April 29, 2024, 11:37:14 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 162753 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #1020 on: October 02, 2011, 07:25:46 AM »
A clothing store is having a massive 'SoE' sale.I'm not being facetious they're really calling it that . At this point everybody knows its just bullshit.

marios has a 'state of urgency' special as well
Try googling state of emergency and sale.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 02, 2011, 08:01:31 AM »
Poll: Strong support for SoE, curfew

A poll conducted by the North American Caribbean Teachers’ Association shows strong support for the limited state of emergency (SoE), declared on August 21. People’s views, however, tend to diverge on the curfew hours with most being supportive and some calling to end the curfew altogether saying it had served its purpose and is not so effective as during the initial stage. Citizens note that the curfew should be imposed on the entire country and not limited to specific areas since criminals could relocate from hotspots and gravitate to communities not under curfew restrictions. Approximately 410 respondents were interviewed at random, reflecting the demographic composition of the voting population.

Asked if they supported the state of emergency when it was initially declared, 74 per cent said yes, pointing out that it has served more good than harm providing people with a sense of safety. The overwhelming majority said the state of emergency has served as a deterrent to crime. People indicate they had reached a saturation point in tolerating crime especially homicides and applaud the Government for trying something to bring down the crime rate. However, when asked if they back the extension of the state of emergency through December, support slipped to 64 per cent with young people saying it has affected their social life. Members of the business community also complained that the curfew has impacted on business with their revenues falling.

With regards to the curfew hours, 43 per cent prefer 11 pm to 5 am, with 24 per cent saying they would like to revert back to the 9 pm to 5 am hours, while others want the curfew to end altogether saying it is too disruptive to their lives. Though supportive of any measure designed to reduce crime, respondents feel there is need for a state of emergency in Tobago as well.

PM’s approval ratings hold steady
The findings also show the Prime Minister’s approval ratings holding, with those of the Opposition Leader slipping on the state of emergency issue. Asked if they supported the state of emergency when it was first declared, 74 per cent said yes.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/10/02/poll-strong-support-soe-curfew
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 02, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »
I actually feel less safe during this SoE than when we didnt have any. I have been locking my gallery gate these last few weeks after having never locked them before. dont be fooled by the news reports. there is still alot of crime going on that is not being reported.

d bandits do not care about the SoE. it still have plenty of them out there still and they moving to suit along with the rest of the population.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 02, 2011, 05:57:27 PM »

A poll conducted by the North American Caribbean Teachers’ Association shows strong support for the limited state of emergency (SoE), declared on August 21. People’s views, however, tend to diverge on the curfew hours with most being supportive and some calling to end the curfew altogether saying it had served its purpose and is not so effective as during the initial stage. Citizens note that the curfew should be imposed on the entire country and not limited to specific areas since criminals could relocate from hotspots and gravitate to communities not under curfew restrictions. Approximately 410 respondents were interviewed at random, reflecting the demographic composition of the voting population.

Asked if they supported the state of emergency when it was initially declared, 74 per cent said yes, pointing out that it has served more good than harm providing people with a sense of safety. The overwhelming majority said the state of emergency has served as a deterrent to crime. People indicate they had reached a saturation point in tolerating crime especially homicides and applaud the Government for trying something to bring down the crime rate. However, when asked if they back the extension of the state of emergency through December, support slipped to 64 per cent with young people saying it has affected their social life. Members of the business community also complained that the curfew has impacted on business with their revenues falling.

With regards to the curfew hours, 43 per cent prefer 11 pm to 5 am, with 24 per cent saying they would like to revert back to the 9 pm to 5 am hours, while others want the curfew to end altogether saying it is too disruptive to their lives. Though supportive of any measure designed to reduce crime, respondents feel there is need for a state of emergency in Tobago as well.

The findings also show the Prime Minister’s approval ratings holding, with those of the Opposition Leader slipping on the state of emergency issue. Asked if they supported the state of emergency when it was first declared, 74 per cent said yes.

