April 27, 2024, 06:42:23 PM

Author Topic: Overmuscled and Sprints  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Overmuscled and Sprints
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
This has probably already been discussed but clear some ting up for me

What is the point of muscling up for sprinting.....I understand it has something to do with having more power for your ‘drive phase’ or whatever
 Yet some of the guys on the starting look like they should be in the powerlifting event instead of sprints

I cyah recall Bailey, Ato, M.Johnson etc lookin like dey does eat a whole peacock just before the race

Plus I have yet to see a seriously ‘pumped’ sprinter win consistenly....it hada youth man from the UK In the finals (I eh ketch he name good) at the finals this week de man swell up like ah full macajuel with a bee sting allergy and he still get he ass wash

Isnt being too muscled counter productive in the 100 m?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Overmuscled and Sprints
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »
This has probably already been discussed but clear some ting up for me

What is the point of muscling up for sprinting.....I understand it has something to do with having more power for your ‘drive phase’ or whatever
 Yet some of the guys on the starting look like they should be in the powerlifting event instead of sprints

I cyah recall Bailey, Ato, M.Johnson etc lookin like dey does eat a whole peacock just before the race

Plus I have yet to see a seriously ‘pumped’ sprinter win consistenly....it hada youth man from the UK In the finals (I eh ketch he name good) at the finals this week de man swell up like ah full macajuel with a bee sting allergy and he still get he ass wash

Isnt being too muscled counter productive in the 100 m?

It all depends! Some ah them UK men trying to emulate Linford Christie but ah not sure if they possess the same amount of natural sprinting talent as he did! But then again some say that Linford get away by the skin of he teeth but Ben Johnson another over muscled athlete was not so lucky!

At the end of the day if they keep getting their ass blazed then they will eventually realise that all them muscles not helping unless yuh have to lift a certain amount ah weights as part of the qualification before yuh are allowed to run!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:54:35 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Overmuscled and Sprints
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
A lot of those "overly muscular" fellas are sometimes carrying little to no body fat, making them appear more like Mr. Universe when they are not.

Ben Johnson (who looked like he-man) was in his day 5' 10" and weighed only 165 lbs. Carl Lewis on the other hand who looked slender in comparison was 6' 3" and 180 lbs.

Too much muscle "tends" to impact a sprinter's flexibility and more than likely causes them to tighten up late in the race, so in a lot of cases you see the muscle men powering ahead after the start only to be caught at 75-80m. That's why Dwain Chambers of the UK is tough to beat at the 60m indoor but come outdoor season can't place as high in global finals of the 100m. Nesta Carter of Jamaica is another example (actually he resembles Ben Johnson bad).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:11:01 PM by STMB »

1]; } ?>