April 25, 2024, 08:06:13 AM

Author Topic: Qantas sorry for 'racist' tweet  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Qantas sorry for 'racist' tweet
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/qantas-sorry-for-racist-tweet-but-rugby-subject-asks-whats-the-big-deal-20110828-1jgnq.html

QANTAS apologised yesterday for a publicity stunt on Twitter that backfired. The airline had awarded free tickets to the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday night to two Brisbane men who ''blacked up'' to impersonate their favourite rugby player.

The airline removed a photo running on its Twitter page yesterday of the two men dressed - and with painted faces - to look like Wallabies rugby star Radike Samo. Qantas awarded the $378 platinum tickets to the two men last week.

To win, competitors had to tell Qantas via Twitter how they intended to show their support for the Wallabies at the match. Charles Butler, from his twitter account pek_anan, promised to ''dress as Radike Samo. Complete with Afro Wig, Aus rugby kit and facepaint''.[/img]

The airline removed a photo running on its Twitter page yesterday of the two men dressed - and with painted faces - to look like Wallabies rugby star Radike Samo. Qantas awarded the $378 platinum tickets to the two men last week.

To win, competitors had to tell Qantas via Twitter how they intended to show their support for the Wallabies at the match. Charles Butler, from his twitter account pek_anan, promised to ''dress as Radike Samo. Complete with Afro Wig, Aus rugby kit and facepaint''.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Qantas sorry for 'racist' tweet
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
This ain't racist. 

The blackface minstrell artform which was effectively banished in the 1960's was racist because of its mocking/stereotyping nature...and I suppose that that is the root of the sensitivity surrounding this....but this ent racist - these guys aren't mocking black people in general...They're trying to comically impersonate a particular person, who happens to be their favorite player...

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:27:15 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:14:53 PM »
This ain't racist. 

The blackface minstrell artform which was effectively banished in the 1960's was racist because of it's mocking/stereotyping nature...and I suppose that that is the root of the sensitivity surrounding this....but this ent racist - these guys aren't mocking black people in general...They're trying to comically impersonate a particular person, who happens to be their favorite player...

Yeah boy..sometimes I feel for white people......LOL
Two islands are better than one.

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
This ain't racist. 

The blackface minstrell artform which was effectively banished in the 1960's was racist because of it's mocking/stereotyping nature...and I suppose that that is the root of the sensitivity surrounding this....but this ent racist - these guys aren't mocking black people in general...They're trying to comically impersonate a particular person, who happens to be their favorite player...

So why dey had to black up dey face etc for dat?   They coulda put on de wigs and uniforn with the number he does play with....racists c**ts.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:09 AM »
was in jfk this mornin,went to drop off meh mammy,waitn to check een and the people who got bumped over the weekend and the passengers for this mornin flight clash,tempers flair and the terms coolie and nigger was flyin all over the place.that flight go b heated.lol.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:20 AM »
This ain't racist. 

The blackface minstrell artform which was effectively banished in the 1960's was racist because of its mocking/stereotyping nature...and I suppose that that is the root of the sensitivity surrounding this....but this ent racist - these guys aren't mocking black people in general...They're trying to comically impersonate a particular person, who happens to be their favorite player...

Is that a sufficient distinction? 

It would have been wiser to restrict their homage to the hair, wouldn't you agree?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »
This ain't racist. 

So why dey had to black up dey face etc for dat?   They coulda put on de wigs and uniforn with the number he does play with....racists c**ts.

Ordinarily I inclined to agree with TC but ah go hadda lime wit kicker today

If he too dotish to vex I cyah vex fuh he

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
It would have been wiser to restrict their homage to the hair, wouldn't you agree?

Why is immitating black hair less offensive then immitating black skin?  Because certain segments of mainstream white America/Europe have embraced the "afro" as cool, fashionable or even funny, but black skin still not cool?

