March 28, 2024, 05:54:41 PM

Author Topic: Denoon wants to be recognised by the TTFF  (Read 3773 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Denoon wants to be recognised by the TTFF
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:32:27 AM »
Wasn't this the man they used to call "Bound to score."?

Denoon wants to be recognised
By Walter Aliber (T&T Newsday)

FORMER Trinidad and Tobago and Defence Force footballer, Nevick Denoon wants the Government and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) to recognise him for his contribution to the sport over the years.

Denoon, who is now coach of Morvant Elements in the Northern Football League (NFA), is reminding us all of his contribution at his alma mater Hillview College and Defence Force as well as his exploits at local and international competitions.

Denoon laments what he described as the disregard being meted out to him by the local football federation despite the hard work he has done towards national development and nation-building.

“I have been presenting this country with players for the past years.

The growth of Arnold Dwarika, Densill Theobald, Kerwin Jemmott, Ryan Primus, Aurtis Whitley and current TT footballer Noel Williams all started with me,” Denoon said.

He added “And what about my role to community-building through Morvant Elements and a number of other sports. We at Elements have been the shining light in the darkness of the Laventille community.”

The former striker has worn the red, white and black of Trinidad and Tobago for 14 years, between 1975- 1989.

Among his achievements was scoring the winner for Trinidad and Tobago in an international friendly against CONCACAF giants Mexico at the Queen’s Park Oval.

The Morvant striker led the scoring for Defence Force from 1978-1984, guiding the Army/Coast Guard combination to the Caribbean club crown in his first year.

In addition to the CONCACAF achievement, Defence Force also won all the trophies and titles up for grabs that year.

Denoon revealed the dissatisfaction he felt during the TTFF centennial celebrations where there was no mention of his name and the contribution he made to the development of the sport over the years.

“I felt personally disrespected, humiliated and hurt that, after all the hard work I had been through to make the national team and represent the country, that officials in charge of football refused to call my name or give me an award” Denoon said.

He made it clear “It is now all about what my country can do for me. I have absolutely nothing to show to my children and grand children for the contribution I have made to football in TT. ”

Soon after his successes at the Army, Denoon joined ECM Motown in 1984 and guided the Port-of-Spain team to FA Cup and League titles. They were also voted the Team of the Year that same year.

He has now dedicated his life to helping the young budding footballers and individuals in the Morvant/Laventille area to become responsible citizens.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:18:10 AM by Tallman »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Denoon wants to be recognised by the TTFF
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:04:02 AM »
Breds i hear you,i know how it feels,a lot of us want to be recognised by the TTFF,if it eh happen before don't expect it to happen now.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:12:14 AM »
This man was a staple on the national team when I was growing up.

Didn't he have a brother called Clyde who also played for the national team?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:49:04 AM »
This man was a staple on the national team when I was growing up.

Didn't he have a brother called Clyde who also played for the national team?

VB
       He has a brother named Clyde but Clyde never played for the national team,he played with me at ECM a very good player though.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:55:52 AM »
Breds i hear you,i know how it feels,a lot of us want to be recognised by the TTFF,if it eh happen before don't expect it to happen now.
I don't get the "I want to be recognized by the TTFF"?  Where does this come from and why?  Certainly what is needed is a T&T Football Hall of Fame of some sort and established criteria etc...however, who says Denoon would make it anyway?  Me eh saying he wasn't good, as a matter of fact I saw him play on many occasions but since when a man asking for himself to be given an award?  I actually think it's in bad taste.  Again, me eh saying he eh deserve it but I don't like the self promotion....  Hopefully, he would have save some of his clippings and created a scrap book of some sort to show his kids...If he didn't, oh well!
Arimian to meh heart

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:07:41 AM »
I don't get the "I want to be recognized by the TTFF"?  Where does this come from and why?  Certainly what is needed is a T&T Football Hall of Fame of some sort and established criteria etc...however, who says Denoon would make it anyway?  Me eh saying he wasn't good, as a matter of fact I saw him play on many occasions but since when a man asking for himself to be given an award?  I actually think it's in bad taste.  Again, me eh saying he eh deserve it but I don't like the self promotion....  Hopefully, he would have save some of his clippings and created a scrap book of some sort to show his kids...If he didn't, oh well!

