runaway slaves were delinquent African males hiding out in isolated maroon communities along the east-west corridor, more than 500 of them at last count.

They threatened the peace of mind and the lifestyle of our entrenched plantocracy – the upper and middle classes. The present state of emergency amounts to a lock-down on the plantation so that the unwanted elements can be weeded out, punished and kept in abeyance. Everyone has to account for his/her whereabouts and obtain “passes” to move from one plantation to the next. There are times set aside for particular duties indicated by the blast of the conch shell, with the understanding that the natives cannot be left with too much spare time, idleness leads to too much revelry and eventual anarchy.

Speaking to many persons since the State of Emergency began there is a feeling that it is just what we needed. “We too free in Trinidad” a woman told me “…is time we learn some discipline.” There is also a sense somehow that we are now safe. Those who stepped out of line are now in the lock-up or have been taught a lesson. But I wonder.

The scenes accompanying the detainment of individuals on Nelson Street were not indicative of a compliant community ridding itself of the unwanted elements but an irate and hostile crowd who felt that they were being unfairly targetted and harassed by police and members of the military. In the face of these oppressive forces the masses gathered to beat their drums and vent their rage at a militia who only looked like them but who were the stool pigeons of the ruling class. The “crimes” they were being accused of had nothing to do with the robberies, kidnappings, murders and drugs they had peddled but the lack of respect showed them, the jobs they could never get, the lifestyle they would never achieve, the mis-education they received, the stigma attached to their brand of blackness and the lies made to them by politicians.

The irony of daily life on the sugar plantation was that while slaves were accused by plantation owners of malingering, stealing, feigning illness, destroying property etc. the more serious moral issue of the brutal treatment meted out to them, their lack of freedom and the deprivation of their basic human rights was completely ignored. The question the people of Nelson Street asked was in the same vein. Which is the larger crime, to sell drugs, or to be stuck in a life of poverty that offered few opportunities for advancement.

Maybe my analogy is completely off as analogies tend to be and I probably read too much into all this but I suspect that somewhere in our social engineering here in Trinidad we have got it all wrong and the present state of affairs is indicative of a deep disaffection. Our “hot spots” are really areas that require sensible interventions and careful attention. We need curfews in the lives of wealthy persons to take them away from making more money and expose them to the daily grind of the poor. Our social services and family life is in a state of emergency and our propensity to import everything foreign needs house arrest.

Failing this I concur with the view expressed recently in one of our daily newspapers: “This government has only further deepened the trenches of class segregation and it will have monstrous consequences.”

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
“This government has only further deepened the trenches of class segregation and it will have monstrous consequences.”

Says it all, really.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #653 on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
First Up Online: 02.21.11
A call for Limited State of Emergency.... from the 1:00 mark and beyond.

http://video.ctntworld.com/view/679/first-up-online-022111/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:10:32 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

truetrini

« Reply #654 on: September 04, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »

Benjamin Franklin

You sounding like one ah dem Laventeee negroes o de back of ah pick up tray..heading to at least 4 months of jail.  I could see yuh now in yuh wife beater, 3/4 pants, in hand cuffs like ah character in a bad rap video!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 04, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
Around 7.50 some interesting info. One of the guys arrested at the Hyatt had been awarded a CEPEP contract on the day he checked into the Hyatt  :o

http://video.ctntworld.com/view/845/c-news-7pm-online-020911/

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 04, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »

Listen, I eh watch her contribution but I picked up from a post on CCN TV6's fb page that she said something to the effect that a major crisis was averted.  If so, why the need to extend the SOE for 3 more months??    They didn't even have to extend it for 3 months.  It could have been extended for a minimum of 30 days....why not do the minimum. If the "intelligence" is so on point, then why do they need all this time to avert this crisis that has been averted already.... ??? :-\

Preacher, I was one of the people who was calling for a SOE long time.  My rationale was, the PNM was trying all kinda thing and it wasn't wukking. 

This government came with all kinda plans.  So I say alright, they new let me give them some room. Let them outline their plans and take it from there.  In addition to which they got a piece of legislation that the PNM never had to work with....

As far as I'm aware, since taking office they have not laid out any comprehensive plans for fighting crime.  How could they when every 24 hours we were being bombarded by all kinda bachanal and distractions and not getting down to the matter at hand??   So despite all dey grand charging and ponging up dey chest, dey realise things getting out of hand and give we this knee jerk SOE. 

One that is not well thought out.  One whose real reason is a big secret that we cyar know.  One that would avert a crisis that done averted already but still need 3 more months to avert....and use the time to outline anti-crime initiatives.  Where were those initiative all this time??....

Steups!!

@ Warrior Queen,  I only take een that debate in bits and pieces and didn't bother to watch today.....I got tired of having my intelligence insulted.....

B I think we'll know.  We have to know, let me put it that way.  Any national security threat has to be made known sooner or later.  I heard rumors that what was averted would have made the Coup look like it was nothing, so we'll have to wait and see.  If they want to be re-elected they cannot withhold that info. 

"It would have made 1990 Coup would have looked like a Christmas party"    ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:43:00 PM by Preacher »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:24 AM »
There is a BB broadcast making the rounds that 16 days ago...a container with high powered weapons vanished from the port.

It is this cache that caused the SOE.

Maybe if we put this info, along with Sandy's comments, along with the drug bust we could see where dey coming from.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 05, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
There is a BB broadcast making the rounds that 16 days ago...a container with high powered weapons vanished from the port.

Maybe if we put this info, along with Sandy's comments, along with the drug bust we could see where dey coming from.

Dat is d rumour dat goin around d place.

This is drumour dat goin aroun
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 05, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »

This government is the most corrupted government in the History of T&T.

Who vex lorse  >:(
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>