Look if those guys did some black-face like act where they attempted to generally personify black people in a derogatory way, then sure I'd be right there with you, but impersonating an individual person (who they actually idolize!!!) by coloring their faces black merely for the sake of loose resemblance is not racist...It's just not. 

The fact that many black people have been programmed to assume that what these kids did is some form of ridicule when it doesn't necessarily have to be perceived that way, says alot. 

Insensitive? sure... ignorant? maybe...racist? - I don't think so.  I'm ok with Qantas for deleting the tweet to be sensitive to a diverse audience with different experiences, but I can't genuinely call this racist. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:58:59 AM by kicker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
The whole point is that blackface is largely a construct of American society, and in other parts of the world it's not as inherently offensive as others.  To head off the critics, note I didn't say that it's only offensive to Americans... but I doubt too many people outside of the US and its sphere of influence (we in the Caribbean, among others, tend to be intimately in tune with American mores) would be so keenly aware of the significance and meaning.  Add to which... that fella look Polynesian to me... and not black.  So I don't think it's "dotish" at all fuh him to not be bothered by the get up.... should Indians and Pakistanis also be offended?

EDIT: Just read that he's Fijian...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
Kicker, you exchange notes with Andrew Bolt?

Source

There is no greater offence than in portraying respect as racism

OUR grievance industry is so short of customers in this tolerant land that it's going way out of its way to invent injustice and take offence.

Take this week's example.

Two white men declare a black man, Wallabies rugby star Radike Samo, is their hero and find themselves denounced as racists for their tribute.

Such is this farce that even Qantas is forced to grovel, although not even Samo felt offended.

First, some history.

Once a stereotypical racist was the kind of person who'd see a black man and think him not fully human.

But that kind of racist is thankfully hard to find these days, which leaves a whole industry of offence-takers, professional straiteners and race experts twiddling their thumbs, worrying where their next grant will come from.

In 2001, for instance, Equal Opportunity Commission Victoria's chairman admitted: "I am not aware of any conclusive evidence that suggests that discrimination is increasing."

But instead of celebrating a good job well done, the EOCV decided it needed to find more customers.

And how clever it was. It pushed the then Labor Government to pass absurdly wide new laws against racial and religious vilification that would define even more Australians as racists and bigots.

It worked brilliantly, catching people you'd never have dreamed would be hauled before the thought police.

They included a Salvation Army prison chaplain who handed biblical literature to a sex offender who was a witch, two Christian pastors who'd made their congregation laugh by accurately quoting passages from the Koran urging jihad, and a humble Herald Sun columnist who had outraged a One Nation supporter by praising Asian students generally for their study ethic -- a comment that apparently "demeaned" Anglo Saxons.

Sure, the complaints in each case were eventually dismissed, but at what cost? What worry?

Our federal race commissioners have lusted for the same solution.

One, Zita Antonias, admitted a decade ago that complaints of racism had fallen by more than a third, but we couldn't possibly be that nice: "The figures are incongruent with anecdotal evidence."

Tom Calma, who succeeded her, was so frustrated at being unable to prove we had many (white) Australian racists that he asked the Rudd government to boost the supply by changing the law, so that people accused of being racists now had to prove they were not, a reversal of the burden of proof that makes us all racists until we can show otherwise.

A witch-hunters' dream.

But, alas, there's just never enough racists to satisfy the people who make a living chasing them, or get warm fuzzies at denouncing them. Ask Qantas.

The airline had given free tickets to the Bledisloe Cup last Saturday to two Brisbane men who won a competition on Twitter to dress up as their favourite Wallaby.

Charles Butler, along with a mate, promised to dress as the Fijian-born Samo, which meant putting on an Afro wig and Wallaby gear, as well as some facepaint to look more Fijian.

Qantas thought it all a hoot and put the photos of the winners up on Twitter, only to find itself swarmed by twits claiming it was racist to look like your Fijian hero.

