April 23, 2024, 04:34:25 PM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 161798 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #1081 on: October 05, 2011, 04:25:39 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FjF2TfiEyhw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FjF2TfiEyhw</a>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:30:09 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 05, 2011, 05:52:10 PM »
@ Weary, did you hear the entire interview or just the newsclips??  Cuz when he first came on the air he did sound like he was singing for his supper but then went on to discuss both sides of the coin.  The newsclips leave out the back and forth discussion that was taking place.  Note however, he called in after the morning poll which was to vote on if people had to assign blame for the bungling over the arrest and subsequent release of these "gang members" who would it be.  The choices were
Cowboy X, Gibbs and Sandy.  Cowboy X won by a mile.......so yeah when he first started to talk about not blaming the AG and Sandy it sounded like singing for his supper.......

Also, Israel Khan does come across like a loose cannon at times so it would be good to get a second opinion so to speak.  Ah better go and check Dana..... ;D

@ Bakes, when he said that the state could not be sued I was thinking that somehow that couldn't be right but then he stressed that because of the SOE some one could be picked up and detained but once they are not prosecuted then they have no basis for a lawsuit.  However, I think I'm following your argument but bear with me.

The "gang members" were picked up under the AGL.  But this was based on information before Aug 15th.  So its not that there isn't evidence or suspicions, its just that it can't be used to prosecute for offences committed in retroactively.  Does that make a difference?? 
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 05, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
Marijuana eradication exercises in Biche nets weapons
Wednesday 5th October, 2011

Officials have destroyed millions of dollars worth of marijuana in two eradication exercises in the Biche forest

Trinidad and Tobago Police Service Public Information Officer, ASP Joanne Archie, confirmed that both exercises were conducted by officers of the Eastern Division Task Force and Organised Crime, Narcotics and Firearms Bureau on Tuesday and Monday.

On Tuesday, officers of the EDTF, OCNFB and Defence Force went to the Biche Charuma Forest and found two camps. They found two 12-gauge shotguns, 12 rounds of 12-gauge cartridges, 1 spent cartridge and a crossbow.

"Also, 152,000 fully grown marijuana trees, 3,000 seedlings, 6 kilogrammes marijuana seeds, and 30 kilogrammes of cured marijuana with an approximate street value of $152,300,000 was destroyed. No one was arrested. Investigations are continuing."

ASP Archie said on Monday, 45,000 fully grown marijuana trees and 22.7 kilogrammes of cured marijuana were destroyed at the Biche Forest. The street value of Monday's marijuana find was $4.5 million.

http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=32768&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I waiting to hear about when they find and destroy the coca plants growing in the cool, elevated climes of the Northern range.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 05, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
@ Bakes, when he said that the state could not be sued I was thinking that somehow that couldn't be right but then he stressed that because of the SOE some one could be picked up and detained but once they are not prosecuted then they have no basis for a lawsuit.  However, I think I'm following your argument but bear with me.

The "gang members" were picked up under the AGL.  But this was based on information before Aug 15th.  So its not that there isn't evidence or suspicions, its just that it can't be used to prosecute for offences committed in retroactively.  Does that make a difference?? 

Well I doh practice in Trinidad, so far be it for me to question a local criminal attorney... and a "Senior Counsel" at that, but the SOE doesn't give police blanket authority to "pick up" or "detain" people vaille-qui-vaille.  From what I read, there still has to be reasonable suspicion that the person is engaged in criminal activity in order to arrest/detain them. Prosecution is a whole 'nother matter entirely. Your rights can be violated even if you're not prosecuted.  If the detention is "reasonable" then I would agree that they can't sue... or more accurately, they could sue, but likely won't succeed.  However, it is madness to suggest that police can detain you for a month and as long as they don't prosecute you that you'd have no redress.