What ^^^ he said.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:26:39 AM »
Is his name spelt; "Denoon" - "De Noon" - "de Noon" - or "DeNoon"

If I was doing an interview the first thing I would what to know is your name and how you spell it.

By the way; who is Ryan Primus ?
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline kingdavid

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 07:00:28 AM »
Is his name spelt; "Denoon" - "De Noon" - "de Noon" - or "DeNoon"

If I was doing an interview the first thing I would what to know is your name and how you spell it.

By the way; who is Ryan Primus ?

i think that might be a misprint flex he ment robert primus
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:04:30 AM by Flex »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 07:05:33 AM »
Coops, help me to understand. If you know that the TTFF refuses to recognize individuals that played for our country AND made valuable contributions off the field after they hung up their boots, why do you support them against the 2006 warriors. Is it because you believe that as bad as they can be the federation is just the best of a bad bunch?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
Nice player indeed and good in the box. Both he and Godfrey Harris had to be marked tight and had yuh concentrating for 90 minutes
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:09:50 AM »
       I agree with you,it's the way it was done,you don't beg for these things,i think a hall of fame could be good recognition,may be he wants something more.That's why i never boasted or talked about myself until Flex decided to do a little take on me,i always left it to the public to do that for me.  
'

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:24:53 AM »
Coops, help me to understand. If you know that the TTFF refuses to recognize individuals that played for our country AND made valuable contributions off the field after they hung up their boots, why do you support them against the 2006 warriors. Is it because you believe that as bad as they can be the federation is just the best of a bad bunch?
       Zando i'm sorry,i have explained myself on this issue many times on this forum and you all have the perception that i'm supporting the TTFF against the warriors,i support Football (the game)not no organization,not because they are my friends i support what they do,i play and fool around with you all because of the perception you all have of me,don't matter what happens in Football i going to support my team and the guys who represents us,i can't take myself away from something i was and am a part off.
    FYI....i just find the money issue and the way it was done was a pack of shyt,it did not have to go that far,all the players not even united on the whole thing,that should tell you all something.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:47:41 AM by Coop's »

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:38:06 AM »
       I agree with you,it's the way it was done,you don't beg for these things,i think a hall of fame could be good recognition,may be he wants something more.That's why i never boasted or talked about myself until Flex decided to do a little take on me,i always left it to the public to do that for me.  
'
:beermug: :beermug:  You take the right angle.  There are a lot of guys with great accomplishments but you don't seek out awards, let them come to you. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
DeNoon was my coach in secondary school/intercol. I've seen him make many sacrifices to guide us as youths playing the game not just on the field but in life. I know he really believed in the youths and always promoted football as an avenue to keep us off the block in the state in which crime was becoming rampant.
Now he always struck me as a person who did this from his heart since he wanted to contribute and help make a change in our lives so I'm some what surprized he said something like that in the article pushing for self recognition from the gov't. I will like to think the journalist probably asked him a question to lead him down that path but I don't know and can't speak on that. Seemed a bit out of character though.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:37 AM »

Lets support the TTFF Coop's! It almost sound like yuh bad talking them, like yuh want to get blacklisted or what?!
Big-up to Oliver Camps & the TTFF, they are doing a great job, Oliver for life-long TTFF President!! :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:54:21 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
I don't think is like that ... I think the man felt under appreciated and he said how he felt and the journalist put it out there ... I don't believe the man gone to the press to state grudges .... thin line between perception and interpretation.
This thing about going and seeking out come nah man really...... everybody wants to feel appreciated for their efforts!!!
Perfect example Jan Steadman will never get the kind of recognition he deserves for the selfless effort he put in with so many youths over the years .... and he won't seek recognition for it but I'm certain he feels the same way.... so if a journalist interviews him and writes how he feels about it does it mean he is seeking it out as well ... steups ..... besides I dont think this man is seeking recognition but rather appreciation!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »
Interview with Nevick Denoon

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4PpTvTN3iVE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4PpTvTN3iVE</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 08:22:50 AM »
I enjoyed that interview with Nevick, one thing with him is he keeps it real. No political answers.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
I enjoyed that interview with Nevick, one thing with him is he keeps it real. No political answers.

