April 29, 2024, 11:39:06 AM

Author Topic: Limited State of Emergency....  (Read 162755 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Limited State of Emergency....
« Reply #1200 on: November 07, 2011, 06:41:07 AM »
I don't think the entire thing was a failure. I believe Gibbs when they say they received intelligence from the detainees. I can't believe that those fellas wouldn't have been interrogated by the police. What that intelligence translates into is another matter. The number of releases are very discouraging.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 07, 2011, 08:40:03 AM »
So I was busy as a bee last 2 wks. Somebody tell me dat Kamla say dat d police ask 4 d SOE and after 2day I can strt 2 eat JAPS as Kamla Foolish Curfew comes to an end. 
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 07, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
So I was busy as a bee last 2 wks. Somebody tell me dat Kamla say dat d police ask 4 d SOE and after 2day I can strt 2 eat JAPS as Kamla Foolish Curfew comes to an end. 

SOE done? 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 07, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
if that is true then let's see if they will do what it takes to get d police to do dey job properly, it goh take balls and it goh have police fightin tooth and nail to maintain d status quo
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 07, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »
The National Security Council is meeting as we speak and a Press Conference will be held at 5 pm most likely to address the SOE and its dotish pardna the curfew.

My feeling is the curfew would be lifted because they have to bow to the wishes of the business community but the SOE will be kept in place......but we'll see at 5.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 07, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gz0V0-iHcxQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gz0V0-iHcxQ</a>
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 07, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gz0V0-iHcxQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gz0V0-iHcxQ</a>

So curfew done??

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: November 07, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
With immediate effect.
The State of Emergency remains and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: November 07, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
With immediate effect.
The State of Emergency remains and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.

So we is Libya now indefinite SOE.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 07, 2011, 04:42:52 PM »
NO CURFEW! - Breaking News
Story Created: Nov 7, 2011 at 6:27 PM ECT
 Story Updated: Nov 7, 2011 at 6:37 PM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/NO-CURFEW---Breaking-News-133393263.html

The 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew has been lifted.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar made the announcement at a press conference, this evening.

But while the Government has “removed the curfew on land and sea with immediate effect”, the State of Emergency remains.

The State of Emergency was declared by the PM on August 21. In an address to the nation on that day, Persad-Bissessar said: “We have the will to tackle the crime problem in Trinidad and Tobago. We have the commitment to place every resource at our disposal towards waging and winning this war on crime. We will succeed. The nation must not be held to ransom by marauding groups of thugs bent on creating havoc on our society. We will hunt them down search them out and we will bring them to justice."

Today, the PM declared the State of Emergency successful in “substantially reducing criminal activity”.

“The statistics tell us that we have achieved success.

"It saved our nation."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 07, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »
Herman Cain could do with some lessons from Jack and Kamla eh...

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: November 07, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
Well, now its time for reflection.

Kamla says the curfew has been a success and gang leaders are running in fear. I'm actually quite worried now because in my mind, its the criminals that have won. No big fish have been caught, 236 gang members have been released without charge. So, whats the message we are sending the criminal fraternity.....we tried our most potent weapon, and yet they're all still free to continue. Yeah, we found some guns, some drugs and some contraband diesel, but the criminal paymasters are still out there, the arrested gang members are celebrities and theres no crime plan to prevent a return to the previous situation. We don't even know what the event that "would have made 1990 look like a tea party" was.

This is a defeat for law and order and the bandits must be celebrating tonite. People need to be ultra alert as the bandits have 3 months of income to replace.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: November 07, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
Removing the curfew and keeping the SOE reminds me of this post I made way back when we were young and innocent.  My theory was so crazy it just cyar work.  But 78 days later, which parties would NOW be most affected by keeping it in place.....hhhhhmmm.......