As for the AGL, yes... they can't prosecute you based on information that they had before the law went into effect.  But... it depends on the kind of information. With the gang members caught on film... they can't be prosecuted based on that evidence, because at the time the evidence was gathered, what they were doing was not illegal.  In other words what on the film doesn't show activity that was at the time illegal.  However, if the information that they gather leads to an investigation today... like somebody gives them a tip or they see or hear something today, they can use that going forward.

However, all that aside, what seems to be at issue here is police using 'reasonable suspicion' to arrest purported gang members under the AGL... but the AGL, like all other 'regular' laws, and unlike the SoE, requires a higher standard, it requires probably cause... which is more certain evidence than "I reasonably suspect that fella is a criminal"... it's more like "I have very good reason based on specific information (and not just a suspicion) that that fella in all likelihood is a criminal." If they wanted to use the lower standard of the SoE, they needed to arrest them under the SoE... or put another way, for violating an SoE provision.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 05, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
Your rights can be violated even if you're not prosecuted.
Agreed.

If the detention is "reasonable" then I would agree that they can't sue...   or more accurately, they could sue, but likely won't succeed.

He did say that, they could sue but would probably not succeed but again not for what you described but for what I stated earlier.  In fact, when asked how come the lawyers for the freed men saying they going to sue, the man say "are these attorneys of any note??"  In other words is ah setta pip squeak attorneys that talking, dem eh know one arse.....and he said it in that loose cannon kind of way he have..... ::)

I wish you could have heard the discussion because with your legal mind you may pick up on something I didn't.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:13 PM »
Your rights can be violated even if you're not prosecuted.
Agreed.

If the detention is "reasonable" then I would agree that they can't sue...   or more accurately, they could sue, but likely won't succeed.

He did say that, they could sue but would probably not succeed but again not for what you described but for what I stated earlier.  In fact, when asked how come the lawyers for the freed men saying they going to sue, the man say "are these attorneys of any note??"  In other words is ah setta pip squeak attorneys that talking, dem eh know one arse.....and he said it in that loose cannon kind of way he have..... ::)

I wish you could have heard the discussion because with your legal mind you may pick up on something I didn't.....

Well, speaking as a wanna-be, pretend pipsqueak attorney mihself... I guess de ress ah we just ent bright as he.  My pipsqueak mind telling mih that what he saying eh making no sense... but ah guess time will tell.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 05, 2011, 11:06:49 PM »
I just came across this and thought I'd share it.   

Ghandi's 7 Dangers to Human Virtues

1. Wealth without work
2. Pleasure without Conscience
3. Knowledge without Character
4. Business without Ethics
5. Science without Humanity
6. Religion without Sacrifice
7. Politics without Principle

In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: October 06, 2011, 10:08:24 AM »
allyuh dutty babbylon destroying my weed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 06, 2011, 11:17:27 AM »
D WC footballer from d Beetham was freed 2day. NOT ENUFF EVIDENCE. Where have I heard dat b4?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: October 06, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »

1. Wealth without work

The 2011 Trini version:

1. Wealth without accountability
2. Pleasure without nite clubs
3. Knowledge without ability
4. Business without profits
5. Science without Hospitals
6. Religion without morals
7. Politics without human rights

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 06, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
SOE Discussion going on right now on C-TV!

Go here if you wish to view/listen in: http://www.ctntworld.com/livestream
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 06, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »

1. Wealth without work

The 2011 Trini version:

;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 07, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »
Marijuana eradication exercises continue
Friday 7th October, 2011

Officers have destroyed $115 million worth of marijuana in an eradication exercises in the Biche Charuma forest.

According to Ms Sharon Lee Assang of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service, the exercise was conducted by officers of the Eastern Division Task Force, the Defence Force, and Organised Crime, Narcotics and Firearms Bureau on Thursday, between the hours of 11:30am and 3:30pm.

She said, "They destroyed 6 marijuana fields comprising 115,000 marijuana trees, 300 seedlings, one camp and 80 kilogrammes of cured marijuana, all totaling $115 million."

Another marijuana eradication exercise took place between the hours of 5:30am and 2pm on Thursday at Paramin.