Who knows what other terrible things other racists might do, inspired by Qantas? Dress up like Nelson Mandela, maybe? Play Othello in blackface? Horrible stuff like that.

And so Qantas blinked. It pulled down the picture and tweeted apologies to outraged twits.

But now notice the difference in the reactions of the alleged victim of this racism, and those who preside over the grievance industry.

Here's Samo, who gladly posed with the two winners in their blackface: "These guys were actually paying me a tribute. It was a bit of fun and I think it's great that they regarded me as their favourite Wallaby."

But here's the chairman of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council, Stephen Ryan: "It is hard to believe that a company that has used Aboriginal iconography to try and improve its image didn't know that this could easily be construed as racist."

Finding racists where none exist. Detecting offence where none was meant or taken. Creating division where there was only respect.

Your grievance industry at work. I suggest we dismantle it, since the fewer incentives we give it to find trouble, the surer that it will create no more.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:10:50 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 12:17:41 PM »
Australia doesn't need to be America for blackface to be an issue. I'm not applying an American standard in concluding that what they did was not appropriate. What I will say is that an enlightened Samo would have said ... "watchnah I appreciate the homage etc. buh allyuh hadda understand that dropping it like that isn't appropriate"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:44:23 PM »
Australia doesn't need to be America for blackface to be an issue. I'm not applying an American standard in concluding that what they did was not appropriate.

No one has suggested either... seems superfluous to even mention.

What I will say is that an enlightened Samo would have said ... "watchnah I appreciate the homage etc. buh allyuh hadda understand that dropping it like that isn't appropriate"

I fail to see what "enlightened" have to do with it... perhaps even enlightened as to the history of blackface he still similarly would have taken no personal offense to it.  It's a strange coincidence and nothing more.  If anything the fault lies with Quantas for publishing the picture, not because they are complicit in perpetrating some stereotype, but because they showed a lack of discretion in bringing unnecessary harm to the brand.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »
Australia doesn't need to be America for blackface to be an issue. I'm not applying an American standard in concluding that what they did was not appropriate.

No one has suggested either... seems superfluous to even mention.

What I will say is that an enlightened Samo would have said ... "watchnah I appreciate the homage etc. buh allyuh hadda understand that dropping it like that isn't appropriate"

I fail to see what "enlightened" have to do with it... perhaps even enlightened as to the history of blackface he still similarly would have taken no personal offense to it.  It's a strange coincidence and nothing more.  If anything the fault lies with Quantas for publishing the picture, not because they are complicit in perpetrating some stereotype, but because they showed a lack of discretion in bringing unnecessary harm to the brand.

The whole point is that blackface is largely a construct of American society, and in other parts of the world it's not as inherently offensive as others.  To head off the critics, note I didn't say that it's only offensive to Americans... but I doubt too many people outside of the US and its sphere of influence (we in the Caribbean, among others, tend to be intimately in tune with American mores) would be so keenly aware of the significance and meaning.  Add to which... that fella look Polynesian to me... and not black.  So I don't think it's "dotish" at all fuh him to not be bothered by the get up.... should Indians and Pakistanis also be offended?

EDIT: Just read that he's Fijian...

Superfluous to mention you say? You provided the basis.

"Enlightened as to the history of blackface?" Come nah man ... try again! Why restrict his enlightenment?

Anyway, precisely as to that point: I liming wid Dutty on this.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:06:12 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
Superfluous to mention you say? You provided the basis.

I did no such thing... I specifically mentioned that neither the genre nor sense of offense to it were particular to the US.  I was very particular with my choice of words to as to avoid this very type of discussion... employing words such as "inherently offensive","intimately aware", "keenly in tune" etc.

Your preface then went about to make more or less the same point... that it's not limited to America or American standards.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Anyway, precisely as to that point: I liming wid Dutty on this.

