April 24, 2024, 07:01:20 PM

Author Topic: Darryl Roberts on trial with Portland Timbers.  (Read 5400 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Darryl Roberts on trial with Portland Timbers.
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
Just Cool... your list not accurate eh.. just letting you know
Well elaborate, don't just leave me in the dark. after all, there's no shame in my game, and i am always willing and eager to learn.

James, Jaggy and Peltier all played on the failed Digicel Cup team as well as other games under Latas in 2010.
that's at the tail end of his appointment when he realized that the locals he insisted on couldn't cut it @ the international level. all the players you mentioned with the exception of julius got their first look by latas in the degicel.
remember latas insisted on hislop , aklie, keston williams, and tinto. after ah while he realized that these guys didn't have it so he reached out to hyland roberts and birchall who were all in their early season and since it was not an international date they couldn't come. but before they couldn't catch ah break from latas.

as for julius james, he got his first look from latas when we played either honduras or costa rica and he got a straight red, and marvin phillips saved the penalty. after that james was in the dog house after his first cap. latas never looked his way again until his job was in jeopardy during the degicel when spalk threatened him.

Not quite... under Latas, Jaggy played one friendly (against Ja.) and Peltier played in 4 friendlies (against Antigua X2, Guyana and Ja) prior to the Digicel Cup
OK, so i stand corrected, but my point is, latas ignored ah lot of talented players and for a very long time, including roberts, hyland and birchall, three of our better players, of which he had no warrant to do so.

instead he went with his heart and not his head, ah mistake that most local coaches who had the honor of coaching our national team duplicated. don't misunderstand me, i don't have any ill feelings towards latas, but for the two yrs he was in charge, he got it wrong 90% of the time, especially in his team selection policy.

It was not his team selection policy....... "Choose from what we allow you to choose from". Who was paying for Roberts and Birchall to fly home ????? Latas ?????

Not saying that he was a good coach but let us be realistic with what he had to work with. It is all coming out to the light not...the TTFF is BANKRUPT. Latas and them ent get pay for over a year so how the hell they getting money to bring home players on a regular basis.
Breds you believe that? latas was flying KJ scotty and carlos from england, and how far is belgium from england again? just ah couple 100 miles across the river/ channel last i remember, scotland was even closer to the north. as for birchall, last i checked, america is closer in proximity to the west than england.

all these are poor excuses, the black list was over when jack realized that the younger crop could not cut it on an international level, even the columbian realized that in the end. remember football is plenty money and jack couldn't make money with shyte players, that's why jack stayed in T&T football for so long, to make money.

there were only three fellas who jack would not touch under no circumstances, K.jack. B.sancho, and shaka who already retired @ the time, all the other players was eligible.

latas was on sh!t, lets face it, he played god with the team and in the end fell on his own fackin sword. and if you believe the TTFF is truly broke then you're more naive than i thought, the TTFF only playing broke bc they don't want tuh pay up, they have plenty money in their off shore account.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:34:26 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 09:30:25 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 07:48:06 AM »
Well elaborate, don't just leave me in the dark. after all, there's no shame in my game, and i am always willing and eager to learn.

James, Jaggy and Peltier all played on the failed Digicel Cup team as well as other games under Latas in 2010.
that's at the tail end of his appointment when he realized that the locals he insisted on couldn't cut it @ the international level. all the players you mentioned with the exception of julius got their first look by latas in the degicel.
remember latas insisted on hislop , aklie, keston williams, and tinto. after ah while he realized that these guys didn't have it so he reached out to hyland roberts and birchall who were all in their early season and since it was not an international date they couldn't come. but before they couldn't catch ah break from latas.

as for julius james, he got his first look from latas when we played either honduras or costa rica and he got a straight red, and marvin phillips saved the penalty. after that james was in the dog house after his first cap. latas never looked his way again until his job was in jeopardy during the degicel when spalk threatened him.

