March 29, 2024, 06:01:09 AM

Author Topic: TTFF invites 2006 W/Cup players to 2014 opener.  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
TTFF invites 2006 W/Cup players to 2014 opener.
« on: August 30, 2011, 04:04:11 AM »
TTFF invites 2006 W/Cup players to 2014 opener.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation has extended an invitation to members of the 2006 World Cup squad to witness Friday’s opening match of the 2014 World Cup Qualifying campaign between this country and Bermuda at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 4pm.

The invitation was passed on by All Sport Promotions Director Anthony Harford on behalf of the TTFF, Harford is overseeing all marketing and promotions for the 2014 World Cup campaign.

“I have already spoken to Brent Sancho and he’s accepted the invitation on behalf of the members of the 2006 team and of course the invitation has also been passed on to the other members.

These players are still held in high regards and we thought it would be fitting to have them as our guests for the opening match of the campaign,” Harford told TTFF Media.

Members of the 2006 team in the current team include Stern John, Anthony Wolfe, Carlos Edwards, Kenwyne Jones, Chris Birchall, Densill Theobald and Stern John.

“Overall all efforts are being carried out and final arrangements including proper security measures are in place to ensure Friday’s match comes off as smoothly as possible and of course we are hoping that the fans turn out in large numbers to witness the start of the qualification for Brazil 2014.

Tickets are on sale throughout the week at all Kenny’s Sports Outlets and at All Sports and will also be on sale at the venue on Friday.” Harford added.

A similar invitation has also been extended to the Trinidad and Tobago 20/20 cricket team and members of the West Indies cricket team who will be in the country on the weekend.

Meantime,  national head coach Otto Pfister welcomed Carlos Edwards, Khaleem Hyland, Anthony Warner, Clyde Leon, Julius James and Jake Thomson in his training session on Monday morning at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. Pfister addressed the players prior to his session which lasted for two hours.

The other members expected in on Monday evening were Stoke City’s Kenwyne Jones, La Galaxy’s Chris Birchall and Slovakia-based winger Lester Peltier. Keon Daniel and Andre Boucaud are expected on Tuesday.

Warner, who made his debut for T&T in a 2-0 win over Iceland in February 2006 in London, said he was anticipating his return to the team, adding that his hopes of playing in a World Cup was renewed by this call up.

“I was always available. I got called for the game versus Cuba in the last campaign. I just waited for the moment to arrive. Definitely now the dreams of playing in a World Cup are still alive especially now with this call up at this early stage of the qualifying.

I think that’s what went against me last time when I was playing at a good level of football but I wasn’t involved in the early stages of the qualification. But to come in now at the start is a good opportunity for me and I’m looking forward to it,” Warner told TTFF Media.

The former Liverpool and Celtic custodian mentioned that he was in no way underestimating Bermuda’s chances having found out that they upset T&T 2-1 in the opening match of the 2010 campaign.

“You need to get as many points on the board as you possibly can in this qualification. I won’t be taken them (Bermuda) lightly and I don’t think the Trinidad and Tobago team will settle for anything other than a convincing victory.”

And after arriving in Fort Lauderdale for a training camp ahead of their arrival in Port of Spain on Wednesday, Bermudan head coach Devarr Boyle said while in the past Bermuda have had a long preparation time for international matches, the Island is now operating like most other nations and will only have a five-day build-up.

Boyles though believes that should be ample time to gel the team into a unit, especially as the players concerned all know what roles they are expected to perform, the Royal Gazette stated.

“Our problem really is establishing what is Bermudian,” said Boyles, “so for the next few years it will be a lot of movement in that direction, both from clubs as well as what we are doing at the national level to come up with something that we can identify as Bermudian.

“I don’t see the small amount of preparation time as being any problem in actual fact. We have profiles for position, players are matching those profiles, so when it comes to individuals it’s just a matter of performing individually well, and collectively it results in a good performance.”

Bermuda’s Bradford City striker Nahki Wells scored for his club in their 4-2 win over Barnet on the weekend and later said it was the ideal confident booster for him ahead of Friday’s qualifier.

“I knew I had to go into that game and do well and leave a good account for myself before I travel knowing that if I did well as soon as a get back I would be a part of the plans no matter what happens,” Wells said.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 04:06:49 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: TTFF invites 2006 W/Cup players to 2014 opener.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:26:46 AM »
Members of the 2006 team in the current team include Stern John, Anthony Wolfe, Carlos Edwards, Kenwyne Jones, Chris Birchall, Densill Theobald and Stern John.

This is good news as we sure to get goals if both of them start :rotfl:

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
In a short period of time my feelings about the team and our chances in this campaign have changed dramatically - in a positive way. I feel a lot more hopeful than I did a few weeks ago.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »
i agreee yea...things looking positive and it really sounds ke Pfister is commanding the respect and discipline the game callls for. Them mussey fraid that german accent o sumpting...

all in alll...things SOUNDING rel good right now. :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
DOH GO!!!!!!! They will deduct the admission, food and drinks from the money they owe alyuh.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
DOH GO!!!!!!! They will deduct the admission, food and drinks from the money they owe alyuh.

:rotfl:
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »
I was hoping to hear some more direct responses to the headline above but it seems like no big thing,this is something i always hoped for,the fighting and hate will get Football no where,it so nice to see so much of the 06 players on the national team and involved in T&T Football,two wrongs don't make things right and i appreciate the TTFF taking this step which i think they have tried too and reach out in a positive way to these guys because they do deserve to be appreciated.
Doh worry with them boy Sancho,you go and represent who eh there,you are the voice of the future. :beermug: 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
WWWWWWWHHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTT? ?? ? ??!!!!!!   :o :o :o

Its a trick!!!  Doh go fellas!!!  Doh goh!!!  Dey goh slip something in the drinks and get all yuh sign away the court case!!!! 

I only responding to the headline.....I goh read the rest later..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »
I was hoping to hear some more direct responses to the headline above but it seems like no big thing,this is something i always hoped for,the fighting and hate will get Football no where,it so nice to see so much of the 06 players on the national team and involved in T&T Football,two wrongs don't make things right and i appreciate the TTFF taking this step which i think they have tried too and reach out in a positive way to these guys because they do deserve to be appreciated.
Doh worry with them boy Sancho,you go and represent who eh there,you are the voice of the future. :beermug: 

Agreeed this is a token of respect that is long over due...first step in the right direction... :beermug:

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
ah was jess brwosing and came across this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnarv2b3Ag8
 :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:18:29 AM »
I'm waiting for the headline:

TTFF invites 2006 W/Cup players to Office to pay them their belated bonuses.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

before I could start taking this current World Cup qualification campaign seriously!!

So far the TTFF ain’t show the court proper 2006 W/Cup accounts yet and haven't paid the players what they owing them and until such time we only mamaguying weself about moving our football forward!

I hope the players realise that there is an ulterior motive here which is not for their benefit or the future benefit of T&T football!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:23:43 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »

This is good news as we sure to get goals if both of them start :rotfl:

:rotfl:

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »
This is a kind gesture but cricketeers before some of our past heroes of world cup football ! They should also include players from the 1965,1973 and 1989 squads and their coaches who are still around! they paved the way!
I hope this is not a gimmick! Football did not start in 2006 but in T&T they show little respect for those who went before! Do you see how they do it in  the US or even in Jamaica and Barbados!

1]; } ?>