Officers, led by Inspector Dan and members of the Western Division Tactical Unit, went to Saut d'Eau Hill where they destroyed 35,000 young marijuana plants and a camp. No arrests were made.

http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=32866
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 07, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCwfA3LZr4I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCwfA3LZr4I</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: October 07, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCwfA3LZr4I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCwfA3LZr4I</a>

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 07, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »

The 2011 Trini version:

that about sums it up
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 08, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
Somebody clean out de weed real fast.

But SOMEBODY letting de cocaine pass.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 08, 2011, 08:36:01 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 08, 2011, 08:41:03 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #1100 on: October 08, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar is attempting to shift responsibility for the state of emergency from the political directorate to the security forces, Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley charged yesterday.
Speaking at a news conference, at the Opposition Leader's office, Charles Street, Port of Spain, Rowley said, "In the face of the embarrassing out-turn of the emergency developments which respect to the releasing of persons who were detained for lack of evidence, Government, which drove this process, was now seeking to distance itself from the fiasco and put the blame for the state of emergency unto the police."
Persad-Bissessar stated on Thursday that the Cabinet had accepted the recommendation of the security forces that the state of emergency and curfew remain because they (law enforcement) needed more time since the state of emergency was a valuable tool in the arsenal in the fight against crime.
Rowley said the history would show that it was the political directorate in the absence of the Commissioner of Police (Dwayne Gibbs) from the country, which declared the state of emergency, driven by the Prime Minister and Minister of National Security.
The Commissioner heard about the state of emergency from Brazil, having been granted permission to go there two days before the state of emergency was announced, Rowley said.
Now, claimed Rowley, the "political initiative is going sour" and the Prime Minister was seeking to shift the ground for the state of emergency and its outcome from the political directorate to the police.
Noting that the "big justification" for the state of emergency was to enhance the State's ability to deal with gang-related crime, Rowley said from the time the court started throwing out the gang-related cases, the police stopped picking up people under the Anti-Gang Act.
Rowley added: "In the first two weeks of the state of emergency, (Attorney General Anand) Ramlogan and (National Security Minister Brig John) Sandy were in our faces every day (in the media). When the matters came to the court and the court intervened against the abuse of the law ... both Ramlogan and Sandy stopping appearing in the media. We will not allow them to drop this in the lap of the police. It was a political choice and those who made that choice must stand by the outcome and take responsibility. The same way they were taking credit for it in the beginning, they must take credit for the final out-turn."
Rowley slammed the Attorney General "for threatening people" who seek to take legal action if they believe that they have been wrongfully arrested, malicious prosecution or false imprisonment.
"The Attorney General whose duty it is to protect citizens' rights is saying to you if you attempt to prosecute a case for false imprisonment, he would fight you in the court to prevent you getting justice. ... And he is interpreting any objection to this as a defence of criminals and that anyone who objects to his recklessness is supporting the hero-worshipping of criminal. We reject that," the Opposition Leader said.
On Ramlogan's statement that these persons should not expect a big payout, Rowley said: "That is not for him to decide. That is for the independent judiciary. The outcome of any lawsuit and the quantum of any compensation is not a matter for the Attorney General. Is it that it is only when he is in private practice that you could challenge the State and get money? Once again he is overstepping his bounds."
Rowley said the People National Movement (PNM) was affected by the state of emergency which prevents assembly of persons.
He said he had instructed the party's General Secretary, Ashton Ford, to write to the Commissioner of Police for permission to hold a public meeting at Piggot's Corner, in Belmont on the Friday after the presentation of the 2012-2013 Budget, which is something the PNM has traditionally done.
Noting that the unions were denied permission to march in Tobago, Rowley said a member of the coalition government (the Tobago Organisation of the People) was given permission.
"So let us hear what the CoP has to say," he said.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Rowley__PM_trying_to_put_SoE_responsibility_on_the_police-131374138.html

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 08, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
Most sensible thing Rowley has said...and it sure seems so.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »
Most sensible thing Rowley has said...and it sure seems so.