Nah boy, we cyah lime,, SOE in effect it have police wit big gun to twist yuh wig and legal people putting  colloquialisms in air quotes to twis it into a literal definition....I inside
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
A-seeker, yuh didn't answer my question.  I was actually very curious to hear your take on it:

Why is immitating black hair less offensive then immitating black skin?  Because certain segments of mainstream white America/Europe have embraced the "afro" as cool, fashionable or even funny, but black skin still not cool?

You seem to imply that you felt the wig to be ok, but the skin blackening to be inappropriate...

Bakes makes a good point about the differences in culture and how it affects the interpretation of blackface - A Univ of Sydney professor made a similar point - bolded below.... The connections between the sensitivity surrounding this incident and the controversy of American blackface culture can't be dismissed though.   

I suppose the point about Radike being Fijian/polynesian and not "black" was to imply that he would not necessarily be offended as would someone of African descent - I could see that. 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/news/5523234/Qantas-red-faced-over-Samo-blackface

Qantas red-faced over Samo blackface

Qantas has been embarrassed by a publicity stunt on Twitter that backfired. The airline yesterday issued an apology for awarding free tickets to the Bledisloe Cup on Saturday night to two Brisbane men who "blacked up" to impersonate their favourite Wallaby.

It removed a photo on its Twitter page of the two men dressed - and face-painted - to look like the Wallabies star Radike Samo. Qantas had awarded the men the A$378 platinum tickets last week.

To win, competitors had to tell Qantas via Twitter how they intended to show their support for the Wallabies at the match. Charles Butler, on his Twitter account pek-anan, promised to "dress as Radike Samo. Complete with Afro Wig, Aus rugby kit and facepaint". He and another man later got Samo to pose in a photograph with them in their wigs, and with their faces painted black. Qantas's Twitter account tweeted an image of the two men yesterday, saying they had "lived up to their promise! Good work".

However a stream of posts called the photo racist and said it was reminiscent of a 2009 Hey Hey It's Saturday "blackface" routine that caused a storm, and which American entertainer Harry Connick Jr - who was appearing on the show - reacted to with horror. The airline immediately took down the photo, sending apologetic tweets to people who said it was racist.

Qantas spokeswoman Sophia Connelly said: "We apologise that the photo offended some people." She later rang back with a statement provided to Qantas by Samo that said he did not know what all the fuss was about. "These guys were actually paying me a tribute. It was a bit of fun, and I think they regarded me as their favourite Wallaby. I don't have an issue with it at all, I was glad to be in a photo with them."

Benjamin Miller, the associate director of the Writing Hub at the University of Sydney, said there was a difference with rugby fans blacking up as a tribute to players, rather than in mockery. "The problem for blackface for tribute is whether everyone looking at it understands it that way," Dr Miller, who in 2009 wrote a PhD on blackface in Australian and American culture, said. "It's a dangerous form of tribute in that it can so easily be misread as mockery. You certainly don't get non-white rugby fans dressing up in whiteface."
Stephen Ryan, the chairman of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council, said he was shocked by the behaviour of the men, but more stunned that Qantas "wouldn't have known such a stunt could backfire It's hard to believe that a company that has used Aboriginal iconography to try and improve its image didn't know that this could easily be construed as racist".

Ryan said. "There's nothing funny about the demonisation of indigenous people by non-indigenous people. Never has been, never will be."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:52 AM »
I'll say this:

1. Australia is not out there is some sociocultural netherworld that has completely removed it from a global understanding of race dynamics.

2. How 'black' is defined varies in a trans-cultural context. Look at how Samo has been defined by the dominant culture. Some folks need to beef up on Polynesia.

3. Australia's particular experience with race renders Quantas' initial perspective somewhat incredulous ... the fact that some Aussies got it underlines this. Miller gets it also. He acknowledges the most critical point which is that although its intent was allegedly benign, it is socially problematic.

4. With respect to Bolt's article and related comments ... re: the grievance industry etc. ... How about he et al don't get to define what "the other" finds offensive? Sure, he has a place in the social discourse but after the historical reality does/should he really get to also define Stephen Ryan's perspective?