SOE for Tobago too? What for? To stem all the gang activity, endless murders, drug trade and overall lawlessness over there? It just goes to show how people are thinking, or rather, not thinking. People begging for themselves and their countrymen to be lockedup along with criminals yes, rather than insisting on better policing. I doh think the people of TnT understand thoroughly what an SOE means.
I find the general population kinda unsophisticated, even compared to other caribbean islands and it is reflected in the political discourse, despite our history of political upheaval. TnT is a weird place.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 02, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
This PP government has totally devalued the purpose and use of an SOE!

And many of the dotish people who vote them in backing it as well!

I say it good for them as you usually get what you vote for!!

Sad really, what T&T has come to!  :(
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »
Allyuh foreigners need to stop denying the people of TnT what it is they want.  The minute this SoE is lifted and crime star back up it will have clamoring for the SoE to be put back in place.  I predict it will be lifted for Christmas, and Carnival, but other than that all bets are off.  Might be SoE in allyuh skin fuh de next three and a half years.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 02, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »
I remember a time when T&T calypsonians used to sing great songs calling for freedom in places like South Africa and such!

Very soon they will have to be concentrating on singing freedom songs for regular law abiding citizens in T&T.

Just hope they will be allowed to sing those songs without being arrested themselves and also that they will be given some airplay!  :(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:55:29 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 02, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »
Well mih cousin and he wife call me since Thursday morning to tell me Police break down dey door the day before and ramsacked their house.  We couldn't talk at the time cuz we both busy but I promised to check them over the weekend to get the full details which I did today.

I'll try to summarise as best as I can.  On Wednesday around 4:30 pm while my cousin and wife were not at home, a crew of Police and Soldiers (the soldiers wore masks about 4 of them) pulled up to my cousin's house with the intention of searching his house.  His father (who lives next door) came over and dey (the Police in particular) called my cousin's wife who thought the phone call was a joke and responded jokingly as well.  So the officer then called my cousin who told them that he had nothing to hide and since his father was there they could go ahead and search the house.  I told him I disagreed with him doing that and that he should have been there but I digress a bit.

So they took a crow bar and opened the door.  Now my cousin has CCTV cameras monitoring the exterior of the house so from approx 4:30 the movements of the search party could be seen on camera.  Once the party got inside the cameras were switched off and they were switched back on around 5:17 pm.  My cousin had still not arrived home.

Anyway, when he finally arrived the Police officer in charge told him that they had already searched the house but they didn't want to leave until he came and went through the house to make sure nothing was missing and to talk to him about why they were there. 

So why where they there??   The Police officer told my cousin that the origin of the request for a search came from the soldiers who were there. The police was told that my cousin was a drug lord and that he receives drugs from his Uncle in NY and he had narcotics in the house.  That IS NOT TRUE!!  The police officer actually told him that from the moment they arrived they knew they were wasting their time but had to go along with the charade.

So why would the police and soldiers be looking for drugs in a house where there was none??  Well my cousin has had a long running land dispute with some of his family members who live on the same land that he does (its one big estate type property and every body has a "spot").  It was due to this feud he had the CCTV cameras mentioned above installed.  They threatened to burn down his house on more than one occasion.  One cousin in particular has been very disruptive and has threatened for a while to have him arrested for what ever reason.  So this cousin apparently knows someone in the Army who is quite willing to use his new found powers under the SOE to dig up my cousin's house.

The police officer actually asked my cousin if he "f*&^&%$ng a soldier's wife"  cuz the way they were digging up the place he felt they had a vendetta against my cousin.  My cousin said the officer kept saying he knows they (the police) are wasting their time but didn't have a choice.  When my cousin gave him a background into the land dispute as a possible reason for the "search", the officer actually went to visit the disruptive relative on three occasions but he was not at home.  They eventually left around 5:45 pm.