Not quite... under Latas, Jaggy played one friendly (against Ja.) and Peltier played in 4 friendlies (against Antigua X2, Guyana and Ja) prior to the Digicel Cup
OK, so i stand corrected, but my point is, latas ignored ah lot of talented players and for a very long time, including roberts, hyland and birchall, three of our better players, of which he had no warrant to do so.

instead he went with his heart and not his head, ah mistake that most local coaches who had the honor of coaching our national team duplicated. don't misunderstand me, i don't have any ill feelings towards latas, but for the two yrs he was in charge, he got it wrong 90% of the time, especially in his team selection policy.

It was not his team selection policy....... "Choose from what we allow you to choose from". Who was paying for Roberts and Birchall to fly home ????? Latas ?????

Not saying that he was a good coach but let us be realistic with what he had to work with. It is all coming out to the light not...the TTFF is BANKRUPT. Latas and them ent get pay for over a year so how the hell they getting money to bring home players on a regular basis.
Breds you believe that? latas was flying KJ scotty and carlos from england, and how far is belgium from england again? just ah couple 100 miles across the river/ channel last i remember, scotland was even closer to the north. as for birchall, last i checked, america is closer in proximity to the west than england.

all these are poor excuses, the black list was over when jack realized that the younger crop could not cut it on an international level, even the columbian realized that in the end. remember football is plenty money and jack couldn't make money with shyte players, that's why jack stayed in T&T football for so long, to make money.

there were only three fellas who jack would not touch under no circumstances, K.jack. B.sancho, and shaka who already retired @ the time, all the other players was eligible.

latas was on sh!t, lets face it, he played god with the team and in the end fell on his own fackin sword. and if you believe the TTFF is truly broke then you're more naive than i thought, the TTFF only playing broke bc they don't want tuh pay up, they have plenty money in their off shore account.
The money ent go into no TTFF off shore account.....it went into Jack pocket.

And please remind me of the games where KJ and Scotty them played under Latas.....after the failed world cup campain !!!!

Remember that I am not saying that Latas was a great coach but you/or me might be wrong about the argument of player selection......let us see who is right.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »
Timbers Reserves down Earthquake Reserves 2-0
Portland Timbers

Umony's goal, assist help Portland to second straight Reserve League win

SAN JOSE, Calif.– Forward Brian Umony recorded a goal and an assist and forward Bright Dike scored his first goal in 2011 as the Portland Timbers Reserves defeated the San Jose Earthquakes Reserves 2-0 at the Nutrilite Training Facility on Sunday afternoon.

With the win, the Timbers Reserves (3-2-1, 10pts) recorded their second straight victory and extended their unbeaten streak in the MLS Reserve League to three games.

Umony opened the scoring in the 12th minute after stealing a ball on the San Jose half. He dribbled past two Earthquakes Reserves defenders before firing a shot past a diving Andrew Weber in goal.

The second half saw opportunities for both teams, but the Timbers Reserves used their speed to create more dangerous opportunities. In the 58th minute, Umony fed the ball to Dike in front of the Earthquakes’ box. After two touches, Dike sent a ball that deflected off the left post and bounced in to secure a two-goal lead.

The Earthquakes Reserves (3-3-1, 10pts) were reduced to 10 men in the 65th minute, when defender Chris Leitch received a red card after throwing a shoulder into the chest of Umony down the right sideline.

Dike scored his first goal of the season as he returns to form from an Achillies injury in preseason and Umony logged his third assist for the Timbers Reserves. Goalkeeper Adin Brown made two saves to earn the first shutout of the MLS Reserve League season for Portland.

The match was very physical from both sides, with a combined total of 19 fouls from the two teams. The Timbers Reserves dominated possession throughout the entire game, allowing them to notch more shots on goal and ultimately find the back of the net on two solid opportunities to defeat the Earthquakes Reserves for a second time this season.

The lineup for the Timbers Reserves featured four trialists, including three in the team’s Starting XI – defenders Koffi Chrysostome and Dillon Barna and forward Darryl Roberts. The fourth trialist, Dylan Leslie, came on as a second-half sub.

In their next match, the Timbers Reserves play host the Vancouver Whitecaps FC Reserves at JELD-WEN Field on Sunday, Aug. 21 at 12 noon.