5. My ________ pursued undergraduate studies in Aus and he would not have been grinning and hooping it up for a photo had there been an innocuous "tribute" paid to him by a  fellow hall resident for being cool as _______ or for whatever else he excelled in.

6. People bleach their skin for the inversely correlative reason why blackface and "skin blackening" are derisive. Wigs bear a completely different dimension ... yet for as many black women that are strolling around in blonde wigs, I am yet to see a white woman don an afro wig as part of her established couture.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »
People bleach their skin for the inversely correlative reason why blackface and "skin blackening" are derisive. Wigs bear a completely different dimension ... yet for as many black women that are strolling around in blonde wigs, I am yet to see a white woman don an afro wig as part of her established couture.

I'm not following you

Firstly I'm not not sure if I agree with the relationship you described between skin blackening and skin bleaching....that aside what those guys did is NOT on the same level as skin bleaching...So the point that skin bleaching and wig wearing bear "different dimensions" is off the bat irrelevant. These kids painted their faces... There was obviously no attempt to actually attain a different skin color...  In fact it's actually closer to the same level as wig wearing in this context because these wigs were blatantly and obviously costumes!! Your attempt at logic appears self-contradictory. 

You then compound the contradiction (probably without realizing) by using an example that suggests that the reason for wearing wigs (blonde wigs worn by black women...and NOT the reverse) is actually as you say "the inversely correlative reason why blackface and "skin blackening" are derisive. "

So the question to you remains:

Why is immitating black hair less offensive then immitating black skin?  Or are you conceding that they are actually on the same level?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:23:25 AM by kicker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
People bleach their skin for the inversely correlative reason why blackface and "skin blackening" are derisive. Wigs bear a completely different dimension ... yet for as many black women that are strolling around in blonde wigs, I am yet to see a white woman don an afro wig as part of her established couture.

I'm not following you

Firstly I'm not not sure if I agree with the relationship you described between skin blackening and skin bleaching....that aside what those guys did is NOT on the same level as skin bleaching...So the point that skin bleaching and wig wearing bear "different dimensions" is off the bat irrelevant. These kids painted their faces... There was obviously no attempt to actually attain a different skin color...  In fact it's actually closer to the same level as wig wearing in this context because these wigs were blatantly and obviously costumes!! Your attempt at logic appears self-contradictory. 

You then compound the contradiction (probably without realizing) by using an example that suggests that the reason for wearing wigs (blonde wigs worn by black women...and NOT the reverse) is actually as you say "the inversely correlative reason why blackface and "skin blackening" are derisive. "

So the question to you remains:

Why is immitating black hair less offensive then immitating black skin?  Or are you conceding that they are actually on the same level?

I didn't assert that what those guys did is, as you put it, "on the same level as skin bleaching"? Out of curiosity, what level would that be? Regardless, degree or order or level is not fundamental to the issue here.

Just because you deem it irrelevant or don't get the relevance doesn't mean it is de facto irrelevant. Newsflash: the people who are skin bleaching also regard what they are doing as innocuous ... just like the two guys ostensibly paying tribute to Radike Samo ... however, that doesn't mean that either action lacks deleterious effects or doesn't possess collectively deleterious implications, does it?

Again I state: People bleach their skin for the inversely correlative reason why blackface and "skin blackening" are derisive.

You seem to have convinced yourself that I'm confused. Let me attempt to disabuse you of that confused notion.

There has been a premium on white skin at some point in history. Do you accept this? As mores and valuation regarding that premium on white skin shifted ... blackface and similar manifestations grew less palatable, eventually were frowned upon, and ultimately were outright denounced. Skin bleaching is also tied to the referenced premium on white skin. Even as social norms shifted regarding the premium on white skin, there still remained, and remains, a premium on white skin. Some people engage that premium via skin bleaching. That establishes the nexus.