Of course dey throw d police under d bus.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 09, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
UN figures contradicting Govt claim
Govt: Rise in murders due to decline in drug trafficking
By Kevin Baldeosingh

Story Created: Oct 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM ECT

Story Updated: Oct 8, 2011 at 11:44 PM ECT

A decline in drug trafficking has caused the murder rate to increase in Trinidad and Tobago, according to a recent report from the United Nations.

This was one of the reasons given by the Government for instituting the State of Emergency. But the report's own statistics for drug seizures appear to contradict this claim.

In announcing the State of Emergency on August 21, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar stated: "I am advised that one of the causations for the spike in murders is ironically linked to the success by the police in the discovery of large drug hauls, with values in excess of twenty million dollars in just one raid."

The Prime Minister was referring to a cocaine haul, with an estimated street value of $22 million, made at Piarco International Airport on August 16.

She added, "These large sums of money simply do not disappear from the drug trade without consequences, and in some of the cases now occurring, this is the result."

In Parliament, on September 2, moving a motion to extend the State of Emergency, National Security Minister John Sandy noted that, "The country has been witnessing within recent times the tragedy of multiple murders and an upsurge in gang-related violence. Over the space of 76 hours there were 11 murders..."

Between 1999 and 2008, there was a steady increase in murders in T&T. The UN's Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Global Study on Homicide 2011 reports, "...while drug trafficking flows were diminishing, as indicated by declining quantities of drug seizures, homicide rates increased in ten out of 11 Caribbean countries for which data are available. Part of the reason for this increase in lethal violence can be traced to increased competition between drug trafficking organisations fighting for their share of a diminished market."

The report notes that drug trafficking in the region has dropped steadily over the past 15 years.

"Between 1997 and 2009, drug seizures in the Caribbean decreased by 71 per cent," says the report. In 1997, 30 per cent of the cocaine bound for the United States passed through the Caribbean; by 2009, this had been reduced to just ten per cent. Now, most of the cocaine passes through Central American countries, and those nations have seen their homicide rates spike.

"In the last five years, homicide rates have increased in five out of eight countries in Central America, with some countries seeing their rate more than double in the same period," says the UNODC report.

"These trends are largely attributable to fluctuations in cocaine trafficking in Central America, which can lead to criminal conflicts as a result of both increases and decreases in drug flows, with the latter particularly resulting in increased competition between drug trafficking groups."

However, if the UNODC is claiming that both increases and decreases in drug trafficking lead to more murders, this means its analysts are unable to prove the cause and effect that they posit.

And the report's own statistics for T&T show no clear link in either scenario.

For example, drug seizures in this country spiked in 2001 and 2005. But there was no spike in murders in 2001 or 2002, just a steady upward climb.

And, while there was jump in homicides in 2005, this dropped in 2006. On the other side of the coin, drug seizures dropped drastically in 2007, but the next murder spike occurred in 2008.

Table 1, below, shows that neither drug seizures nor local drug-related offences correlate, either negatively or positively, with the number of murders.

If the UNODC's claims were correct, then there should have been spikes either when drug seizures increased or decreased. This is not the case.

And if the Government's claims were accurate, gang-related murders should have risen every year there were large drug seizures.

In 2005, 1.75 tonnes of pure cocaine, with an estimated street value of over $700 million, were seized from a house on Monos Island.

That year did see an increase in murders, but only ten of the 386 were classified as drug-related and 81 as gang-related. In 2006, 77 of the 391 murders were drug-related. By contrast, gang-related murders spiked in 2007 and 2008—the same years when drug seizures dropped, and when 44 and 35 murders, respectively, were drug-related.

Since August 21, when the State of Emergency was declared, 745 persons have been arrested for drug offences, and an estimated $750 million worth of drug seized.

However, this sum is almost entirely accounted for by marijuana rather than the cocaine which is transshipped through Trinidad from South America.