His wife is so upset about it.  While recounting the events of that day today she broke down for a bit.   
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 02, 2011, 08:34:34 PM »
I real sorry for your cousin and his family... hate to say "I told you so" but these are some of the very concerns I raised earlier being made manifest now.  It may not have meant much, but absent a warrant yuh cousin shoulda never give them permission to search.  Suppose they did plant something? I find it interesting that they know enough to turn off the cameras.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1029 on: October 02, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »

seems like the majority are in favor of the SOE, with adjustments it will be fine.

one poster is talking about apartheid, i would love for him to explain to me how this is an example of apartheid?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1030 on: October 02, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
I remember a time when T&T calypsonians used to sing great songs calling for freedom in places like South Africa and such!

Very soon they will have to be concentrating on singing freedom songs for regular law abiding citizens in T&T.

Just hope they will be allowed to sing those songs without being arrested themselves and also that they will be given some airplay!  :(

explain in detail how this current SOE in your opinion resembles apartheid in south africa?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 02, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
I real sorry for your cousin and his family... hate to say "I told you so" but these are some of the very concerns I raised earlier being made manifest now.  It may not have meant much, but absent a warrant yuh cousin shoulda never give them permission to search.  Suppose they did plant something? I find it interesting that they know enough to turn off the cameras.

But ent under an SOE a warrant not necessary to search premises?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 03, 2011, 12:00:59 AM »
But ent under an SOE a warrant not necessary to search premises?

They don't need the warrant but they must at least have a reasonable suspicion that the premises either contain contraband, or that criminal activity afoot. Assuming they plant something on the premises, you could at least hang onto the hope of challenging the legality of the search (by arguing they didn't even have RS).  By giving them consent to search you deny yourself the availability of that argument as an option.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: October 03, 2011, 04:47:41 AM »

I was real vex with him for telling them to go ahead.  As for the cameras, they are easily seen from outside and he told me the acess panel for them was in plain view inside the house so they just opened it and switched them off.  It is also not much of a stretch to think that they knew beforehand that the cameras were present.  It was real unnervving to watch real, real unnervving. 

The next unnervving thing is that they now concerned about when next they would be "visited" because these neighbours apparently wont rest until my cousin is carted away in handcuffs.....*sigh*  :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:49:38 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 03, 2011, 08:02:11 AM »

explain in detail how this current SOE in your opinion resembles apartheid in south africa?

Try using your brain Controversial, I am not going to do your homework for you!
I am sure you can work it out, well at least I am hoping you can! 8)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1035 on: October 03, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »

i am using my brain, the question is are you? ???

another question for you would be why are you afraid to say your true opinion on this subject.

i am asking a simple question, what part of this current govt exercise is similar/resembles apartheid?

i don't agree with your statement because i actually am well versed in the nation's politics, actually politics as a whole, so i am curious as to why this is apartheid? i want to hear in your own words since you have been so vocal about this SOE.

did all my homework and did my own reading and research Because I do not agree with that statement even in the slightest
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:23:39 PM by Controversial »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: October 03, 2011, 12:34:24 PM »

You have time to be back and forth with he. Remember he from round de bridge East Dry River area.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1037 on: October 03, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »

You have time to be back and forth with he. Remember he from round de bridge East Dry River area.

since you know where half of my family is from, explain to me how this is similar to apartheid?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 03, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »

No I don't have the time which is why I've ignored him!
He seems to have the illusion that I actually read all his posts or take him seriously! 8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:03:18 PM by Socapro »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1039 on: October 03, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »

He seems to have the illusion that I actually read all his posts or take him seriously! 8)

what a liar, the reason why you are not explaining your position is because it is biased and a farce.

you are afraid to say your true opinion, thats why you have ignored the question

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: October 03, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »

what a liar, the reason why you are not explaining your position is because it is biased and a farce.

