March 29, 2024, 12:39:21 AM

Author Topic: Told you so (not what you think)  (Read 2855 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Told you so (not what you think)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »
http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blogs/blog=blockheadblog/postid=552215.html

Good stuff! I agree, it’s time to go back to the previous incarnation of the false start rule, the sport is definitely suffering now as a result of it. I had money on Bolt winning that 100m final & lost!  >:(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:55:11 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »
silly rule, whoever thought of it
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 02:20:59 PM »
silly rule, whoever thought of it

I think we all thought the same damn thing when UB got disqualified.

The very nature of this race means there's a lot of stress and tension, more so than any of it's kind.

At the very least they should allow the first FS to pass.

I would support allowing two FS and then on the the third your're disqualified even if it's the first for you.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
well, I'm going to be contrarian and disagree.

The only thing that makes this seem unfair is the idea that runners have previously been allowed more than one chance. I believe swimming has a similarly draconian false start policy and people accept it for what it is and adjust. The times in the 50 m freestyle are bunched just as closely together as the times in the 100m so it's not as if there is less incentive to get the extra fraction of a second.

I suspect that public sentiment will lead to the rule being changed prior to London when in reality a high profile case like this is actually what is needed to keep the athletes in line. People used to be DQed when they were allowed one; people used to be DQed when the field was allowed one; people will be DQed under any alternative. The nature of sport is for the athletes to push the boundaries. 

Everyone agrees that false starts should be punished. Without the threat of disqualification there is no meaningful way to punish false starts. Once you get to that point it's just a matter of deciding how many times you get to false start before being disqualified. Two isn't any more intrinsically fair than one. It's just a design decision.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »
That false start rule is one of the stupidest rule in sports!  I hope the Athletics committee have the good sense to change it and go back to the former 2 and out rule.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »
Those who know both swimming and TnF say even swimming's shortest distance takes much longer and the start is not as critical.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 04:23:14 PM »
This false start rule may be harsh, but it evens the field IMO.

If a sprinter goes out hopin to catch a "flier", he/she does so knowing the risk is that much greater under this new rule.

Besides...people bawlin bout how the sports biggest star get thrown out and how dat is bad for the sport.  I say bollocks.  The star shouldn't be bigger than the sport, no matter the sport.  PGA golf surviving and thriving despite Tiger Woods playing like Tiger Balm.  And if yuh watch the start good, Bolt eh jes jump de gun.  He terrorize it!  He leap out a good full second before de gun went off.  Obviously he was anticipating the gun and get ketch. 

If he so have a need to jump de gun, maybe he was worried bout somebody in de race and wasn't confident in his ability to track down that person hence the need for a flier.

I have no problem with this false start rule.  If people upset wwith this rule because an athlete doh have a sencond chance to fork up, maybe dey should give batsmen a second chance when dey out too.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »
what about Chambers false start, he eh get no flier he only twitched..steups...Yohan Blake twitched first in dat final anyways...look at it again.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:25:16 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »

If a sprinter goes out hopin to catch a "flier", he/she does so knowing the risk is that much greater under this new rule.

Besides...people bawlin bout how the sports biggest star get thrown out and how dat is bad for the sport.  I say bollocks.  The star shouldn't be bigger than the sport, no matter the sport.  PGA golf surviving and thriving despite Tiger Woods playing like Tiger Balm.  And if yuh watch the start good, Bolt eh jes jump de gun.  He terrorize it!  He leap out a good full second before de gun went off.  Obviously he was anticipating the gun and get ketch. 

If he so have a need to jump de gun, maybe he was worried bout somebody in de race and wasn't confident in his ability to track down that person hence the need for a flier.

I have no problem with this false start rule.  If people upset wwith this rule because an athlete doh have a sencond chance to fork up, maybe dey should give batsmen a second chance when dey out too.

Agree with most of your argument besides that bit I've highlighted.

I believe Bolt was trying for a very fast time and did not focus on his start as he should have done. He didn’t want to just win the race but to win it by an impressive margin, more headlines!!
Maybe Bolt playing up for the cameras etc to provide great entertainment for the crowds that came out to cheer for him  back fired on him this time! But let’s hope he keeps up his antics as it is great entertainment and exactly what the crowds look forward to seeing whenever Bolt appears on the track!

Every track star is allowed to mess-up once but trust me Bolt is seriously upset with himself as he wanted to create history and him false starting trying to impress the world with a ridiculously fast time will be the last false start we will ever see from Bolt in a major championship!
He was guaranteed gold if he didn't false start and was able to run the race, I could put my house on it after seeing how he won the previous races to get to the final!

On a connected note I believe the medals in the 4 x 100m relay is between JA, T&T and USA , with the silver being a close contest between T&T and USA! JA still has the gold wrapped up despite all their injuries unless they find a way to drop the baton or something like that!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:29:47 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:26:56 PM »
what about Chambers false start, he eh get no flier he only twitched..steups...Yohan Blake twitched first in dat final anyways...look at it again.

It’s not just to do with the twitching, it’s also to do with the required amount of pressure being maintained or not on the electronic censors of the starting blocks until the gun goes off.

So an athlete like Blake could have twitched yes but maybe in that instance still managed to maintained enough pressure on the starting blocks until the gun went off while Bolt did not!

I am sure Ato can confirm whether I’m right or wrong in my assertion!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:31:43 PM by Socapro »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
socapro doh rule out france in the 4x100 relay.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »

Thats right. T&T men have not done anything so far fuh me to feel confident that dem will do well as a relay team

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »

Thats right. T&T men have not done anything so far fuh me to feel confident that dem will do well as a relay team

I agree. I hope they switch callender with armstrong. Callender always runs that 3rd leg good against Bolt. I would go with KB-MB-EC-RT.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »

The argument is not whether false starting should be allowed.  It is the one-and-out rule.  Obviously, if a person false starts, he will get an advantage, but the advantage is lost if the runners are called back to the blocks and allowed to start again.  That more than anything evens the field as it tends to hold everyone into the blocks.  That one-and-out rule is stupid.  Period. The old one worked just fine and there were fewer disqualifications.  Just a bunch of non-athlete administrators tinkering with the sport.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:05 AM »
Those who know both swimming and TnF say even swimming's shortest distance takes much longer and the start is not as critical.

Reaction times for the 50 free are in the range of .6 and change to .8 and change. Compare that with .16 in track. Also, the 50 takes close to 22 seconds to finish as opposed to the 100 in track which takes 10. Just for reference. Also, I find the no tolerance rule is shit across the board.
Success will never take you by surprise.

1]; } ?>