It is disingenuous to assert that the young men didn't actually intend to achieve a different skin colour ...  that is rampantly immaterial ... even the blackfacers of old didn't intend to achieve a different skin colour. Did that mitigate what they were doing? Absolutely not.

The perceived insensitivity respecting this circumstance in Australia (REGARDLESS OF THE LACK OF HARM INTENDED) is tied to this irrefutable premium on white skin ... none of the commentators on the issue reject this ... (perhaps you might?)

Wigs are a different dimension. I stand by that statement.

Your issue is that you are immersed in being an apologist for a circumstance that holds more than cosmetic value.  I accept that on the surface the two young men probably meant no harm. Does the issue end there? Only for someone who masks impropriety with an attack on political correctness (see the post below).

What is your issue with airlines and branding?  :) You would drive business into the ground.  ;D Couple weeks ago you didn't see any issue with Cathay Pacific's response respecting the phallus in the cockpit. Now this week you think Quantas should have bubbled on and whistled like nobody's business.(see the post below the post below).

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:38:37 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
Political correctness officers on the prowl

POLITICAL correctness is back with a vengeance. The Radike Samo farce is just one example of its rise, as jackpot bullies thrive around us and cyberspace.

JUST when we thought political correctness was on the way out, ridiculed to death by South Park and Borat and a cynical generation Y, back it comes stronger than ever.

The resurgence of culturally mandated conformity creeps up on you unawares, like when you don't take the full course of antibiotics for an infection.

The virulence of the PC disease was seen this week in the Radike Samo blackface furore, which made headlines around the world.

The treatment of the two hapless Wallabies fans who donned Afro wigs and painted their faces black to honour their favourite player, who is of Fijian heritage, serves as a cautionary tale for anyone who believes we live in relaxed times.

Cultural wowsers went feral on Twitter after Wallabies sponsor Qantas posted a picture of Brisbane man Charles Butler and his friend dressed like Samo and declared them the winners of a competition for supportive fans.

Qantas, being a typical lily-livered corporate, issued an abject apology. The young men were publicly shamed as "racists", despite the fact Samo loved their tribute to him and even posed for pictures with them.

"These guys were actually paying me a tribute. It was a bit of fun and I think it's great that they regarded me as their favourite Wallaby," he said. "I don't know why anyone's getting worked up, that sort of reaction is just silly."

Yes it is silly. But it is also sinister that a reflexive flexing of muscles by troublemaking, self-righteous busybodies on a microblogging site should be so rewarded.
??? ??? ???

Another storm a few days earlier erupted when Channel 9 presenter Karl Stefanovic made a bawdy joke about colleague Richard Wilkins in a speech to launch his memoirs.

"I know three things about Richard Wilkins: great bloke, big hair, massive c---," was his opening line to an audience of media types in Kings Cross club Kit and Kaboodle.

The joke may have been a bit off-colour for polite company, but Wilkins didn't mind. The crowd roared with laughter, but then the tut-tutters began to make trouble.

Calls were made for Stefanovic to explain himself. To his credit, he refused. "Mate, I'm not going to stop having a good time in life. I just hope we're not turning into a society of wowsers." Good for him.

Wowsers have always existed just under the surface of this former penal colony, and emerge when political and social conditions are right, as they are now under the Green-Gillard coalition.

The state is jumping in too, with Victoria's charter of rights one official method of paying lawyers $13.5 million in taxpayers' money to enforce political correctness.

The control freakery is not just about correcting people's behaviour. It's about using language to correct their thoughts.

For instance, a friend who is studying education was astonished to find in one of her textbooks, that the new national history curriculum is to require people to use the term "BP" from now on, rather than the traditional "BC".

BC, of course, was the historical term used to denote the time "before Christ", that is, before the birth of Jesus.