Ent!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 01:47:23 PM »

What about the constant references to El Jefe?  ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 01:53:24 PM »

What about the constant references to El Jefe?  ;D

He was trying to maintain respect, true rastaman vibes :mackdaddy:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2022, 05:10:29 PM »
Young Morvant footballers succumb to poverty, gang life
By Joshua Seemungal(T&T Guardian)

For decades, the Morvant Recreational Grounds has been a breeding ground for football talent, providing young men from the community and surrounding areas with the opportunity to hone their skills.

Many of those young men went on to excel at the Secondary Schools' Football League (SSFL) level, the local professional league, foreign professional leagues, and, of course, with the national team.

Sean David, Arnold Dwarika, Dennis Lawrence, Jason Scotland, Brent Sancho, Ross Russell, Aurtis Whitley, Stokely Mason, Hayden Tinto and Russel Latapy, some of the best local football talents, are just some of the legends that trained and developed their skills at the grounds.

But football and community life in Morvant are not what they used to be.

Residents claim that more youths are succumbing to poverty and gang life, and as a result, are not reaching their full football and academic potential.

Despite the numerous challenges, another one of the community’s most famous footballing sons, former national team star player Nevick Denoon refuses to give up.

The owner/manager of Morvant Elements knows all too well what football can offer.

It helped him get an education at Hillview College, then university, before taking him to the Defence Force. It also allowed him to travel the world playing with the Trinidad youth and senior football teams.

“He’s the only man doing something with the youths and them because it has plenty of them. It has plenty of footballers but they going to the gun. The community leaders and them on so much crap, instead of giving them a gun, they not saying let me give them a pair of football boots, or a uniform to encourage them in something positive,” a resident in his 40s told the Sunday Guardian.

During a visit to the Morvant Recreational Grounds recently to interview coach Denoon, it was clear that he was dealing with a lot.

While he smiled for the majority of the interview, he occasionally stared blankly into space.

In those moments, I imagined him reflecting on the magnitude of the challenges confronting his beloved club.

'We need economic support'

Formed in the 1980s, Morvant Elements was once the top professional team in the country, winning divisional titles. Denoon, whose family moved to Morvant in 1976, was one of the team’s star players. He has also been a senior club executive since its inception.

“We need economic support. We need corporate people to come in. For example, things like equipment. A parent has three children and can’t afford $300 for a pair of boots. Right now it’s several issues that are burdening us and the parental support is not there,” Denoon lamented while speaking at the pavilion.

The pathway to the pavilion was drenched in water and moss, creating a slippery surface, while stray dogs and goat faeces populated the stands.

Small sections of the field’s grass are broken up by large puddles of mud saturated by water, making it difficult for the ball to roll smoothly and making it easy for players to lose their footing.

The ground's lights do not work, limiting training by Morvant Elements and Malick Secondary’s football teams to daylight.

“We are stigmatised and marginalised, so the education standard has fallen badly. And that is one of my greatest concerns right now–education. Simple things like timetables, literacy and numeracy skills have fallen back. This is the worst I’ve seen since I’ve been in this community. But football now is the resuscitator. Football is the vehicle we are using again to rebuild,” Denoon said.

“My main issue is the development of the youngsters who are coming from a lot of broken homes. Parents unable to support themselves. The youths going to primary school can’t even spell or read, and I’m discovering that when they come to Morvant Elements to play.”