And not one person among the 745 arrested has been charged in relation to these large shipments.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 09, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
The problem with statistics is that they can be massaged to suit the person (or organistation) issuing them.

For example, I can categorically state that while 70% or statistics are accurate, a further 42% are inaccurate.

And, actually, the above joke has some truth. For instance, say 3 men are arrested for murdering a drug dealer who they have a personal vendetta against. They are not charged with any drug offences, therefore they may not be recorded as drug homocides. What if an informant is murdered by a drug gang? Is that recorded as drug related? On the other hand, a man and his family may be murdered and drugs stolen. Are the innocent family victims of drug crime?

Another issue with these figures is that perhaps the police just didn't catch many drug dealers in some years. Or maybe there was widespread corruption that encouraged the police to look the other way? Maybe they knew the deals were going down, but there was not enough evidence to go to trial, or even obtain a search warrant? 

You can only report what you know. These figures could be way off. But I think the general rule is that drug dealing relates to murder. If there are lots of murders, you have to look for the reason, and its usually gang related, which means either drugs or prostitution.

The failure of the police in T&T is not to apprehend the murderers, but not to tackle the root source - drugs. Whichever political party is in charge, they have to declare a permanent war on drugs. That means massive public awareness of the dangers of drugs, drug rehabilitation programmes, random testing in key industries, undercover insertions into drug gangs, increase in border patrols, better technology to detect drugs in transit etc.

Govts obviously see the spending of huge resources on anti drug programmes as unimportant. Instead, look at the cost we're all paying now. In my view, part of the post SOE crime plan should include the following:

Setting up of a special undercover drug squad led by a "drug czar" from somewhere like Colombia, USA, even Russia. Personnel would be recruited from overseas and based in a secure unit so there would be no chance of corruption. The unit would be shrouded in secrecy much like the British SAS regiment. Intelligence would be obtained by undercover agents and comprehensive surveillance teams.

Basically, given time and resources, infiltrating and smashing a drug ring is reletively simple. You observe the street dealers and follow the trail. Eventually a dealer meets a boss. The boss meets a a drug baron. The drug baron communicates with the financer. Simple.

The drug czar would also be responsible for user detection and rehabilitation. By embarking on zero tolerance, users would be arrested after doing their deal. (You don't arrest the dealer, as you want to follow him). Once the buyer has left the scene, a snatch squad picks him up. Using increased tariffs for users, the buyer has two choices.... prison or rehabilitation. The rehab would allow the user to continue his career under supervision using tags and random drug testing.

This would be coupled with a massive anti drug school campaign, educating kids on the realities of drug abuse. Every school would have an appointed drug councillor and Universities would have their own anti drug police with regular sniffer dog patrols.  Once the buyers dry up, the market is less appealing and drug offences would reduce.

This would all be expensive, but the money saved by the reduction in crimes such as murder, street robberies and even medical care would make it more cost effective.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 10, 2011, 05:38:13 AM »
Are UWI students paid to post pro-Govt comments?
'Campus Chronicle' investigates...

Trinidad Express
By Faine Richards faine@mycampuschronicle.com
Story Created: Oct 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM ECT
Story Updated: Oct 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM ECT

An organisation purporting to work for the People's Partnership is allegedly paying university students to inundate newspaper websites and Internet chat forums with pro-government sentiment.

A Campus Chronicle investigation found that the organisation—known only as 'tntgoodblogs'—hires students to post reader comments below news stories on the Trinidad Express, Trinidad Guardian and Newsday websites in praise of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and her government.

University students recruited for the covert propaganda campaign who spoke to the Campus Chronicle on condition of anonymity, said students are also paid to author comments or 'blogs' that attack the Opposition and counter anti-government opinions expressed by other bloggers.

In addition to receiving monetary payment, student bloggers are also promised a free BlackBerry with unlimited Internet access to allow them to frequently post comments online during classes.

Minister of Foreign Affairs and Communications, Dr Suruj Rambachan, told the Campus Chronicle he was unaware that any such operation exists.