Thanks eh Kamla girl, I am now kinda free......f&*&%$#ng idiots!!   ::) ::)  :cursing: :bs:

Legal Supplement Part B—Vol. 50, No. 108—21st August, 2011 437
LEGAL NOTICE NO. 163 REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
THE CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO CHAP. 1:01 REGULATIONS
MADE BY THE PRESIDENT UNDER SECTION 7 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
THE EMERGENCY POWERS REGULATIONS, 2011
Prohibition on the holding of public meetings and marches
7. (1) Except with prior permission in writing of the Commissioner of Police, the grant of which shall be in his discretion, no person shall hold or take part in any public march or in any public meeting.
(2) Nothing in this regulation shall apply to any meeting of a class or description referred to in the First Schedule.
(3) Notwithstanding the exception of marches and processions provided for in paragraphs (c) and (d) of the definition of “public march” in regulation 2(1), the Commissioner of Police may prohibit any such march or procession in a public place if, having regard to the time at which and the circumstances in which the march or procession is held or is to be held, he had reasonable grounds for believing that the holding of such march or procession may occasion a breach of the peace or public disorder.
(4) The grant of any permission under this regulation may be subject to such terms and conditions as the Commissioner of Police may think fit for giving effect to these Regulations.

Ah have a theory but its so crazy it cyar work.   In fact, mih theory so crazy that if its true then is crazy people running the place…..all I have to say is folks who happy and excited about this SOE curbing crime....I over the moon for all yuh.....but I really, really, really have my doubts.....

We have another 3 months to go.....let's see......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 07, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
With the Curfew lifted in Trinidad and Tobago .The Bandit Association of Trinidad and Tobago (BATT) would like to thank you all, the citizens of our nation, for your patience during this time of rest and reflection. From tomorrow, we back in allyuh tail! Thanks again.......

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #1214 on: November 07, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »
So we still can't protest and still can't hold public meetings ? Hmm. Thanks Aunty Kamla I going Movie Towne Friday night, Yay.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: November 07, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
So we still can't protest and still can't hold public meetings ? Hmm. Thanks Aunty Kamla I going Movie Towne Friday night, Yay.

:rotfl: ENJOY D MOVIEEEEEE

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 07, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »

Kamla says the curfew has been a success and gang leaders are running in fear. I'm actually quite worried now because in my mind, its the criminals that have won. No big fish have been caught, 236 gang members have been released without charge. So, whats the message we are sending the criminal fraternity.....we tried our most potent weapon, and yet they're all still free to continue. Yeah, we found some guns, some drugs and some contraband diesel, but the criminal paymasters are still out there, the arrested gang members are celebrities and theres no crime plan to prevent a return to the previous situation. We don't even know what the event that "would have made 1990 look like a tea party" was.

This is a defeat for law and order and the bandits must be celebrating tonite. People need to be ultra alert as the bandits have 3 months of income to replace.

You could plant plenty ochro in 3 months...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 07, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
I would like to thank the PP for their outstanding environmental stewardship.

With our increasing population, The catch-and-release program gives police departments an opportunity to catch more another day. It also helps to preserve fish populations that are challenged by numerous outside factors. When females are released they are given another chance to spawn. This is vital to maintaining fish populations because the cycle of life is not interrupted.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: November 08, 2011, 05:39:01 AM »

You could plant plenty ochro in 3 months...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  All yuh real like shyte on this forum yes......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: November 08, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
This...

“The statistics tell us that we have achieved success.

"It saved our nation."

reminds me of this..

That's a really irresponsible statement IMHO  :beermug:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 08, 2011, 03:06:16 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
CURFEW ENDS!
« Reply #1221 on: November 08, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/CURFEW_ENDS_-133412783.html

CURFEW ENDS!
...But State of Emergency stays, says PM

By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Nov 7, 2011 at 11:43 PM ECT

Spontaneous celebration erupted across the nation last night as news spread that the curfew accompanying the State of Emergency had been lifted.

Patrons at a downtown Port of Spain bar danced, waved and shouted as they viewed the live televised announcement made by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Her announcement came one day after she returned from a two-week trip to Australia and a three-hour meeting of the National Security Council, attended by top law enforcement officials.