Promising players lost to violence and criminality

Over the years, Denoon has lost several promising players to violence and criminality.

A few years ago, he said, an Elements player, James Julien, was killed in a drive-by shooting while he was on his way to training.

“There aren’t the opportunities, or they are not taking advantage of the opportunities because they don’t know how. They can’t access the possibilities that are there, except maybe when they come to the club and we try to guide them. But what you find right now is they are controlling their homes because mommy isn’t working and if the son comes home with some food, mommy not even asking him where he got it from,” Denoon lamented.

“Do not rush only when you see the boys getting in trouble, but rush when he wants to play football. I mean if the parents would rather sit down or go and 'zess', rather than watch the boy play football on a Saturday, it’s only going to get worse. Something has to change."

Following our initial interview with the Morvant Elements owner and coach, we made our way into Never Dirty in search of some of his former players.

It was shortly after midday on that particular day in late November.

Yet, it was relatively easy to speak with young men near the Never Dirty Pavilion and Multi-Purpose Court.

At first, I spoke with two boys who play with Morvant Elements–one 16 years old, and the other, 15.

I asked them why they were not in school.

“I got in a fight, so I’m not in school right now…I also can’t be in football right now because of discipline,” the 16 year old said.

“I just stay home. I going in tomorrow,” the younger one said unapologetically.

Since the age of seven or eight, both have played football with coach Denoon.

They dream of making it far in football, but it was clear that they lacked confidence in realising that dream.

“I want to go real far in football. If I get the chance I will go,” the boy, 16, said.

“What could stop you from making that happen?” I asked.

“Hard work,” he said.

Joseph Jacob Nicholls, 18, took time to speak with us near the court as well.

Personable and with a beaming smile, the Morvant Elements defender said he was currently injured.

He said that football in the community must heal in order for the community as a whole to heal.

“We try all how to bring back football in the community–to make the community lively again, nah. For the children to come out to play ball. To have fun and not bicker amongst each other,” Joseph said.

“Coach Denoon has been there. He’s our sergeant. He will never give up, our coach... That’s one thing. He will always be there for us, always be there to train us and show us the goodness of football.”

Joseph said his dream was also to be a professional player.

Once he knows how to push himself, nothing can stop him from making that happen, he said.

“Like I always tell people, it wouldn’t be easy. It will always be hard. All I could tell you is never give up. Always have faith you will make it out there in this life no matter what. You could be from this community, or you could come from here or there. Always remember the place where you really come from and always remember God will never give up on you,” Joseph added.

Two other former players–Quinton and Mark–were working near the court while we were speaking with residents.

They joined in, willingly, to speak highly of football and Denoon’s contribution to the community.

“Sarg has been there for my older brother, Ronny. He’s also been there for Kyle. Daddy and Sarg played together…Football is a togetherness. Sometimes you don’t like a boy who you have to play with, but you don’t want to lose, so you work together,” Mark, a delivery truck worker in his early 20s, said.

“Football helped to develop my character in a positive way. Football has offered that to a lot of young people in the community,” Quinton added.

Parents cannot afford to buy football boots

Later in the day, I returned to the Recreational Ground to observe training and meet some of the younger players.

As I approached the pavilion, I observed coach Denoon speaking with the two 14-year-old players.

They had no football boots, so the coach had to make the tough decision of deciding who would get the last remaining pair of boots that he had.

Yasim (name changed) eventually got them for the day because he came to training first.

Michael (name changed) was not pleased and began to pout.

“But coach, he wear them last time,” Michael said.

To the front row of seats, next to the remaining training equipment, were two big crocus bags.

One was full of black beans, while the other had white rice.

Before every training session, Denoon pours some of each into little bags and gives the players to carry home.

Nobody knows the stories of some of the children at the club, and few seem to care, Denoon laments.

Out of the group of around 15 players training that day, at least six did not have football boots.

Their parents cannot afford to buy them a pair.