The "bloggers project" targets students at the University of the West Indies (UWI) through a series of flyers posted on notice boards across the St Augustine campus.

The flyers invite resumes from students who are "intelligent, patriotic and enjoy sharing (their) views" and who seek to "have a sense of power associated with the changing of minds (Paradigm Shift)".

"I expected being able to talk about my own opinions on current affairs, that was my first impression of it," said a female UWI student who applied for the project. "But it was totally different.

"Instead of what the flyer said about you giving your opinion, it was pretty much that they would tell you what to say," she revealed.

Neither the name of the employer nor contact information for anyone overseeing the project is disclosed on the flyer. Interested students are simply told to send an email to tntgoodblogs@hotmail.com.
In response, applicants receive a phone call from a woman who only identifies herself as Marsha.
A female UWI student said Marsha told her, "We're going to sway the ideas of the public by speaking positively about what's going on."

That objective was reiterated in detailed email instructions specifying the frequency and content of the blogs students would be paid to post online.

In addition to blogging on all three newspaper websites, the email correspondence obtained by the Campus Chronicle directed students to write in support of the People's Partnership on certain Yahoo chat groups. Two of the more popular Yahoo groups targeted by the blogging operation are 'theunitedvoice' and 'Caribbean Talk'. Both forums are devoted to discussions on politics, news and current affairs.

In one of the documents attached to the email, an unnamed author explained, "Organisations contract 'tntgoodblogs' to promote their image products. We are compensated when we provide intelligent, positive and persuasive blogs for the contracted organisations."

But three UWI students who applied for the job told the Campus Chronicle that Marsha was more explicit during telephone conversations.

"She stated the People's Partnership had hired them," one girl recalled.

When contacted by the Campus Chronicle about the bloggers project, Minister Rambachan said, "I really don't know anything about this, you're the first to bring this to my attention. I have to investigate it and see if I can get to the bottom of it."

Asked whether he was concerned that tntgoodblogs claims to be doing work for the People's Partnership, Minister Rambachan said, "There's nothing to say until I investigate it."

In an email dated July 26 and sent to a batch of ten students who applied to the bloggers project, the anonymous author directed bloggers to flood newspaper websites and chat groups with support for the resignation of then Minister of Works and Transport and FIFA Vice President Jack Warner, from the international football body.

But the students were also mandated to cast doubt on whether Minister Warner should retain his Cabinet post.

"QUERY HIS CURRENT POLITICAL STANDING," the email urged student recruits. "QUESTION HIS REMAINING IN POLITICS. (GO ANTI PEOPLE'S PARTY FOR HIM. Jack is yet to clarify the issues to the people.) His integrity is questionable, especially as the person who has much access to our resources.
"Call me for clarification if needed," the email's author added.

The students who spoke to the Campus Chronicle said that directive triggered concerns which ultimately led to their decision not to work for the bloggers project.

One student recalled, "I sat and thought about it and said, 'I don't know if I want to get involved in this.' So I decided not to, it sounded scary."

"From that point, I was like, 'something in this not right,'" said another student.

The email also instructed students to blog in favour of Minister of Health Dr Fuad Khan deciding to cease his private medical practice.

Amid concerns about a conflict of interest after it was discovered that the Minister continued to see patients while managing the nation's health system, the paid bloggers were ordered to focus attention on Minister Khan's choice to give up his private urology practice instead of his Cabinet post.

"He was called to serve in the Cabinet at short notice and accepted the call because of the crisis that exists within the health sector," the email guided students to write of the Health Minister.
Instructions in a subsequent email said, "So we should applaud him for choosing country over a self...a couple hundred sick who are in need."

Tntgoodblogs recommended that students use facts and quotations to substantiate their arguments. "Doesn't this sound like the approach for a University assignment?" the email's author remarked.
The Opposition is deliberately targeted by the bloggers project, with students being instructed to dispute statements made by other bloggers who support the People's National Movement.