In her absence there had been mounting calls from the business community for the curfew to be lifted to once again breathe life into the economy crippled by the shutdown of night-life.

Five days ago, then acting Prime Minister Winston Dookeran said the State of Emergency and the curfew would continue because it had "a tremendous impact" on violent crime.

The tension and pent up frustration of the patrons was doused with quick succession of alcohol shots.

With Machel Montano's "Vibes cyar done" playing in the background, at the D'Bocas restaurant, on Independence Square, Port of Spain, patrons shouted in unison "Woi" as the news that the almost two-and-a-half-month-long curfew was no more.

It seemed that no-one cared that the State of Emergency remained in effect.

"We could real drink now," said one of the celebrating patrons who was being shoved about and hugged by a multitude of friends.

"That thing was real stress", said another patron as the now overwhelmed bartender struggled to keep up with the many demands of shots following the Prime Minister's announcement.

A bottle of Goldschlager and Jagermeister quickly left the bar shelf as some drinkers opted not to settle with the regular rum, puncheon or Scotch to celebrate the news.

"Is a Liquid Cocaine we want," said four patrons who had no problem forking out the $40 for the shot.

In her address, at the Office of the Prime Minister, in St Clair, Persad-Bissessar announced yesterday that the 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew, governing 17 crime hotspots across the nation and expanded to three nautical miles of the coastline will be lifted with immediate effect.

However, she said the State of Emergency will continue and be reviewed continuously.

The end of the curfew comes two months and 17 days after the Prime Minister on August 21, announced declaration of a State of Emergency and a 9 p.m, to 5 a.m. curfew in selected "hot spots" will be imposed on the country.

On September 4, the Parliament debated to extend the State of Emergency by three months (which expires on December 5) which was approved with Government's majority and a new 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew was implemented.

Persad-Bissessar said the many calls to end the State of Emergency and curfew "weighed heavily on my mind" and she did not wish to burden anyone one hour longer than necessary.

"I wish to advise that the National Security Council has recommended and the Government has agreed to remove the curfew on land, in Trinidad and Tobago. That means as of tonight the land and maritime curfew imposed on the identified crime hot spots will be lifted," she said.

The Prime Minister also made it clear that Government reserves the right to impose limited curfews where and when necessary as advised by the National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy.

Sandy, Commissioner of Police (CoP) Dwayne Gibbs and Chief of Defence Staff Brig Kenrick Maharaj were also present.

Although the country still remains in the dark as to what was the crisis that triggered the State of Emergency in the first place, the Prime Minister said that a crisis was averted and the primary reasons for the State of Emergency was achieved.

She said a war was waged against the criminals and now they are left trembling.

She paid tribute to the protective services for this saying they took this nation from a "brink of disorder and chaos" and restored law and order.

The Prime Minister said while a complete victory is not in order, the battle has been won to a large extent.

"When gang leaders tremble in fear, we have won. When the crime rate plummets, we have won. When guns and ammunition are removed from the streets that could have killed one more innocent man, woman or child, we have won. When one family can sleep better at night, we have won. When justice prevails, we have won. When illegal drugs are seized and destroyed and their operations shut down, we have won," said Persad-Bissessar.

She added that victory also lies when the business community and citizens can join hands and make the sacrifice required by enduring the State of Emergency and the curfew for the greater good.

She said several years of anti crime efforts had not removed the weaponry, drugs and criminals as this State of Emergency did.

With the State of Emergency still in effect, the joint patrols of army and police will continue.

Persad-Bissessar noted that prior to the State of Emergency there were 6,146 police officers deployed throughout the country. This was increased to 10,316 law enforcement personnel, boosted by members of the Regiment, Air Guard and Coast Guard.

The thousands of law enforcement will therefore continue to guard the nation as the State of Emergency continues.

The Prime Minister said the imposition of the State of Emergency was no easy decision but she stressed that this was a "weapon" that comes from our Constitution.

She also dismissed political commentators and the Opposition who had said from the on set that there was no need for a State of Emergency and the existing laws and security forces could have been used to do the very thing that was done during the State of Emergency.