you are afraid to say your true opinion, thats why you have ignored the question

:rotfl:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1041 on: October 03, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »

the only joke is your accusation of apartheid  :D

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: October 03, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
Spoke to my mom yesterday, in her words.  "The atmosphere in the country is better."  This comes from a 60 year old woman's perspective who has to be traveling up and down by herself.  Mind you, she's not remotely interested in the next fete, parang or Carnival but she does live alone and lost a son to crime. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: October 03, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
"The atmosphere in the country is better." 

it does feel alot calmer especially at night, but it still have a few imps out there intent on causing trouble.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: October 03, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »

the only joke is your accusation of apartheid  :D

Show me where in this quote I'm saying that there is apartheid in T&T?!

That apartheid in T&T argument is totally yours!
Don't forget that I completely ignored you and you quickly came to your own crazy conclusion just as you always do!

You really have voices in your head telling you all sorts of things and I don't really have the time or medical expertise to help you! Sorry but you obviously need to see a qualified shrink!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:14:05 PM by Socapro »

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: October 03, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »

it does feel alot calmer especially at night, but it still have a few imps out there intent on causing trouble.

Which I guess there always will be. 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: October 03, 2011, 10:02:52 PM »

Which I guess there always will be. 
We used to be the land of the humming bird, coockrecko, steelband and limbo, but nowadays weez de land of the imps, impsey and impish!  :pissedoff:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:04:48 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: October 03, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
Spoke to my mom yesterday, in her words.  "The atmosphere in the country is better."  This comes from a 60 year old woman's perspective who has to be traveling up and down by herself.  Mind you, she's not remotely interested in the next fete, parang or Carnival but she does live alone and lost a son to crime. 

Glad moms happy I pray dat her joy will not b short because come Dec 5th when dis nonesense is over we will really know bout d atmosphere.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: October 03, 2011, 10:47:11 PM »
We should be aware of a false sense of security. I hear people like Preacher saying things are calmer, and I agree, they are. The question is....why?

People are not hanging around so much in the evenings, but tend to want to get home. This has two effects: 1) We're not outside so we don't really know what its like after 11pm on the streets. 2)As there aren't as many potential victims, bandits are experiencing slim pickings.

Also, its harder for gangs to find rival gangs to shoot up at the moment.

This curfew, much like prison, doesn't cure bandits of the desire to commit crime, it just removes their opportunity. Come December there will be lots of bandits looking to do their xmas shopping and as they have been unable to steal for 3 months, they're gonna be desperate.

There has been no soloution to the crime problem. Locking people up doesn't prevent crime long term, it just denies opportunities.

Yes, it may be safer for many people at the moment. But many people and businesses are being denied the right to live their lives how they want. If we could emerge from the SOE in a new utopia where crime levels remain low, I would unconditionally support the SOE. But the reality is that this is not a soloution, its a postponement.

One of the worrying side effects is that people are now very used to living under a curfew and once we return to normal, it could be a shock to the system.

And we still don't know the reason for the SOE. Govt talk about preventing a situation that would make 1990 look like a tea party, but we still don't know what is was and we still haven't seen any post SOE plans to combat crime.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 03, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »

Glad moms happy I pray dat her joy will not b short because come Dec 5th when dis nonsense is over we will really know bout d atmosphere.

She didn't seem to concerned about Dec.5th.  I guess considering her life she's learned to be thankful for the now.  And as I've heard from other people they appreciate the atmosphere as it is right now.  Look, like many mothers in Trinidad, I've seen this woman endure much hardship over the years.  However, I've never seen her become vindictive or scandalous.  Yeah she believes in God but the lesson to me is this....You can't always control what comes to you in life, whether it be natural disaster or wicked men.  But what you can control is your response.  Come Dec.5th I guess the whole country would have a choice to respond to whatever is next...good, bad or indifferent.   We can use the soap box to stand up on or use the soap for cleansing.  I would suggest everyone starts by washing their own hands. 

1]; } ?>