This is now deemed to be an offensive idea, which must be erased from the minds of Australian children. So instead we are to replace it with the nonsensical term BP, which stands for "before present", in an effort to stamp out Christ in the new curriculum.

History is always ripe for politically correct redesign, as we saw in Sydney City Council's rewriting of all its official documents to insert the term "invasion".

And, as the 10th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks looms, there is even a quarrel over whether Muslims should be mentioned.

Never mind that the men who flew planes into New York's twin towers were all Islamist terrorists bent on jihad against the satanic West.

Those inconvenient facts must be sanitised from a colouring book for children, which has drawn the ire of America's PC brigade.

The book, titled We shall never forget 9/11 states that "freedom-hating radical Islamic Muslim extremists" attacked America because they "hate the American way of life", which is a pretty accurate statement of the terrorists' motives.

But the Council on American-Islamic Relations has joined a chorus slamming the sentiment as dangerous. The book hasn't yet been banned.

THE executive producer of the popular ABC Sunday night British drama Midsomer Murders wasn't so lucky. Brian True-May was suspended and ultimately lost his job because he told an interviewer that the detective series was successful because it represented the "last bastion of Englishness" and suggested it wouldn't work as well if the cast were more ethnically diverse.

True-May's employers, ITV, immediately suspended him for these "inappropriate" comments, and announced he would be leaving the show at the end of the current production run.

Embracing homosexuality in all things, especially marriage, is another cultural imperative of the wowsers. It is now "homophobic" to say that a child is entitled to a mother and a father, as a questioner on the ABC's Q&A recently put it.

And woe betide anyone who objects to the push to get Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie to have a gay wedding.

It used to be just the "N word" in Huckleberry Finn or the golliwogs in Enid Blyton's writing that were verboten.

Hmm, Aussies KNOW the N_word!?

Now it's the word "faggot" coming under fire, with the Dire Straits hit song Money for Nothing banned from Canadian radio earlier this year by the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, because the word appears three times.

Even bogans have become sacred cows, with a three-minute Queensland tourism ad recently coming under fire for poking fun at "Aussie bogans, hicks and hillbillies".

Social media has merely amplified the wowsers' power and control. You can no longer make a joke without the twitterati taking it out of contest and maliciously using it to make trouble.

This is why so many people loved Charlie Sheen, who is wild and reckless enough to snub his nose at all conventions because these days the most powerful establishment is the one that enforces political correctness, because it is the fastest way to change our culture.

Wowsers have replaced the churches as guardians of morality; only theirs is a chaotic set of vaguely defined mores with no obvious benefit to society. They just trap the unwary, and force everyone to become more guarded. (Yuh don't say!?)

High dudgeon is encouraged. Overblown outrage is clearly the order of the day.

Taken to its extreme, the new wowserism becomes a form of totalitarianism, in which people are punished for "thought crimes".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/pc-officers-on-the-prowl/story-e6frfhqf-1226126813108
devinemiranda@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:32:53 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 01:35:47 PM »
Blackface backfires on Qantas Airways
(Christian Science Monitor)

Poor Qantas Airways. Although it has associated itself with cuddly Australian wildlife like koalas and kangaroos over the years – and has never suffered a jetliner crash – the Australian carrier has suddenly landed in a prickly patch.

Earlier this month, it announced it was cutting 1,000 jobs and restructuring its money-losing international operations. Its engineers have started a one-hour-a-week walkout. Its management is trying to quash takeover talk. Now the airline is in trouble with its social media fans.

In a Twitter contest last week, it offered two tickets to an international rugby match to fans with the best show of support for the national Australian team. The carrier awarded the prize to two white men who donned blackface and wigs to honor their favorite player, a black star from Fiji called Radike Samo.

That touched off a furious response from some Qantas fans on social media networks. The carrier pulled the ad and apologized. But it didn’t end there. According to the Daily Mail in London:

Qantas originally tweeted: 'We understand it caused offense to some people, which is why it was removed. We are really sorry if it has upset anyone.'