"This is absolutely wrong and patently mischievous. It is unfortunate that we continue to be saddled by an Opposition which refuses to work with the Government in the national interest and apparently prefers instead to snipe and mislead citizens for narrow partisan reasons, even when the truth is already in the public domain," she said.

The Prime Minister added that 20,000 jobs in low income communities will be generated through an employment creation intervention.

"We started the fight against crime as soon as we entered office. We will continue now and tomorrow to wage war against criminals and the criminal element," said Persad-Bissessar.

—with reporting by Gyasi Gonzales
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:20:15 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SoE STAYS
« Reply #1222 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,150213.html

SoE STAYS
By SEAN DOUGLAS Tuesday, November 8 2011

“THE CURFEW IS OVER on Trinidad and Tobago soil and sea,” said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. “The state of emergency remains, under continuous review.”

With those words, Persad-Bissessar lifted the 11 pm to 4 am curfew, as of last night, from Trinidad and Tobago’s crime hot-spots, but kept the state of emergency (SoE), speaking at a televised news conference at the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM), St Clair.

“I wish to advise that the National Security Council (NSC) has recommended and the Government has agreed to remove the curfew on land and sea in Trinidad and Tobago immediately as I speak,” she said yesterday.

“The state of emergency will stay in effect and this will be reviewed on a continuous basis. So the curfew is lifted both on land and sea, immediately. We will review that as well, from day to day, as we continue to monitor the situation and get our reports from the protective services.”

She said the SoE had let TT avert a crisis in the form of a clear threat to national security and the date on which the SoE was declared, August 21, was a historic date for protecting democracy and freedom in TT. In the early weeks, the curfew was 9 pm to 5 am before it was later revised to 11 pm to 4 am.

“I stand by that decision, as advised by the Minister if National Security, that immediate action had to be taken.”

She said the SoE had been justified by unacceptable levels of crime. Saying the political risks of enacting the SoE were of no consequence to her compared to the people’s safety, she alleged the Opposition had preferred to snipe and mislead citizens for narrow partisan reasons.

“At a time when the nation was crying out for a united assault on crime, the Opposition politicians failed miserably to rise to the defence of the citizenry against a marauding criminal force.”

She said with the unanimous nod of the NSC and Cabinet, she had made a decision that had not been easy, but had kept within the Constitution and the law.

Persad-Bissessar hailed those who had fought the criminals.

“You, our protective services, have taken this nation from the brink of disorder and chaos and restored law and order and ensured that our democracy remains intact,” she said.

“You have wrested the control and confidence away from criminals who felt they could threaten and do what they wanted with impunity and now they are on the run and public confidence in the ability of our protective services is beginning to return,” said Persad-Bissessar. “Psychologically, relieved of living in fear and from a sense of hopelessness, the state of anxiety and vulnerability felt by the public gradually went away.”

She said the nation had won, through the SoE and curfew.

“We do not claim a complete victory. There have been challenges along the way, but undoubtedly, the battle has been won to a large extent. Due to the SoE and curfew, the gang leaders tremble in fear, the crime rate plummets, guns are taken off the streets that could have killed innocent persons, families can sleep better, justice has prevailed and illicit drugs are seized.

“The criminal elements saw a nation joining together against them, in support of thousands of our best and bravest members of the joint protective services ...”

More weapons, drugs and criminals had been seized in the last two and a half months, than in several years of anti-crime efforts prior, said Persad-Bissessar. Saying the SoE and curfew were more than a success, she said, “It saved our nation. It redeemed all previous failed attempts. It has made Trinidad and Tobago safer than it has been for a very long time.”

Persad-Bissessar gave figures to show the SoE had led to a drop in crime. Murders fell from 46 cases in the month before the SoE to just 18 for the same period during the SoE and curfew, a 60 percent drop. “Gang related homicides were reduced by an even higher percentage.”

For the same period, serious crimes such as robbery with aggravation, house- breaking and rape fell by more than half (51 percent), while car-theft fell by 73 percent.