Portland Timbers (3-2-1, 10pts) at San Jose Earthquakes (3-3-1, 10pts) – MLS Reserve League
Aug. 7, 2011 – Nutrilite Training Facility
Attendance: NA

Scoring Summary
POR: Brian Umony (Unassisted), 12
POR: Bright Dike (Brian Umony), 58

Misconduct Summary
SJ: Chris Leitch (caution), 38
POR: Peter Lowry (caution), 45
POR: Kalif Alhassan (caution), 62
SJ: Chris Leitch (ejection), 63

Lineups & Stats:
POR: Adin Brown, Steve Purdy, Chris Taylor, Koffi Chrysostome, Dillon Barna, Peter Lowry, Kalif Alhassan (Rodrigo Lopez 66), Brian Umony, Freddie Braun, Bright Dike (Dylan Leslie 81), Darryl Roberts

Statistics: Shots: 10; Shots on Goal: 4; Saves: 2; Fouls: 12; Offsides: 3; Corners: 3

SJ: Andrew Weber, Tim Ward, Nana Attakora, Chris Leitch, Justin Morrow, Rafael Baca (Jonathan Vaudran 75), Khari Stephenson, Kamel Yesli (Ryan Mash 86), Anthony Ampaipitakwong (Lynden Gooch 75), Ellis McLoughlin (Milton Blanco 86), Andrea Pisanu (Jean-Francois Mbuba 61, Andy Perez 86)

Statistics: Shots: 4; Shots on Goal: 2; Saves: 3; Fouls: 7; Offsides: 1; Corners: 3

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »

And please remind me of the games where KJ and Scotty them played under Latas.....after the failed world cup campain !!!!

Remember that I am not saying that Latas was a great coach but you/or me might be wrong about the argument of player selection......let us see who is right.
Breds, this is ah no brainer. in regard to KJ and carlos, i was mainly talking bout the hex, bc we never had a serious international after the hex except the degicel cup prelims and finals.

but there was ah few friendlies during the MLS off season where latas was using the usual shytesnakes when he had good MLS players to choose from, while whitmore was doing the total opposite.

take forinstance when we played jamaica, whitmore came with ah full MLS contingent and a few european based with fuller being one of them, dane richards, cummings and ah few sweedish players as well, and latas didn't even bother to bring back a birchall , a sealy, or ah james. instead he went with the usual suspects and we were embarrassed in our own back yard.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »

Breds, this is ah no brainer. in regard to KJ and carlos, i was mainly talking bout the hex, bc we never had a serious international after the hex except the degicel cup prelims and finals.

but there was ah few friendlies during the MLS off season where latas was using the usual shytesnakes when he had good MLS players to choose from, while whitmore was doing the total opposite.

take forinstance when we played jamaica, whitmore came with ah full MLS contingent and a few european based with fuller being one of them, dane richards, cummings and ah few sweedish players as well, and latas didn't even bother to bring back a birchall , a sealy, or ah james. instead he went with the usual suspects and we were embarrassed in our own back yard.
1. They were now building a team and the policy was to use locals.(TTFF or Latas?)
2. This was when they started to find out just how poor the locals were.(Part of the learning process)
3. Who was deciding which players to bring.(TTFF or Latas?)
4. Who was paying their airfare.(TTFF or Latas?)

Do we know for a fact that Latas did not ask for these players, but was restricted in who he had to choose from by the TTFF, their policies and their budget ??????????

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 04:55:02 AM »
No response from Portland for Roberts.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Darryl Roberts is now one of the forwards in the national senior team and appears to be in good touch following his double in the recent 3-0 win over India but he is still in search of an overseas club. Roberts is in training with DirecTV North East Stars and spent a week on trial with MLS club Portland Timbers last month.

He also had an option to travel to Colombia but the club there, Medellin, wanted him to train for an entire pre-season before deciding on whether they would make him an offer.

“I haven’t heard anything from Portland to date and the club in Colombia wanted me to train for an entire pre season before the made a decision. I’m in good spirits and I’m prepared to keep on playing and working hard until something good comes up.

“Right now my main focus is to stay fit and help the national team in the World Cup qualifiers. Of course I would like to have something good happening for my club career but I won’t let it frustrate me,” Roberts added. He has scored five goals in 19 appearances for T&T.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>