But that only served to anger offended Twitter users more, with one typical response reading: 'Cut it out with the faux pologies. Say you're sorry for posting the photo that DID offend people (not if). What that image represents to most people is appalling.'

Another wrote: 'For company like @Qantasairways [which claims] to represent our nation, this is completely unacceptable.'

Qantas finally issued a longer apology, in which it said: 'We apologise that the photo of two Radike fans offended some of our followers.'

That social media blowup came less than two weeks after Qantas announced it would shift its international focus to the fast-growing Asian market by creating two new airlines: a premium Asian carrier not based in Australia and, in partnership with Japan Airlines and Mitsubishi, a budget Japanese airline.

Qantas needs to shake up its operations to forestall more international losses, the carrier’s chief executive argues. But the plan has drawn sharp criticism from Australian labor and government officials.

Qantas has to find a way to become cuddly again.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/new-economy/2011/0830/Blackface-backfires-on-Qantas-Airways

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
Seeker you are misunderstanding and misrepresenting what I'm saying...too much work to respond in kind though...so I'll leave it be. 

As for the airlines thing, I posted that I totally understand Qantas pulling the tweet down to be sensitive to their customer base - again you misrepresent that. 

As for the other airline, I disagreed with them firing the employee, as a brand maintenance move -because I don't think the brand of the airline would have truly been affected either way...I said, if they're firing him, fire him for inappropriate behavior on work premises... I see it as a separate issue.  I would NOT disagree with them pulling the pics/video (or whatever it was) of the incident from public access to protect the sensitivity of their customer base. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:59:57 PM by kicker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 03:55:50 AM »
Seeker you are misunderstanding and misrepresenting what I'm saying...too much work to respond in kind though...so I'll leave it be. 

As for the airlines thing, I posted that I totally understand Qantas pulling the tweet down to be sensitive to their customer base - again you misrepresent that.

Is that what you meant by:

...  I'm ok with Qantas for deleting the tweet to be sensitive to a diverse audience with different experiences, but I can't genuinely call this racist. 

Quite the euphemism there, kicker.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 03:57:27 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 07:50:24 AM »
Yes that's what I meant.

I don't see the euphemism you're talking about. 

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »

Probably because white racists the world over, including Australia have traditionally used and abused skin colour, to a far greater extent than hair texture as a weapon to entrench uneven social relations, and as the defining characteristic of a permanent 'otherness'. Whites dress up in blackface, not in blackhead.

So why dey had to black up dey face etc for dat?   They coulda put on de wigs and uniforn with the number he does play with....racists c**ts.

To paraphrase Hank Aaron...'On the field we are worshipped as giants. But when our playing days are over, its back to the back of the bus for us'.

Maybe if some black people had to siddung right next to these two ca-caholes during a game and endure the stadium laughing at their 'Golliwog' antics they might change their opinon.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:34:10 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »
Posted by Zando:
Maybe if some black people had to siddung right next to these two ca-caholes during a game and endure the stadium laughing at their 'Golliwog' antics they might change their opinon.

Zeen ... Talk yuh talk.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:51:03 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:38 PM »
Thanks Zando - reasonable and straightforward answer.  Not sure if I agree - I think African hair texture has been demeaned as much as African skin color (if not more) throughout history... but that's a matter of opinion.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 10:17:08 PM »
Kicker, I anoint you the master of convenient truths.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
I think the word 'racist' has been bandied about so much that it's true meaning has been lost in the tides of political correctness. There is a difference between 'racism' and 'poor judgement'.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »
I think the word 'racist' has been bandied about so much that it's true meaning has been lost in the tides of political correctness. There is a difference between 'racism' and 'poor judgement'.

Bingo... and sometimes not even "poor", because that implies a weighing of the pros and cons before making a decision.  Sometimes it's just "unfortunate" decisions, which I think is the case here.

1]; } ?>