She emphasised the drop in murders in three different ways.

Murders from January 1 to October 31 fell from 400 cases last year to 302 this year. For the SoE/curfew period of August to October 201l, just 35 murders had occurred, down from 70 for the same period last year.

Likewise last month saw just 13 murders — the lowest in two decades — compared to 30 for October 2010.

She gave figures to show that the period of January to October (which included the SOE/curfew period) had seen more detection of crimes, such as the seizure of firearms and ammunition, and illicit narcotics. More marijuana (107,000 kilogrammes) was seized during the SoE period she said than in all of 2010 (39,000 kilogrammes). Some 166 kilogrammes of cocaine was seized this year (including 13.8 kilogrammes during the SoE/curfew), compared to just 82 kilogrammes last year.

Some 12,000 bullets were seized this year, compared to 5,000 bullets last year.

Persad-Bissessar said the SoE/curfew had put more boots on the ground, up from the usual cohort of 6,146 police officers who are deployed in shifts across TT.

“On the very first day of the SoE, as we added the personnel from the various TT Regiment, the Air Guard and the Coast Guard this effective number of security personnel directly involved in crime fighting was increased by 71 percent to 10,316.”

She said serious crimes fell from 583 cases in the fortnight before the SoE, by a 43 percent drop in the first fortnight of the SoE. Citizens know there was a drastic reduction in murders, rapes and robberies during the SoE/curfew, she asserted.

She said the SoE and curfew were successful, as shown by a better interaction between the protective services and citizenry, and the taking back of the streets by the community. “In addition the independence of the Judiciary remains intact, the courts remain free and open, and justice is accessible for any citizen who feels aggrieved.”

She said there is more to be done, as the fight against crime does not end with the SoE and curfew.

She noted the NSC has said the SoE and curfew have cut criminal activity, disturbed the drugs/crime/guns cycle, boosted intelligence-gathering, helped army-police collaboration, improved the capacity to monitor criminals and resulted in some being charged.

“Certain exercises to ensure we don’t slip back into the level of criminality will remain and the government reserves the right to impose limited curfews where and when necessary as advised by the Minister of National Security,” said Persad- Bissessar. Her future plans include measures to boost the Central Intelligence Command, retain joint patrols, expand CCTV coverage (across cities, malls and vulnerable areas), target social and cultural initiatives to help community life and create 20,000 jobs in low-income communities. Persad-Bissessar ended by thanking everyone for their patience and cooperation during the SoE/curfew period. Despite the changes she urged citizens to continue to take caution in all they do, and be aware of the law and the lawless.

Flanked by Minister of National Security, Brigadier John Sandy; Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs and Chief of Defence Staff Colonel Kenrick Maharaj, whom she had met at the NSC, the Prime Minister’s speech had the flavour of an address to the nation. She took no media questions.

Afterwards Attorney General Anand Ramlogan told Newsday the difference between the SoE and curfew. He said, “All of the emergency powers regulations shall continue, except the curfew. So that means that all search and seizure, all of those other regulations, will continue except the curfew.”
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SoE remains, stay off the streets
« Reply #1223 on: November 08, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »
Now more confusing announcements!! The curfew has been lifted but we must stay off the streets!  ::)

SoE remains, stay off the streets
By Anna-Lisa Paul Wednesday, November 9 2011

Even as the state of emergency continues and although the curfew has been lifted, members of the public are warned that they still cannot congregate on the nation’s streets as they will be in breach of the state of emergency regulations.

Senior police officials told Newsday that while it is now acceptable for bars and restaurants to remain open until their specified closing time, patrons at these establishments should not be seen gathering on the roadway in front of the respective place as it could be defined as a public place.

Section 2 (1) of the Emergency Regulations Act 2011 defines a public place as “any highway, street, public park or garden, any beach and any public bridge, road, lane, footway, square, court, alley or passage, whether a thoroughfare or not, and includes any open or enclosed space to which, for the time being, the public have or are permitted to have access whether on payment or otherwise.”