"I AM GIVING YOU THE CHANCE TO BATTLE HEAD ON WITH THE OPPOSITION BLOGGERS!" an email from tntgoodblogs dated August 2 told student bloggers. "YES, YOU CHOOSE OPPOSITION BLOGGERS AND TARGET THEIR BLOGS AND HIT THEM ONE FOR ONE. NO MERCY. START ARGUMENTS, BE BOLD AND STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN!!!"

One of the students who withdrew from the propaganda campaign said she had concerns about trying to obstruct the free expression of opinion.

"If you look at some of the counter blogs (that paid student bloggers post), they are really insulting to people," she told the Campus Chronicle. "For you to dissuade me from giving my opinion because you are supporting it and getting paid for it, it's not fair.

"I just think it's wrong, immoral. It's just unethical," she said.

Students who submitted neutral blogs were chastised by Marsha.

"She said if I had an issue before I could have come out and tell her but then in the same breath she contradicted herself," one student recalled, "and said how I am a rookie and I am on (a one-week) trial and I don't have a say… she gives me something to write, I have to write on it."

The underground blogging operation strictly prohibits its student bloggers from using their real names. Instead, bloggers are required to present the orchestrated comments under the guise of multiple aliases or screen names.

To create a significant pro-government presence on newspaper websites and chat forums, every student blogger is required to submit a minimum of five comments daily.

Should student bloggers pass a one-week trial period, the anonymous author of the email promised to give them "a free BlackBerry and free Internet access" to help them blog throughout the day from any location.
A female UWI student recalled discussing payment with Marsha over the phone.

"The first week would be $300, if she kept us on, and we were getting a BlackBerry with unlimited Internet and she said she ran the numbers…and I would make $3000- $4000 a month."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #1106 on: October 10, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
Last week I managed to see the end of a CNMG newscast in which they conducted a poll with the question "Do you support the idea of the National Consultation on housing and land use ?" I shook my head. What kind of non-question is that ?The 'poll' results showed 98% support for the consultation as if this was ever some kind of controversial issue or something.There were text messages as well that read "That's democracy, bring it on !" and " I definitely support this idea" They deliberately chose a question and worded it to show support for the Government. The firing of Fazeer Mohammed , complaints to the board abourt interference with news items and the resignations of of key personnel at CNMG is testament to the propaganda campaign that is taking place. You can't watch the news without seeing that snake Andy Johnson for a Government Information Services Limited (GISL) feature.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 10, 2011, 07:39:50 AM »
Very dangerous & bias political stuff going on in the T&T media!

I believe this sort of paid political blogging started before the last T&T elections and was a major factor in helping to sway public opinion.

And of course most PP government ministers would deny knowledge of such things happening as it is secretely going on and helping to sway opinions to their political advantage!

Don’t be surprised if we have a couple of paid political bloggers who also post regularly on this SW.net site.
The sudden appearance of certain fellas like Jack Horner who go out of their way to defend Jack with so much zeal points to that. Mr Horner is relatively new here and has no idea that 90% of posters here are fully clued up on Jack and the damage he has done to our football.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:44:42 AM by Socapro »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 10, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »
Wow!!  :o

Jah Gol, how much de PP paying yuh boy?? lol

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 10, 2011, 08:07:16 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/10/10/moving-after-soe-nightmare

He looks down and his mellow voice drops when he speaks about his six weeks behind bars. But as soon as Keon Quow picks up a football, the connection to what has been the source of his comfort and stability in recent years lifts his sprit. And he smiles, a broad gap-toothed grin. Last Friday, as the sun set on Beetham Gardens, Quow, savouring his second day of freedom after failed “gang” charges, was in his natural element—outside training neighbourhood youngsters playing football. Vehicles beeped as they passed Quow that evening. Passers-by looked his way and smiled. A woman driving by hailed out: “I so glad to see you, m’boy!”