One of the club’s most promising players, age 12, is still a couple of years away from writing the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA).

He dropped out of school for a while, but the coach managed to get him back in.

Yasim, who was lucky enough to get the last pair of boots that day, is no longer in school.

Having dropped out during COVID, he works the odd day job in construction to help his family make ends meet.

One of the 18-year-old players is fatherless–lost to violence.

Michael is struggling emotionally to deal with a broken home.

His father has two families–something he just cannot understand, so he is acting out.

During the training session, Denoon pulled aside Michael and another youth, 14, training to be a goalkeeper.

Denoon said he was teaching them to shoot and catch, but I want you to hear this.

“Spell catch,” Denoon said to Michael.

“Can’t remember, coach,” Michael responded.

“Spell catch,” the coach said to the other player.

“Can’t remember,” the other youngster said.

Denoon looked at me after the boys walked away and said, “That’s my challenge right now and no one seems to care. If it wasn’t for football these fellas would be walking the streets up and down.”

Recounting his own life, he said, “My mother, Violet Williams, is my hero. She worked at Hilton as a waitress for 33 years and she taught me everything and said I could do anything. And football has given me everything because it gave me discipline and I think that’s where we are falling back. They are not allowed the opportunity. Nothing is there for them to be part of.”

Before leaving the training ground that evening, I spoke with a parent of one of the players.

“Mr Denoon is a founder and a builder and an asset to this community. He is one of the few people contributing to youth development in football. At the end of the day, if you ask most of these guys the seven times tables, they will say 1x7=7 and 2x7=14, but then they stop. Morvant Elements is not just a football club, it’s also an educational facility. He tries his best to educate them also.”

In June 2021, Education Minister Dr Nyan Gadsby-Dolly said approximately 2,000 students dropped out of school since the beginning of the pandemic.

In the 2022 Secondary Entrance Examination, more than 9,000 students scored less than 50 per cent.

Calls to Sport Minister Shamfa Cudjoe on the issue were unanswered, her phone went straight to voice message.

How to help the youth footballers

If anyone is interested in offering support, contact owner and manager Nevick Denoon at 393-4628.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2023, 03:32:49 PM »
A father figure in Morvant ... football coach Nevick Denoon helps to keep young men off the streets
By Shaliza Hassanali (T&T Guardian)

Nevick Denoon has not only been hailed as a football coach but a father figure to dozens of boys in the Morvant community which is plagued by rising murders, gang warfare and gun violence.

For almost four decades, Denoon, 64, has trained a generation of boys in his Morvant Elements Football Club, victims of poverty and hardship from broken homes while others have dropped out of school.

Denoon has imparted his coaching skills to players such as Russell Latapy, Dennis Lawrence and Arnold Dwraika who have carved a name for themselves in the football arena at home and abroad.

And he continues to play a fatherly role in the lives of many of his players even up to this day.

“A lot of players who lack fathers or are fatherless I try to reach out to them ... to at least be a father figure to them. I keep telling them the wages of sin is death,” said Denoon, who has four children of his own.

“These children have no parental guidance and would sometimes go down the wrong path. I try to encourage them to do better and to work harder for what they want in life.”

Some have taken Denoon’s advice, while others have not been so fortunate.

“A few of them were gunned down in this very community,” Denoon said. “It pains knowing what Morvant was to what it has become ... a killing field.”

Last month, Denoon said he became a pillar of support to one of his players who was released from the Maximum Security Prison in Arouca after serving a 15-year jail time for murder.

“This young man who lost his father at the age of 12 came to me for guidance and advice after coming out of prison. What can I do? I cannot turn my back on him. I have been trying to steer him in the right direction ... to keep him out of trouble in the last few weeks. If I could save one male I would have accomplished something. My work would not have gone in vain.”

Denoon said he feels gutted knowing that little was being done to save this generation of children who are caught up in a life of crime and gun violence.

In the meantime, he continues to do his best.

1]; } ?>