Speaking during the daily police briefing at the Police Administration Building in Port-of-Spain yesterday, Public Affairs Director, Sharon Lee Assang said advice will be sought from the Legal Unit of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service as to what exactly persons can do now that the curfew has been lifted.

Responding to questions from reporters about whether persons can resume hosting out of doors parties, Lee Assang said, “The state of emergency regulations quite clearly define what is acceptable and what is allowed. I will have to go to the legal department to outline what exactly has or has not changed with the lifting of the curfew.”

Questioned as to the anticipated increase in crime that is now expected in light of the curfew being lifted, Lee Assang assured measures have been put in place to ensure that crime is kept to a minimum.

Revealing that there is greater collaboration among the various arms of the protective services, Lee Assang said, “We have seen a marked decrease in serious crime because of that collaboration and we want to continue with that to ensure the public feels safe in their environment. I can assure you that the situation that prevailed before the state of emergency will not take place after the state of emergency.”

Adding that officials had already started introducing crime plans in the nine police divisions as the Christmas season approaches, Lee Assang said the authorities are ready for the influx of persons who will be out and about.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,150273.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:33:53 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Emergency a threat to unions so end it now, says Rowley
« Reply #1224 on: November 08, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/11/08/emergency-threat-unions

Emergency a threat to unions
so end it now, says Rowley

Published: Wed, 2011-11-09 22:06
Richard Lord

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley says the retention of the state of emergency was intended to prevent the labour movement and politicians opposed to the Government from conducting their legitimate business. He said this during yesterday’s news conference at his Charles Street, Port-of-Spain, office. Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said the 11 pm to 4 am curfew was lifted with immediate effect on Monday. It was declared on August 21, 2011, to deal with escalating crime in T&T.  Yesterday, Rowley demanded its immediate discontinuation. He said the curfew had several negative effects on the economy and citizens alike. Rowley said children were starving while a curfew was in effect because their parents had either lost their jobs or worked for reduced hours and were unable to meet their daily commitments.

He said he wanted to know the reasons for maintaining the state of emergency. He said there was no answer to that question. “The state of emergency provided no meaningful contribution to policing in Trinidad and Tobago. The state of emergency only exists to preserve the regulations of the emergency,” he said. Rowley said citizens’ rights and freedoms were being abridged and infringed by the regulations of the state of emergency. “These regulations, as they continue to exist, are aimed at the political and labour activity in this country,” Rowley told reporters. He said while the state of emergency was a horrible failure “the regulations permit the Government to control the activities of the Opposition and the labour movement.”

He then called on the Persad-Bissessar “to end the state of emergency now! End it today.” Rowley added: “It makes no contribution to proper policing and it is damaging to the moral of the country.” He said the Government was abusing its authority by maintaining the state of emergency regulations. Rowley said the retention of the regulations was effectively “causing the Government to control the legitimate activities of the Opposition and the labour movement.” He added: “This continuation of the state of emergency is a naked, political advantage-seeking action on the part of the Government and (it) must end immediately.” He said the regulations “are not aimed at criminals, they are aimed at law-abiding citizens who will like to go about our law-abiding business without having to ask for permission, please.”

Rowley said it was “absolute nonsense” for Persad-Bissessar to say the police had saved T&T’s democracy by the efforts during the state of emergency. Rowley said T&T’s democracy was not under any threat. He said the Police Service had been “demoralised and disgraced” after it was unable to prosecute hundreds of citizens arrested because of a lack of evidence. Rowley insisted  a state of emergency was not required for the police to do its work of securing the state. He said the Opposition offered to meet with the Government days before the emergency was imposed. Questioned about the possibility of co-operation with the Government in the future, Rowley said the Opposition could not trust the People’s Partnership Government.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:10:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: November 08, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Responding to questions from reporters about whether persons can resume hosting out of doors parties, Lee Assang said, “The state of emergency regulations quite clearly define what is acceptable and what is allowed. I will have to go to the legal department to outline what exactly has or has not changed with the lifting of the curfew.”