The day before, Quow and seven other Beetham residents had become the latest statistics attesting to the failure of the Anti-Gang legislation wielded in the Government’s state of emergency (SoE). Quow, 22, a striker with the local Pro-League team W Connection, walked out of Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court with his two cousins, also accused of being in a “gang.” Back home, Quow immediately cut his hair which had grown out and hours after being freed, returned to football training and a huge reception from his teammates. He was on the field up to last Saturday. Neither police officers nor Quow might have applied the word “irony” to the situation which arose during the first week of the state of emergency when he was taken away from Beetham. Quow, formerly with the National Under-20 football team, had played for the Police Football Club last Pro-League season.

An orphan, Quow has lived with his two brothers and sister in Beetham all his life and is now the family breadwinner. As a boy, unusual skills on the football field rather than usual secondary schooling gave him the direction he needed. Quow was in coaching school by the age of 15. Later, came a stint with the Fire Services football club, then the Police Club where he was based for two years before being spotted by W Connection. With his first contract, Quow opened a bank account, moved out of his then residence and found a place for his siblings and himself. Quow had been asleep after practice, when police knocked on his door around 1 am on the fateful August night.

He recalled: “They pulled me out, my brother Kevin and my cousins. They didn’t tell us anything. I kept asking if I could still go to training next day because my tournament was coming up.” He added: “I really beg. I beg, I beg them to let me go because I train so hard for the season and a big match was coming up.” “Nobody against the police for their work, but I have no record. I thought they would have checked it out properly. But the day after they held us, a man bring a book and started charging everybody. Then they sent us Golden Grove.”

Five to a cell. No information.
“Even the turnkeys couldn’t understand what was happening. They tried to deal with us as best as possible,” Quow added. Deprived of daily training and confined to the small cell, Quow became depressed. He didn’t do push-ups for fear of contracting a rash from the cell floor. He lost weight. “I cried. I real cried for days. It was real painful in there. Real pain, real pain. I never know I’d reach there,” Quow mused, head bent. “I missed training. I was frustrated as I was really prepared for the season. I was trying hard to reach the Under-23 National team and the big game against Rangers for the Pro League opening was the following week.

“And I was frightened. We heard they could hold you for 120 days. I prayed a lot. They give us Bibles to read. That used to calm me down. “They give us little puzzle books too. Being locked down 24/7, it was real hard in there, like you going mad—like a bad, bad dream,” he said. His brother and others helped buoy his spirits. Quow also busied himself looking forward to rejoining his team. The day of the Rangers’ game, his thoughts were with teammates all day, he said. “I kept asking the turnkeys if they win. I say if they win, they’d give me victory to come out too and things start to shape up after they win in truth.”

When Quow arrived home last Thursday, residents bombarded him with hugs, kisses and tears. “Because they know I’m not the type of person to be in gangs. And I’ll never be,” Quow said. That was the only time in the interview his voice turned firm. Quow continued, “No matter what they do, I’ll never be. Or who they feel I am because of where I’m living. That doesn’t mean that sort of thing have to get in me.” He said: “I want to be a professional footballer. I wanted to make it to Concacaf. But if I went overseas and they check and see this situation—what will happen? This could destroy people.” “I just want to live in peace and not be harassed or wrongfully arrested. They look at us in Beetham and try to bring us down to a low level but there are good people here,” Quow said.

Quow’s attorney Pennelope Beckles said: “What happened is very unfortunate. I’ve no doubt Quow is innocent. He has no convictions or pending matters—he’s simply a victim of where he lives.” “He earned a decent living. He could have left Beetham. But he stays because he’s a positive inspiration for youths.” Beckles added: “I hope this doesn’t affect his career and that those looking to crime or are in it, see how badly others who aren’t, can be hurt.” Whether Quow becomes a Beetham success story or whether his SoE experience will foil his football career, is in fate’s hands. For his part, it also resides in his feet. Quow added, “Despite all this, I keep a positive vibe. I just hope nobody link me with this or hold me again. I’m hoping for the best and to do what I do best.”
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>