So, its all so clear that even Assang has to go ask someone, so how de ass are we supposed to know?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: November 08, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
Discussion going on right now on TV6!

http://www.tv6tnt.tv/TV6_Brightcove/default2.html

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Party outdoors? Seek police permission first
« Reply #1227 on: November 09, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,150327.html

Party outdoors? Seek police permission first
Thursday, November 10 2011

The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service is urging citizens to seek permission from the Commissioner of Police before holding any event.

At the police briefing yesterday at Police Administration Building, Sackville Street, Port-of-Spain, Public Information Officer Sgt Wayne Myster said the problem when persons congregate they could breach the Motor Vehicle and Traffic Act. “It may have persons congregating in the streets but the problem will be contravening the Motor Vehicle and Traffic Act. Such as blocking off streets, unnecessary obstruction, parking in no parking zones, parking on the pavements, those are offences under normal circumstances. Citizens have to be very mindful that you must get permission from the CoP to hold these gatherings,” he said.

He added that they were not against people having their private parties it was just important they sought permission first. “People who have their private parties, we are not against that, we are urging citizens if you are having an activity that will contravene the Motor Vehicle and Traffic Act you must seek permission to do these things,” he said.

When asked if persons still had to seek permission if they were holding an event on the beach, he said, “Yes.”

“For a beach party you will have to have a licence to have loud speakers, even on the beach offences can be committed. Persons will also have to have a bar licence, you must get the necessary licence and permission to do these things,” he said.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: November 10, 2011, 04:45:46 AM »
So before May 24th 2010, CEPEP and URP were horrible, horrible, horrible, downright evil creatures of the PNM.....now it will be tool to fight crime post SOE.......

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: 

oooooohhhhh gaaarrdddd oooooyyyeeeee......dey doh have a clue!!!.....bunch a facking idiots..... :cursing: :bs: :bs:  :banginghead:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: November 10, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
There is a theory going around that the Govt are hoping that Xmas and carnival will distract the T&T public from putting heavy pressure on the govt once the SOE ends.
When you notice how the big names are no longer anywhere to be seen, you can see the way they hope people just won't bother to ask questions. Remember the days when the A.G. and Sandy were on tv every day? How do they spend their days now? Why aren't they being questioned?

If that report is to believed, out of 236 charged under the anti gang legislation, there is a 100% failure rate!
How much money has this farce cost the taxpayers?
[/quote
I don't think the entire thing was a failure. I believe Gibbs when they say they received intelligence from the detainees. I can't believe that those fellas wouldn't have been interrogated by the police. What that intelligence translates into is another matter. The number of releases are very discouraging.

Agree with u, to me that was the one big disappointing thing about the SOE and and the anti-gang bill.

But at the end of the day, I was glad the SOE and curfew was implemented for a time, I believe it was stopped at the right time as it had reached diminshing returns (at least public communication).
But I agree with the PM, even if we saved one human life from it, you can argue that i was a success, the fact that murders were cut down by a third is a good thing. Lots of contraband was found but my other disappointment is that no higher profile criminals were caught.

The way I see it, the Govt make an attempt to do something to arrest the biggest problem in our country - crime and violence.
Lots of people lambast the effort, thats their right. in this country, like any other, you will have opposition to anything you do - damn if u do and damned if you dont.  At the end of the day these decisions are made by people trained in this sort of thing and privy to information that we have no idea even exists (the PM advisers).
Eagerly looking to see how the crime stats go moving into Xmas and Carnival, where traditionally its the highest for the year.

I also wonder - all these people they detain - its standard police procedure to fingerprint arrested people, the police in theory will now have a much more complete database of potential criminals, because lets face it, the majority of the people they detain (whether they were subsequently freed on technicalities or not) are people involved in some sort of illegal activity...

As we on the crime fighting issue, 2 other things I hope they sort out quickly - the current DNA bill before parliament and also the endless network of video surveillance across the nation that was implemented for the CHOGUM.

1]; } ?>